Start by marking “Solomon Crocodile” as Want to Read:
Solomon Crocodile

Solomon Crocodile (Solomon)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  355 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
In his swampy home, Solomon is looking for fun but nobody wants to play. The dragonflies tell him to buzz off, the storks get in a flap, and the hippo is downright huffy. But then somebody else starts making a ruckus . . . and for once it is NOT Solomon. Could it be the perfect pal for a lonely croc? Matching vibrant art with rollicking words, Scottish artist Catherine Ray ...more
Published December 20th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Solomon Crocodile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solomon Crocodile

Elisabeth
Jan 05, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
She is one of my new favorite illustrators and the story would be great to use for vocabulary or to demonstrate synonyms. We all know kids with a lot of energy who just needs something to do and someone to do it with. I'm glad Solomon found a friend in the end - I just wish that it wasn't a fellow stinker. Maybe he would never care - but there is a reason that no one wanted to play with "poor" Solomon. :)
Shelli
Feb 22, 2012 Shelli rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The moral of the story is..... Annoying your fellow creatures is wrong and will not lead to party invitations or even a welcoming smile. BUT if you annoy people with someone else, like say in a small gang, then at least you can laugh while tormenting others with your fellow friend, a.k.a. accomplice.
Leah
Beautiful illustrations and a simple story featuring African animals and a bit of a surprise at the ending make this one great storytime fodder. One to try!
Danica Midlil
Throughout the story I kept waiting for Solomon to be redeemed in the eyes of his neighboring animals, but that's more sophisticated than this book gets. This is the story of the pesky little brother who just wants to play. And by "play" I mean annoy everyone else around him. Not quite what I've come to expect from Catherine Rayner, but still a pretty good book. The picutres are lively and energetic with splatters from Solomon's mischief.
Megan Sanchez
Apr 22, 2012 Megan Sanchez rated it liked it
This is probably a two star story, but the illustrations are really beautiful and I loved how many expressions she was able to give a crocodile. However, the story is just not up to par. Basically, an annoying crocodile has chased off everyone in the jungle with his behavior. No one wants to hang out with him. So he finds another annoying crocodile and they run off to annoy the jungle creatures together. Not sure what kind of message this is trying to send exactly.
Marijke Plante
Feb 09, 2016 Marijke Plante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een heerlijk boek om voor te lezen. Elke keer als de krokodil ten tonele verschijnt, mag je heel hard KRRR… OKODIL! roepen. En lekker die RRR laten rollen natuurlijk, zet hem op!

De krokodil in KRRR… OKODIL! is een heel stout krokodilletje dat het leuk vindt om andere dieren te plagen. Of dat opvoedkundig verantwoord is, weet ik niet. Maar leuk is het absoluut! Zeker als je ook nog als nijlpaard tegen de krokodil mag brullen dat hij vervelend is en weg moet gaan. Mijn jongste is vooral gek op de
Allie Sumner
Jun 09, 2016 Allie Sumner rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet story about finding a like-minded friend. In a lot of ways this story reminded me of my son. As I was reading it to him for the first time, I couldn't help but wonder if my son sympathized with Solomon. After having the book for several days I can safely say he does.

My son is a very energetic almost three year old and, like Solomon, is always getting into trouble. Not trouble per say, more like he is looking to have fun and make friends.

You wouldn't think that would be such a b
Mehsi
Even though I read this in Dutch, I will write the review in English. :)

I saw on the website of my library that this book is the Picture Book of 2014 and will be used for a lot of activities for little kids. So I just had to have it and immediately reserved it at my library.

Now that I have read it, I have to say, it was a wonderful book, but the ending was a bit... well anti-climatic and lame. I expected a bit more. Like a battle or them falling in love or something else, but not that. Maybe tha
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Dec 30, 2012 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picturebook
I picked this one up based on the illustrations- some of the spreads are absolutely gorgeous and the little touches of gold on the cover are quite attractive. The speckled enthusiasm of the several-colored dots over the richly dark and unpredictable outlines against the watercolor washed backgrounds is just great. However, some of the spreads have a better balance and sense of emotion/amusement/whimsy than others, something that is perhaps necessary to the pacing of this relatively very simple s ...more
Jenni
Sep 06, 2014 Jenni rated it liked it
I was drawn to this book by the sticker attached to the front cover announcing it was by the winner of the Kate Greenaway Medal. Within a couple of pages of the book I understood why the creator had won it for her earlier book Harris Finds his Feet – her style is very attractive and adds lots to the story. I liked the illustrations of Solomon the crocodile in particular, his expressions were superb.

