Start by marking “Sugar Rush (Cupcake Club #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Rush (Cupcake Club #1)

Sugar Rush (Cupcake Club #1)

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  2,014 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
Devil's Food...Angel Cake...Red Velvet...Praline Crunch...Lemon Chiffon...
How's a woman to choose?
Luckily, the members of the Cupcake Club are about to taste it all...

When baker extraordinaire Leilani Trusdale left the bustle of New York City for Georgia's sleepy Sugarberry Island, she didn't expect her past to follow. Yet suddenly, her former boss, Baxter Dunne, aka Chef

Published January 2012 by Brava (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Rush

Lisa Kay
[image error]
[image error][image error][image error][image error]

If you want dialogue, this is the book for you. Good dialogue? Sometimes. Sometimes very good dialogue. Sometimes just a rehash of what we already know. I also felt that Leilani was originally this really nice person who had to get a little ‘bitchy’ to get the sexual tension percolating with Baxter. That just didn’t work for me.

However, if you are one of those people who wish the couple would just talk to one another, this is the
Ana
I apologize in advance for the large number of pictures featuring cupcakes - I simply couldn't resist. And be prepared for the urge to hunt down and eat a massive number of them. :D

When Leilani Trusdale left New York and her rising career as a pastry chef to open a cupcake shop in a small town of Sugarberry, most people didn't understand her decision. But she knew something had to give. It's not that she was unhappy with her life, more like she wasn't happy with it. All the backstabbing in the r
Regina
Jul 07, 2012 Regina rated it it was ok
Shelves: ugh
I enjoyed several of Kauffman's other books (notably the "Glass Slipper, Inc" series). They were light, but I could identify with the characters and they were fun reads. This book just seemed to drag on forever... I actually listened to it, rather than reading it-- which meant that I couldn't "skim". It was excruciating! I got so tired of the main female character's angst, hand-wringing, and indecision. There was lots of "wrestling" going on, but most of it was metaphorical and not particularly ...more
Kim Smiley
Mar 30, 2012 Kim Smiley rated it it was ok
Finally! I'm so happy to be done with this book! It took me a week to read due to the big pages and small text and the fact that the first 200 or so pages were so boring it was a book I could only take in small portions.

Lani is a pastry chef and a good one. She quit her job at a high profile restaurant in New York to move to Sugarberry Island, where her Dad is sherriff and her family came from. She opens up a cupcakery and is enjoying it. That is, until Baxter Dunne decides to follow her there.
Jen
Jan 17, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, adult, fiction, kindle
(Will insert book talk later...)

I was rather disappointed with this one. Though I liked all the characters, it just seemed like all the conversations the hero and heroine had were the same:

Her: "I know you don't understand why I want to live in this tiny town and make cupcakes"
Him: "No I don't - you're destined for better things."
Her: "Let me explain why I love it so much for a long time"
Him: "Ok, wow, I respect your decision, though I don't understand it."

It just felt a little same-y after a w
Megan
Feb 01, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a guilty pleasure fan of girly contemporary romances. I swear by anything Sophie Kinsella/Madeline Wickham-related, and Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner, and Helen Fielding all have a fan in me. When offered the chance to read and review the first two books in the new Cupcake Club series from Donna Kauffman, I leaped at the chance. So yes, this is going to be a double review of SUGAR RUSH and SWEET STUFF, books one and two in the series from Kensington.

Book one, SU
Jessica
Jan 09, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I like variety when reading and the first reads of 2012 are a perfect example of that. A supernatural werewolf mystery, bizarro and a romantic bit of chic lit. Chic lit being one I'd say I read the least but I won this book on twitter from the publisher and was dying for a different kind of book and this was sitting on my shelves so I rebelled and read it. See I'm a bad ass. Yep that much of one.

Sugar Rush was sweet. No pun intended, though it's hard to escape the sweet food references when it's
Romancing the Book
Review by Valerie:
Ahh...New York City. If you’ve ever been there, you know the energy the city has. Leilani also knows the energy the city has, after all, she worked there for years, but she felt the city drained her. After having a crush on her boss for most of those years, she loses her mom, almost loses her dad, and hightails it out of there and finds herself opening up her own cupcake shop on the little island of Sugarberry. Then one day, plop, out of the blue, her ex-boss shows up and turns
Gilles
Apr 16, 2013 Gilles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, dnf
I quit. 60% and I still am not invested in the characters. I can't take them talking about why their lives together won't work anymore. I haven't managed to figure out why they are even interested. I will just predict what happens instead.

