Start by marking “Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather, #1)” as Want to Read:
Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather, #1)

Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,478 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews

Young witch, Stella, has to put her faith in strangers just to stay alive but she might not be any safer in their midst than from the danger she is running from.

Published May 1st 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Illicit Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illicit Magic

Laura the Highland Hussy
Jul 09, 2011 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it
Reviewed for http://www.gotfiction.com/2011/11/ill...

***spoilers ahead, ye be warned***

Wow, so as many of you can see, this is not my usual fare.

This was recommended to me by a friend (that's you Jackie) and I was told that this book would appeal to the YA group who wanted an older cast of characters. Since the main reason I don't read YA is that I actually get irritated with the teens, I thought this might be a nice change. Stella, our protagonist, is 24. She's spent her life in London's foste
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
Apr 10, 2012 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Ages 12 and up

I am beside myself after reading this book. The story line is amazing and with some exceptional direction and editing it could be a hidden treasure. It was very daunting for me to read. I had to force myself to slow down my reading speed so I wouldn’t get lost in plot line. The grammar mistakes were plastered throughout leaving me questioning why the author chose not to use an editor, or at least a proofreader before publishing.

***SIDE NOTE*** If I can get my hand on a PDF version that I can co
Bry
Oct 01, 2011 Bry rated it it was ok
Well this started out promising. No really it did. I liked Stella at first, liked the plot with the Brotherhood killing off the witches. Liked how Stella was suddenly dropped into a new world with new characters, new rules, and a new way of life.

Sadly it all derailed like a damn train wreck. In the end though it was another cliche filled book with a heroine who is an idiot, secondary characters who never get more than a passing glimpse of a personality, and a predictable plot that failed to answ
Jill
Mar 24, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2r
I enjoyed this book. It was really a simple tale of a girl finding out about herself and coming to grips with it. Stella is really just an average girl trying to survive in a world where people don't really like her. Then a group of mysterious men try to kill her and she is thrust into a world she had no idea existed.

I did like how the author let the story unravel rather than forcing a lot of background noise at me. We discovered what was going on as Stella discovered it. There are several myst
Jackie
Jun 17, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA lovers who wish to transition to older characters than teens
Recommended to Jackie by: Belinda Boring
Illicit Magic
Goodreads Blurb

Kelly/yllektra
May 21, 2011 Kelly/yllektra rated it really liked it
This was a great start to a new series.
Stella Mayweather is a 24-year-old woman who has grown up in foster care and is searching for her place in the world.
Life has been even more difficult for her, because accidents keep happening around her, to people that threaten her or make her afraid, which of course caused her to change several foster families.
Not that she can really control it, but her reputation as a "witch" on account of that, is more literal than she would think.
Stella is reluctant t
Ann
Sep 06, 2013 Ann rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who don't require books to make a lick of sense.
Recommended to Ann by: Amazon.
Well, I made it through this novel, I think I deserve a prize.
It very much reads like a YA novel, but the heroine is 24 - even though she acts like a dim 17 year old (I have a 17 year old, I know how they act :P ).
There are many, many flaws with the premise of the book, with the spelling and grammar... makes you wonder if anyone still employs editors. Most amusing mistake by far, was when she ran her fingers 'threw' her hair. I would be so annoyed if someone threw MY hair!
The one thing I will
Samantha
Mar 14, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-romance
Illicit Magic written by Camilla Chafer was a delightful read. While the story was faced pace with lots of action, the author wrote the characters in such a way that the reader gained empathy and other such emotional ties to them. The world built was a fascinating one that brought new experiences to the reader. It was exciting to explore the world where there are all manners of supernatural creatures with frightening conspiracies and antagonists. It was pleasant that the author didn’t immediatel ...more
Stacy
Feb 14, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it
Stella grew up in the foster system. She remembers nothing about her parents or where she came from but she knows that she is being hunted by the people that have murdered other woman around the world and when a mysterious woman shows up at her door claiming she is a witch she has no choice but to go with her and save herself from the hunters that are about to break down her door.

Stella knows she is different but she never imagined that there were other witches that could teach her how to use h
Alex Owens
Oct 12, 2012 Alex Owens rated it really liked it
This book started off a little wobbly for me. It wasn't the pacing (because a lot happened in the beginning) so I'm thinking it was the amount of backstory woven into the start of the novel.

But after I pressed on, things certainly got more interesting and I'm glad I did read it to completion. The "magic" was neat, and I found the training parts interesting and nicely done. The romance factor during the second half of the book was very nicely done.

