Start by marking “Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #3)

Blood of Elves (Saga o Wiedźminie #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  26,205 Ratings  ·  981 Reviews
For more than a hundred years humans, dwarves, gnomes and elves lived together in relative peace. But times have changed, the uneasy peace is over and now the races once again fight each other - and themselves: Dwarves are killing their kinsmen, and elves are murdering humans and elves, at least those elves who are friendly to humans... Into this tumultuous time is born a ...more
Published October 16th 2008 by Gollancz (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Elves, please sign up.

Andrew Sandberg If you still haven't gotten an answer yet, it goes
The Last Wish (ironically)
The Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Times of Contempt
Baptism by Fire
…more
If you still haven't gotten an answer yet, it goes
The Last Wish (ironically)
The Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Times of Contempt
Baptism by Fire
The Tower of Swallows
The Lady of the Lake(less)
Μιχάλης The games are a loose sequel to the books, meaning that they come after the seventh novel and borrow on a lot of events from the books (from instance,…moreThe games are a loose sequel to the books, meaning that they come after the seventh novel and borrow on a lot of events from the books (from instance, the Strigga storyline from the Last Wish comes up in The Witcher Game) but, at the same time, they are not a strict sequel as some secondary characters are reinterpreted(is The Professor)

At the same time, the characterisation of the characters is non-consistent, having even the main character being much different in books and in the game.(less)

Evgeny
Oct 09, 2016 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book signifies a sharp departure from the previous two. The first and second ones were collections of short stories mostly told from Geralt the Witcher POV. This time this is a full-length novel with multiple POVs. Actually we only see Geralt's POV in just one chapter - and a shortish one too. In my opinion the book still shows its origins in short story format as the transitions between the chapters are mostly not continuous. Instead they start with a jump in time to give a flashback to co ...more
Celise
For anyone who's played The Witcher games, or anyone who has not but is interested in dark fantasy, I encourage you to consider reading The Last Wish, which is the first of The Witcher books, an anthology of short stories. Read it before this, and Sword of Destiny too. They're good, and you'll thank yourself for it later when you're not trying to decipher the backstory behind this one. The Blood of Elves is the first full-length novel in the series, and I was not disappointed. It's even made it ...more
Logan
Feb 18, 2009 Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it like I knew I would. It was well worth the wait, and I can not wait until the next installment. For some reason, my wife and I were possessed by the title and now run around the house doing some ridiculous call and response thing-
Me(from downstairs, yelling black metal voice): "BLOOD OF ELVES"
Her (from upstairs, shrieking black metal voice): "BLLLLLLLLLLOOOOD OF EELLLVVVVEEES"

There are worse reactions a book can inspire.
Jo Woolfardis
Considering how well-written and quick-paced the short story prequel collection The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski was, this was ridiculously disappointing and underwhelming. We have the same characters as was to be found in The Last Wish, and we had their personalities expanded and explored further, but we had none of the excitement or fantasy that was found there.

Blood of Elves is very slow and very closed-off. We spend far too much time in one place alone, and we follow conversations at a sna
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/07/01/a...

I remember being thrilled when I discovered that The Witcher saga by Andrzej Sapkowski was available in audio format. As a big fan of the video games which were adapted from this series, I was of course interested in reading the books, but as waiting for the English translation from its original Polish already required a bit of patience, I never really dared hope that the audiobooks would be coming too.

As of this writing t
Mike (the Paladin)
I "feel" (note the use of the word "feel" rather than "think") I should (have) like(ed) this book better. The plot sounds very interesting. The girl Ciri, child of promise and prophecy (yes a common motif in fantasy and folklore) who was promised to the Witcher before she was born. (Evil faeries and so on used to claim that promise). The story of her "education", training, change and all the people around who want to protect or use her.

But I just found the book a sort of yawner. It opens with a
Abigail
Oct 09, 2011 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I jumped right into this after reading "The Last Wish" expecting something similar in terms of pacing and structure. Instead this picked up a dangling thread from one of the short stories in the previous book and wove an epic fantasy.

