Arnie the Doughnut

Arnie the Doughnut

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  106 reviews
A deliciously imaginative story about friendship—from the author / illustrator of The Scrambled States of America.

Arnie was fascinated as he watched the customers stream into the bakery. One by one, doughnuts were chosen, placed in paper bags, and whisked away with their new owners. Some went by the dozen in giant boxes.
“Good-bye!” Arnie yelled to each doughnut. “Have a go...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Arnie the Doughnut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arnie the Doughnut

Lisa Vegan
Dec 11, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a very wacky sense of humor
Recommended to Lisa by: CLM
Laurie Keller is a hoot. I enjoyed this even more than her Scrambled States books. This is another one best for independent readers. It’s a very busy book with all sorts of asides and jokes and other extra material on every page. I actually laughed while reading this; this unusual story is wickedly funny. It’s the only picture book I can remember having to make a point to avoid spoilers.
Meredith
My toddler kept talking about Arnie the Doughnut and Mr. Bing, whose name I misheard Mr. Bean. I dismissed this as imagination on her part, but, low and behold, it turned out to be a story from an actual library book. Then we checked out the animated version on DVD, which we've watched 50,000 times.

The text has comic book style formatting that makes it hard to read aloud, and the illustrations have a kind of primative charm. The storyline is rather existential. All the other doughnuts at the bak...more
Jeanette
The current favorite of my 5 year old son. This book is, I'll admit, a little weird but it totally works. Cute, extremely funny and creative. With lots of asides, and text sprinkled all over the pages this is pretty fun to read. I tend to read the main body of the text and my son reads all the comments etc scattered along the pages but he also often just read it all on his own.
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary Arnie is being taken from the doughnut shop to live (at least he thinks that) with Mr. Bing
Annotation
Arnie has no idea that doughnuts are for eating when he find out he tries to convince Mr. Bing that there might be other ways to be of service. This is a great read for kids who love to look at detailed illustrations and who like funny situations.
Age appropriateness 4 - 7
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - The story is funny and keeps the reader interested wit...more
Chelsie
This is a great book for kids and adults. I laugh more at this book than my daughter....mind you she is 3 months old. This is a pure literary delight.
Mylinh
Super cute book about a doughnut that doesn't realize he's made for eating. A fun book for children to read by themselves or with a parent so that they can read each silly additional comment Keller adds to the page outside of the text of the story.

Publisher’s Weekly Best Children’s Book

from School Library Journal:
Kindergarten-Grade 3-Similar in style and format to Keller's Open Wide (Holt, 2000), this fun-filled adventure takes readers to a bakery. A chocolate-covered doughnut serves as guide, d...more
Sandy
Arnie is just what he wanted to be…..a chocolate sprinkled doughnut. Wouldn’t it be nice if we all were like Arnie and were proud of who we are? Arnie takes us through his birth: how he was cut into a ring, deep fried, cooled, iced, sprinkled and named with some fun photos and comments. Arnie tries to talk it up with some of the other donuts in bakery as we meet some of the other delicious treats waiting to be sold at the bakery. As the bakery opens, Arnie anxiously waits to be bought, he wants...more
Justin Matott
Jul 01, 2008 Justin Matott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone who likes a bit weird and a lot funny!
This book is one of my all time favorite picture books. I will admit when I first learned of the concept behind it I was skeptical of it. I then met the author and spent some time with her and found her to be a delightfully engaging woman and a great speaker with subject matter to capture both adult and a child's imagination and attention. The side bar humor ala Mad Magazine columns is one of my favorite aspects of this book. I have personally purchased numerous copies of this book as gifts and...more
Christina Taylor
Arnie the Doughnut is a wondrous shaggy-dog story in which the title character comes to understand that “that’s what doughnuts are for—to eat” only after he’s been purchased. Discovering that his creator and his fellow doughnuts are not only aware of this atrocity but are also cheerful, willing participants, Arnie resigns himself to this ultimate fate. However, Arnie’s purchaser Mr. Bing is no longer comfortable with this prospect but does not want to be wasteful. In an ironic twist, man and dou...more
Ruhama
This is the story of Arnie's life--how he was created and what happened to him once he hit the bakery shelf. Arnie is happy and carefree, until Mr. Bing buys him and tries to eat him for breakfast! Arnie is crushed; he didn't realize that was his purpose in life. Mr. Bing feels bad, and the two decide to come up with different ways for Mr. Bing to keep Arnie without eating him. Eventually, they decide that Arnie will be Mr. Bing's doughnut-dog, and everyone lives happily ever after.

