Start by marking “The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help--Or Hurt--How You Lead” as Want to Read:

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A guide for using body language to lead more effectivelyAspiring and seasoned leaders have been trained to manage their leadership communication in many important ways. And yet, all their efforts to communicate effectively can be derailed by even the smallest nonverbal gestures such as the way they sit in a business meeting, or stand at the podium at a speaking engagement. ...more
Published March 16th 2011 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Language of Leaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Language of Leaders

Danny Wong
Interesting to understand how non-verbal clues can make such differences in every day communications. Many of the suggestions are common sense, worthwhile for a quick read.
Stephanie
Fascinating stuff on how our body language will help us in leadership and communication. Really enjoyed the chapter on gender differences.
Scott Wozniak
Well written with solid reminders and some interesting insights, it's not a long book.

There are some clever ideas--note the legs/feet to get a more honest read of people in a seated meeting--and some leader specific ideas--where to sit at a conference table (maximize eye contact), But the first part of the book is mostly standard, solid body language.

The final section was my favorite. The author asked leaders from cultures all over the world to explain how their culture handles: eye contact, p
Eric
Eye opener...

While reading I begin to be exposed to the role body language play's in our lives.
Silent Language of Leaders...
Nicole
This book made me think about my own leadership habits and ways to improve them.
Alan Caramatti
This is an interesting and insightful book on some of the behaviors our bodies engage in that also reflect our attitudes. At the same time, the author avoids common traps in this subject, such as promises that you: (1) can manipulate people by faking attitudes (why?), and (2) will be able to read people's minds by reading their bodies (yeah, right!). The author does a good job of referring to specific studies that have been done, and the Notes in the back of the book refer you to the original so ...more
Ben Galbraith
I enjoyed this book. I learned quite a few insights about how body language influences people's perception about others. As a business-centric book on the topic, I learned how I can be a better manager and a better peer by paying more attention to both my own body language and body language of others. But ultimately the book seem to contain a great deal of filler material and I felt I could've gained everything that I learned by reading a short article on the topic.
Dan Gabree
Very enjoyable read, both entertaining and enlightening. Good insights into different perspectives on actions, and some good advice on certain situations. Explores actions from the perspective of an international community, as well as looking at gender specific considerations.

All in all, I found myself taking more notes and finding more NEW perspectives than I ever expected from a book on this subject. Definitely worth reading and perhaps, reading twice.
Michael Sanderson-green
Interesting enough to read but a bit light on and superficial in research. I felt there was too much an emphasis on women changing their body language to be more like men , the reality especially in Australia is male leaders are trying to develop the people skills most women already have so why suggest women move towards a dysfunctional group when I fact they are ideally place in the new world of management.
Susan
Excellent read for those who are in leadership positions. It is interesting how many small gestures can be taken the wrong way. Everyone comes to conversations with their own expectations and baggage. It is very important to always remember how gestures can be misinterpreted.
Good stuff to know!
Kat Davis
A lot of the info in this book was common sense, but that is not to say there were some really interesting facts and suggestions. Written more for the management type, I can see how these 'tells' would be good to develop for people management. All in all a relatively interesting read.
Anton
Last two chapters might be skipped, but the whole book is worth reading.
Carolyn
The frumpy presentation and illustrations made the book feel dated, despite being published in 2011.
Dumitru Stirbu
Dumitru Stirbu marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jon Klem
Jon Klem marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Kyle Duffey
Kyle Duffey marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Alvaro Posada
Alvaro Posada marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Chris Henthorn
Chris Henthorn marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Kevin McDonagh
Kevin McDonagh marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Yachit
Yachit marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Edric Edric
Edric Edric marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Michael Agunga
Michael Agunga marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Maria Borda
Maria Borda marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • Understanding Other People: The Five Secrets to Human Behavior
  • It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-Spoken, and Clear
  • Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone
  • The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice
  • Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others
  • Body Language For Dummies
  • 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
  • Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Art of Profitability
  • Winning Body Language: Control the Conversation, Command Attention, and Convey the Right Message--Without Saying a Word
  • Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Visual Teams: Graphic Tools for Commitment, Innovation, & High Performance
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • Signals: How To Use Body Language For Power, Success, And Love
  • When Body Language Goes Bad
  • Honest Signals: How They Shape Our World
Dr. Carol Kinsey Goman, president of Kinsey Consulting Services, specializes in energizing individuals and organizations to thrive in an environment of constant change. Carol is an international lecturer who presents keynote addresses and seminars for corporations, management conferences and major trade associations. She is the author of ten business books, including "THE NONVERBAL ADVANTAGE: Secr ...more
More about Carol Kinsey Goman...
The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work The Truth About Lies in the Workplace: How to Spot Liars and What to Do About Them Ghost Story: A Modern Business Fable A Vantagem Não Verbal: Segredos e ciência da linguagem corporal no trabalho The Loyalty Factor: Building Trust in Today's Workplace

“the next time your opponent presents a written document for you to read, resist the temptation to look at it. Instead, ask him to tell you what it says, and watch his body language as he does. You'll learn so much more.” 0 likes
“A good rule is to look for three body language signals that reinforce the same nonverbal message.” 0 likes