Start by marking “In the Casa Azul: A Novel of Revolution and Betrayal” as Want to Read:
In the Casa Azul: A Novel of Revolution and Betrayal

In the Casa Azul: A Novel of Revolution and Betrayal

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Pursued from country to country by Stalin's GPU agents, Leon Trotsky finds refuge in Mexico City in 1937. There he encounters the fire and splendor of the artist Frida Kahlo who, with her husband Diego Rivera, welcomes Trotsky and his wife Natalia into their home, the Casa Azul.

Meaghan Delahunt's breathtaking first novel explores those extraordinary years in Mexico, but a
Published April 6th 2002 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In the Casa Azul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Casa Azul

Tripmastermonkey
The book's beginning is really amazing. There are some passages on Frida's art that i thought were really insightful, some interesting commentary on certain marxists' prudishness around weird things like surrealism, and some powerful passages on the Spanish Civil War.

The book was evidently expanded from a short story, and the middle of the book was too drawn out for me. I could have done without all of the chapters on Stalin (the passages on his second wife are okay). & There are other vigne
Shelley Cater
Meaghan Delahunt's debut novel is an historical fiction that chronicles Trotsky's exile in Mexico, hosted by Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera at the casa azul. Written from the perspectives of witnesses to the events; from Trotsky's secretary, his wife Natalia, his assassin, Frida's "Judas-maker", and even the childhood minds of Stalin and Trotsky, this work is lyrical without being overly sentimental. Delahunt's evocation of the imagery of Mexico and the October Revolution in Russia is rich and col ...more
Ros
May be called In the Blue House
Arnoldo Garcia
In the Casa Azul provided an intimate access, a close encounter with the life now almost mythic, legend, of Frida Kahlo, a surprise. Frida Kahlo in this novel comes across as a human, a woman painter, frail, tough, vulnerable, protagonist of her own creation and creativity.

This is one of those books that almost demands non-stop reading from beginning to end and I wish it would go on even when the end the novel's and Frida's are inevitable, real, and you're able to realize how young she was and h
Judy King
Fascinating view of a turbulent time as the author expertly slides us gracefully from one narrator to another as each tells us their view of the times and situation--giving important bits of insider information.

It was interesting to stroll through the uncomfortable childhoods and young adulthoods of Stalin, Lenin and Trotsky--and seeing how they manifested these experiences into their famous lives and experiences.

I'm glad I read it.
Fascinating to read something set in the communist revolution (worldwide), definitely something left out of my American public school education. But the storyline drags to a hault about a third of the way in, and the characters are all over the place, not very connected, and often dull. I tried to perservere, for my education, but when the fictionalized version gets as slow as a textbook, that's when I throw in the towel.
Marta
Me cogí este libro porque me encanta la vida de Frida Kahlo y el argumento de esta novela se centra en la etapa en la que Frida tuvo a Trotski y a su esposa en su casa, ya que estos estaban exiliados y perseguidos. Hay pasajes que son muy bonitos, próximos a la poesía. El punto negativo es que hay muchas voces narrativas y los conocimientos históricos de esa época se dan por supuestos.
Peter
This novel, about the assasination of Leon Trotsky by an agent of Stalin, is a poetic, lyrical, hard-headed Historical account of one of the great betrayals of the 20th Century. Delahunt weaves a tale of intense interest and high tension and drama even though the story itself is well known.
Peter Campbell
This was a quite astounding and beautiful first book with a unique and interesting construction, giving a lot of well-researched background to the Russian revolution. I could not help but marvel at the deep insights to the human condition that this young author was able to produce.
Rebecca
I liked this book, but I did not like that it switched narrators every few pages. It was rather hard to follow.
Marvin
Something about Trotsky & Frida Kahlo in Mexico in 1940, but I couldn't make much sense of it by page 50, so I gave up.
Jennifer Kent
Great book about the mexican revolution, the russian revolution, Leon Trotsky, Frieda Kahlo, and Stalin
Laurie
Fascinating look into the life of Frieda Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Trotsky.
A. H.
Beautiful rendition of little known pieces of important history.
Fer Martínez
Un grandioso retrato de Trotski en la Casa Azul de la Frida Kahlo.
Eddie
Trotsky in exile in Mexico - Frida, Diego Ramon Mercader
Jeanette
Jan 07, 2008 Jeanette marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
another one i picked up at the bookstore in oaxaca
Jodi
A novel about the life of Frida Kahlo...
Sarah is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Vee
Vee marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Susan Liston
Susan Liston marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Bo Olsen
Bo Olsen is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Lori
Lori is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2015
Junaid Taj
Junaid Taj marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Smsaloom
Smsaloom marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Powder Necklace: A Novel
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • Black in Latin America
  • Ερωτόκριτος
  • The Industry of Souls
  • Για την πατρίδα
  • The Big Questions: How Philosophy Can Change Your Life
  • Harlem: The Four Hundred Year History from Dutch Village to Capital of Black America
  • Η μωβ ομπρέλα
  • Τα στενά παπούτσια
MEAGHAN DELAHUNT is the author of The Red Book and In the Blue House, which was longlisted for the 2002 Orange Prize, won the Saltire First Book Prize, a Scottish Arts Council Book of the Year prize and a Commonwealth Prize for Best First Book. She is an award-winning short-story writer and her stories have been widely anthologized and broadcast on BBC Radio 4. She lectures in creative writing at ...more
More about Meaghan Delahunt...
The Red Book To the Island A Fictional Guide To Scotland