Start by marking “Late-Talking Children” as Want to Read:
Late-Talking Children

Late-Talking Children

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  21 reviews
One of AmericaOCOs leading intellectuals offers a moving and deeply personal account of his experiences with his own son, a late-talking child, and offers hope, advice, and fellowship to parents who are faced with a similar situation."
Published August 1st 2008 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Late-Talking Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late-Talking Children

Inder
This is not necessarily a bad book, but it was not what I was looking for. This is a book about very high IQ children who talk late but exhibit other signs of high intelligence. I would suspect that some of these children are at the very high functioning end of the ASD spectrum, myself, but the author does not address that (or disagrees). In any event, this is not a book describing general causes for speech delays, which is what I was looking for. One thing that gives me pause is that I wonder i ...more
Crystal
This book is exactly what it claims to be. It is a series of stories about bright children who are late talkers. It doesn't have any answers. What it does give a parent with a bright but late talking child is the knowledge that they are not alone. My son didn't start talking until after his 3rd birthday but he is cognitively advanced for his age. It is nice to know that there are other children like him. This book also made me very grateful that we have avoided the need for a diagnosis or a labe ...more
Dree
Fabulous book--acknowledging what so many doctors refuse to admit. Some kids talk late. They are not disabled, they do not need tons of therapies (which should go to the kids that really need them!), and they tend to have a lot of things in common. My late-talker is now 11. Yes, he's good at math. (And loves drawing, movies, hanging out with friends, throwing balls with dad, baking brownies, tae kwon do, and taking things apart to figure out how they work.)
Kristen
As the mother to a late talking boy, I searched for reasons and understanding for why my son didn't talk. There are a number of books, this one is mostly emperical. A good book for those looking for things that make our children different, but not a book for a child with true speech apraxia or serious issues. The only cavet I have with this book is that it does sort of give a "wait and see" attitute. Which is fine if your child is 2. It is not ok if your child is still not speaking at 3.
Brian Wade
A better title would be, 'Extremely Intelligent Late-Talking Children Who Otherwise Grow Up To Become Talented Engineers, Mathmeticians, Academics, Musicians or World Ranking Chess Champions.'

See Inder's review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Proud Book Nerd
This is a very good book. Very good. My 3.5-year-old son is currently undergoing tests and speech therapy for a perceived speech delay. He is most certainly an intelligent boy: can read short words, knows upper- and lowercase letters, recognizes numbers, has an amazing memory, etc. He also is social - plays with his sisters and cousins and familiar friends - while also reserved and shy. So, when the people at the school district mentioned a possible label of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), or PD ...more
Kirsten
This book was interesting to me because reading it was like reading about other children that are EXACTLY like my daughter. None of the kids in my circle of people has a child that is like Gwen. She is obviously intellegent and can read all the numbers and letters both upper and lower case, read script, put together 24 piece puzzles, she was even sounding out words the other day. And she isn't even three years old yet. She is very social, and doesn't display many of the hallmarks of autism, but ...more
Flora
Strictly anecdotal, and not really an answer-questions kind of book. Also rather bare-bones. What it does basically say is if your kid seems bright enough he'll probably turn out all right.

They'd all get dxes today. But at least half would probably still turn out all right. (Some of those cases sounded like there would still be Problems)
Katie
Oct 22, 2008 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Melissa T
This book was recommended to me when I had a 3-year old who was not yet speaking. When you're feeling (as the parent) embarassed, or you think that your child is not "normal", you are frantically looking for the quick fix to enable your child to fit in.

What was great about this book for me is the realization that there are so many children who are outside the normal range of the bell curve in the early years, and, as the children grow, most get there...just at a different pace.

At a time when I n
Laurie
A little dated but encouraging nonetheless.
Rebekah
I didn't even know this guy existed, but thanks to my parents who happenend upon this book. Apparently this is a well-known academist. Even though he is not in this particular field, his son was a late talker and he has done some rudimentary research in the are and written two books on the subject. He also knows several people who are experts in this field and one at the U of Vanderbilt has started a support group and website. Very interesting stuff!
Elizabeth
I find the concept facinitaing, particularly because I have a late talking boy, however I was hoping for !ore info on the study and less personal narratives.
Jayne
The author describes the connection between parents with a mathmatical/scientific or musical leanings to children with speech delays. The connections are amazing...... Years later after reading this book I found that what he was describing was aspergers syndrome.
Shawna
I found the stories of the children fascinating. The only thing that was lacking was what set these late talking children apart from children with Autism especially since many of the children were said to be misdiagnosed with Autism.
Kirsti Call
I actually read "The Einstein Syndreom; bright children who talk late" by THomas Sowell, but it's not available on goodreads. . .this was a fascinating read with lots of case studies and other interesting brain research cited.
Carrie
While some of the brain research is dated, since this was published in 1997, it is a wonderful book on this topic, focusing on individual children and their diverse stories and outcomes.
Valerie
This was interesting in a lot of ways since my son is a late talker. Some things didn't apply but in general it's nice to know he's not the only child with speech delays.
Shaylee
This provided excellent insight into the reasons why our son did not speak until the age of 2 1/2.
Dev
A discussion of young children who talk late.
Carol Fiske
sounds good look forward to teading
Anna
Pretty much what I had hoped. Looking for some consolation in our current situation, it's just nice to know others in the same boat. Also, took a lot of stress off knowing about others. For example, the late potty training going hand in hand with the late talking was a relief. It deals with a very specific set of parameters. Other books recommended to me, like The Late Talker, just scared me more.
Lissel Devetori
Lissel Devetori marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Ajin
Ajin marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2056
Thomas Sowell is an American economist, social commentator, and author of dozens of books. He often writes from an economically laissez-faire perspective. He is currently a senior fellow of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. In 1990, he won the Francis Boyer Award, presented by the American Enterprise Institute. In 2002 he was awarded the National Humanities Medal for prolific scholars ...more
More about Thomas Sowell...
Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy Economic Facts and Fallacies The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy Black Rednecks & White Liberals Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One