Start by marking “Out of my Comfort Zone: The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Out of my Comfort Zone: The Autobiography

Out of my Comfort Zone: The Autobiography

Rarely does a truly great player reveal as much of himself and his sport as does Steve Waugh in his long awaited autobiography. "Out of my Comfort Zone" is a frank look into a unique life in cricket, a journey into Waugh's life on and off the field. He opens up on his personal life in a way few would expect and reveals the controversies and scandals, the clashes with other ...more
Published July 2005 by Penguin Group

Saurabh Sharma
Aug 17, 2012 Saurabh Sharma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Waugh’s persona on the cricket field was best summed up by the name conferred on him by the fans and media- ’ICE MAN’. With the bat in his hand he was the coolest one around, unruffled and unflappable in adversity. His demeanor, his body language never gave the opposition the tiniest of hint as to what was going beneath the stone cold countenance. However, as a writer Steve Waugh practically bares it all to the world, in this epic recollection of his professional and personal life. And, he ...more
Swamy Atul
Excellent Captain.
Great Cricketer.
Okay Writer.
Waugh writes from the heart. Sad, I'm not a fan. If Rahul Dravid writes something 80% as good as this, I will declare it The Best Autobiography Evvvva! Sorry Steve. Like Dada said, you have to wait!
Bryn Hammond
I read this. Cover to cover. Possibly the only non-writerly autobiography of a still-alive person I have ever read; but then, Steve Waugh remains, possibly, my strangest-ever crush. Since him, it's been English cricketers (I'm a dual citizen); but none so dogged and tenacious in his hold on my affections.
Vijay
Jun 04, 2007 Vijay rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cricket lovers
Shelves: autobiography
Steve Waugh is closest to what I have as an idol. My interest in cricket grew with Waugh's career and is now in a semi-retired state.
Out of my comfort zone is a well chronicled autobiography from the iceman. Having youtube is a big help. I was able to search and play back some of the interesting moments that Waugh recollects. This is a treasure trove for any cricket enthusiast.
Amanda Patterson
Nov 16, 2010 Amanda Patterson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Waugh writes like he batted. He assumes that the writer who accumulates the most pages wins. He is not a skilled author and one doubts whether an editor was allowed anywhere near this tome. The writer can’t see the woods for the trees and the book runs on for far too long – much like the batsman, Waugh did himself.

This cumbersome book is 800 pages long. It shows a boring, self-obsessed man pouring out his long-winded strangled attempts at description on many many pages. Its interesting to note
Amith Guthi
Nov 30, 2015 Amith Guthi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so, what can you learn from Australian Cricket team's most successful captain ?

I'd say - a lot !

is this as close as anyone can get to the mind of a champion?

Definitely !

Steve Waugh to me was the model cricketer. Tough, relentless and committed to the teams objective. He was not as graceful as his brother or Brian Lara, he was not as much fun as Shane Warne was or Kevin Pietersen is, he was far from being as entertaining as Gilchrist is but even after all these 'deficiencies' he to my eyes wa
Abdullah Farooki
Nov 14, 2010 Abdullah Farooki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cricket
Having read a few other cricket biographies / autobiographies, I felt that the book was rather descriptive especially regarding what went inside the mind of Steve Waugh when he was on the cricket field. For a man who remained aloof and emotionally detached, the book does give a lot of insight behind the thinking process that went about playing his game and his captaincy. It was really hard to put the book down for even a minute! Very entertaining and insightful!
Hiten
Jul 17, 2007 Hiten rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Like his cricket - not very attractive, but very effective and educational about the man and the sport.
Aseem Deshpande
Not the best book in the family, either.
Nitin Jagtap
Dec 03, 2016 Nitin Jagtap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mudit Sood
Mar 13, 2013 Mudit Sood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Australian cricketer Steve Waugh started his career as a bowler who could also bat at the lower middle order. Contrary to the 'stone cold' image in the public, he often struggled with his mind doubting his own capabilities in the game. He battled through his negative thoughts in his career to emerge out as one of the greatest cricketers of all time and also one of the most successful Australian batsman and captain.

The first time I held this book in my hands it sent goosebumps down my body. I
Kristian Brockmann
A truly tremendous sporting account and one of the greatest accompaniments to summer that a sports fan could discover. Revealing, yes, insightful too, and Steve tells some hidden tales on leading Australia's greats in a game at times tough and always testing. From Border's days and the Chappel era we could all associate with days long and hot in the backyard and the awesome climb to the pinnacle of a baggy green cap and representing our nation. Most impressive though were the thoughtful moments ...more
Mayank
Nov 05, 2012 Mayank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stalwart, Steve Waugh epitomizes Aussie and the much revered Baggy Green spirit. This is a Cricketing biography in its truest sense and Steve Waugh talks about his struggles through injury and form issues and admits some of his fears. His experiences through India with the Udayan initiative and the other parts of the world, his confrontation with the board and absolute transformation to being 'The Invincibles' are engaging read.
He uses clever and very subtle humor when talking about cricketing
Saravana
Apr 25, 2012 Saravana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a cricket fan,go and grab this book now or else you are not exposed completely to what cricket is all about.The book that reveals the heart of a man who was one of the architechts of the Australian success in Cricket.Stephen Rodger Waugh is one of those very few cricketers whose life is a lesson itself...

