Start by marking “The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help--Or Hurt--How You Lead” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A guide for using body language to lead more effectivelyAspiring and seasoned leaders have been trained to manage their leadership communication in many important ways. And yet, all their efforts to communicate effectively can be derailed by even the smallest nonverbal gestures such as the way they sit in a business meeting, or stand at the podium at a speaking engagement. ...more
Published March 16th 2011 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Language of Leaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Language of Leaders

Amal Shoeib
There are multiple considerations to closely pay attention to such as:

Consider context:Should someone in this situation be acting like this?Look for clusters of actions, not isolated ones:All three of those behaviors are associated with…?Get a baseline:How do they normally act?Be aware of your biases:Are you tempted to cut them slack and they haven’t started speaking yet?

Your abilities will make a quantum leap if you realize that body language is part of a bigger context and a bigger cluster and
Thai
Really good book with lots of real life examples.
The book is easy to read so I've enjoyed reading it!
The recommendations on presentation (body language onstage) are great!
Danny Wong
Interesting to understand how non-verbal clues can make such differences in every day communications. Many of the suggestions are common sense, worthwhile for a quick read.
Stephanie
Fascinating stuff on how our body language will help us in leadership and communication. Really enjoyed the chapter on gender differences.
Scott Wozniak
Well written with solid reminders and some interesting insights, it's not a long book.

There are some clever ideas--note the legs/feet to get a more honest read of people in a seated meeting--and some leader specific ideas--where to sit at a conference table (maximize eye contact), But the first part of the book is mostly standard, solid body language.

The final section was my favorite. The author asked leaders from cultures all over the world to explain how their culture handles: eye contact, p
Eric
Eye opener...

While reading I begin to be exposed to the role body language play's in our lives.
Silent Language of Leaders...
Nicole
This book made me think about my own leadership habits and ways to improve them.
Minjung
A quick read to understand behavioral descriptions and what it means.
Alan Caramatti
This is an interesting and insightful book on some of the behaviors our bodies engage in that also reflect our attitudes. At the same time, the author avoids common traps in this subject, such as promises that you: (1) can manipulate people by faking attitudes (why?), and (2) will be able to read people's minds by reading their bodies (yeah, right!). The author does a good job of referring to specific studies that have been done, and the Notes in the back of the book refer you to the original so ...more
Ben Galbraith
I enjoyed this book. I learned quite a few insights about how body language influences people's perception about others. As a business-centric book on the topic, I learned how I can be a better manager and a better peer by paying more attention to both my own body language and body language of others. But ultimately the book seem to contain a great deal of filler material and I felt I could've gained everything that I learned by reading a short article on the topic.
Dan Gabree
Very enjoyable read, both entertaining and enlightening. Good insights into different perspectives on actions, and some good advice on certain situations. Explores actions from the perspective of an international community, as well as looking at gender specific considerations.

All in all, I found myself taking more notes and finding more NEW perspectives than I ever expected from a book on this subject. Definitely worth reading and perhaps, reading twice.
Michael Sanderson-green
Interesting enough to read but a bit light on and superficial in research. I felt there was too much an emphasis on women changing their body language to be more like men , the reality especially in Australia is male leaders are trying to develop the people skills most women already have so why suggest women move towards a dysfunctional group when I fact they are ideally place in the new world of management.
Susan
Excellent read for those who are in leadership positions. It is interesting how many small gestures can be taken the wrong way. Everyone comes to conversations with their own expectations and baggage. It is very important to always remember how gestures can be misinterpreted.
Good stuff to know!
Kat Davis
A lot of the info in this book was common sense, but that is not to say there were some really interesting facts and suggestions. Written more for the management type, I can see how these 'tells' would be good to develop for people management. All in all a relatively interesting read.
Carolyn
The frumpy presentation and illustrations made the book feel dated, despite being published in 2011.
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Nazi Joon
Nazi Joon marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Kolya
Kolya marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
El Tanapun
El Tanapun marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Jake Steier
Jake Steier marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Karan Goel
Karan Goel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Anne
Anne added it
Aug 23, 2015
Robyn Kerkhof
Robyn Kerkhof marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jbk_jbk
Jbk_jbk marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Pppkeee
Pppkeee marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Alexandria Sorensen
Alexandria Sorensen marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
L.Riner
L.Riner marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
  • Understanding Other People: The Five Secrets to Human Behavior
  • It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-Spoken, and Clear
  • Power Questions - Build Relationships, Win New Business and Influence Others
  • The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice
  • Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone
  • Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know
  • Body Language For Dummies
  • 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Body Language: How to Know What's REALLY Being Said
  • People Smart: Developing Your Interpersonal Intelligence
  • Winning Body Language: Control the Conversation, Command Attention, and Convey the Right Message--Without Saying a Word
  • The Mackay MBA of Selling in the Real World
  • The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles
  • The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind
  • Honest Signals: How They Shape Our World
  • The Intention Economy: When Customers Take Charge
Dr. Carol Kinsey Goman, president of Kinsey Consulting Services, specializes in energizing individuals and organizations to thrive in an environment of constant change. Carol is an international lecturer who presents keynote addresses and seminars for corporations, management conferences and major trade associations. She is the author of ten business books, including "THE NONVERBAL ADVANTAGE: Secr ...more
More about Carol Kinsey Goman...
The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work The Truth About Lies in the Workplace: How to Spot Liars and What to Do About Them This Isn't the Company I Joined: Seven Steps to Energizing a Restructured Work Force Adapting to Change Ghost Story: A Modern Business Fable

“the next time your opponent presents a written document for you to read, resist the temptation to look at it. Instead, ask him to tell you what it says, and watch his body language as he does. You'll learn so much more.” 0 likes
“A good rule is to look for three body language signals that reinforce the same nonverbal message.” 0 likes