Start by marking “The Gravedigger's Ball” as Want to Read:
The Gravedigger's Ball

The Gravedigger's Ball (Mike Coletti #2)

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The next thrilling novel in the all new Colletti series from acclaimed author Solomon Jones

Just weeks after tracking down a killer known as the Angel of Death, Detective Mike Coletti stands at Mary Smithson’s grave, mourning the woman whose betrayal nearly cost him his life. He’s joined there by Mary’s beautiful half-sister, Lenore. Moments later, a gunshot splits the ai
Published October 11th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Gravedigger's Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gravedigger's Ball

La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 22, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Suspense, Mystery
Recommended to La Tonya by: Circle of Friends Book Club
Shelves: good-read
It was a great crime novel with suspense and exciting dialogue. I enjoyed reading the personal and professional relationships the detectives had with each other and the press. It seemed I could visualize myself in each scene of the book. A complete enjoyable book to read and fantasize over, I especially enjoyed the generation gaps in the book and how the author was able to weave those thoughts together.

We are all looking for a higher power. We are no different than the gravedigger. I hope we al
Jewell
May 17, 2012 Jewell rated it liked it
Picked this up on a whim while visiting the local library. Knew the author was a Philadelphia writer and enjoyed identifying the streets and places mentioned in another book I read by him quite a few years back. From that perspective I too enjoyed this story, especially since the main location is based on a historical cemetery here In Philadelphia that I frequently visit. As with the other book that I read I really felt like I was there; being a Philadelphian, I know where many of the streets an ...more
Patti Meyer
Dec 20, 2011 Patti Meyer rated it liked it
This is a fast moving mystery that will capture the interest of any mystery lover and especially people who have an interest or knowledge of the history of Edgar Allen Poe and his works. I enjoyed the interaction and depth of the characters. This is an unusual storyline and is best read by folks who have open minds for some things that are not necessarily 'realistic.'

Humorous content: He grinned with appreciation as she bent slightly.
She came back to the counter with a fluid walk and an alluri
Stephanie Stevenson-covington
This was a long decent read. You really have to pay attention though. I love poetry and I remember the Raven by Edgar Allan Poe, but the reference to it in this plot just didn't do it for me. The author did fabulous at descibing Philly, particularly Germantown. I have a few more Solomon Jones books, but I'm only going to read when I need a break from my other readings. For me there just wasn't enough excitement and gore.
Denise Dougherty
With the exception of the weird ending, I did enjoy this book. Solomon Jones fills his stories with familiar sights and scenes from around my home town, Philadelphia. This book featured (probably) Laurel Hill Cemetary, The Poe House and many other familiar locations. His regular characters, too, seem familiar and likable.

That's 2 down, 1 Colleti story to go and then I'm up-to-date. Write faster, Mr. Jones.

DD@Phila
John R. Hoffman
Nov 24, 2012 John R. Hoffman rated it it was amazing

"The Gravedigger's Ball" is a sequel to "The Last Confession." While the book can be read on it's own, it contains spoilers that will ruin the suspense of the Last Confession. Set a few weeks after the conclusion of the Last Confession, Coletti and Mann are back and the bodies are piling up quickly. Once again the killer has taken a personal interest in Coletti. The ending is startling but consistent with the direction of the rest of the novel. While the story starts as a somewhat traditional c
Michelle Wallace
Jan 01, 2015 Michelle Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solomon Jones does an excellent job of spinning a captivating story and quickly drawing the reader into the lives of the characters. This is the Coletti series but you get wrapped up in the lives of the other players as well, including Sandy Jackson and Charlie Mann, who in my mind looks like Dr. Carl Hart.
Marla Madison
Not sure why I even finished reading this book.

For one thing, the story line is closely tied
to an earlier book, which makes it difficult for someone who hasn't read the entire series.

