Start by marking “Duševna muzika” as Want to Read:
Duševna muzika

Duševna muzika (Discworld #16)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  36,622 ratings  ·  651 reviews
Dok su druga deca dobijala ksilofone na poklon, Suzan je samo morala da zamoli dedu da skine odoru.
Da, da. Smrt je u toj porodici.

Teško je normalno odrastati kad vam deda jaše belog konja i mlatara kosom unaokolo. Još je teže ako se od vas očekuje da nastavite porodičnu tradiciju, a svi vas mešaju sa vilom Zubom.

A još još JOŠ je teže ako uz to dođete u dodir sa novom, opči
Published 2004 by Laguna (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Duševna muzika, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duševna muzika

Richard
6.5/10

Another solid entry into the Discworld series and the Death sub series (although Death has a relatively small amount of screen time) which this time tackles Rock 'n Roll coming to the Discworld. I love Rock 'n Roll and I enjoy humour so what's not to like?

The book started really well and got two differing strands of story line going, one with Rock 'n Roll and the other with Death going AWOL so his Granddaughter, Susan, has to take up the mantle and start to run the show. As the story progr
Gavin
Not up there with the best of his stuff, but I should point out at this juncture that since Guards Guards he's been getting marked on a scale relative only to his other books. If I'd picked up this book last week written by some po-dunk nobody it'd be getting five stars and I'd be desperately googling them for websites, blogs and news of their next release.

Soul Music is a slightly unbalanced pair of narratives, one about the infringing of rock and roll into the Discworld and the other a rather s
Melki
Now do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
Don MacLean

A fab foursome causes wizards to shake, rattle and roll, and manages to bring some hot times (not to mention broken furniture) to the Mended Drum. Suddenly, there's an earworm loose in Discworld, and now everyone's got their toes-a-tappin' and a song in their hearts.

Though I can't say exactly what was wrong, this one fell flat for me. It squeaks by with 3 stars ONLY because I liked the Death of Rats, Susan, the swing
Brooke
I am convinced that Sir Pratchett wrote this book for the sole reason of putting in a "grateful Death" joke.

It wasn't my favorite Discworld book, but the phrase "Music With Rocks In" is so charmingly Pratchett that I kind of wanted to hug it.
Ben Crozier
Falls into the category of Disc World novels where he is moving through obvious targets such as the music or film industry lacks the bite or philosophical insight you would hope or expect.
Mitticus
(Leí este libro a dos bandas, en inglés y en español al mismo tiempo, así que probablemente debería valer por dos)

Probably you'll enjoy more this book if you like music, or should I say if you have something to do with music or music business.

Is the story of a band of friends that joins the rocky way that leads for a new form of music, a sort of infection of strange proportions that affects to almost all in Discworld.

And it is the story of a grandfather and his granddaughter trying to understan
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
With the exception of The Color of Magic, this is the only Discworld novel I did not like. I'm not entirely sure why; maybe when compared with the lofty subject matter Pratchett has tackled in the other books, a fantasy novel about rock music seemed frivolous. Pratchett definitely belabored the Elf jokes (you'd recognize them); really, once was enough, and twice was pushing it. Past that, I was telling the pages that I got the joke, and would they cut it out. They didn't listen.

However, if I app
Menteith
To this day, this book remains the best commentary on rock and roll, and the rock and roll phenomenon, that I have ever read.

The book opens with Death deciding to retire... again. This time, there's no apprentice to fill the shoes, but the apprentice had a daughter... Death's daughter. So the task of being Death falls on a young girl in a boarding school for rich, noble children who knows nothing about the skeletons in the family closet. Death of Rats, along with Albert, attempt to educate her,
Morgue Anne
I borrowed this book from my boyfriend (at his insistence) early in our relationship thinking "Alright, he's being cute and giving me his idea of a 'good book' because he knows I'm a reader. Just smile and pretend you liked it, Tori." To my surprise, I actually did enjoy this book. I tend to avoid the "fantasy" or "science fiction" genre, simply because I don't like learning a whole extra world, but this one was so close to our own that the transition was smooth.
Similar in concept at the very l
David Sarkies
Jul 28, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You known who you are
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Rock n Roll invades the Discworld
26 July 2014

Well, I can't believe that I have just finished my 16th Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, and that is over two years (no, not sixteen books in two years, 16 Discworld novels in two years) since I decided that I would give Pratchett the benefit of the doubt and actually read them again prior to writing up a commentary, and this isn't even the last of the Discworld novels on my 'to read' list (I think there are another six, which would bring it up to Th
Katrice
I'm afraid I have to admit am a bit underwhelmed. I mean its clever and funny and cheeky but the story line kinda isn't that great. Or maybe its because were rather far along in the whole Diskworld blah blah and I didn't really get the in-jokes.

