Start by marking “Educational Psychology: Modular Active Learning Edition” as Want to Read:
Educational Psychology: Modular Active Learning Edition

Educational Psychology: Modular Active Learning Edition

Derived from Anita Woolfolk's market-leading "Educational Psychology, Eleventh Edition," the most thorough, accessible, and authoritative text on the market, the Active Learning Edition breaks the material into manageable "modules." To provide customers with an alternative version to the longer chapters of the standard 11th Edition, that version's 15 chapters now appear as ...more
Unbound, 704 pages
Published December 27th 2010 by Pearson (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Educational Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Educational Psychology

Sara
I added this to my list of read books because I felt I needed some recognition of the pain and suffering I went through in reading this for a college course.
While I did learn a little, I didn't even know it was possible to fit so many words on one page. I read the first few chapters word for word, and by chapter 8, I gave up and just started using the study guide my professor gave.
If you must read this book for class, I hope that you are offered study hints like I was. If you are reading this
Blabberwart
Mar 09, 2011 Blabberwart rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
The information is great and I would even say that Woolfolk's writing is okay. However, the text itself is every student's worst nightmare. The chapters are quite long and the pages are filled with tiny text that is hard enough to read sometimes, just because of the subject matter, without the added intimidation from the layout! I did not get to look at the modular edition but I feel like that would be a huge benefit to anyone trying to work through this text. If you are serious about reading th ...more
Theo Karner
Used this as my textbook for a Human Development and Learning unit for primary school teaching. The edition I read was the Australian version. I found the book had many positive points but the structure and layout of the text made it very difficult to understand the context and therefore place a lot of the books content.

First the positive points, and there are many:
1. Each chapter starts with a 'Teachers Casebook/What would you do?' which is a fictional scenario designed to get you thinking and
Mel
Dec 06, 2012 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Libro de texto requerido en la clase
Recommended to Mel by: Futuros maestros
Libro de texto de la clase Psicología del Aprendizaje con el profesor Jorge H. Larrache.

Un buen libro sobre la psicología educativa. Explica las diferentes teorías del aprendizaje que actualmente se utilizan. Da ejemplos de situaciones que se puedan presentar en el salón de clase o que le puedan estar ocurriendo a los estudiantes y posibles soluciones de como manejar las mismas.

Adicional a esto, cada capítulo tiene una sección llamada "Aprobar PRAXIS" la cual está dedicada a proveerle las herra
LawinW
Sep 25, 2015 LawinW rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good points, some insight, some extremely biological jargon that did my head in with all its technical relevance and yet some degrees of irrelevance to my Diploma of Education experience. This book had a considerable lack of acknowledgement towards creative thinking and/or arts education examples which was disappointing (Arts major, hello!). This book drove me insane for the best part of 12 weeks of studies with its endless talk of everything from behavioural issues to Pavlov's Dog, to part ...more
Jana
Oct 02, 2011 Jana rated it really liked it
This is a very valuable textbook for those going into teaching. There is so much information in this book, which made it hard, but also will be a very good reference to go back to in the future. I liked the way the author wrote it, with lots of examples and personalized it at times, referring to herself and those she teaches.

My teacher told us to memorize everything in this textbook. Although she was kidding, I almost wish I could because there are so many concepts and ideas and helps that would
Anna
Feb 09, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers!
Recommended to Anna by: my professor
I read most of this book while sitting in my educational psychology class (pretending to listen to my boring professor). I found it to be both interesting and insightful since it balanced facts and theory with practical "how-to" solutions for dealing with particular kinds of adolescent behaviors. I also liked that the book focused more on concepts than actual science of how the brain works -- the scientific crap is what put me to sleep in my undergrad psych classes.
Wolfe Tone
Nov 18, 2013 Wolfe Tone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Boring and shallow, skimming over interesting points, not taking any stands and treating its readers as complete morons. This is one of those typical standard works for many social studies, because it contains most of the theories in a certain field of work. But I would sooner pick a few of those theories based on wikipedia for all I care, and study the original works, because this just doesn't cut it.
Tyler
May 30, 2009 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second and primary required text for my current online class. It's way too big! Thankfully I don't have to read it in its entirety. Insightful and fairly interesting so far, but I'd rather be spending my reading time on other books.

