Start by marking “The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories

The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories

pubOne.info present you this new edition. One of the few advantages that India has over England is a great Knowability. After five years' service a man is directly or indirectly acquainted with the two or three hundred Civilians in his Province, all the Messes of ten or twelve Regiments and Batteries, and some fifteen hundred other people of the non-official caste. In ten ...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories

Ginny_1807
Jun 21, 2012 Ginny_1807 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Laconici capolavori"
Scritti quando Kipling aveva poco più di vent’anni, questi racconti stupiscono per la sapiente articolazione dell’intreccio e la finezza compositiva che li rendono stilisticamente e strutturalmente perfetti. Simili qualità, infatti, farebbero piuttosto supporre l’arte collaudata dall’esperienza di uno scrittore maturo.
Il tema che accomuna le storie è la presenza dell’arcano, ma l’aspetto che le differenzia da altre illustri prove del genere è il fatto che l’elemento misteri
Billy O'Callaghan
I'll admit to a fondness for Kipling. This collection is a little bit uneven, but saved by one good story (The Strange Ride of Morrowbie Jukes, wonderful but let down slightly by its rushed ending...) and one truly great one (The Man Who Would Be King, the ultimate Boy's Own adventure tale, and by itself deserving of a five star rating.)
sabisteb
Mar 18, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die Die Gespenster-Rikscha oder auch die gespenstische Rikscha, wurde 1885 vom damals erst neunzehn Jahre alten Kipling, der heute vor allem für sein Dschungel Buch und den Waisenjungen Mowgli bekannt ist.
Diese Geschichte ist in vielerlei Hinsicht überraschend. Zwar spielt sie ebenfalls in Indien, jedoch erzählt sie von einer leidenschaftlichen Affäre zwischen dem Offizier Jack Pansay mit der verheirateten Agnes Keith-Wessington, ein schon damals skandalöses Thema. Für Jack ist diese Affäre nie
Catherine  Mustread
Anguish and torment can lead to death. Such spirits are known to haunt those who tormented them in life. In colonial India, one rascally blackguard discovers to his misfortune that he is haunted by not just an agitated spectral mistress, but her entire equipage.

Listened to on The Classic Tales Podcast.
Veda Riaz fatmy
The Phantom Rickshaw is a tale about how a man who has been very hurtful to his former lover is punished by repeated apparitions of the ghost of her rickshaw. A good read to pass the time, nothing brilliant except of course the lesson that you must be gentle to women.
Valentina
Es war ok, für das was es ist: eine Kurzgeschichte. Es war teilweise sehr spannend, aber ich hatte immer das unerklärliche Ggefühl, das irgendetwas fehlt. Auch das Ende war ziemlich abrupt. Ich würde es nicht nochmals lesen wollen, obwohl ich sehr gerne über das viktorianische Zeitalter lese.
Apryl Anderson
(1.1.1994), Some entertaining tales, but I couldn’t help but feel that I was skiping a few pages occasionally—sometimes it was hard to follow. I think it’s because some terms that were common to the British expatriates in India, or maybe the time period, have been forgotten over time and oceans. More explanations would’ve have done any harm.