I will say this, wow, Pratchett. Your music as a deity is kinda grim. At the end WANTING people to burn out rather then fade away. Driving them to it. Harsh.
Melissa Proffitt
I re-read Discworld novels when I need to read something but can't afford to start something potentially time-sucking, so I've read this several times already. So I was surprised to realize something I hadn't before that I'm sure was obvious to everyone else. The premise is that the music made by the first musical instrument--the first guitar--is alive and wants to spread. It makes its hearers start dressing like '50s greasers and bobby-soxers, sends young men in hordes to the music shop to bang ...more
Tracey
Dec 21, 2007 Tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who've sold (or at least rented for a bit) their soul to rock & roll.
Shelves: re-read
After reading some rather heavy & depressing books (James Morrow & Kurt Vonnegut), I figured I'd lighten things up with Soul Music, a re-read from the Discworld series.

Imp y Celyn, a bard from Llamedos, comes to Ankh-Morpork to find his fortune. He joins up with a dwarf and a troll, buys a mysterious guitar from an unusual music shop & discovers (or is discovered by) a new type of music - "music with rocks in". At the same time, Death begins to question his purpose and goes wandering
Kaethe
February 19, 2008

Death takes a sort of holiday, so the Death of Rats goes looking for Death's granddaughter to fill the gap. Susan is off in boarding school, being an unusually practical teenager with no memory of her grandfather, when she gets the message. Meanwhile a bard, a troll, and a dwarf meet up and form a band and a magical guitar introduces the idea of Music with Rocks in to the Discworld.

The magic that is unleashed has more to do with lampooning record company contracts than the typic
Anna
This one somehow seemed for a long time to lack the usual end twist Pratchett tends to do, but it was there in the end after all. Just a bit too late, in my opinion, since it took me quite a long time to finish this. Most Pratchett books keep me reading until too late in the evening when I get to the last hundred or so pages, here it was the last 40 or 50.

At least I understood more jokes than usual, since I had the privilege to read some samples of a thesis written about this book in particular
Kalin
Soul Music was, I guess, my first true love. Um, I mean with Terry Pratchett. Um, I mean ... you know what I mean. :D

So much so that when I had to pick the topic of my 4,000-word IB extended essay, there was no room for doubt. It had to be Susan. And Death. And the Music With Rocks In. And the life-saving, human-defining importance of rebellion. (Teen angst, ha! teen me would fume. What d'you grown-ups know?)

Meet 4,000-word essay here:

WARNING: Even though this is the
Glimmerfee
Wie immer ein kluger Lesespaß und ein vergnüglicher Aufenthalt auf der Scheibenwelt.
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: A satirical comedy on the subject of death. It begins when Death decides to take a holiday and turns over the shop to his granddaughter, Susan, with the assistance of Death of Rats, a rat skeleton. Unfortunately, Susan does not have the stomach for such a heartless trade and this threatens the success of the establishment. By the author of The Light Fantastic. This 13th novel set in Discworld tells the story of Death's granddaughter, who inherited the job and grew to enjoy it. Amd of Im ...more
Melbourne on my mind
If I were to list the Discworld books in order of how much I love them, this one would be somewhere in the middle. But that doesn't mean it's not excellent. Instead, it's just one of the many offerings from Terry Pratchett that somehow manages to slip through the cracks for me. Anyway, I decided it was about time to reread it, and I'm incredibly glad I did. This is basically Discworld Does Rock Music, so it's riddled with almost-song-titles and sneaky references to Buddy Holly and Elvis and the ...more
Jim Martin
The fun thing about Disc World, at least I find it fun, is that while you have a general idea what you're going to get--the bad puns, the general satire of modern life--you're never certain how Pratchett will "mix it up," in presenting his tale. This book is an example of this.

