The Big Switch (The War That Came Early, #3)

The Big Switch (The War That Came Early #3)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 25th 2011 by Tantor Media (first published July 19th 2011)

Marrissa
Jun 30, 2011 Marrissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
As of June 30th I haven't received this book from the Goodreads giveaway. :(
Maddi Sojourner
This is book 3 in Harry Turtledove's War War II series "The War That Came Early." Turtledove has "redone" War War II several times, which is probably why I feel he's phoning these in. Too many of the scenes seem like I've read them before. And I probably have, as I've read pretty much everything Turtledove has published. His earlier takes on WWII include the Worldwar Series, a retelling with an alien invasion that leads to cooperation among what were enemies in our timeline; the Darkness Series,...more
Dave
Tried out a new genre and decided I didn't care for it. I've always liked historical fiction, especially stuff set during WWII, but this one didn't do anything for me. I'm not going to give it a star rating because it seems a little unfair since I seem to find this genre [alternative history fiction] unappealing.

The story of the war is told from the point of view of a number of different characters on all sides. Unfortunately, these characters all felt pretty flat and one dimensional to me. No o...more
Mark
Blew through this one pretty fast, which is none too surprising considering the prose is not challenging. As well, as I mentioned in the review of the previous volume, it's not so much the little stories for which you'd read these books, it's more what they reveal about the big world plot.

One thing I have noticed is that these books seem to be each following roughly one calendar year of time apiece, rather than following a certain arc of the alternate WWII.

In this third volume, we depart from re...more
Stein
I was going to give up on this series (see my reviews for the first two books) but, if being a completist at heart I hate to stop in the middle. At least this book is marginally better than the others in that there are major alternate historical events occurring to create more interest. The first one hundred fifty pages continue in much the same tedium that readers had to endure in the first two books: battlefield personnel banter, swearing and stereotypical name-calling. Then, thankfully, event...more
Aaron

This is the third installment in one of Turtledove's more recent series: The War That Came Early. The concept behind the series is a proposal to look at what might have happened if the Nazis, under the leadership of Adolf Hitler, had started their aggressive invasions in 1936 rather than 1939. The series is expected to have five volumes.

For a great deal of time, not a lot has been all that different. Germany has settled into a draw in France on the Western Front and in Poland on the East, but th...more
Jeff
Jan 13, 2013 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tom
Recommended to Jeff by: Found it on the library shelves
Third in the War That Came Early Series, Turtledove sticks to his tried and true formula of short vignettes of common people (military and civilian alike) dealing with the unfolding history all around them Through these numerous vignettes, the reader slowly gets the bigger picture of what is going on...almost at the same pace as the characters themselves. Turtledove's vast - and at the same time intimate - knowledge of the technology, the societies, the cultures, and the politics of this time pe...more
Liviu
The series that started in Hitler's War chugs along slowly and somewhat repetitively here, though things happen of course and history moves even farther away from our timeline (one hint: Winston Churchill never gets to be PM when Chamberlain's cancer takes him down in 1940)

The main problem with the book is that the format that worked very well in the first volume and reasonably well in the second (multiple pov's from front line grunts - low ranking officers or just regular soldiers - in all thea...more
Alexander Seifert
While the whole Southern Victory series was broken up into various sub-series, the War that Came Early was all one long chain of books.

At this stage I was getting pretty apathetic, but I must admit that I thought the (somewhat unbelievable) 'big switch' was entertaining, along with the 'real' history Turtledove manipulated to serve his needs.
Greg
The series continues, with some new view points (and some are no more...).

I have to wonder, would governments be so stupid? Then I have to wonder at myself. Of course, governments could be so stupid! If history can teach us one thing, it's that governments can be anything, from ultimately inspiring to extremely evil, with lots of stupid and short sighted all mixed in.

But then again, governments govern at the will and whim of the people, as long as the people understand that. They are a reflecti...more
Jessie
Friday September 9, 2011 - Just call me "Squeeky Wheel". I recieved the book today via FedEx.

Wednesday September 7, 2011 - I have not recieved either a response from the publisher who sponsored the giveaway or a copy of the book.

August 17, 2011 - Email to Del Rey / Spectra Books
Subject: Did Not Recieve Book
I won a copy of The War That Came Early: The Big Switch
by Harry Turtledove. As of August 17, 2011 I have not received a copy. My Address is listed below.