This book is...more
Nan
I like Laurie Keller's style with all the little call-outs and busy drawings. But the story fell flat with me. Might appeal to little ones, yet they wouldn't have the skills to read it alone. Older students who can read and absorb all the drawings might also feel the story is lacking. Since I'm getting the "Arnie" series I think I'll skip this picture book.
Elaine
Proud to be a chocolate covered doughnut with bright-colored candy sprinkles, Arnie has had a pretty amazing morning of being created and meeting other doughnuts. When his bakery opens, Arnie is thrilled to be selected to go on an adventure with Mr. Bing – then horrified to discover he is about to be eaten! After realizing his doughnut talks and has feelings, Mr. Bing decides not to eat him, so the two toss around a number of humorously unfitting possibilities for what to do with Arnie instead,...more
Liz Stoneking
My kids love doughnuts and they love Arnie. I enjoyed the art style and the fact that it has so much going on in the pictures. It gives you a chance to pick and choose what to read and what to skip so I can cater to my kids attention span.
Gianna Mosser
I thought this was a really inventive way to tell the story of a survival instinct that comes from asking questions and thinking outside the box. Atticus thought it was hilarious, but I thought it was more endearing than funny.
Mrs. Knott
Kids are going to love the humor in this book! I was not prepared to laugh out loud, but I did! Keller does a great job giving a doughnut, a voice! We meet Arnie, get close to Arnie, just in time to laugh, because unbeknownst to him, he's about to get eaten. What? Doughnuts get eaten?? My favorite line is, "Well, that explains why my friends never write or call - they've probably all been EATEN!" Hilarious book with a happy ending!
Heather
The kids really enjoyed this book. It was one of those books they wanted to leaf through after I was done, and examine over and over the little images.
Dan
Snagged this one at the library hoping it would be fun and turned out to be a bore for not only me but also my son. The illustrations were good but the writing was subpar and the story was more of a ramble with an ending that doesn't fit the narrative.
Jordana
not suitable for storytime (NSFS)
- for kids who like Scaredy Squirrel types of books with additional text to read throughout
Sarah D'Arco
So much fun to read and notice all of the tiny details in the illustrations - another clever book from Laurie Keller!
Alaina Sloo
I love it when a book presents kids with an idea they've never, ever considered before. Arnie the Doughnut is full of these surprises. Poor Arnie. It never occurred to him he was made to be eaten. Imagine Arnie's surprise when he discovers that the man who took him home it about to take a bit out of him! And imagine children's surprise when they first discover Arnie didn't know he was supposed to be eaten! With cheerful, quirky illustrations, Arnie is a great book for reading aloud or just cuddl...more
Kim
This book is Hilarous! I particularly like Arnie's slow and painstaking realization that doughnuts aren't good for much of anything other than eating.
The story is great, although from a design perspective the fonts and graphics are all over the place. I'm not sure how well it would work as a read aloud with group because there are lots of tiny little details and side commentary, but it would probably work well as a one on one. I can also see this as a book that would last because as the child g...more
Angela Scott
Cutest Story ever about a doughnut who does not want to be eaten and learns to get along with a the man who bought him another way!
Vanessa
This is a GREAT book! My daughter Kaia got it from the library. She said they'd read it to her at her preschool last year.

It's hysterical even on an adult level. The story is about a newly made donut who is purchased and taken to the home of Mr. Bing. The problem is, Arnie doesn't realize he is supposed to be breakfast.

What made this story for me, wasn't even necessarily the story, but the little asides that are written into the illustrations. Great stuff. Can't wait to read it to Kaia again to...more
Beth
Ok, this is by far the funniest picture book I have seen in a while. It's not new - written in 2003, but I don't know how I've missed it. Arnie is a doughnut who watches all of his "doughnut friends" get taken out of the bakery by customers, and he anxiously awaits his turn. Of course, he eventually has to learn that doughnuts are meant to be eaten. The illustrations are priceless, with a lot of details. It's a book that needs to be read and re-read, and is for kids of all ages.
Sara
The kids love it! We have listened over and over again to this tale of the innocent doughnut who comes to find the realities of life (i.e. he is made to be eaten.) And now we are going to eat our own doughnuts....

P.S. If you can find the book with a CD, even better--it's fun to listen to someone else read, especially since there are funny side comments throughout the book and they give the other doughnuts their own voices, which is something I am not good at.
Kim
Laurie Keller is an odd duck, isn't she? First she mixes up the United States and now she presents us with a doughnut who pines for a higher purpose. Okay, really he just doesn't want to get eaten, but he creates quite the life for himself by the end of the book.

Very, very funny but would probably not work well as a storytime read-aloud due to the many conversational asides throughout. Still, very cute.
Romelle
Funny and quirky. I thought this was well-written with illustrations that include commentary jokes. Readers will enjoy this wacky story because a) it's a story about a talking doughnut, b) the doughnut isn't aware that his purpose in life is to be eaten, and c) who wouldn't want a doughnut as a pet?

Lots of details in the illustrations that would keep the reader engaged and entertained.
Angela
Yea for Arnie the doughnut.
Now if he becomes a dective doughnut and finds out what happened after the author took the box of doughnuts from the bakery? Did she liberate the doughnuts? eat the doughnuts? Share the doughnuts for others to eat? Share the doughnuts so others can walk the doughnuts?
I think Arnie needs to get to the bottom of this mystery. :)
Heidi
I don't put picture books on here unless I thoroughly enjoy them. So, that right there should tell you something. This was fun to read out loud to all of my children, even the one that is "too old" to be read to. He understood the word play and such while the younger ones enjoyed Arnie. I recommend it for anyone, even if you are on a diet. ;)
Jen
Charming. This book saved us several years ago when I was stuck on a freeway for three hours with two kids. We had spent the day at the beach and were unprepared when an accident caused the freeway's closure. We read it slowly and enjoyed every page. I was so excited to see that there is now a new series starring Arnie.
  • Madam President
  • Guess Again!
  • Pssst!
  • Doctor Ted
  • The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
Laurie Keller grew up in Muskegon, Michigan. She always loved to draw, paint and write stories. She spent much of her time performing in a local dance tour company and dancing in and choreographing some civic theatre shows.
She graduated several years later with a BFA in Illustration. She also got a job as a greeting card illustrator at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri. She is the author and...more
More about Laurie Keller...
The Scrambled States of America Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners The Scrambled States of America Talent Show Bowling Alley Bandit Open Wide: Tooth School Inside