This is one of the Death stories. It's not as good as Hogfather, but it has many of the same characters and it provides some of the background of their lives. Susan, the granddaughter of death, trust me it's bizarre, is fo
Ascexis
Sep 09, 2007 Ascexis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pratchett fans
This one grew on me. I don't know if I just didn't know enough about the music industry, and people, to really appreciate it, but I hated this one to start with. It seemed boring and silly (in 1994!)

At the same time though, it became associated with one of my best memories of 1995 -- a road trip from Aberystwyth to Cardiff to get the book signed by PTerry himself. Imagine two library geeks, Pratchett fen, best of mates driving through the Welsh countryside. Sunny and silly *g*.

So, the book perha
Rebecca Huston
A rollicking good time on the Discworld when a new form of music hits Ankh-Morpork and Death decides to wonder what everything is all about. For those who know their rock-n-roll, you'll have quite a few chuckles and a few groans over the puns. And of course, Death, Susan and Death of Rats get all of the best lines. Fans should have a good time with this one. Five stars overall and a very much recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
Webcowgirl
A well written, yet generally fluffy book. Nice character development. It kept me engaged.
Leah
Until today, I had not thought it possible to run up against a Discworld that I didn't enjoy - bar the first two, which don't really count, of course.

But this is a regression, an awkward coupling of two completely separate stories held together with a glue of really, really bad jokes. It almost feels like someone got the order wrong, and this is the third or fourth Discworld novel, written before he quite got control of the reins of the stories that flow out of his fingers like music. Which meta
Regan Wann
OK. After listening to (and thoroughly enjoying) Going Postal on audio I thought maybe I'd read a bit of Pratchett and see if it fit. So I read The Color (or Colour, depending on which cover you get) of Magic. It was OK.

It was suggested to me that I might enjoy several other Pratchett Discworld books more than the one I read so I chose one of those, voici, Soul Music.

It was OK. It was a better OK than The Colo(u)r of Magic but still not something I'm ready to rave about. I mean, I liked it and r
Stuart Langridge

SUMMARY:
A satirical comedy on the subject of death. It begins when Death decides to take a holiday and turns over the shop to his granddaughter, Susan, with the assistance of Death of Rats, a rat skeleton. Unfortunately, Susan does not have the stomach for such a heartless trade and this threatens the success of the establishment. By the author of The Light Fantastic. This 13th novel set in Discworld tells the story of Death's granddaughter, who inherited the job and grew to enjoy it. Amd of Imp

Richard Pittman
Perhaps the weakest of the Discworld books that I have read other than the very earliest ones. This book seemed a lot more dated than the other works in this series. It is also, perhaps not coincidentally, the book that has had the longest lag between the time of writing and the time of my reading in quite some time.

Many of Pratchett's books take one cultural phenomenon and build a story around it. It may be the printing press, the post office, money, etc. This is one of those books, and the to
Rachel
Death is missing...again. Now, it is up to his granddaughter, Susan, to take up his mantle. Thing is, despite her rigorous education, being Death was not among the topics, and even with her natural abilities, she has her own inclinations. While on the job, she comes across someone she wishes to save, however before she can act, his life is prolonged by Music With Rocks In.

The Discworld version of Rock and Roll is alive and seeping into the minds of those who hear it. Susan, the wizards, and eve
Scott Holstad
This is a pretty good book, but I don't think it's Pratchett's best Discworld novel at all. Still, puns abound. In this one, Imp the Bard goes to Ankh-Morpork to see his fortune in music as a harp player. He meets some other musicians, a dwarf who plays a horn and a troll who bangs on rocks, and they form a band. However, Imp's harp is destroyed and they look for a replacement in a magical shop and come out with a magical guitar, unbeknownst to them. And the guitar takes on a life of its own. Th ...more
Connor
While I really do love what I've read of the discworld series so far, this one wasn't quite as good as the others. I'll be picking up the next in the death collection soon!
  • The Witches of Chiswick
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Legends
  • In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2)
  • Wieża jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)

More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.” 244 likes
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” 89 likes