Solomon Crocodile

Solomon Crocodile

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  54 reviews
In his swampy home, Solomon is looking for fun but nobody wants to play. The dragonflies tell him to buzz off, the storks get in a flap, and the hippo is downright huffy. But then somebody else starts making a ruckus . . . and for once it is NOT Solomon. Could it be the perfect pal for a lonely croc? Matching vibrant art with rollicking words, Scottish artist Catherine Ray...more
Published December 20th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Solomon Crocodile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solomon Crocodile

Elisabeth
She is one of my new favorite illustrators and the story would be great to use for vocabulary or to demonstrate synonyms. We all know kids with a lot of energy who just needs something to do and someone to do it with. I'm glad Solomon found a friend in the end - I just wish that it wasn't a fellow stinker. Maybe he would never care - but there is a reason that no one wanted to play with "poor" Solomon. :)
Shelli
The moral of the story is..... Annoying your fellow creatures is wrong and will not lead to party invitations or even a welcoming smile. BUT if you annoy people with someone else, like say in a small gang, then at least you can laugh while tormenting others with your fellow friend, a.k.a. accomplice.
Danica Midlil
Throughout the story I kept waiting for Solomon to be redeemed in the eyes of his neighboring animals, but that's more sophisticated than this book gets. This is the story of the pesky little brother who just wants to play. And by "play" I mean annoy everyone else around him. Not quite what I've come to expect from Catherine Rayner, but still a pretty good book. The picutres are lively and energetic with splatters from Solomon's mischief.
Megan Sanchez
This is probably a two star story, but the illustrations are really beautiful and I loved how many expressions she was able to give a crocodile. However, the story is just not up to par. Basically, an annoying crocodile has chased off everyone in the jungle with his behavior. No one wants to hang out with him. So he finds another annoying crocodile and they run off to annoy the jungle creatures together. Not sure what kind of message this is trying to send exactly.
Mehsi
Even though I read this in Dutch, I will write the review in English. :)

I saw on the website of my library that this book is the Picture Book of 2014 and will be used for a lot of activities for little kids. So I just had to have it and immediately reserved it at my library.

Now that I have read it, I have to say, it was a wonderful book, but the ending was a bit... well anti-climatic and lame. I expected a bit more. Like a battle or them falling in love or something else, but not that. Maybe tha...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I picked this one up based on the illustrations- some of the spreads are absolutely gorgeous and the little touches of gold on the cover are quite attractive. The speckled enthusiasm of the several-colored dots over the richly dark and unpredictable outlines against the watercolor washed backgrounds is just great. However, some of the spreads have a better balance and sense of emotion/amusement/whimsy than others, something that is perhaps necessary to the pacing of this relatively very simple s...more
Jenni
I was drawn to this book by the sticker attached to the front cover announcing it was by the winner of the Kate Greenaway Medal. Within a couple of pages of the book I understood why the creator had won it for her earlier book Harris Finds his Feet – her style is very attractive and adds lots to the story. I liked the illustrations of Solomon the crocodile in particular, his expressions were superb.

The story itself left me a little underwhelmed. It all starts really well with Solomon trying to w...more
Big Book Little Book
Alison: www.bigbooklittlebook.com

Solomon wants to play, but instead he ends up annoying the other animals. Solomon is sad. But then he starts to hear the other animals shouting, and this time it isn’t at him. Has Solomon found the perfect friend? And what will the other animals think of that?