They continue to discuss why it won't work beating the dead horse for another couple of chapters. They exchange kiss number 3 which blows their minds (btw they need to get out more) and convinces them they must try. So, they write up a life plan that meets the
Kait Nolan
Absolutely loved this! Witty, funny, hit all my happy buttons relating to my love of food, and definitely broke a LONG streak of less than satisfying reads.
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
Now I definitely wish I had read this series in order. Not that the second book doesn't stand on its own, it does. I just think I would have appreciated Lani and Baxter's scenes in it more having read this. Also, I wouldn't have had expectations of certain occurrences explained in the second book happening in this one.

Once again, I loved the characters in this book. With the exception of Alva, which is just an archetypal character I cannot stand, I really liked their interaction and their storie
..Mary..
Jul 12, 2013 ..Mary.. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando ho detto che volevo aspettare per leggere questo libro, non intendevo aspettare 10 mesi. Va be, almeno adesso posso leggere anche il seguito subito.
Leilani Trusdale ha trentanni, ed è un chef di grande talento che lavora a New York per uno dei più grandi chef famoso in tutto il mondo, ma non ce la fa più, le pressioni e le male lingue da parte dei suoi colleghi gelosi per il suo talento e il carattere dello chef Baxter Dunne, che ormai preferisce i riflettori degli studi televisivi alla c
Angie Elle
Jan 04, 2017 Angie Elle added it
Shelves: 13-rh-cr
I am almost halfway through this one, and I have to let it go. Nothing is happening in this one.

Review to come.
Novel
Kimberly
Sep 16, 2014 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Caffeinated Aspects

Cupcakes, a bakery, chefs and sinful talks about chocolate. Be sure to brings snacks to listen to this one!
Small-town setting. The tale takes place in Sugarberry Island, a small coastal community in Georgia. It was a delightful place with busy bodies, local businesses and a million stars at night. It sounds heavenly. Right? Now sniff..Yep cupcakes, coffee and fresh air.
Leilani Trusdale moves away from the hustle and bustle, not to mention the pressure of being a pastry c
Danielle
Nov 27, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
Leilani Trusdale has always had a love for baking. Lani decides to leave New York City and head to Sugarberry Island to escape her past. She knows she is making the right decision well, that is until her former boss, Baxter Dunne makes an appearance in her shop. Chef Hot Cakes wants to film a season of his show there, but it's that all he is there for?

Every one of Lani’s friends is convinced this time around Baxter is what she needs in her life to make it complete. Although, Lani doesn’t believ
Chachic
Jul 02, 2013 Chachic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chachic by: Laura Florand
Shelves: ebooks
Originaly posted here.

I got the recommendation for the Cupcake Club series from Laura Florand. I wanted to try out more contemporary romance that centered around food, especially desserts because I'm a huge fan of sweet things. In Sugar Rush, Lani leaves behind a successful career as a pastry chef and starts her own cupcakery in a small town. I love that Lani was brave enough to leave New York to start her own business and that she feels it's the right move for her even though others believe it'
Stacy
Jan 30, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
I kinda hate to go with the obvious, trite, analogy, but I just gotta say it--this book was like a cupcake: fun, fluffy, sweet, and totally addictive. Granted, it was a fairly standard romance novel, so there were no surprises on the ending, and Leilani's multiple passages of justifying why she was happy where she was (or, the mirror side of that as other characters had their "grand revelation" that she really was happy) got a bit repetitive eventually. But the characters overall, main and suppo ...more
Cee
Oct 30, 2012 Cee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sugar Rush is a quality contemporary romance. What I liked most here was that Lani was sincere and serious about her reasons for not wanting Baxter around. In so many romances, the heroine is wishy washy and caves far too quickly. Though Lani recognized that she wasn’t over Baxter, she gave real consideration to her decisions and what she told him. Readers can tell that both she and Baxter mean everything they’re saying. Further, I liked that Baxter listened to her. It took a few times, but he t
Natalia
Aug 24, 2013 Natalia rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, library, 2013
I read this for my book club - we read fluff during the summer. And this is totally fluff. It's a romance set in a cupcake shop - it's all fluff. I don't read a lot of romance, so it was a nice way to spend an afternoon and turn my brain off. Though the whole time I am mentally screaming at the book, "Why are you assuming this is so hard? The compromise is obvious, everyone moves to Savannah!" Hell, I'd love to have problems where the solution is moving to Savannah.