I did feel that I needed a map to keep all of the little countries and their relations to each other, and maybe even a diagram with all the rulers and their relations to each other, but the important ones were easy enough to follow.

To me it felt like Ciri was real
Kat  Hooper
Sep 24, 2016 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
José
Mar 04, 2017 José rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mucho mejor que los dos anteriores.

La historia es narrada desde diferentes puntos de vista, con capítulos que siguen a Jaskier, Yennefer, Geralt y Ciri; también comienza a quedar más claro cómo funciona la magia y otros aspectos relacionados con los brujos.

A pesar de que está muy bueno, se lee rápido y no le falta momentos cargados de acción y humor, considero que este libro sirve de "puente" entre los relatos de los primeros libros y el resto de la saga.

La estoy pasando bárbaro con esta saga
Marta Conejo
Mar 04, 2015 Marta Conejo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La saga de Geralt comienza a ser una historia en lugar de pequeñas historias cortas. Esta novela te deja conocer más a los personajes. A Geralt, quién tiene que cambiar sus pensamientos sobre el destino; a Yennefer y a Ciri, dos personas que tienen más unión de la que parece... todo ello en un contexto bien labrado y con una historia que consigue engancharte y ver sus uniones con los personajes...

A por el siguiente!
Aly's Bookish Wonderland

I absolutely adored (of course I did, it's the Witcher, damnit) Blood of Elves and the only reason I'm giving it 3.5 stars and not 4 is because of the huge chunk of story that is pretty much just kings and queens sitting around, contemplating the end of the world as they know it as they drink and warm themselves by the fire. That bit bored me to tears and I skimmed mercilessly, knowing I'd probably find out a better, more easily readable version at some point later on in the story.

Blood
Zayne
Feb 07, 2016 Zayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty chill book. It wasn't at all what I expected for a Witcher sequel. When I look back at the plot of the story, there wasn't much that happens in the entire book. There were a few important plot points, but the rest was a lot of kings talking politics and Yennefer teaching Ciri about magic. And there was almost no Geralt in here. The book mainly focused on Ciri. There were a couple scenes where Geralt was the main pov but that was it. Geralt was moved to being more a support char ...more
Joseph
Jul 30, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of an odd duck, this one -- definitely the middle part of something, so I really, really hope they translate & publish additional volumes in the series. Geralt (the Witcher proper) also has much less of a role in it than one might otherwise expect. Having said that, as with the previous book, I enjoyed the Eastern European feel and the sometimes grim tone enough to overlook the structural flaws. (And I think I might cut translated books more slack because I assume the problem is with t ...more
Kenchiin
Jan 16, 2017 Kenchiin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A transition book, but a good build up and overall idea of what's to come.
And I think I love Ciri.

Edit 1
And Yennefer

Edit 2
And Geralt
C.T. Phipps
Jun 20, 2015 C.T. Phipps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grimdark, fantasy
Blood of Elves is the first full-length novel of the Witcher franchise. Strangely, it was translated into English as the second novel despite the second anthology, Sword of Destiny, having a huge role in setting up this novel's events. How huge? Well, about sixty-percent of the story deals with the aftermath of the Nilfgaard invasion of the North. The Nilfgaard invasion of the North happens in Sword of Destiny. The rest of the novel deals with Geralt's adoption of Ciri, which is kind of importa ...more
Wendy
I could have played a drinking game based on how many times the phrase "blood of elves" came up in the first chapter of the book. Not that I'm complaining. In fact, a good few drinks would have added to the fun I had listening to this audiobook.

