Start by marking “The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)

The New World (Chaos Walking 0.5)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,436 Ratings  ·  739 Reviews
In this dramatic prequel to the award-winning Chaos Walking Trilogy, author Patrick Ness gives us the story of Viola's journey to the New World.
Published November 18th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published September 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The New World, please sign up.

Erin I read the Knife of Never Letting Go first, then The New World, and I think it is meant to read in that order. New World is more meaningful that way.
Rebekah This is the bonus short story that is at the end of the book The Knife of Never Letting Go.

karen
Jun 25, 2015 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
last quickie, i promise...

after this, i will stay for breakfast and all that. meet the folks.

this is a tiny story, filling in the gaps of viola's life before crash-landing in the swamp, meeting todd, and having terrible and wonderful adventures. it's kind of heartbreaking, seeing her here, and knowing what lies ahead for her, you know? it's nice to get a sense of her family dynamic before she is so roughly removed from it, but i can't help myself from wanting a whole lot more from these characte
Kwesi 章英狮
I read the first book of the Chaos Walking series and too bad I did not like it. When I saw the free e-book in Barnes and Noble I did not hesitate to download it because I want to read it again, give it a chance it deserves. So far, I like how Viola Eade survive before their adventure begun. It was a great mystery in the beginning of the book and this answered everything I need to know about Viola.

I did not like Will Todd and how he approach the whole journey, I don't know how he survive by hidi
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Shannon (leaninglights)
What a tear-jerker! Gahhh
Eleni Ouzouni
Oct 16, 2015 Eleni Ouzouni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-novels
Ιnteresting short story about Viola past!
Evie
Feb 11, 2012 Evie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-awesomeness
Set before the events of The Chaos Walking Trilogy, The New World is a fabulous short story that makes for a great introduction to the series. I loved Chaos Walking Trilogy. I don't think I've ever read a better YA trilogy. EVER.

Patrick Ness is a wonderful storyteller. His writing is electrifying and insanely compelling. I recommend this short story, as well as The Chaos Walking Trilogy, to not only every YA fan out there, but to everyone who enjoys great books, filled with well-drawn character
AH
Apr 11, 2011 AH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Science Fiction fans
*wipes tears*

I now have Hope.

What a wonderful start to a series. Young Viola is traveling with her parents to settle a New World. Viola is not happy about her family being chosen to be the first on this world, but she is making do.

I enjoyed how the story flipped back and forth to Viola's life before the voyage and her life on board the ship.

I will definitely be looking at reading this series soon.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This series is so damn sad. The characters can't catch a break anywhere :c
Jan 14, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, short-story
It was so nice to get a glimpse into Viola's life before she met Todd. I presumed she was a nice quiet girl before she met Todd but the short story showed me she was actually quite different. It was a great short story and the writing was brilliant (like it usually is). I would definitely recommend it.
Veronica Morfi
Oct 29, 2011 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was nothing like what I expecting and... I loved it! :)

The story is really great and it made me want to read the next one right away...although I don't own it.

It's the story of how Viola left her home, a space convoy, and head to the new world. With her parents, they are the first to arrive there, but nothing goes as planned!

I'm going to get the next book as soon as I can, I want to know more about this story. Also I loved the authors writing, although it's in present time which I'm never
Robin (Bridge Four)
Viola...what a great peak into your beginning. I love knowing now why you hold hope so dear. Sad but beautiful.

The only thing I would have liked more is if this went up until the time you met Todd. I would have loved to get your first impressions of him.
Chella
Oct 20, 2015 Chella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, scifi
Chaos Walking is easily one of my favorite YA series and I was thrilled to find it continued with The New World. This story takes us back to a time parallel to the start of The Knife of Letting Go, when Viola and her family are just setting off in their scout ship to scope out their new planet. Viola is a talented and intelligent, but she is very obviously displeased at the impending changes in her life. She is both fears and resents it, as life on the ship is all she's ever known.

The imagery he
Lynai
May 21, 2011 Lynai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
The New World is a quick and short read, only 23 pages, and tells about the life of Viola and her parents before they landed in New World. I have only just recently explored the dystopian-fiction genre and so the futuristic theme takes quite a while getting used to, but the simple, engaging prose makes it easier for me to adapt to the “New World scene”.

I have grown to love Viola in The Knife and reading The New World , which is told through Viola’s voice, is very refreshing. The New World b
Nathalia Borghi
Jul 24, 2015 Nathalia Borghi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should've known that a novella by Patrick Ness wouldn't just be a simple introduction to the New World. But I sure as hell wasn't expecting all this. I wasn't expecting the gut wrenching parts when Viola was chosen to be the first new settler. I wasn't expecting so much detail and emotion.
Janie Johnson
Dec 06, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
So my friend Kathryn reminded me of this series that I had actually forgotten about, and now that I got this one free, thanks to Kathryn as well, we decided to test it out and see if we will like the series. And I gotta say this was plenty enough to get me interested in the next installment, The Knife of never letting Go.

So this one is the beginning of all of it, and wow is all I can say. There was excitement from the moment I started reading it. The characters are well defined and real, and sin
Rose
Dramatic prequel to "The Knife of Letting Go" and the collective "Chaos Walking" Trilogy. This was my introduction to Patrick Ness some time ago when I downloaded this for free as an Amazon Kindle purchase. This short story tells of how Viola, one of the main characters in the Trilogy, arrives to the new world for the very first time, and the range of emotions and experiences she goes through during that time. It's quite sad, and I certainly felt for Viola's character even more when reading this ...more
Laura Crosse
This was super, super short and really wasn't anything terribly exciting. Yes it explained a little bit more about Viola and her ship but when I say a little I really mean a little. Other than that there just wasn't a whole lot going on.