Finally finished w/ the class! (A+) The professor wasn't very good, but the material was pretty helpful. A lot of redundancy w/ other classes I've already taken though.
Bookish Dervish
Oct 19, 2015 Bookish Dervish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkable book! A must-read for all teachers out there especial EFL teachers... very thoughtful examples, Leads the reader from the abstract theory to insightful applications for teachers.
Well designed and organized from the first chapter the last..... What I liked the most is chapter 2 Vygotsky's sociocultural perspective and chapter 3 Kohlberg's stages of moral development.
Catharina Lenny
Nov 04, 2007 Catharina Lenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yang mo jadi guru...
Shelves: education
belum baca seluruhnya, karena bahasa inggris. tapi yang pasti ini buku tutop lah. biar kita dituntun jadi guru yang baik, istilahnya dia penuntunnya.. biar kita tetep di rel kita... hai guru guru. bacalah.. biar kita jadi guru yang MANUSIAWI. gimana kita bantu mahasiswa untuk bisa meraih tujuannya yang di awang2 dengan selangkah-selangkah. dan tentunya bisa menghasilkan sesuatu yang lebih baik.
Jien
Aug 24, 2011 Jien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a textbook, this was pretty good. The information was actually relevant and at the end of each chapter was a summary of the key points of the chapter, which made it easy to find the information again. Some of it was a bit too vague but for the most part it's a useful book on educational psychology.
Aimee
May 16, 2016 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good for what it was supposed to be, just somewhat painful and tedious at times for me, as I don't want to teach. But I did find a few things that will be relevant in the field I am pursuing, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. I enjoyed reading about diversity in the classroom and learning differences, and the importance of creativity.
Beth Halverson
May 02, 2016 Beth Halverson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Woolfolk tries to make the information interesting, but there's just so much information packed into a short space. I found it difficult to come away with the big information after reading each chapter and don't know how I would have fared without a professor walking me through it. That said, it does contain a lot of important information that gave me a better understanding of the subject.
Jennah
I was required to get this book for my "Education Psychology" class. I used it for quizzes, tests, exams, discussion posts, application assignments and observations. I rated this 5 stars just because it a great book for this class, but I would never use it for the future.
A.B.
Nov 15, 2009 A.B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All teachers
Shelves: 2009
This was a very well organized and practical book. It was very useful for studying for the Praxis as well as feeling more prepared for teaching in general. It was easy to read and did not feel like a chore, I can see myself turning back to this book again and again.
Annie
Jun 08, 2014 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers the material in a clear but extremely basic manner.
Heather
May 23, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This textbook was easier to follow than most that I have used.
Jo
Maybe the book I read? There are quite a few texts called Educational Psychology!
Erin
Nov 30, 2010 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good...for a textbook.
Julie S.
Educational Psychology class fall of my freshman year.
Lisa
Aug 26, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was organized well and had a lot of helpful tables and guides for use in teaching.
Kristel
Oct 13, 2016 Kristel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book gives me a headache! There is so much info squeezed into each page! The content and research are good but poor organized and communicated.
Luisa
Luisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Delascabezas
Delascabezas rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2008
John
John rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2017
Deanna Sellars
Deanna Sellars rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
  • Learning Theories: An Educational Perspective
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • Compendio Historia y Filosofía de la Educación
  • How Languages are Learned
  • La fe cristiana en búsqueda de nuevos entendimientos: Una introducción al estudio del cristianismo
  • Historia General De Puerto Rico (Huracan Academia Series)
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
  • A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature