Start by marking “Arnie the Doughnut” as Want to Read:
Arnie the Doughnut

Arnie the Doughnut

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  584 ratings  ·  116 reviews
A deliciously imaginative story about friendship-from the author / illustrator of The Scrambled States of America.

Arnie was fascinated as he watched the customers stream into the bakery. One by one, doughnuts were chosen, placed in paper bags, and whisked away with their new owners. Some went by the dozen in giant boxes.
"Good-bye!" Arnie yelled to each doughnut. "Have a go
Published April 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Arnie the Doughnut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arnie the Doughnut

Lisa Vegan
Dec 11, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a very wacky sense of humor
Recommended to Lisa by: CLM
Laurie Keller is a hoot. I enjoyed this even more than her Scrambled States books. This is another one best for independent readers. It’s a very busy book with all sorts of asides and jokes and other extra material on every page. I actually laughed while reading this; this unusual story is wickedly funny. It’s the only picture book I can remember having to make a point to avoid spoilers.
Meredith
My toddler kept talking about Arnie the Doughnut and Mr. Bing, whose name I misheard Mr. Bean. I dismissed this as imagination on her part, but, low and behold, it turned out to be a story from an actual library book. Then we checked out the animated version on DVD, which we've watched 50,000 times.

The text has comic book style formatting that makes it hard to read aloud, and the illustrations have a kind of primative charm. The storyline is rather existential. All the other doughnuts at the bak
Jeanette
The current favorite of my 5 year old son. This book is, I'll admit, a little weird but it totally works. Cute, extremely funny and creative. With lots of asides, and text sprinkled all over the pages this is pretty fun to read. I tend to read the main body of the text and my son reads all the comments etc scattered along the pages but he also often just read it all on his own.
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary Arnie is being taken from the doughnut shop to live (at least he thinks that) with Mr. Bing
Annotation
Arnie has no idea that doughnuts are for eating when he find out he tries to convince Mr. Bing that there might be other ways to be of service. This is a great read for kids who love to look at detailed illustrations and who like funny situations.
Age appropriateness 4 - 7
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - The story is funny and keeps the reader interested wit
Chelsie
This is a great book for kids and adults. I laugh more at this book than my daughter....mind you she is 3 months old. This is a pure literary delight.
Brittany Dalziel
Personal Reaction: I loved this book! The format of the book was really interesting and there is so much going on on every page of the book. The illustrations are fun and the extra phrases and words on each page that aren't part of the actual story make it a fun and entertaining book to read. I love how creative and imaginative it is! This is definitely a book that I want to remember and want to have in my classroom in the future.

Purpose:
-Read aloud to ages K - 2nd grade
-Enjoyment/enrichment
-C
Mylinh
Super cute book about a doughnut that doesn't realize he's made for eating. A fun book for children to read by themselves or with a parent so that they can read each silly additional comment Keller adds to the page outside of the text of the story.

Publisher’s Weekly Best Children’s Book

from School Library Journal:
Kindergarten-Grade 3-Similar in style and format to Keller's Open Wide (Holt, 2000), this fun-filled adventure takes readers to a bakery. A chocolate-covered doughnut serves as guide, d
Sandy
Arnie is just what he wanted to be…..a chocolate sprinkled doughnut. Wouldn’t it be nice if we all were like Arnie and were proud of who we are? Arnie takes us through his birth: how he was cut into a ring, deep fried, cooled, iced, sprinkled and named with some fun photos and comments. Arnie tries to talk it up with some of the other donuts in bakery as we meet some of the other delicious treats waiting to be sold at the bakery. As the bakery opens, Arnie anxiously waits to be bought, he wants ...more
Justin Matott
Jul 01, 2008 Justin Matott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone who likes a bit weird and a lot funny!
This book is one of my all time favorite picture books. I will admit when I first learned of the concept behind it I was skeptical of it. I then met the author and spent some time with her and found her to be a delightfully engaging woman and a great speaker with subject matter to capture both adult and a child's imagination and attention. The side bar humor ala Mad Magazine columns is one of my favorite aspects of this book. I have personally purchased numerous copies of this book as gifts and ...more
Christina Taylor
Arnie the Doughnut is a wondrous shaggy-dog story in which the title character comes to understand that “that’s what doughnuts are for—to eat” only after he’s been purchased. Discovering that his creator and his fellow doughnuts are not only aware of this atrocity but are also cheerful, willing participants, Arnie resigns himself to this ultimate fate. However, Arnie’s purchaser Mr. Bing is no longer comfortable with this prospect but does not want to be wasteful. In an ironic twist, man and dou ...more
Kayla Heenan
I thought this book was so cute. There was some humor involved and it was entertaining for sure. The book had a talking doughnut, so clearly there was a lot of personification used throughout the story. I would not read this story out loud to my students but I would for sure allow them to read it during their free time. The story had great pictures and I know the kids would get a kick out of it.
Ruhama
This is the story of Arnie's life--how he was created and what happened to him once he hit the bakery shelf. Arnie is happy and carefree, until Mr. Bing buys him and tries to eat him for breakfast! Arnie is crushed; he didn't realize that was his purpose in life. Mr. Bing feels bad, and the two decide to come up with different ways for Mr. Bing to keep Arnie without eating him. Eventually, they decide that Arnie will be Mr. Bing's doughnut-dog, and everyone lives happily ever after.

