Start by marking “Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
Auschwitz

Auschwitz

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  316 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Using the fictional story of a couple named Kazik and Cessia who lose a daughter at the Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration camp and barely survive themselves, Pascal Croci depicts the horror and brutality of the Holocaust in grim, searing, black-and-white illustrations.
Published April 1st 2004 by Harry N. Abrams (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Auschwitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auschwitz

Katie Cruel
Sep 18, 2013 Katie Cruel rated it it was ok
Oh God the inaccuracies.

You can't just watch "Schindler's List" and use that as your historical research basis. You just can't. Because although it's a great movie, it's just that, *a movie.*

Jarringly notable things I noticed were incorrect uniforms for both the guards/the prisoners and the inaccurate attribution of a photograph from the Babi Yar massacre to something that happened in Auschwitz. Seriously?

I'd also like to point out that in the entire history of the camp, there's only one documen
Adalira Morningstar
2.5 stars. When will you give us the ability to rate using half stars? C'mon, Goodreads. Get your shit together.

I'd like to begin this by admitting that not being blown away by this graphic novel makes me feel like such a dick. You know what I mean? I feel like I'm instantly a shitty person for criticizing something based on interviews with Holocaust survivors but at the same time, I don't believe we should hand out free passes just because a book deals with a certain subject. (And now I sound
Angie
Jan 17, 2016 Angie rated it liked it
Estoy dudando entre las 2.5 o 3 estrellas, porque a pesar de ser una historia fuerte y en un escenario tan macabro como Auschwitz no llegar a emocionar del todo y siento que el autor podría haber aprovechado de mejor manera la historia, hacerla más profunda.
Jeremy Miller
Jun 01, 2014 Jeremy Miller rated it really liked it
From a young age I've always had an interest in the holocaust, which that statement might seem morbid or wrong,but my interest comes from the psychological point of view. I probably finished this book within the first hour of opening it, due to various reasons, such as the authors rendition of the Nazis, and turns on a light on how concentration camps were actually ran. I feel its common for one to ask a survivor " How did you survive?" which places there fate inside the hands of the Nazi, which ...more
Josh Cook
Jun 04, 2014 Josh Cook rated it really liked it
Kazik and Cessia take me on a journey through the hard times of Auschwitz. Grippingly sad when the loss of there daughter pushes them to a breaking point. Barely surviving themselves this was a decently well book and it can be harsh to think about that reality was actually like that for both of them and any Jew in the holocaust. The chilling grip of this book was how there was no color in the illurstarations it gives you that depressed and desperate feel for the genral tone of the book. All and ...more
Nick Ragust
Oct 24, 2014 Nick Ragust rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was very interesting to follow the story of some Jewish people during their struggles in Auschwitz, which is very surreal because the artwork matched my memory of what it looked like when I saw it. The story follows a couple characters in the final days as the camp is about to be liberated by the Americans, but (spoilers) it was too little too late for this unfortunate family who ends up dead due to their resilience. I recommend this to anyone who wants to see more of wha ...more
Darnia
Most of the people already knew about the holocaust in any version, so I only focus to the art. I love the shading, even the people expressions were creepy enough (I have to compared with another Croci's work such as Dracula: Le Mythe Raconté Par Bram Stoker because some of 'em reminded me to those characters). The way Croci played the light in his art were amazing!
Tyler
Jun 02, 2014 Tyler added it
I can't say that i "liked" this book but I did. Like the things that happen in it aren't things that the healthy human mind should like. Croci is brutal on what he desires the reader to see and imagine. The story follows a couple of fictional characters named Kazik and Cessia who lose a daughter at the camp (Auschwitz.) It tells their story and what they must do to survive. I would recommend this to everyone that wants to read or likes books/comics about the Holocaust.
Tony Cafiso
Mar 14, 2014 Tony Cafiso rated it really liked it
Auschwitz is a story about a Jewish family trying to survive the extermination camp, Auschwitz. It follows them from the point that they enter the camp until they are on their way to the gas chamber, when their camp is liberated. I thought the art in this book was very interesting. It was all drawn in pencil black and white, but it didn't lose its effect because of it. I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone who is interested by the stories of the Nazis.
Diana
Dec 14, 2014 Diana rated it liked it
Me gustó leer este cómic por el simple echo de que trata un tema que me gusta leer (en general me gustan los cómics realistas). Sin embargo, no me aportó nada nuevo, y tampoco sentí gran cosa. Me pareció un guión muy pobre, podría ser mucho más profundo, para que el lector llegue a sentir realmente lo que significó esa época. Bueno, esta es mi opinión. En cuanto a las ilustraciones, muy bonitas. Eso sí.
Aj
Jun 04, 2014 Aj added it
I thought this book was really good. It is sad that it is true as to what happened but it was well written. I defiantly would recommend this to anyone who is into history and wants to know anything more about Auschwitz or any other WW2 stories.
Anthony Amorelli
This was a pretty good book on the perspective of the inmates of auschwitz. It showed how they feel about what's going on and what they try to do about it. The artwork was very cool and also helped tell the story more.
Paige Davis
Jul 21, 2014 Paige Davis rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-13-25
This frame-story graphic novel combines the two separate stories of a husband and wife as they reflect on their experience in the Auschwitz extermination and concentration camp. Each of their stories focus on their daughter: Kazik, the husband, recounts his experience finding his daughter alive on the floor of a gas chamber he is ordered to clean out, and Cessia, the wife, recounts their daughter's last days.
I loved this book artistically. The illustrations are completely in black and white, wi
Greg
Jul 24, 2015 Greg rated it it was ok
I thought the drawings were quite good but the story was difficult to follow and aside from a few key moments, didn't seem to add much to what has already been said on this topic. I struggled with the sense as I read that the author had no personal connection other than the connection we all have as human beings and this was borne out in the material at the end where the author seemed to be defending his decision to publish the book and framing it as courageous. I'm not making a definitive stanc ...more
Alyse Liebovich
Sep 24, 2012 Alyse Liebovich rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
It's hard to say that you "liked" a book of this sort. Croci doesn't hold back with his often violent depictions/illustrations of the terror at Auschwitz. It's gut-twisting to look at, and I found myself, at times, only focusing on the text bubbles and only glossing over the illustrations. The interview at the end [with Croci], which includes excerpts of letters from survivors interviewed for the fictional depiction, was interesting and eye-opening.
Matthew
This does a decent job and the bracketing story with Bosnia is a helpful reminder of why this subject needs to be studied. However with a class if I had to choose a graphic novel for the Holocaust, I'd stick with Maus.
Nov 10, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: reluctant readers learning about the Holocaust
Recommended to Sarah by: Saw it at my school library
I was somewhat disappointed. The story felt very rushed and it was confusing at times who was who. I wouldn't recommend it, really- there are better books about the Holocaust.
Orion
Nov 23, 2014 Orion rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Auschwitz is a graphic novel depicting a typical Jewish family's experience of the Nazi death camp written by Italian artist Pascal Croci. The author portrays Kazik and Cessia looking back 50 years to their time at Auschwitz from their current life in Yugoslavia. He portrays the transport by train, the initial selection process where they are separated from each other and their daughter Ann, Kazik's day to day life, his work in the gas chambers and crematoria, the whole horror of the death camp ...more
Erik Hawksley
Jun 12, 2014 Erik Hawksley rated it liked it
This novel wasn't TERRIBLE but it was just kind of okay for me. It follows the story of story of many different characters who are kept in Auschwitz, most of which who have been there for months and their struggle to survive. I really like the art style, like a lot. The characters weren't perfect but they were pretty good and served their purpose. I guess for the me the novel just never truly all came together. It just kinda jumped from one event to the next giving us bits of story here and ther ...more
Kayla Baker
Apr 07, 2015 Kayla Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-13-25
Auschwitz is a place that any survivor would want to forget. This graphic novel gives the reader the stories of a family going through the camp. The parents are recollecting what happened to them on the inside. Their daughter was sent to the gas chamber but survived by being buried under other bodies. The father found her as he was asked to help take care of the bodies.

I thought that this book did a beautiful job of giving the reader the horror of the time and place without having to be too gra
Michael Scott
TODO:

Overall, an interesting work, but too dark and confusing. The main published sources for this work, including—by the author's admission—the movies Shoah (1985) and Spielberg's Schindler's List (1990s), and the graphical novel Maus, are perhaps better accounts.

+ the topic of human genocide, in this case the Shoah, is unfortunately timeless
+ the treatment is novel for the medium: a realistic, dark, humorless, dehumanized depiction of life in one of the infamous extermination camps
+ "the freed
David  Despain
Apr 30, 2012 David Despain rated it liked it
This was a good portrayal of the infamous concentration camp Auschwitz. Honestly, it is probably one of the darkest graphic novels I have seen or read. I have certainly bumped into a lot of disturbing ones, but this was a different kind of disturbing. It was haunting in a way, and it made me uncomfortable, which was most likely the intention of said novel. Honestly, any holocaust related media bothers, not only from living in German, but it almost manages to fill me with fear. Truly, though this ...more
Kellie Wagner
Sep 14, 2011 Kellie Wagner rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-2011-2012
This is the first graphic novel I've ever read. For that reason, I liked the form. However, it seems symbolic to have drawn out, longer books about the holocaust rather than quick reads. The pictures are also very violent, which portrays the correct message, but seems to lack depth without more history included.

The book was a fictional story about the holocaust. The pictures are gruesome black and white sketches, and because some of the plot overlaps and the characters are hard to differentiate
Jana Merrill
May 01, 2012 Jana Merrill rated it liked it
Wow, for a graphic novel that was extremely dark. The whole book has absolutely no color, all of the drawings are in black and white. The pictures were beautifully drawn, and yet extremely disturbing. But, I think that it was extremely appropriate that the drawings lacked color because I feel like that accurately portrays an the horrid things those prisoners had to go through.. I did like that the author used a real life story of a family that went to Auschwitz, it made the story more real to me ...more
stephanie
so i picked this up in my random wandering in the YA graphic novels section of the library and i found it . . . strange. i had a had time following the narrative - there are three plots running through, and it's hard for me to figure them out in the beginning.

i'm not a huge fan of the art either - it almost seemed too overdone with the skeletal features, etc. i suppose because you can do so much more in art than you can with real photos . . .

the interview with the author at the end really dist
Kaylee
Jan 26, 2014 Kaylee rated it liked it
Shelves: ya1-12
Auschwitz is a historical fiction graphic novel based on the extermination/concentration camp, Auschwitz. The book speaks of real events and happenings at the camp, but the characters are fictional. The main characters are a couple, Kazik and Cessia. They lose their daughter in the camp, and are two of the lucky few who survived Auschwitz.

I enjoy the pictures in graphic novels, but I find them harder to read and feel that the story is more choppy. Nonetheless, I thought this book did a great jo
Julie Suzanne
Jul 29, 2009 Julie Suzanne rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who are interested in disturbing, detailed, realistic representations of depravity & violence
The only redeeming quality of this graphic novel is the bonus material at the end: interviews with Croci that reveal what he was trying to do, even though he didn't accomplish any of it well. This is by far the least effective and most poorly written piece of work on the subject that I have yet encountered.

I did get to see an aspect of camp life from a new angle, though: Croci graphically depicts the gas chamber from within, minutes after the last victim's breath, and casually shows the job tha
Greta
The author knows his subject but chose to change some details for the sake of his art. That's a strange decision because on the other hand, he wanted the fictionalized story to be as realistic and historically correct as possible.

The story he told, didn't resonate with me, despite of the subject matter. Maybe I already read too much about it.

In comparison to Maus, it fails, that's for sure.

Rhonda
Dec 23, 2015 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I need 4 books to complete my goal of 50 for the year. I saw this was a graphic novel of sorts and thought it would be a quick easy read.

Not a quick easy read. It is a graphic novel...and it is graphic in the art with concerns to the concentration camp and how the Jewish people were exterminated. Not for the feint of heart by any means.

I am not sure on the historical accuracy of the book either.
Robert Beveridge
Pascal Croci, Auschwitz (Abrams, 2002)

I finished Auschwitz over a month ago and I'm still trying to figure out what to say about it. It's not that it's a bad book, per se. In fact, it's a pretty good one. I just wonder why. (And judging by Croci's afterword, I'm not the first to do so by any means.) The story, in two parts, deals with a family's trials and tribulations at Auschwitz; the father on one side of the camp, the mother and daughter on the other. The artwork is stark, almost fearful, th
  • Smoke and Ashes: The Story of the Holocaust