Pelé: The Autobiography

Pelé: The Autobiography

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Even people who don't know football know Pele. The best of a generation of Brazilian players universally acknowledged as the most accomplished and attractive group of footballers ever to play the game, he won the World Cup three times and is Brazil's all-time record goalscorer.

But how did this man -- a sportsman, a mere footballer, like many others -- become a global icon

Published May 15th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published May 1977)

Fever Pitch by Nick HornbyInverting the Pyramid by Jonathan  WilsonBrilliant Orange by David WinnerSoccernomics by Simon KuperThe Damned UTD by David Peace
Best Football (Soccer) Books
8th out of 157 books — 125 voters
Moneyball by Michael LewisFriday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerSeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandThe Blind Side by Michael LewisFever Pitch by Nick Hornby
Top reads for sports fans
480th out of 498 books — 460 voters

More lists with this book...

Isfand
This is the autobiography of Pelé, the life of a myth narrated by the myth himslef. A book full of epic achievements, which pulses of passion for football and in which the fans will find soccer in its most noble, exemplary, perfect form.

His name is the synonymous of football. I think whoever loves football will love his story.
The greatest player of all time, the athlete of the century, the greatest scorer (1380 goals) of all time, the three times World Cup champion was born in a hut. He learned...more
Pete daPixie
Aug 23, 2012 Pete daPixie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Football fans the world over & Mahlon
Shelves: autobiogs, footie
All of the footie books I've read feature English players. I barely know anything of the Brazilian game, except of course every four years at the World Cup tournaments. But...the world knows the name Pele, and this autobiography tells his life story from shanty shack all the way to 2006, when this book was published, in his sixty sixth year.
I mainly enjoyed this book for it's coverage of the legendary Brazilian World Cup exploits of 1958, '62, '66, and '70, when Pele and Brazil won the Jules Rim...more
Pedr0br2012
Nov 20, 2008 Pedr0br2012 rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: All my FREINDS
Recommended to Pedr0br2012 by: My Mom
Pele by, Simon & Schuster Ltd

The best, the greatest and the unbelievable footballer player of all time, named Pele. The autobiography of Pele is an awesome book, I couldn’t stop reading for days, I like this book for a lot of reasons, and one of them is really important to me.

The first reason I like it, is because he was the first “Negro” from Brazil to visit the white house in Washington DC. At that time it was really hard to someone from American to visit the white house and especially fro...more
Uwe
Pele

How does a boy become a legend? The book ,Pele, will tell you exactly how this can happen. The author's Orlando Duarte and Alex Bellos did a great job talking about Pele's life. The book talks about how he was born in Brazil .The book also talks about how he played soccer as a boy. He was poor so he started his own team with his friends and they also played many teams. It also talks abut how thy made balls because they could not afford any. All his coaches taught him important moves. This al...more
Adrian Rocha
This is the best soccer book ever.He was the best soccer player in the world when he played.He was always the top scorer.He played with the best soccer teams there was.Hes on of my soccer idols I learned to do a lot of soccer tricks from watching him.
Big Tommy
Fantastic, a very human story from the possibly world's most popular man.
Inry

I recently read the autobiography of Pele, the best soccer player of all time. This book was inspiring to me, since the beginning of the book to end page by page that I read I would get motivated and wanted to play and practice soccer and motivate myself to be a better player. This book is sad and at the same time motivating, a really good book even if you are not soccer fan.
Pele talks about his life and harsh times, how he came from nothing to becoming the best soccer player of all times. The...more
Hortencia
I have read ¨My Life and the Beautiful Game¨ by Pele. The main purpose of the author was to write about his life and his soccer career. This book is an autobiography of Pele. He talks about every single one of his struggles as a person. Pele mentions that he was a poor kid from Brazil and that he worked hard to become a famouse soccer player. I loved this book mainly because it talks a lot about soccer (of course) and Pele is my ultimate favorite soccer player. In at least every single page, Pel...more
Hector A
Jan 23, 2013 Hector A marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rachael-t
“My Life and the Beautiful Game” is an autobiography written by the world famous football player Pele along with Robert L. Fish. It shows you the world of football life threw the eyes of the world famous player, and teaches you that it not always easy. It is a thrilling story that puts you in the shoes of a young boy named Pele who plaid football on the streets of Brazil with only dreams of being at the top. From living in poverty to being rich people didn't always respect him due to his race a...more
Mika Auramo
Peléhän on kiistatta yksi jalkapallomaailman legendaarisimmista pelaajista, kirja valottaakin hyvin hänen uraansa, perhe-elämää ja peliuran jälkeistä aikaa. Mukana on totta kai nostalgisia pelitunnelmia, mutta toisaalta murheita niin rakkaus- kuin raha-asioissakin.