This book is
Nan
I like Laurie Keller's style with all the little call-outs and busy drawings. But the story fell flat with me. Might appeal to little ones, yet they wouldn't have the skills to read it alone. Older students who can read and absorb all the drawings might also feel the story is lacking. Since I'm getting the "Arnie" series I think I'll skip this picture book.
Matthew
This is the highly amusing story of a doughnut that doesn't know his own fate. The layout is much the same as a Magic School Bus. There are numerous asides on every page with a bevy of jokes that anyone could appreciate. I know this was written for children, but the humor is right for any audience that gives this a read. The book is funny.
Elaine
Proud to be a chocolate covered doughnut with bright-colored candy sprinkles, Arnie has had a pretty amazing morning of being created and meeting other doughnuts. When his bakery opens, Arnie is thrilled to be selected to go on an adventure with Mr. Bing – then horrified to discover he is about to be eaten! After realizing his doughnut talks and has feelings, Mr. Bing decides not to eat him, so the two toss around a number of humorously unfitting possibilities for what to do with Arnie instead, ...more
Diane
Poor Arnie ... he doesn't realize that his reason for being is to be eaten. When Mr. Bing takes him home, Arnie manages to talk Mr. Bing out of eating them. But the question then becomes, what can Arnie do? It turns out, he's the perfect pet.

Cute, very detailed illustrations should make this an attractive selection for students.
Alyssa
This book made me laugh out loud! It is so funny! I would use this book as a read aloud on a day that the kids need to stay inside for recess time. I think they would get a kick out of this humorous book and the graphics that only make the story more fun! I would read this to kindergarteners or first graders.
Liz Stoneking
My kids love doughnuts and they love Arnie. I enjoyed the art style and the fact that it has so much going on in the pictures. It gives you a chance to pick and choose what to read and what to skip so I can cater to my kids attention span.
Gianna Mosser
I thought this was a really inventive way to tell the story of a survival instinct that comes from asking questions and thinking outside the box. Atticus thought it was hilarious, but I thought it was more endearing than funny.
Mrs. Knott
Kids are going to love the humor in this book! I was not prepared to laugh out loud, but I did! Keller does a great job giving a doughnut, a voice! We meet Arnie, get close to Arnie, just in time to laugh, because unbeknownst to him, he's about to get eaten. What? Doughnuts get eaten?? My favorite line is, "Well, that explains why my friends never write or call - they've probably all been EATEN!" Hilarious book with a happy ending!
Heather
The kids really enjoyed this book. It was one of those books they wanted to leaf through after I was done, and examine over and over the little images.
Danno
Snagged this one at the library hoping it would be fun and turned out to be a bore for not only me but also my son. The illustrations were good but the writing was subpar and the story was more of a ramble with an ending that doesn't fit the narrative.
Teresa
A little too busy (art wise) for my tastes but it's a cute story and some kids like a busy layout with jokes in the spot art.
Jordana
not suitable for storytime (NSFS)
- for kids who like Scaredy Squirrel types of books with additional text to read throughout
Ceggy91
This book was read to me evernight in my younger-than-I-am-by-a-lot youth! I loved the silly little doughnut! READ IT!
Lynn
I don't think an audiobook is the best way to experience this story...will have to see the picture book sometime!
Sarah D'Arco
So much fun to read and notice all of the tiny details in the illustrations - another clever book from Laurie Keller!
Alaina Sloo
I love it when a book presents kids with an idea they've never, ever considered before. Arnie the Doughnut is full of these surprises. Poor Arnie. It never occurred to him he was made to be eaten. Imagine Arnie's surprise when he discovers that the man who took him home it about to take a bit out of him! And imagine children's surprise when they first discover Arnie didn't know he was supposed to be eaten! With cheerful, quirky illustrations, Arnie is a great book for reading aloud or just cuddl ...more
Gabriela Cano
I really liked this book because of the story behind it, and if the illustrations were not so confusing and everywhere children age 5 could read this but I would most likely recommend for ages 6-7. I would have loved to use this as a read-aloud for the moral of caring and seeing other peoples views.
Kim
This book is Hilarous! I particularly like Arnie's slow and painstaking realization that doughnuts aren't good for much of anything other than eating.
The story is great, although from a design perspective the fonts and graphics are all over the place. I'm not sure how well it would work as a read aloud with group because there are lots of tiny little details and side commentary, but it would probably work well as a one on one. I can also see this as a book that would last because as the child g
  • Spoon
  • Pssst!
  • SuperHero ABC
  • Big Chickens
  • Chowder
Laurie Keller grew up in Muskegon, Michigan. She always loved to draw, paint and write stories. She spent much of her time performing in a local dance tour company and dancing in and choreographing some civic theatre shows.
She graduated several years later with a BFA in Illustration. She also got a job as a greeting card illustrator at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri. She is the author and
More about Laurie Keller...
The Scrambled States of America Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners The Scrambled States of America Talent Show Bowling Alley Bandit Open Wide: Tooth School Inside