Start by marking “Everlasting Syllabub and the Art of Carving” as Want to Read:
Everlasting Syllabub and the Art of Carving

Everlasting Syllabub and the Art of Carving (Penguin Great Food #9)

Writing for domestic servants in a conversational, accessible way, eighteenth-century housewife Hannah Glasse disapproved of French terminology and fussiness, instead favouring simple dishes that are still cooked today - a preference that has earned her the reputation of 'the first Domestic Goddess'.

With recipes for rice pudding, beef rump, barbecued pork, trifle and even
Published April 7th 2011 by Penguin Classics (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Everlasting Syllabub and the Art of Carving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everlasting Syllabub and the Art of Carving

Ria
Mar 03, 2014 Ria rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book on the writings of Hannah Glasse who was an 18th century housewife who deplored all the "French terminology" and fussiness associated with the preparation of food.
Her writing was mostly aimed at domestic servants to aid them in everyday life, her style is pretty straightforward and for the day not THAT patronising, this book covers everything a servant of the day could possibly need to aid her in the facilitation of her domestic function.
From butchery, preserving, food prepara
Zelda
Jan 30, 2012 Zelda rated it really liked it
This book of recipes from 1747 is a gem. I knew it from the moment I read the first recipe for sauce which tells us to add "...a pigeon beat all to pieces,". You can't imagine the satisfaction I felt in mentally completing this task. Then it tells us that, "...you can add an old cock beat to pieces" but doesn't tell us what to do about THAT mental picture. Other highlights:

-"For choosing a lamb's head, mind the eyes..."
-Recipes for plover, thrush, mavis, lark, teal, and widgeon.
-"When you buy eg
Sonja
Nov 17, 2016 Sonja rated it really liked it
A complete time warp.
Fanficfan44
Mar 07, 2015 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it
I am reading my way through the Penguins Great Food set that I received for Christmas and so I just finished Hannah Glasse’s contribution to the set, Everlasting Syllabub and the Art of Carving. I am finding these historical food reads fascinating and this one is no different. Interesting comments in many of the chapters are entertaining and give a hint to the attitudes and dry wit of Hannah Glasse. The opening note, To the Reader, sets out Mrs. Glasse’s intention for her writing and sets the ...more
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
I'm quite enjoying reading through the Penguin Great Food series and this is the second one I have read. This one focuses around being a guide book for housewives and so it has sections that are written to make life easier for housewives and their maids.

There is one section in the book about how to prepare your turtle for cooking which I was a little surprised at because I had no idea that people ever ate turtles. It also was a little bit shocking because it was pretty graphic on the ways of kil
Jane
Dec 04, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
A GEM of a book.
Want to know how to pitchcock an eel? To dismember a heron? Want to keep your arms, iron or steel from rusting? Need a recipe for brick-bat cheese or a quick fix for a barrel of beer that's gone sour? The divine Hannah Glasse has the answers to all this and more. She writes with the authority and style of an 18th century Julia Child - today, she'd surely have her own TV show. This heavenly book has so much to offer! Beauty creams, soaps, perfumes - learn how to make them here. In
Ally
Feb 25, 2016 Ally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, originally published in 1749, is essentially a how-to guide for hired cooks. It discusses such topics as how to select the freshest meats, carving roasts, making ketchup (spelled "catchup") to last a year, and preparing medicinal products and toiletries. All this is fascinating, considering the age of the text. In fact, it is reported on the back of the book that it contains the first published recipe, for a dish of Indian origin, in Britain.

Overall a fascinating read for anyone who
May 22, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
I warmed to this book eventually for the rich and perplexing vocabulary and wide range beyond merely recipes involving a lot of 'good gravy' and a lot of meat (although there are a lot of those...). If you want to know 'How to prevent the Insection in Horned Cattle' it would seem that Hannah Glasse is your woman.
Colin
Oct 28, 2014 Colin rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, england, non-fiction
Glasse is an important figure in English food, and this set of extracts from her 1747 book The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy gives a vivid insight into her approach.

The writing (not in 'the high polite style ... for my intention is to instruct the lower sort') is littered with archaisms, but at heart it's surprisingly clear, precise and concise.
Kathrine
Sep 28, 2015 Kathrine rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
Perhaps I did not really appreciate the writing because it was such a short excerpt. Just wasn't engaged by it.
Qukatheg
Qukatheg rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Nabilah
Nabilah rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2013
Kirsten Elizabeth
Kirsten Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Joy Airaudi
Joy Airaudi rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2013
Will
Will rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Robert Hudder
Robert Hudder rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
D Cerm
D Cerm rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2013
morgaine_cat
morgaine_cat rated it it was ok
May 23, 2016
Jen
Jen added it
May 03, 2011
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2011
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2011
Nita
Nita marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2011
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2012
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2012
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2012
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2012
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 22, 2012
Kirsty Sinclair
Kirsty Sinclair marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2012
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Lanea
Lanea marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
B&h
B&h added it
Dec 13, 2012
Jinny
Jinny marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Cecily
Cecily added it
Jan 11, 2013
Amy Pfleegor
Amy Pfleegor marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
goodreads
goodreads marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Lydia Wong
Lydia Wong marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Kiana
Kiana marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Weronika
Weronika marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Tracy Empson
Tracy Empson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Nine
Nine added it
Jul 13, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Tash
Tash marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014

Penguin Great Food (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Pleasures of the Table