Pelén isä "Dondinho" oli paikallinen kuuluisuus ja jalkapalloilija, mutta puoliammattilainen ei kyennyt elättämään pelillään perheettään, ja tulot olivat niukkoja. Baurussa asuessa rahasta oli puutetta, mutta pojan ja kavereiden palava...more
Aidan Gamble
I really enjoyed reading this book. The Story is about Pele's life and his road to glory. It tells you mostly about football but it also tell you about his personal life. It is mostly in chronological order but sometimes skips forward to some things they go back to them again. The style of this book is quite relaxed and he sometimes jokes around in the books. I this book is aimed towards all ages because the vocabulary and style of the writing is intermediate but I think it would be hard for you...more
Benjamin Kim
It was a honest autobiography because he tells his soccer and social, personal life.
Elijah
This book was great and i really liked it. Pele was a brilliant futbol player with a lot of talent. He had incredible skills and did a lot for his teams. He went through a lot as a futbol player and was known as one of the best players in history. He is still a idol to most players today because of his amazing talent on the pitch. he always put 100% effot in his games and this book shows all the things he did on the field that contributed to his national team wining the world cup.
Pat
The greatest? Possibly. His story is modestly told, with a realisation of his importance in history. No player will achieve what he did in the World Game. His achievments can't be argued with because he did it against all that was put in front of him. He could easily have thrived in the modern game where tackling is non existent, but how many would survive the brutality of the defending from his era? Great story from a true sporting legend.
Comelibros
Definitivamente el mejor el mejor jugador del mundo, además de ser un ejemplo para la humanidad. Me gusto mucho el partido que tuvo en el mundial con la URRS; ya que está selección tenía un fútbol científico y era la favorita. Sin embargo un equipo donde la picardía, el buen juego y sobre todo la humildad de sus jugadores le quito el primer puesto del grupo lo demás ya es historia. Brasil Campeón!!!. Una excelente biografía.
Mike Worth
Very easy to read, and a great insight into his life. He tries to answer some of the comments regarding the the bad things he is meant to have done. Takes a while to realise that it hard fo him to not sound arrogant and bragging, then you remember he probably is understating his achievments if anything...it's just that his achievemnts and skills are greater than most other sportsmen!
Shawn
It was interesting, but not as much as I had hoped. He seemed a little arrogant, having a case of reverse discrimination and appears to be overly anxious to offer his own (plausible? accurate?) motivations for many events in which he claims the press painted him inaccurately.

Perhaps this isn't too unexpected, however, for someone that achieves a high level of success such as Pelé.
Jono
Mediocre. I found it all a bit preachy, like his way is the only way to live your life.The excuses about not winning the World Cup in '66 really got to me and there seemed to be a bit of hypocrisy in the way he complained that some players were only in the game for money and then signed for New York for $9000000. OK but I expected much more rom this...
Nymphredyl
I know the basics of futbol, I can recognize the beaty of someone who executes the game in a beatiful joyful manner but from there I practically know next to nothing about it. I found this book beatiful in the sense that this is a man perceived by most to have acomplish much and now he finds himself in the point were looking back is the proper thing to do.
Bill
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did, I had always admired Pele as a footballer and now as a man. He comes across as very humble and indeed still excited by the 'beautiful game' All my memories of the 1970 World Cup came back to life with this book. I don't believe that you have to like football to enjoy the book either
Ethan
This is a really good book about what life in brazil is like. Pele is one of the best soccer players known to soccer. In the book it tells you what he has gone through when he was a kid: poor, knowlageable and likable. The book is very detailed. It is a really good book I give it a five out of five.
Andrew
It is no wonder that Brazilian football (which has represented the best of the "Beautiful Game") has produced the sports most iconic figure in Pele. He is known as probably the greatest football player that has lived and an ambassador for the sport the World over.

This is his story told in his own words.
Pietro
I found this book extremely interesting because I think of Pele as the greatest soccer player to ever be. He is definitely my soccer idle. If you already knew Pele before you read this book your mind will be blown by how much you learn and how lucky he was to have the soccer talent.
William
I would consider Pele the only "hero" "role-model" I had growing up, besides my family, and to rush through this book in the time the library allows me to keep it would be wrong.

I will read it once I find at the local book-store.
Nor Azzah
Ilustrasi, foto-foto, bahan-bahan yang ada nilai sejarah, fakta-fakta. Sangat menarik persembahan buku ini. Orang yang tidak meminati bola pun jadi berminat nak membacanya.
Buku untuk anak, tapi ibunya pun teruja.
Charles
Nov 10, 2008 Charles added it
Shelves: q1
this book is about pele and he was known to be the best soccer player alive just like babe ruth was the best player of baseball. pele was from brazil and he played amazing for the brazilian team
Joe Stamber
Interesting story of Pele's life, but I found the style a bit flat. Worth reading if you're a fan, there's even a few pages of stats at the end to peruse.
Goz
Jun 30, 2008 Goz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Goz by: fans of soccer and brazil and pele
I am so glad to have an autobiography in my Pele collection. This one is a top prize as it's autographed by "O Rei", "The King" himself.
Komodosam
What an interesting life Pele had. I especially enjoyed his younger days and stories of his life in football-mad Brazil.
  • El Diego: The Autobiography of the World's Greatest Footballer
  • Morbo: The story of spanish football
  • The Football Factory
  • Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Football
  • Keane:  The Autobiography
  • The Miracle of Castel di Sangro: A Tale of Passion and Folly in the Heart of Italy
  • Ajax, The Dutch, The War: Football in Europe During the Second World War
  • The Damned UTD
  • Calcio: A History of Italian Football
  • King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero
Edison Arantes do Nascimento, KBE, best known by his nickname Pelé, is a Brazilian football player. He was given the title of Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee. Time magazine listed Pelé as one of the 100 Most Important People of the 20th Century. While his birth certificate shows his first name as Edison (after Thomas Edison), he prefers to call himself Edson, but it i...more
More about Pelé...
For the Love of Soccer! Why Soccer Matters Learning Soccer with Pelé Play Football With Pelé Mi Legado

“A penalty is a cowardly way to score.” 59 likes