From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming

From the Hood to the Hill: A Story of Overcoming

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From the Hood to the Hill is Chaplain Black's story of overcoming unpromising beginnings in the ghettos of Baltimore. His travels through uncharted waters exemplify God's power for change. Read his story and discover how you, too, can move toward unprecedented satisfaction through a living faith in God.

"With Barry Black, you don't just hear a sermon, you see the sermon. Th...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2006)

Karen
I just got this from the library so when I finish The Friday Night Knitting Club, this is next!

Mary
This is not so much an autobiography as it is sermonettes on the subject Lessons I Have Learned. It's good, though, because of the content. Rev. Barry Black has led a very intentional, Bible-based, God-centered life. He shares what he learned as a kid in a tough neighborhood of Baltimore, through his education in ministry at small colleges, mission work in Peru, to his career in the Navy (2 star Admiral) and on to his current job as Chaplain to the US Senate. There isn't much about the things t...more
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
The three boys—likely candidates for incarceration or early death. The five girls—likely candidates for unwed pregnancies and welfare. And with a sigh, she closes the folder and puts it away. This is what the social worker, Miss Jenkins, wrote on the “Predictor” sheet.

What prompted me to buy the book were its title and its price, $1.00. Since I purchase many of my non-fiction books from thrift shops or second hand books stores, I don’t always read the dust jacket but, had I read the dust jacket...more
David
I don't read that many biographies, and even fewer autobiographies.

I heard about this book when Chaplain Barry Black was interviewed on the radio. I went out and purchased the book the same day. It is a very good read. It explains how Chaplain Black went from the streets of Baltimore, to become a Two-Star Admiral in the Navy Chaplain Corps.

Along the way he explained how his faith has supported him through his career, and how he helped other people.
Judy Cox
Totally uninspiring. The only thing remarkable about this book is the relationship the author feels he has with God. He makes no decision without praying about it and feels that God is leading him in every little detail and aspect of his life - down to whether or not he should shave his head!
Divamommy
I did not finish this book; therefore, no rating will be issued. I found it more academic than autobiographical.
John
Oct 24, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially those with ministerial desires (all believers!)
What an amazing testimony! This book is also packed with scripture based helps, suggestions, and tips for not just getting through life, but for excelling in whatever plan God has set out for you. Just wish I had the memory of Chaplain Black to remember it all!
Mmeersma
Great book. Really makes you think
Stanley Turner
Several reviewers thought Black was holding something back, and I tend to agree with them. I kept wanting more information on his life in some areas and it was lacking. Not the best autobiography I have read, but by far not the worst either...
Lowell AfdahlRice
I think I liked this better than Cornel West's memoir in that it's more interesting and readable; although, it gets a little preachy at times. But after all, the guy is a minister.
Tony
Black is a very good speaker but not such a good writer. i felt he was holding back a little to much.
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Jaime Mertz
Jaime Mertz marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Aiden
Aiden marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Sean
Sean is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2014
James Johnson
James Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Jillian Marie
Jillian Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Blessing of Adversity: Finding Your God-given Purpose in Life's Troubles Sonho impossível