This is listed as the third book in the Witcher series, with two short story collections coming before it, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. It's not necessary to read either of these to appreciate Blood of Elves, but it's definitely to your advantage.
❅ Eze ❅
Feb 15, 2015 ❅ Eze ❅ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creo que la descripcion mas acertada y generalizada que puedo dar sobre este libro es que es una mezcla de Tolkien y Martin. No tiene las epicas batallas entre ejercitos, ni tantas conspiraciones politicas. Pero tiene una historia original que atrapa al lector, conversaciones memorables, personajes muy bien logrados, peleas excitantes, momentos emotivos; todo esto en el marco de la fantasia para un publico adulto.
Me gusta hablar sobre lo bueno y lo malo en mis reviews, pero lo unico que puede ll
Mizuki
Jan 23, 2015 Mizuki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much happens in this book, it feels very much like a transition book to me, but I still like it. I like the social and political textures of the story, I like the main characters (the child Ciri is much better than her teenage self, mind you), I like how the different groups of wizards, witches, faes, goblins and politicians are introduced to us. I like the tolerance message behind the story. However, I still wish there are more things to happen in the book.
Бранимир Събев
3,5/5. Не е така добра като предишните - много приказки, много дрънкане, много интриги, врътки, чупки, много обучения, учене и трениране, малко битки.
мεgяεร.
Aug 14, 2015 мεgяεร. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vladimir Vázquez
Oct 10, 2011 Vladimir Vázquez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vladimir by: Guillermo Moreno
La sangre de los elfos de Andrzej Sapkowski nos muestra un estilo muy distinto al que nos tenía acostumbrados en los libros anteriores, si bien los capítulos continúan siendo un tanto episódicos, la verdad es que la prosa de Sapkowski ha cambiado totalmente en este libro, saltos en el tiempo, diferentes grupos de personaje en un solo capítulo, historias pequeñas que se enhebran en historias mayores, etc.

Curiosamente me da la impresión que en este libro es donde Geralt de Rivia "El Brujo" apare
Joy
Jul 08, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, magic, those who want something refreshing
Recommended to Joy by: Toshi-kun
This was a rather laid back novel full of trouble brewing, wars in the making, and the introduction of Ciri, the Child Surprise, Geralt's and the other witchers' destiny.

For those who haven't read the prequel:

In "The Last Wish", there's a story where Geralt was invitied to an event by Queen Calanthe, the Lioness of Cintra and he was asked to disguise himself. The cunning witcher knew at once there's something afoot until there's a commotion, a knight who refuses to reveal his face, (turns out it
Knjigoholičarka
Šta sve donosi epska fantastika? Vilenjake, patuljke, magiju, seksi čarobnice. Koje sve motive možete očekivati od epske fantastike? Pa, zasigurno neko Proročanstvo, pojavljivanje Odabranog, najmanje jednog super frajera mračne prošlosti i slomljenog srca, koji se pretvara da to je isto srce odavno skamenjeno.

I dete.

Slatko, pametno, šarmantno do bola dete, koje, samo kako to deca umeju i znaju, svojom prostodušnošću, brbljavošću, radoznalošću i hrabrošću, leči to srce pretvoreno u kamen.

Suma su
Isaac Clarke
Jul 13, 2016 Isaac Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
პირველად 2009 წელს წავიკითხე, ჩემი Nokia E71 -ის პატარა ეკრანზე. მახსოვს .jar ფაილი ძლივს ვიშოვე რომ ჩემს ტელეფონს გაეხსნა. 2 კვირა ვკითხულობდი ჩემი რუსულის და ეკრანის ზომის გადამკიდე

იმის მერე 7 წელი გავიდა და ყოველ წაკითხვაზე ერთი და იგივე ემოცია მეუფლება, ამაღლებულის, საოცარის და უძიროს განცდის ემოცია. ამ სერიის არცერთ სხვა წიგნზე მსგავსი რამე არ მჭირს, ალბათ ამიტომაცაა ყველაზე გამორჩეული და სასიამოვნო "ელფების სისხლი"