He is a genius,not by birth ,but acuqired it through sheer grit,perseverence and hardwork.The book is foreworded by our very own Rahul Dravid who sums up everything in his last few wo
Manny
Dec 30, 2014 Manny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many summers ago I read this book, I think almost immediately after it came out. Steve Waugh is one of my favorite cricketers. I am inspired by his never-say-die attitude, extremely strong mindset, and also how he made the most of whatever batting and bowling skills he possessed. He was not a very gifted batsman. However, by sheer hard work he retired as the highest run-getter in Test cricket. This book gives an insight into his life and his rise in cricket. More importantly through this book yo ...more
Aniket Parikh
I decided to read this book as i love cricket.
This book goes on my bingo board as the free category.

My favourite quote from the book was, "I can't remember any really technical coaching." This shows that you don't really need to be technically perfect to be good cricketer.

Something i learned from this book is that you dont need to be really technically perfect as he made it so far in life without that much technical coaching.

A character i found interesting was John Buchanan. He was the coach
Krishanth
Dec 07, 2013 Krishanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shows the mental side of a strong minded cricketer. Reading the battle between Waugh and Ambrose, Waugh and Lara from Waugh's point of view shows how much he enjoyed the mental aspect of the game. His commitment to kids in 'Udayan'and his experience with 'Mother Teresa' shows the great human being in him. I also enjoyed watching some youtube cricket clips correspond to certain matches which Waugh recollects. Great read for any Cricket fan!!!
Kaustubh Dudhane
Aug 16, 2015 Kaustubh Dudhane rated it really liked it
Finally, I have started... and finally, I have finished. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book very much. All the trouble (browsing on Amazon, torrent and eventually, old book stores and shops) was worth it. The anecdotes and stories (cricketing and non-cricketing) are quite funny. Moreover, Steve Waugh did not write this book to get back at some people like most of the cricketers do now. A long yet entertaining ride!

Abhishek
Jan 14, 2013 Abhishek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most exhaustive account of Steve Waugh! Considering I'm not a crazy fan of cricket, still I could really appreciate the way he narrated his story. He was the guy I grew up watching, and it was nothing short of absolute delight than to get a peek in his personal life!!

Just a heads up, the book is of more than 800 pages, so unless you are not interested, the book is not going to add value to you!!
Bill
Aug 28, 2007 Bill rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cricket Tragics
As a recovering cricket tragic I grew up idolizing former Australian captain Steve Waugh.

Naturally as a young boy I combined my two loves of cricket and reading - this book as well as all of Steve Waugh's tour diaries were the result.

All of Steve's diaries are filled with passion, insight and inspiration.
Rohit Jain
Oct 03, 2011 Rohit Jain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
typical Aussie style...straight forward, in-your face autobiography from a tough nut aussie. Steve Waugh takes into 18 years long journey into why Aussie cricket is the way it is. His tenure as an Aussie cricket, captain, husband and father. Any SW fan needs to reads this book to get into mind of one of the most disciplined cricketer.
Echo Roy
Sep 24, 2015 Echo Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve Waugh shares about the amazing experience he had while traveling across the globe to play cricket at the highest level.

Out of my Comfort Zone The Autobiography by Steve WaughSteve Waugh
Arjun Sreekumar
Dec 08, 2012 Arjun Sreekumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best cricket autobiographies..... Engaging, entertaining, thoughtful.... Ranging from emotional to hilarious..... The book traverses a gamut of emotions that Waugh experiences over his playing career.... Well written... By one of the great cricketers and a great cricketing mind of our time....
Ainsley
Jan 28, 2008 Ainsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve Waugh is one of my heroes. A real Aussie battler who is famous the (cricketing) world over for his mental strength. Steve Waugh was one of the most successful captains of the Australian Cricket team, and one of the (the most?) successful captains ever. Waugh chronicles his career, which was full of ups and downs. Inspiring.
Bill
Jul 25, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This was a satisfying book, because a) I read the really fat hardcover version (though it's actually a pretty fast read) b) it has a typical no nonsense "ice man" style, which which is what you're reading it for and c) because it reminded me of all these cricket moments I forgotten.
Edward Fedotov
Really good book, had me captivated throughout.
Akshay
Probably the best sports autobiography ever written . . . Perfect in all sense, my favorite cricketer's typical "never give up" memoir
Abhinav Venkataraman
Steve Waugh! A classic person both on field and off field! amazing book!
Chinmayapatil
Oct 10, 2014 Chinmayapatil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The amount of detail offered here is mind blowing.
  • True Colours