Start by marking “Trout Bum” as Want to Read:
Trout Bum

John Gierach

Trout Bum

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  458 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"Fly fishing...with grace and dignity you can move into a world that doesn't mind your being there...and Trout Bum is the fly fisher's bible.""One of the strangest, sanest and most astute books on fly fishing that has ever appeared in the English-speaking world."
Published April 1st 2006 by Westwinds Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Trout Bum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trout Bum

Steve
Gierach lives the life I would have if I hadn't listened to people who thought they knew better. Wonderful essays on trout fishing and related subjects.
Tankred
Als Anthologie von Erzählungen und Artikeln die Gierach bis in die Mitte der 1980 in Flyfishing Magazin veröffentlichte ist ‘Trout Bum’ eine Verneigung vor dem gegenkulturellem Bewußtsein der 1960er Jahre – ‘turn on tune in drop out’.

Gierach, liebt, isst, trinkt und atmet Fliegenfischen. Diese Haltung bestimmt seinen Zugang zum Schreiben und bereits früh entschloß er sich, sein Leben fischend und schreibend verbringen zu wollen.

Hierin liegt auch der grosse Unterschied zwischen Gierach und andere
Ray De
Aug 13, 2014 Ray De rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ray by: raydadventure@ymail.com
Being a trout bum wannabe I really enjoyed this book. His explanation when a friend asks how he can drive such a beat up car and dress in rags yet own expensive gear is priceless. The book reads like a conversation wit a good friend and one you would enjoy knowing. Also the book contains a surprising ghost story and one that will raise the hair on your arms. I look forward to his other works.

Jim
At least one of the essays is outstanding; others, not so much. Gierach shows that he understands the confusion felt by fly fishermen when they are asked to do something so completely at odds with the basic concept of fly fishing, namely, to fish with a "nymph" on the bottom of the stream. This is a good thing, since Gierach claims to be a fly fisherman who fishes for trout; I doubt that he is truly a "trout bum". The quality of the writing varies somewhat throughout this book, but I liked it.
Jason
John’s style of writing is like no other. He engages the reader with quotes like “ You know that feeling you get when you get to a spot and you can see the big cut throats gliding back and forth in the water.” This makes the reader think and compare experiences. All of John’s books do this but you never get tired of it because he does it in a different way every time. This is good especially for a 13 year old outdoorsman with ADHD. His books are the only ones that I can read and enjoy.
Walk
A wonderful collection of well observed essays riffing on the subject of fly-fishing and the world he occupies.

The friendship leaps from the pages by small detail.

You do not have to be a fisherman to enjoy this collection.

This is a book I have read more than twice, which is a rarity given an infinite reading list and a finite time to make a dent in it.
Ryan Chin
Years ago I dragged this book up to a high country lake and read it in between catching fatties. Mr. Gierach would have been proud. It was the first book I read of his and I've read every one of his books since. When I wrote my book, I couldn't pass up quoting him.
"It's yet another success. We said we were going fishing and that's what we did."
Stephanie
This book is horrible I got to Chapter two and thought about ripping my hair out....If the guy likes fishing so much then he should just fish...I'm no stranger to fishing..but I would rather fish than write about it
Richard
From the January 2012 issue of Backpacker magazine: Required Reading, Top picks from our Facebook fans:
Discover intelligent reflections on a fly-fisherman's illogical passion.
Nick
Really enjoyed this, an excellent and really funny insight into the complex man/fish relationship. No one can match Gierach for capturing the joys and absurdity of standing in cold water dangling a line..
Nick Trapani
Like most Gierach books entertaining, self indulgent fishing tidbits than make good reading in the crap house.If you have read one you have read them all.
Robert
Fine writing that can be appreciated on a number of levels. Gierach is a fly fisherman, but also a writer. He's a true craftsman. A wonderful book.
Eric
This book is funny and interesting. Especially if you are a budding fly fisherman like I like to think of myself as.
Joe
A lot of fun. Gierach has a way of taking you on trip with him. The reader feels like a collaborator.
Julianne Kurpiewski
Absolutely fantastic book. I think of this book almost everytime I go fishing. Gierach is amazing.
Geoff
What it's like to live as a trout bum, i.e. fish all day and write all night
Adrian
Booooring. Could not muster the drive to finish it.
Victor Kernus
It was so nice to revisit this classic. Well written.
Rob Blaine
My favorite -- fourth (or fifth?) reading?
Brandon Simmons
The seminal bookend of my generation.
Tom
Fun essays about the sport.
Darrin Niday
another good read from John,
Mark
Still the best in the series
Rafael Nicolas
Rafael Nicolas marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
  • The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing
  • The Earth Is Enough: Growing Up in a World of Flyfishing, Trout & Old Men
  • The Compleat Angler, or the Contemplative Man's Recreation
  • The Only Kayak: A Journey into the Heart of Alaska
  • An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World
  • The River Why
  • The Sea Runners
  • I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Fishing, and Photography
  • The Riverkeepers: Two Activists Fight to Reclaim Our Environment as a Basic Human Right
  • Lewis and Clark Through Indian Eyes: Nine Indian Writers on the Legacy of the Expedition
  • Hemingway on Fishing
  • Where Rivers Change Direction
  • A River Runs Through It and Other Stories
  • The Founding Fish
  • The Book of Yaak
  • One Life at a Time, Please
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • Claiming Ground
Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing Standing in a River Waving a Stick Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury Fool's Paradise Another Lousy Day in Paradise

“A couple of hundred dollars for a fishing pole!?¨ You'll hear that all the time if you don't keep your mouth shut in certain company. You can talk about the aesthetics and even mention a cane rod will appreciate in value while a new graphite rod will depreciate, but the best thing to do is turn around and say, ¨$9,000.00 for a car? I only paid $500.00 for mine.” 5 likes