There is a bit of a cliffhanger ending, but it'
Evelyn Carrillo
May 16, 2011 Evelyn Carrillo rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and am looking forward to the next one.
Megan
I really found myself enjoying this book. It just made me laugh and chuckle.

I wasn't so happy with the near love triangle, just because its typical YA stuff.
What also bothered me was we weren't seeing her power very much, I was reading shes special etc but not seeing it. It was rather slow to be introduced, which is fine. I think if she just suddenly came into power that would be worse.

Would love to continue this! The cover is beautiful btw.
Samantha
Jan 01, 2017 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I want the whole series! Beautifully written to keep me constantly wanting more. Reminded me of an adult Harry Potter almost. A girls parents are killed when she is 5 and she's forced into the foster system. An adult now she is attacked by zealots and rescued by a girl who has all the answers but gives none. Spectacular read.
Bri Valentine
Dec 14, 2016 Bri Valentine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous read

I enjoyed meeting the characters and living through some truly terrible and utterly wonderful times in the life of a newly minted witch. I look forward to the next novel.
Rebecca
Mar 07, 2017 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
The ending isn't quite fully satisfying, but mostly and it is a reasonable break in terms of plot and character development. I would read more if given the opportunity. Very solid 3
Dorine
Oct 14, 2016 Dorine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute Story

This was a cute story and I enjoyed it very much. Although it's geared more toward young adults, anyone who likes a good witch tale will be easily entertained by this book. I'll check out the next book in the series, but Will need to read a couple books with a different genre first.
Ruairí Gildernew
Oct 10, 2016 Ruairí Gildernew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly enjoyable read

A wee bit slow to get going but despite this being a departure from the type of book I'd normally read I found it very enjoyable and a book I looked forward to picking up. I got this as a freebie and haven't quite decided whether or not to buy more in the series but I'm definitely tempted which is unusual four me.
Penumbra
Told in first person through the eyes of Stella Mayweather a woman with uncontrolled powers who doesn’t know she is a witch. She’s hunted by the ‘Brotherhood’ and rescued by Etoile another witch, and taken to safety in the United States. There she learns about her powers.

(view spoiler)
Sheri Wilkerson
Sep 20, 2013 Sheri Wilkerson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, paranormal, magic
I have to admit--free books are one of the great perks of owning an e-reader. I have discovered authors I would have never read otherwise because I saw a free book and thought "Eh, if I don't like it at least I am not out any money for it!" One of those authors is quickly becoming a favorite. Her name is Camilla Chafer and I recently wrote a review for the first book in her Lexi Graves series titled Armed and Fabulous.

Now Camilla is back with a new heroine in the figure of Stella Mayweather. In
Janine
Dec 15, 2016 Janine rated it it was amazing
This was the second time I’ve read „Illicit Magic“ and it still awed me. I‘ve recently bought the last part of the Stella Mayweather series so I felt the need to reread the first five books before I can finally get to how it will all come to an end. That’s also the perfect opportunity to leave my thoughts on this one and the other books.
„Illicit Magic“ is a fast-paced urban-fantasy story containing a lot of magic and love. Of both Stella does not know that much about especially not about the for
Inessa
Apr 07, 2012 Inessa rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Mon avis en français : http://betweendandr.blogspot.com/2012...

My English review : http://betweendandr.blogspot.com/2012...

It's been awhile since I hadn’t read a novel about witches. So I was very curious to get into this one.

Well, I have to confess that it was difficult for me to hold on to the story, especially at the beginning. There are too many descriptions, too many details that we could easily do without. I found the first two chapters particularly long. Fortunately, continuing my reading
Mpb
Dec 08, 2012 Mpb rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather #1) Goodreads Synopsis:

There is more than one dark secret in her new family: Étoile’s sister is spoken of in fear and sadness; Marc is supposed to be a powerful witch but is missing his magic; where does the owner of their
Lissette
Jan 11, 2012 Lissette rated it it was amazing
With her parents taken from her at a very early age, Stella Mayweather has spent most of her young life bounced around from foster home to foster home. The existence of unexplained powers has caused her to live a solitary existence, something she much prefers, since it allows her to live in anonymity. Keeping away from others is the only way she can ensure no one else gets hurt when bursts of her powers surface unexpectedly. Yet, at times, she yearns to have someone she can depend on. To have th ...more
Bookswithbenefits
Jan 31, 2013 Bookswithbenefits rated it really liked it
Synopsis: More than three hundred years after the most terrifying witch hunts the world has ever known, it's happening again.