The premise seemed interesting at first, with murders in a cemetery, and followers of a cult-like
group of devotees to Edgar Allen Poe, complete with an evil raven!
The search for the killer kept me involved, but the ending turned into a rather bizarre paranormal
event that for me, was so incredible that it threw me r
Mrs. S.
Jan 24, 2016 Mrs. S. rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Too unrealistic. Climax, falling action, and conclusion all happened in the last chapter--too fast.
Andrea Smith
Jul 19, 2012 Andrea Smith rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Jones and read the first in this series. Once I started it was an easy, interesting read that I enjoyed up to the final scene. I didn't see that coming, which is ok, but I thought it was a strange departure. It left me scratching my head and wanting to ask a few questions. I'm curious to see if this is new territory or if he's just dabbling with the paranormal.
Diane S ☔
Dec 11, 2011 Diane S ☔ rated it liked it
Started out as a quick light read, a mystery without a lot of gore (highly unusual) and it had the added hook of being centered on part of the life of Edgar Allen Poe and the Raven. Than came the ending, which I felt was not only rushed but ludicrous as well. Well I enjoyed most of it, but couldn't overcome that ending.
Adam
Mar 26, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
What an excellent book! I loved it! Suspense, intrigue, this book has it all! I enjoyed how the book kept building toward the climatic end, as this genre of books does! I also thought the setting for this story was perfect. Who doesn't love a good cemetary suspense novel???
Angela
Apr 22, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
I loved it. The story moved quickly. I didn't read the first if the series so the references to it were lost on me. I loved Colletti. He is the embodiment if the seasoned detective. I am going to get the others in the series to catch up.
Monica
Jan 20, 2012 Monica added it
Page Three

"As he drew nearer the grave, the dead leaves in the cemetery crunched beneath his feet. He smiled at the way they crackled and split. The sound reminded him of his heart."

oboy. ouch. say no more.

read no further.
Debra
Dec 16, 2011 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
After I downloaded the audiobook on the Library's website it says if you like this book you may also like:
"Welfare Wifey"
"Pimp"
"Justify my Thug"
So I'm a little worried about really having any interest in this book.
So we'll see...
Elyn
Aug 22, 2012 Elyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
it was too reliant on the first book in the series. It had an interesting hook/premise with the whole E.A. Poe tie in but it never made me care about what happened and had a contrived ending
Debra Odom
Feb 10, 2013 Debra Odom rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. In the beginning I thought that this book was a murder/mystery. It turns out that this was part paranormal also. This was really a surprise ending.
Kim
Sep 18, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
This was a very good part to after reading The Last Confession. This one as well had me tripping on the ending. Another one where I would have never guessed the ending.
Dan Fleischaker
Jul 18, 2012 Dan Fleischaker rated it did not like it
Couldn't get past the first chapter. Too full of cliches, and poor writing overall. Heard an interview with the author, but this really disappointed me.
Andrea
Jul 10, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
Interesting whodunit with an Edgar Allen Poe theme. Whacky supernatural ending that I didn't see coming. Not sure if I bought it, but a good quick read.
Jeanice
Aug 21, 2012 Jeanice rated it liked it
I loved the first 270 pages. Exciting, intense, suspenseful. The end, however, was quite a disappointment. Hate books like that.
Hrn1947
Dec 15, 2011 Hrn1947 rated it it was ok
the sequel to the last confession. Another who dunnit with supernatural leanings. read it if there's nothing else.
Veronica Hernandez
Jul 22, 2014 Veronica Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Solomon Jones writes a fast pace thriller. A great ride through the streets of Philadelphia.
Andy
Jul 30, 2012 Andy rated it liked it
Super idiotic to pull in the supernatural like this. Felt ripped off all in all.
Ashleigh Chroninger
Aug 07, 2015 Ashleigh Chroninger rated it it was ok
The ending was extremely unsatisfying. Otherwise it was pretty decent.
Carmen Glenn
Mar 28, 2013 Carmen Glenn rated it it was amazing
This book read like an old black and white detective movie. Loved it!
Mar 03, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
The book was good .. Until the end(it was a let down).
Tim
Feb 07, 2013 Tim rated it did not like it
I found this story uninspired. 2 of 10 stars
Terrie
Nov 03, 2012 Terrie rated it it was ok
Disjointed plot; amateurish writing;
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Solomon Jones is an Essence bestselling author whose novels include The Gravedigger’s Ball, The Last Confession, Payback, Cream, Ride Or Die, The Bridge, and Pipe Dream. He has appeared on NPR and CNN Headline News, and is a contributor to short story collections including Philadelphia Noir and Liar Liar. Formerly a professor of creative writing at Temple University, Jones is an award-winning colu ...more
More about Solomon Jones...

Mike Coletti (3 books)