The story itself left me a little underwhelmed. It all starts really well with Solomon trying to w
Big Book Little Book
Alison: www.bigbooklittlebook.com

Solomon wants to play, but instead he ends up annoying the other animals. Solomon is sad. But then he starts to hear the other animals shouting, and this time it isn’t at him. Has Solomon found the perfect friend? And what will the other animals think of that?

This is a truly lovely picture book; the pictures are very simple but tell the story so well. The story is also very simple, told in very short sentences. This makes it perfect for very young children, yet I
Bambini Travel
Nov 06, 2014 Bambini Travel rated it really liked it
"Uh-oh, here's come trouble" begins this tale of a silly, nuisance of a crocodile. Everyone is enjoying a relaxing morning until Solomon starts pestering the other animals. Rejected, Solomon is sulking when he hears someone else causing trouble. Who could it be? Rayner's illustrations make her books something special. Their layers, colors, and life come right off the pages. Fun read aloud book for preschoolers.
Kelsey
All the other animals tell Solomon to go away because he causes trouble. Another crocodile arrives and the two run off to cause trouble together. The illustrations are very colorful. The book could be used to teach vocabulary about different kinds of animals or synonyms for nuisance or trouble maker. The book doesn't have much of a resolution and left me hanging and waiting for a more conclusive ending.
Toni Tawes
Mar 05, 2015 Toni Tawes rated it liked it
"Solomon Crocodile" is very cleverly illustrated. The book is a picture book and intended for the ages 2-7. The book is very simple and is a story about a crocodile that is a pest to all the other animals around him. The problem is he doesn't care. In the end one of his friends show up and now it is "Double Trouble" for all the animals and insects. The book was good but I have read better!
The Brothers
Mar 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Solomon Crocodile's favorite past time is to make a nuisance of himself pestering the other animals of the river. After being soundly put in his place by a large hippo, he trundles off to feel sorry for himself. In his self-pity, he notices the animals are being pestered again, this time by another crocodile. It seems he has met his perfect match!

Illustrations are okay.
Malachi Musa
Jul 14, 2015 Malachi Musa rated it liked it
I liked this book because I like crocodiles.
(2yrs 4mths)

This is a very simple book with a very simple story line. It would have been nice if Solomon could somehow be redeemed rather than just always being the nusiance right to the end. The illistrations are lovely though and make the story come to life.
Sasha
Jul 30, 2015 Sasha rated it really liked it
A library patron told me how cute this book is. The artist does her own story and art. We read it up at the front desk and it is very cute. Solomon is a little trouble maker.
Alice Gold
Oct 29, 2014 Alice Gold rated it really liked it
cute quick story. fun for talking about synonyms, personalities, friends, pond-life. love the illustrations .
Susan  Person
Would be fun for a crocodile storytime - or even troublemakers.
Mips
Aug 28, 2014 Mips rated it really liked it
Shelves: prentenboeken, 2014
Heerlijke illustraties van een lekker gemene krok!
April Thompson
Jul 05, 2014 April Thompson rated it liked it
The troublemaker is always the odd man out
Garren
Aug 13, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
Laughed at the end. More mayhem!
Traci
Beautiful illustrations.
MB (What she read)
Jun 06, 2014 MB (What she read) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
2 yr old niece's favorite.
Ian
Jun 05, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
Vapid text, STUNNING art.
Apr 22, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Gorgeous illustrations!
Lauren
Mar 04, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok
I very much like the illustrations in this book, but I am not sure about the story. Solomon annoys every animal he tries to play with, because he is too loud and too rough. Finally, he finds a loud, rough friend just like him and they go annoy the other animals together. Every book doesn't need to have a worthy lesson to it--some are just for fun. I can't see how this book fits in to the group of books you'd want to read aloud to a preschooler. However, I will look for other books illustrated by ...more
Miss Sarah
Mar 26, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: alligator
soloman the crocodile is spending his day disturbing all the other animals in the jungle who just want him to go away. Will he listen? Cute ending.
Mary
This is a great book about friendship! Solomon Crocodile loves to get everybody all riled up, but not everybody likes that he does that. They all tell him to go away because he is bothering them. Finally, Solomon curls up all by himself because nobody wants to play. Suddenly, he hears something else causing a ruckus, and he knows he’s found a new friend! Great for read aloud for ECE.
  • Mr. Wolf's Pancakes
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Melvin and the Boy
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • My Rhinoceros
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Lamb Who Came for Dinner
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • Worms for Lunch?
Award winning author and illustrator Catherine Rayner studied Illustration at Edinburgh College of art. She fell in love with the city and still lives there with her husband, young son and a handful of creatures: Shannon the horse, Ena the grey cat and a goldfish called Richard.

She finds huge inspiration in her pets and often uses them as models, frequently asking Ena to pose so that she can study
More about Catherine Rayner...

Solomon (2 books)