What was Kipling’s impression of India? Did he really believe that Britons were the Master Race? I know that was the zeitgeist, and many of his tales reflec
BJ Haun
Apr 14, 2012 BJ Haun rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I started reading this collection months and months ago, and in a recent effort to clear out my list of books that I had started and then put down, picked this one up again...only to to be reminded of why I put it down. Kipling's writing just doesn't do anything for me. I made it through the first 3 stories in the book, went to skip over "The Man Who Would be King" as I had read it previously, and found that I couldn't for myself to make the effort to flip the "pages" on my Kindle to the last st ...more
Rodrigo
Nov 07, 2013 Rodrigo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-lit
These are ghost stories Kipling style. The mystery is quickly substituted by a fine irony and a delicate sense of humor making these stories absolutely delicious to read. My favorite is the one about the "almost dead" people, which mean people that were thought to be dead but awoke just at the moment they were going to be thrown at the Ganges. Well, since they are not dead, but were considered to be dead, it is easier to send them to a village secluded from the world were they can complete their ...more
Kilian Metcalf
Oct 10, 2013 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kipling is such a product of his time and culture that it is difficult to assess him from a 21st-century perspective. Ultimately his work lives, in spite of his own personal philosophy of what we consider imperialism and racism today, because he is a consummate story teller. The reader is willing to overlook the cringe-worthy attitudes toward the lower races because we desperately want to know 'then what happened?' as we read. Add in the element of memorable characters, unpredictable plot turns, ...more
Nan Silvernail
Quite a collection of period pieces. The title story is highly embroidered in the language of the time and place, but it is quite eerie. The Delphi Classics edition (in the Complete Works collection) has a photo of the original publication. A lovely bonus. This collection also contained "The Man Who Would Be King." I found it more sad than eerie. I'm not completely sure why this tale has gained the acclaim it has, but then again, I wasn't impressed by the movie, "Citizen Kane," so weigh that how ...more
Andrew Ives
All very nicely written but the stories are mostly ridiculous. The Man Who Would Be King is by far the best, but my memory may be slightly rose-tinted by the film which I remember quite fondly. The last story about 'the greatest tale ever written' was rather tiresome with extracts of poetry, and the exuberant claim that Charlie's tale about a Greek galley ship would ever be 'the greatest' is somewhat doubtful anyway. 3.5/5
Sal
Feb 05, 2008 Sal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Jedes Mal, wenn ich etwas von Rudyard Kipling lese, frage ich mich, warum ich nicht viel mehr von diesem äußerst unterhaltsamen Autor gelesen habe. Diese Erzählung habe ich als Hörbuch kostenlos (und legal) auf www.vorleser.ner. Die kurzweilige Erzählung hat mich auf einer verregneten Autofahrt mitten in den Stau auf einer gesperrten Autobahn angenehm unterhalten.
Leslie
Only the first 2 stories ("The Phantom 'Rickshaw" and "My Own True Ghost Story") are really ghost stories. I found these 2 more creepy in concept than in the actual reading - both of them would adapt well as a scary movie. I found "The Finest Story in the World" the best story in this volume, especially in terms of the writing style. I did like the novella "The Man Who Would Be King" mainly because it recalled to mind the wonderful film version with Michael Caine and Sean Connery!
Cooper Renner
Most of us wouldn't call most of these stories ghost stories--just the title story is fairly traditionally so. Man Who Would Be King is included, and it's hardly a ghost story. The best tale may be the final one, about an encounter between a writer and a young man who is remembering past lives without realizing it.
Satyabrata Mishra
What can I say about the master of the ghost prose? All stories are chilling with a twist in the spine. Mostly set in the rustic corners of India, each story is like none other but scary at par. If you are looking for a ghost story, pick this book up. You won't regret it ( can't say about sleepless nights though )
Siobhan
Aug 14, 2014 Siobhan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A little difficult to read. I didn't find the tales eerie as the cover described them, although the concept of some of them is. Somehow it managed to be interesting and boring at the same time. I probably liked The Strange Ride Of Morrowbie Jukes the best, but The Phantom Rickshaw was good too. The Man Who Would Be King appealed to me the least, and I'm not sure why it's so highly thought of.
Pat Elliott
Not all of the stories are ghost stories, and some are feeling rather dated. However, still an enjoyable book. Not the Rickshaw of the title, nor the man who would be King grabbed me the most, but the last, a story of a young man who could recollect his past lives. That was the most fascinating to me, though not a ghost in it!
Dwight
Jan 14, 2008 Dwight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 2nd favorite book after Kim. Absolute must-read if you've traveled to or wanted to have traveled to India. Includes "The Man Who Would Be King," and yes, the short story is 87 times better than the movie.
Ryan
Dec 14, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a bit of nothing compared to the amazing Kim, but a pleasant enough handful of stories. Sadly, nothing really captivating though. The title story is probably the best of the bunch, so if it doesn't grab you, probably best to spend your time reading something better.
Ladiibbug
Short Stories - Ghosts, Spirits, the Unseen

Good stories. Somehow I never read this author as a child, though I was a big reader even back then. TY Good Reader Debbie for your review of RK's books earlier this year, prompting me to add this classic author.
Kathi Sharp
Sep 08, 2014 Kathi Sharp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, podcast
Heard on The Classic Tales Podcast: http://classictales.libsyn.com/episod...
Just the Phantom Rickshaw, not the whole collection. Liked the little bits of humor: "A woman eight months dead with a cardcase!"
Matt
Aug 30, 2014 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good little ghost story. I like the fact it took place in Victorian India.
Hans
Jul 01, 2010 Hans rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Punishment of a scorned lover.
Maria
Aug 16, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mandy
Sep 12, 2015 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eearie stories and entertaining at the same time. Sometimes a little hard to follow.
Debra B.
I enjoyed these stories and their historical context. It was a free download to my Kindle.
Joseph
Dec 11, 2014 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For what it is, perfect.
Wendy Denham
Oct 14, 2013 Wendy Denham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This different to anything else I have read by Kipling. A really good book to read on a stormy night with a nice hot drink of glass of something to your liking.
Onírica Celia
  • Carnacki, the Ghost Finder
  • The Temple
  • Wonder Tales: The Book of Wonder and Tales of Wonder
  • Hermann Lauscher
  • Lot No. 249 (Fantasy and Horror Classics)
  • Il turno
  • The Mysterious Warning
  • The Virgin of the Seven Daggers: Excursions into Fantasy
  • Widdershins
  • Black Spirits and White - A Book of Ghost Stories
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
More about Rudyard Kipling...

“More men are killed by overwork than the importance of the world justifies.” 13 likes
“...I saw the infernal Thing blocking my path in the twilight. The dead travel fast, and by short cuts unknown to ordinary coolies. I laughed aloud a second time, and checked my laughter suddenly, for I was afraid I was going mad.” 2 likes