I got a little wrapped up in t
Caro
Sep 20, 2013 Caro rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
A good book with good characters and plot. The characters and their personalities were pretty good and definitely kept the book going. I liked the story line and the ending was perfect. There was humor, emotions, some steamy scenes, a great feeling setting and small-town feel, and some spitfires to keep it interesting. This would be a good book for cuddling-up, a rainy day read, or something for relaxing with. Although the main characters tended to get a little on my nerves, it was in a minor wa ...more
KatharinaM
Mar 23, 2012 KatharinaM rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Quite honestly? I got this book only because of the cupcakes on the cover - I LOVE cupcakes - but I was positively surprised. Not only were the characters both lovable and hilarious (hello, Alva!!!), and frequent use of cupcake therapy was made, but the sincere and intense dialogues between Lani and Baxter made me want so laugh, sigh and cry at the same time. A solid 4 stars for me.
Nifer
The library had this book on Valentine's display. Started to read it and couldn't even get through the first chapter. BUT! the recipe in the back for the gingerbread cupcakes with cinnamon icing is AMAZING! My recommendation - skip the book and go straight to the back for the recipe.
Laura Florand
Sep 23, 2012 Laura Florand rated it it was amazing
Loved the realness of the characters, the sense of fun, the sweetness to the story (and I'm not just talking about the cupcakes!), and the great details of what it means to be a pastry chef as well as one of my favorite settings, an island on the Georgia coast.
Tracey
Jul 17, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, cupcake-club
loving that red velvet cupcake recipe at the end lol
Amberalba Dawn
Jun 01, 2013 Amberalba Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avete mai assaggiato un cupcake?
All'apparenza è una piccola e graziosa tortina. Semplice e innocente nella sua forma e dall'aspetto sicuramente invitante.
Che male potrebbe fare? Nessuno, direte voi.
Eppure... dopo il primo assaggio vi avvolgerà in un velluto di sapori, dalle molteplici sfumature e contrasti, che si amalgamano sul vostro palato lasciandovi galleggiare in una bolla di estasi morso dopo morso.
Vi sentirete bene, vi perderete nella beatitudine che solo cioccolato, burro e vaniglia
Giovanna Lubrano Lavadera
Ho adorato questo libro e ho amato molti suo personaggi. La scrittura è abbastanza fluida, non ci si intoppa nel leggere il rigo e non si deve tornare indietro per un periodo perché è risultato troppo complicato.
E' una lettura frizzante e allegra, alcuni personaggi sono veramente singolari e nonostante possano sembrare un po' ficcanaso sono assolutamente deliziosi.
Poiché è ambientato su un'isola molto piccola e non molto popolata la vita di Leilani è ovviamente allietata da una piccola ma ben v
Sandy Forman-Johnson
Nov 15, 2016 Sandy Forman-Johnson rated it it was amazing
good book, 1st time reading this author
Yeng Foong
Oct 24, 2016 Yeng Foong rated it really liked it
A light, girly and romantic read.
Vitoria
Jul 28, 2016 Vitoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sabe aquele tipo de livro que passa a história inteira te tentando e te deixa morrendo de vontade de acabar com o estoque de uma confeitaria? Pois é, a trama de Donna Kauffman é esse tipo de livro.

Levei Delícia, Delícia para ler durante a viagem da minha cidade até São Paulo quando fui no Anime Friends há algumas semanas (o tempo passa muito rápido!), mas acabei dormindo durante a viagem ao invés de ler (aconteceu a mesma coisa na volta, fazer o quê?). Mas quando peguei para ler de verdade, me d
Free Books, .99 &...: Sugar Rush by Donna Kaufmann giveaway 2/14 1 8 Feb 07, 2012 07:00AM
  • Fool for Love (Cupcake Lovers, #1)
  • Cat Snips
  • Scrumptious (Sexy Chefs, #1)
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • Suddenly Beautiful
  • What He Craves (My Alpha Billionaire, #3)
  • The Fever and The Fury (Mythica #6)
  • A Man Like Mike
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • Too Hot to Handle (Jackson, #2)
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • One Night (Superstars in Love, #2)
  • Bella's Christmas Bake Off
  • Christmas in Lucky Harbor (Lucky Harbor, #1-2)
  • Christmas at Thornton Hall
  • Armando Returns (Barboza Brothers, #2)
  • Catch of a Lifetime (Cricket Creek, #2)
  • A Gift of Snow
USA Today bestselling author of the Bachelors of Blueberry Cove series, DONNA KAUFFMAN has been gratified to see her books get rave reviews in venues ranging from Kirkus Reviews and Library Journal to Entertainment Weekly and Cosmopolitan. She lives in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains in western Virginia, where she is presently applying her crafty DIY skills to decorating her new mountainside ab ...more
More about Donna Kauffman...

Cupcake Club (4 books)
  • Sweet Stuff (Cupcake Club, #2)
  • Babycakes (Cupcake Club, #3)
  • Honey Pie (Cupcake Club, #4)