პ.ს. თარგმანი 5/5, ძალიან სასიამოვნოდ იკითხება

პ.პ.ს. იმედია ოდესმე პოლონურს
Brie
Mar 04, 2017 Brie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was surprisingly less about Geralt and more about Ciri – not that I mind. The plot is definitely in no rush, and much of the book is either military planning or following Ciri as she learns to be a witcher and then a magician. Hand in hand with the plot, the reader gets a lot of worldbuilding – mostly in the dialogue between characters. This book (the start of the novels) has opened up the world so much more than the short stories did. Most of the short stories followed Geralt as he ro ...more
Niles
Jul 08, 2016 Niles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Blood of Elves" is set in the fantasy world popularized by the Witcher video game series. Unlike many of it's counterparts, the books preceded the video games, thus this series gives a deeper perspective and understanding to the world portrayed in the games.I have enjoyed playing the video games spawned by these books, and was hopeful the books would be even better. To say I was completely underwhelmed would be a massive understatement. Perhaps my expectations were set too high to ever be compl ...more
He110Ne0
This book marks the first of the "Witcher series" whereas The Last Wish serves more as a series of short stories introducing various characters, situations, themes, etc. Chronologically it takes place after The Last Wish, however, so reading the books in that order is helpful for back story.

This story is the setup for what will clearly be a bloody war ahead. Geralt of Rivia - supernaturally gifted monster killer who is known for his ability to stay neutral - is about to get pushed off the fence
Sonia
Feb 01, 2016 Sonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
En este tercer libro, la saga de Geralt de Rivia cambia completamente.
Ahora ya no se trata de episodios más o menos inconexos con un débil hilo principal, sino de una auténtica novela lineal centrada en el personaje de Ciri a la que descubriremos como gran motor del desarrollo de la serie. Por otro lado, el libro no tiene final, se queda en un impasse que nos obliga a leer el siguiente a la espera de que allí la narración avance o la acción se resuelva.
A pesar de este nuevo modo de construcción,
Cris
Jan 10, 2017 Cris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En esta nueva entrega de la serie de Geralt de Rivia nos encontramos con un formato distinto. Ya no leemos una serie de relatos con una relación de tiempos y espacios más o menos aleatoria sino que la historia se desarrolla de manera prácticamente lineal y con un hilo conductor mucho más marcado. Sin embargo, no es una diferencia radical: los numerosos cambios de perspectiva y localización suavizan la transición entre los dos estilos.

Nos acercamos a ciertos personajes que hasta ahora habían perm
Alain
May 01, 2016 Alain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5

No me cansa la prosa de Sapkowski, creo que es la primera vez que he sido capaz de leer tantos libros seguidos de la misma saga sin que se me haga pesado.

Los dos primeros libros de la saga son un conjunto de relatos que muestran algunos de los episodios más importantes de la vida de Geralt de Rivia, como por ejemplo sus andanzas con el poeta Jaskier o cómo conoce a Ciri y Yennefer. Pese a lo que parecía en las dos primeras obras de la saga, tras leer este tercer volumen no está tan claro q
Nisa's Book Club: Book Club #6 - Witcher Blood of Elves 1 6 Feb 23, 2017 03:33PM
Dragons & Jetpacks: Blood of Elves/Overall Discussion/***SPOILERS*** 15 37 Aug 11, 2016 05:16AM
Dragons & Jetpacks: New Mod Special - Blood of Elves 25 61 Jul 03, 2016 08:14AM
Goodreads Librari...: Title issue 2 45 Oct 28, 2014 01:37PM
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 2
  • Młot na czarownice (Mordimer Madderdin, #2)
  • Achaja. Tom II (Achaja, #2)
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Czarownik Iwanow (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #2)
  • Limes inferior
  • Tkacz iluzji (Kroniki Drugiego Kręgu, #1)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski...

Saga o Wiedźminie (7 books)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)

“To be neutral does not mean to be indifferent or insensitive. You don't have to kill your feelings. It's enough to kill hatred within yourself.” 68 likes
“Lepiej zaliczać się do niektórych niż do wszystkich.” 41 likes