The Richest Girl in the World: The Extravagant Life and Fast Times of Doris Duke

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From her birth in 1912, when she was christened "the Million-Dollar Baby," to the age of thirteen, when she inherited the bulk of her father's $100 million tobacco fortune, to 1988, when she posted $5 million in bail for former Philippine First Lady Imelda Marcos, Doris Duke has made headlines. But those headlines do not even begin to tell one of the most compelling and fa...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Richest Girl in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Richest Girl in the World

Rebecca
This book was an interesting read but lacked passion or insight. I saw an A&E Biography about Mrs. Duke and found her life portrayed as far more fascinating than as was described in this book.
Elizabeth Sulzby
I read Rich Girl, Poor Girl first. It extends through Doris Duke's death and how her wills were changed radically on her deathbed and how the foundations were managed under that contested will.

Richest Girl in the World is a much more trivial book but I need to get the Rich Girl, Poor Girl book again since both books are filled with memorable details so much so that I want to know if there was plagiarism or just that the jewels, marble, camels, etc., were all well documented.

Both books did seem...more
Muffy Kroha
I think I need to mix it up before I read another celebrity bio- After a while the petulant antics of the alienated rich start to get a little tired. It reminds me of watching that Doors movie, which was preceded by the Tina Turner movie- I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, you were young and innocent, you got successful, you then partied too hard and everybody grew a beard and started freaking out on each other-

Same thing with the cliche post college Euro trip I took where you just go from museum to...more
Rebecca King
This lady has lived an unimaginable life, beginning with her birth into an extremely wealthy (1900 wealth = $1M) family with an obsessively protective father and cold, distant mother. This book is testament that wealth (in this case, extreme) can't purchase any long-term happiness.
Sandy Batesel
For some reason this author was hard for me to read. And, the story of Doris Duke was, I thought, a very sad one. She had everything in the world, materially, but nothing at all emotionally. Tragic!
Pixietweet Clip
Loads of fun, loads of famous characters. Luv it, dahling.
Al Ba
Al Ba marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Neja
Neja marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Terry Palmerio
Terry Palmerio marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Stephanie Wilson-hartzog
Stephanie Wilson-hartzog marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Audrey
Audrey is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Marley
Marley marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Marla
Marla marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Cristina Engel
Cristina Engel marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Genevieve Chicka
Genevieve Chicka marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Richest Girl In The World: The Extravagant Life and Fast Times of Doris Duke Whistled Like a Bird: The Untold Story of Dorothy Putnam, George Putnam, and Amelia Earhart Creating a Life of Joy: A Meditative Guide Whistled Like a Bird: The Untold Story of Dorothy Putnam, George Putnam and Amelia Earhart Puerto Vallarta Squeeze