We meet Viola on her ship where she lives with other new settlers which include her parents. For some reason she's going through what is basically an adolescent tantrum stage where she hates her parents and the fact that they've been chosen to be on the scout sh
Kandice
This was actually a re-read although I didn't realize it until I was halfway through.

I read it in anticipation of reading The Knife of Never Letting Go with a friend. I don't know how relevant this will be to that story, so think I will hold off on a proper review until I finish that one.
ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯
There was a time I loved YA and would seek it out. I don't anymore, because a lot of it seems to be mirror images of other books I've already read.

I saw this free prequel on Audible and thought I'd give a YA series a go. I love Patrick Ness' writing in A Monster Calls and More Than This is one of my all time favourite books.

NO REGRETS! This prequel was really good. I'm really curious how it will play into the trilogy. Action packed, well developed for being so short and actually quite emotion
Tully Vincent
I haven't read the rest of the series, but picked up this prequel as a free audio. Excellent narration and well-written story with cliffhanger ending. It kept jumping back and forth in time--a device that always annoys me. However, the character was engaging. If I'd read the rest of this series, I have a feeling that I'd have rating this higher.
Erika
Dec 03, 2011 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story is about Viola's trip until she landed on New World.

I didn't think it was going to be like that, it's amazing!
Although i think it would've been better if it was a little bit more extended just to see more of Viola's version of the beginning.

But it was pretty fabulous, to complement the trilogy.
Justin
Dec 13, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really expect much from this after being blown away by The Knife of Never Letting Go, but I really enjoyed gaining insight into Viola's character and more about how she arrived in the New World.

Can't wait to continue the series. Word on the street is it only gets better.
Joyzi
Apr 04, 2011 Joyzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Chaos Walking Trilogy
Recommended to Joyzi by: Rollie
I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, luuuuuuuuvvvvvit!!!!

It's so Sci-fi *dreamy eyes* just pure awesomeness...

It might be a bit weird but I really do love space ships (I'm not kidding) and this reminds me of Gundam Seed. Holy Cheesecakes, I want to read more!
Andrew (BritBookBoy)
Jun 05, 2014 Andrew (BritBookBoy) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Loved it. My only criticism is that I wish it had been a little longer.
Yonaily
Jan 27, 2015 Yonaily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad but beautiful, just like the rest of the trilogy.
Jade at Bedtime Bookworm
This review was originally posted on Bedtime Bookworm ** This is the prequel novella to the Chaos Walking series. I believe this book to contain spoilers for the first book in this series, The Knife of Never Letting Go, and I recommend reading this novella (and this review) AFTER the first book. **

Loved It!

I don't have a whole lot to say about this novella - after all, it's only 25 pages long! This review will be short and sweet, just like this novella. :) This story provides a little more ba
Tina
Oct 03, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Chaos Walking series (duh), and people who are curious about the Chaos Walking series
Recommended to Tina by: Aaron Vincent
Original post at One More Page

When Aaron tweeted about this book novella, I squealed inside the office. No joke. I immediately called my friend Jana from her workstation, who squealed too, and once again with me, when we found out it was free. This book was one of the reasons we disrupted the peace and quiet at the office that Friday afternoon.

It's no secret that I loved Patrick Ness' The Knife of Never Letting Go, and I was really looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy, es
Stacey (prettybooks)
The New World was my final instalment of the Choas Walking trilogy and it has been thoroughly enjoyable and exciting. The New World is an extremely short (it is only 24 pages long) prequel to the trilogy and gives us insight into Viola’s life on the spaceship before she landed on New World; we come full circle. It’s interesting reading it whilst thinking about how Viola - and certain other characters - had no idea what was in store for them. Viola’s first experience of New World was a devastatin ...more
Liana
Dec 13, 2012 Liana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I just die now

When I first opened The Knife of Never Letting Go I didn't know what to expect. When I opened Ask and Answer I was ready for some awesome epicness. When I opened Monsters of Men I expected so much that I was so shocked Patrick Ness managed to exceed my expectations by so, so, much.

Because he's effing amazing.

And when I found out there's a prequel to this gorgeously written story, I just had to read it. And yes, I found this short story online.

It's basically Viola's POV this w
Steph
Jul 21, 2015 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nice to know that Patrick Ness can make me weepy-faced from just reading a novella that is a prequel to a book series I haven't even read yet. After reading A Monster Calls I'm not exactly surprised though.

I'm already in the middle of three books and now I feel like I have to start this series immediately because I need to know what happens to Viola. I knew I was in trouble the moment I started needing to know more of a character's story.

This is a free ebook on Amazon if you're interested
2016 Reading Chal...: The New World by Patrick Ness 1 14 Apr 26, 2015 05:05PM
Are there any other editions of this book? 3 38 Mar 06, 2011 01:41AM
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)
  • In The Land Of The Dead (Rot & Ruin, #1.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Eros, Philia, Agape
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • UnStrung (Unwind, #1.5)
  • Warm Up  (Vicious, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Tortured (Birthmarked, #1.5)
  • Shine Light (Night Creatures, #3)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)

“No one ever seems to wonder what happens if it turns out we hate living on a planet? What if the sky’s too big? What if the air stinks? What if we go hungry?’
‘And what if the air tastes of honey? What if there’s so much food we all get too fat? What if the sky is so beautiful we don’t get any work done because we’re all looking at it too much?”
11 likes