Start by marking “The 100 Best Affordable Vacations” as Want to Read:
The 100 Best Affordable Vacations

The 100 Best Affordable Vacations

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  21 reviews
100 innovative ways to maximize your vacation while minimizing the price tag.
Published April 19th 2011 by The National Geographic Society (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The 100 Best Affordable Vacations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 100 Best Affordable Vacations

Carol
Aug 25, 2011 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travelers one and all
Recommended to Carol by: Neil Hollands
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
I love books like National Geo’s 100 Best Affordable Vacations. They’re great for browsing, for dreaming and for pure delight in anticipation of an adventure. Broken up into four segments, Americana, Into the Wild, Quest for Knowledge, Body & Soul, each provides enough suggestions for even the most traveled of us.

Those I’ve already done provide a bit of nostalgia and reminiscence, others that are on my list make me yearn to get away. Monarch Butterflies in Morelia, Mexico, dig deeper into N
Gwen
Sep 25, 2012 Gwen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gwen by: browsing at the library
Shelves: travel
Decent--but shallow--start point for planning relatively affordable vacations across the United States. Very little detail is given, so for more information, you would have to look at a more specific guidebook.

I'm impressed that the authors are recommending hostels: excellent cheap lodging that usually attracts a fun group of people, but it seems that Americans aren't as pro-hostel as other nations.

Some of the vacations didn't strike me as "affordable" (at least in comparison with the rest of th
Dawn
I really loved this book - not because it plans into minute detail extravagant vacations (it doesn't) - but because it has so many good, quirky, interesting ideas I'd never think of. Each vacation idea is numbered and spans 2-3 pages. I liked that the entries are short and easy to take in - they're full of ideas at a glance, information on contacts and prices (including "splurge" ideas as well as ways to save).

I started paper-clipping vacations I'd like to try, but ran out of paperclips. The loc
Jewell
Good little book for ideas but not so good for real planning. You will still need other books or the internet to plan the details. I'm not sure these trips are what i would consider budget either. There wasn't really enough detail to discern that.
Sherri
Affordable? Nice selection of places to visit and what to do while there, but no real tips for bargains. The idea behind the "affordable" part of the title is that the trips are all in the U. S. so you're not paying for international traval.
Courtney Coover
Fun book to page through! Great for daydreaming & gathering ideas
Jenn
Jan 29, 2012 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: travel
I love planning vacations, even though we rarely take the extravagant trips I propose. I picked up this book because the "affordable" weekend trips it promised made me think I might actually get away more. Unfortunately, so many of the trips were on the east coast that they still were not "affordable", at least from my starting point. I enjoyed reading and continuing to plan anyway.
Judy
While some of these ideas are just barely in the "affordable" category, I found several good ideas and useful information, for example, a link to volunteer as a national park host. The book is published by National Geographic so it is better researched and presented than many of this type. I got it as an e-book from my public library... and I just might have to go buy it.
Jen
Sep 28, 2012 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
The title is a misnomer. These aren't necessarily the most affordable vacations and even has some interesting more expensive ones as ideas. It IS however a book with full of interesting places to visit and see. I marked probably 8 of the ideas that sounded good to me. Good page flipper.
Linda
Lots of good ideas here for vacations. I have actually done a couple of these in the past and the descriptions in the book are accurate so I feel I can trust the information. I read it on Kindle and plan to get a hard copy to keep as a reference for when the wanderlust hits me.
Deborah
Not just for budget travelers. Best used as a reference guide for travel ideas and inspiration. Each of the 100 items covers 2 to 3 pages and most give some alternatives and related ideas. Almost all destinations are in North America with the majority in the US.
Pearl
Bought this at BookSale for ten pesos! :D I'm so happy to have this one so I can improve my knowledge in best tourist spots and different cultures and traditions in North and South America. I hope this will also help in my major subject (Destination Geography). :D
May-Ling
i was pleasantly surprised by how great this book is. the author does an excellent job of coming up with affordable, very unique excursions for vacations. i definitely noted at least 10 different destinations or themed trips that i added to my one day list.
Travis
Fairly good ideas but none that were close enough to home to do soon. Scuba diving and rain forest trekking in Puerto Rico was the most intriguing but still unaffordable on my college student budget.
Anne
A nice travel guide of you want to visit North America. Not all of these places are affordable, though. But all in all, this book is good eye candy for bookshelves!
Kathy
There were some interesting ideas for a good, inexpensive vacation in here. Leave it to National Geographic to bring out the best in travel books!
Beth
In reading this book it is just as fun to see if you have visited the suggested destinations or took part in the suggested activities.
Lisa
Several neat ideas, but not a lot of detail given. Quite a bit of outside research would be needed to make a trip work.
Kristi
So many vacations spots require travelling that they aren't really affordable.
Safia Alam
Safia Alam marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Sun
Sun marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014