As of Saturday July 16, 2011 I have no...more
John
2nd Entry in the "War That Came Early" series which envisions WW2 starting in 1938 over Czechoslovakia. The added twist is that full scale war had also broken out between the Soviet Union and Japan, putting *both* Germany and Japan in a two-front war. The different setup has been and is interesting, but the "Big Switch" alluded to in the title just seems completely unrealistic to me. It's rather hard to explain without giving it away, and I know the whole point is that we're dealing with an alte...more
Leons1701
Less dragging and repetitive than the previous entries in the series, so that's good. Sadly, the main plot point is absurdly unbelievable. France and England accepting a cease-fire or even a full peace treaty I could accept, actually switching sides to join Germany in a crusade against the Soviets? No way, especially not when they were winning, pushing the Germans back out of France. It's rather rare for nations to switch sides in a war and almost every case that comes to mind in involves a stat...more
Edward Fowler
I love Turtledove's alternate history. In this episode of "The War That Came Early" the European Allies (sans USA, since the war was early and Japan hasn't initiated hostilities) team up with Nazi Germany to take on the Russians.
AmblingBooks
In this extraordinary World War II alternate history, master storyteller Harry Turtledove begins with a big switch: what if Neville Chamberlain, instead of appeasing Hitler, had stood up to him in 1938? Enraged, Hitler reacts by lashing out at the West, promising his soldiers that they will reach Paris by the new year. They don't. Three years later, his genocidal apparatus not fully in place, Hitler has barely survived a coup, while Jews cling to survival. But England and France wonder whether t...more
David
Turtledove's new alt history of WWII takes an interesting turn. I had read the first 2 books several years and just re-read them, so I was really looking forward to this book. I was definitely disappointed with this book. He has Winston Churchill assassinated and suddenly in the "Big Switch," France and Great Britain join Germany against the USSR. He shows the troops not being happy with this, but fails to explain why the politicians think this is a good idea. In the book, Germany agrees to give...more
Somewhatbent
The War That Came Early: West and East[return]Harry Turtledove[return]Del Rey (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages[return][return][return]This volume is a bit slower to engage than the first volume of this trilogy, Hitler's War (and I confess I missed the intermediate book entirely - which may or may not affect the overall review). The book stands on it's own well enough, but does take a while to engage the whole cast of characters as we meet them in short vignettes. Once we know who the pla...more
Leo
Well written but the author is milking this alternate history of WWII. There are at least two more volumes in this series; one currently out, another due this summer. If this could only be edited into a three or four volumes at most. Right now everything moves at a glacial pace; we don't see the machinations of Hitler, Stalin, Tojo, FDR. Once again, as the story is being told by the grunts on the ground, major events occur off-stage. If you liked the previous volumes in the series, it's more of...more
Sean You
The sequel to East and West; less repetitive than the previous novel, though Turtledove's story telling does not really improve significantly. Again, the major problem with this novel, is the lack of empathy felt towards many characters. They are not fleshed out enough or given a significant backstory for the readers to feel much emotions at their deaths. The characters are too generic, eg German Tanker, US Pacific marine, etc. However, that said, the premise of the novel (without giving too muc...more
Gavin Baker
A very interesting book. Turtledove has imagined a world where WW2 started in 1938 and over Czechoslovakia. I havent read the previous books as I saw this in a library wanted to know more of this book.

From the viewpoint of at around 10 people it was like reading a series of novels, and I found it interesting when some characters would meet others, or historical figures were included.

I would like to read the earlier and later books in this series as this alternate history pulls out suprises from...more
Melinda Seyler
Tedious. That's really all I have to say. I love books about WWII. I love historical fiction and alternative histories, but I just could not get into this and finally gave up. There were thousands of characters- or well, not really; it just felt like it. The characters were so flat and one dimensional: American socialite, German sniper, Japanese army, etc. and they all seemed to be drawn as stereotypes. I had a hard time keeping track of them all and ultimately, did not care if I kept track.
Robert Dunlap
There are some authors with whom you cannot go wrong. Harry Turtledove is one of them. This gets a three only because it's not his best. Likable? Absolutely. Juvenile? Perhaps at times. Alternate History will always be tricky because people vary in their ability and desire to suspend disbelief. Time machines in The Guns of The South? Bring it on. Churchill assassinated? Er...

This one deserves to be part of a series and let me restate that it's a good book.
David R.
The third in Turtledove's series about a WW2 that started early (i.e. with an invasion of Czechslovakia instead of Poland). It's pretty typical Turtledove: lots of rapidly changing character vignettes. The major plot twist is interesting: Hess convinces the British High Command (with Churchill safely assassinated) to throw in with the Nazis against the Soviet Union. The only downside is that the many subplots get very repetitive with little advancement.
Rob Roy
This is the third in Turtledove’s series on what would have happened had World War II started a year earlier. The events of the first two were predictable, but in The Big Switch, history is radically altered. I will let the reader discover the twist. As always, characterization highlights Turtledove’s prose. These characters become people you care about regardless of side. If you love history, and reading, I recommend Turtledove.
Geoff
Very disappointed. Turtledove develops some of the characters well, others are mere commentators for the ideas - none become a real protagonist and none really inspire true feeling. Admittedly an ambitious try, but this started with a fizzle and ended with a whimper. To my mind Len Deighton SS-GB is still the pinnacle of this alternate WWII history, this book is not even a pale reflection of that talent.
Brentman99
Nov 25, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like alternative history
This book was particularly well done because it introduced such a wild element compared to what actually happened in history. I say wild, but still remotely plausible. I loved the entire series and this book was no exception. I love the Czech sniper who seems to make history all on his own, one bullet at a time.
Cindy
This is beginning to get a bit long and a bit over the top. I could not believe that France and Britain would side with Hitler against Stalin - after fighting with them for a while.

After I got over that, the story is still interesting but a bit repetitive.
Ron
Harry Turtledove continues playing out the scenario he started in Hitler's War. As he continues the series, Turtledove fleshes out the characters and makes the series less a scenario knock-off and more enjoyable. This an enjoyable addition to his work.
Bjoern
An excellent continuation to the storyline with some major twists and a little bit of long overdue "cleaning up". Maybe there are still one or two POV characters too many to really flow, but the narrative is not truely inhibited by this one small flaw.
Jeff Granger
There were no big cliffhangers at the end, which was a little disappointing. The book just kind of ended, as though he decided that the book was long enough. Still, it was a good read, and I am looking forward to the next book.
  • Himmler's War
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • Resurrection Day
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • 1945
  • Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes, #2)
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
  • Hitler Victorious: Eleven Stories of the German Victory in World War II
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce...more
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)