When an attack by ruthless witch hunters forces twenty-four-year-old Stella from her home in London into the protection of the powerful Witch Council in New York, she has to put her faith in strangers just to stay alive, yet she might not be any safer in their midst than the danger she escaped.

Hidden from the Brotherhood in an extraordinary safe house by the sea where she
Kristen
Jun 21, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
GENRE: YA Paranormal Romance
THEME: Witches/ Magic
RECEIVED: The Bookish Snob Book Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Illicit Magic was a wonderful surprise and I was happy to be asked to review this magical new series. This is a story full magic, mystery and lots of unexpected action and of course the romance.

Stella Maryweather is a young woman who lives a life of temp jobs, moving around from place to place trying not to make people uncomfortable. For some reason since she can rem
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Apr 4 2012:

Witches. Haven’t read a lot of PNR with them for some reason. I’m diversifying my PNR reads so I thought some witching romance was in order.

The plot of this novel was interesting. It combined some elements that generally work very well for me, romance, some mystery, some action, some humor. By large it would have been a hit, but combinations tend to be unpredictable. Though there were a lot of lines that were fun to read, I somehow didn’
J.C. Andrijeski
Apr 05, 2012 J.C. Andrijeski rated it really liked it
For some reason I really struggled with the beginning of this book...so much so that I actually reread it three times, and almost chalked it up to, "this just isn't my cup of tea." But when I got past that first chunk, I really got sucked in and from that moment read it straight through to the end. I liked the overall tone, which was a little more grounded-seeming to me for some reason, despite the premise...perhaps because of the main character's voice which wasn't as melodramatic as a lot of f ...more
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Romancing the Dark Side Review:

A wonderful debut filled with magic, mystery and romance!

In Illicit Magic we're introduced to Stella Mayweather, a twenty four year old who lives a solitary life in England due to her special abilities that she brushes off as her simply being accident prone. Her boring life soon becomes quite the opposite on a night when she's followed and nearly kidnapped by a group of men called the Brotherhood, who believe she is a witch. Barely escaping, Stella rushes home wh
Charlayne
Mar 19, 2012 Charlayne rated it liked it
Stella Mayweather works at a temporary clerks job in London and lives in a very small, run-down flat after growing up in a series of foster homes. She’s odd, everyone either knows it or figures it out and soon she moves on because people can’t handle being around her because of that oddity.

And the news reports are filled with stories of women around Europe and then in England are getting taken and put into bonfires, burned to death as witches. In this day and time, someone called the Brotherhood
The_Book_Queen

The review that follow is a partial review. To read the full review, please visit TBQ's Book Palace!

~*~*~*~*~*~
Illicit Magic begins the story of Stella Mayweather, who has just found out that she's a witch. As she slowly starts to learn the craft, as well as how to perfect her gifts, she finds herself running from the Brotherhood, a group that is scouring the world, burning witches alive. As if that wasn't enough, while staying at a safe home with other magic weavers, someone close to the group
CLOSED 100% off coupon for Illicit Magic 3 11 Apr 01, 2012 06:22AM
Shut Up & Read: Illicit Magic by Camilla Chafer 1 11 Mar 20, 2012 04:33PM
  • Banshee Charmer (Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency #1)
  • Illegal Magic
  • Voodoo Dues (Lian and Figg #1)
  • Sunrise at Sunset
  • Bound to Remember (Spellbound, #1)
  • Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil, #1)
  • My Enchanted Life
  • Witch's Bell 1 (Witch's Bell #1)
  • The Demon Kiss (Of Witches and Warlocks, #2)
  • Lucky Charm
  • The Sweetheart Hoax
  • Demon's Moon (Thaumatology, #2)
  • The Demon's Apprentice (The Demon's Apprentice, #1)
  • Keeper of the Lost Souls (Keeper Witches, #1)
  • True of Blood (Witch Fairy, #1)
  • No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells (Mystic Cafe, #1)
  • Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
Hi! I'm a USA Today bestselling author of mystery and urban fantasy novels. I'm also a freelance journalist and have written for newspapers, magazines and websites throughout the world.

I live in London, UK, with my family.
More about Camilla Chafer...

Stella Mayweather (6 books)
  • Unruly Magic (Stella Mayweather, #2)
  • Devious Magic (Stella Mayweather, #3)
  • Magic Rising (Stella Mayweather, #4)
  • Arcane Magic (Stella Mayweather, #5)
  • Endless Magic (Stella Mayweather #6)

“starting to close down for the night and I was ready to walk home right after I dragged a comb through my hair. It needed a wash thanks to a day spent filing dusty” 0 likes