This is a truly lovely picture book; the pictures are very simple but tell the story so well. The story is also very simple, told in very short sentences. This makes it perfect for very young children, yet I...more
Kelsey
All the other animals tell Solomon to go away because he causes trouble. Another crocodile arrives and the two run off to cause trouble together. The illustrations are very colorful. The book could be used to teach vocabulary about different kinds of animals or synonyms for nuisance or trouble maker. The book doesn't have much of a resolution and left me hanging and waiting for a more conclusive ending.
Susan P
Jun 13, 2014 Susan P added it
Shelves: picture-books
Would be fun for a crocodile storytime - or even troublemakers.
Mips
Heerlijke illustraties van een lekker gemene krok!
April Thompson
The troublemaker is always the odd man out
Alison
Beautiful illustrations.
MB
2 yr old niece's favorite.
Ian
Vapid text, STUNNING art.
Gorgeous illustrations!
Lauren
I very much like the illustrations in this book, but I am not sure about the story. Solomon annoys every animal he tries to play with, because he is too loud and too rough. Finally, he finds a loud, rough friend just like him and they go annoy the other animals together. Every book doesn't need to have a worthy lesson to it--some are just for fun. I can't see how this book fits in to the group of books you'd want to read aloud to a preschooler. However, I will look for other books illustrated by...more
Mary
This is a great book about friendship! Solomon Crocodile loves to get everybody all riled up, but not everybody likes that he does that. They all tell him to go away because he is bothering them. Finally, Solomon curls up all by himself because nobody wants to play. Suddenly, he hears something else causing a ruckus, and he knows he’s found a new friend! Great for read aloud for ECE.
This book is NOT teaching anything worthwhile to a young preschooler. It has an annoying main character who can not make friends because he a mean to everyone. He meets another bully ay the end and the book ends with the words double trouble! NOT funny or cute. I did love the drawings that is why I gave the book one star. Don't waste your time reading this to your classroom!!
Ginna
Jul 22, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: frienship
I really like the illustrations, and the story is great to talk to your students about friendship and behaviors.
What is Salomon doing that other friends animals don't like? Can you make a connection with Salomon?
Lots of great questions could create an unforgettable classroom meeting or circle time when you detect a problem like this happening in your classroom.
Janet
Solomon only wants a friend to play with, but the other creatures of the river are not inclined to do so. They all think he is a pest and a nuisance, but finally Solomon's friend arrives--who shall it be.
The illustrations here are beautiful in pastel colors and this would be wonder to share in a storytime with preschoolers.
Claire
Not for reading aloud to a group. Nice pictures.
Jody
I received mixed responses from kids during storytime...I almost felt bad that I had to keep on saying negative words like pest, nuisance...kids pointed out how scared the hippo looked at the end of the story. Eh...nice illustrations though.
Denise Kettering
The illustrations in this book were wonderful, but I was not as fond of the story. Solomon basically causes everyone trouble and they all tell him to go away. Then he finds a friend just like him and they go off to cause trouble together.
Danie P.
Beautiful illustrations, easy enough for both toddler and preschool storytime. Solomon the crocodile likes to be mischevious but all the animals think he is so annoying. No one wants to play, until he runs into a like-minded friend.
This is a beautiful book with a shiny metalic cover, but the story is lacking a little. I felt like there should be one more page towards the end. My son loves it though becasue it has a crocodile and it's pretty.
Connie Klever
I love the illustrations in this book, but not sure about the ending--are we happy the croc finds a friend or fearful for hte other animals? Not yet sure how to use this one for storytime, but I liked it.
Beverly
Very cute story about a pesky crocodile. Goofy cartooney artwork reminiscent of Quentin Blake's style. The croc on the cover has shiny gold spots and the title is in shiny gold as well.
Nicole
While this does not have a message for kids it is good fun and the illustrations are gorgeous. I also love the language. Solomon "bugs the dragonflies" and "stalks the storks".
Sarah BT
This book would be great for storytime. A crocodile wants to play but none of the other animals want to be bothered. Until Solomon meets a new friend!!
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Tuck Me In!
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • Hugless Douglas
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • Delia's Dull Day
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • Lots of Dots
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
Award winning author and illustrator Catherine Rayner studied Illustration at Edinburgh College of art. She fell in love with the city and still lives there with her husband, young son and a handful of creatures: Shannon the horse, Ena the grey cat and a goldfish called Richard.

She finds huge inspiration in her pets and often uses them as models, frequently asking Ena to pose so that she can study...more
More about Catherine Rayner...
Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit The Bear Who Shared Augustus And His Smile Harris Finds His Feet Abigail