Start by marking “Holding Heaven: A Novella” as Want to Read:
Holding Heaven: A Novella

Holding Heaven: A Novella

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Storyteller Jerry B. Jenkins and biblical artist Ron DiCianni transport you to the hardscrabble Middle East of the first century where you eavesdrop on interaction between a father and a son so profound that it will forever change how you view the Incarnation.
Published November 4th 2005 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Holding Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding Heaven

Shelley R
Oct 28, 2008 Shelley R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is written from Joseph's point of view. It was interesting!
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration, biblical
father/son bond joseph & jesus
Nora St Laurent
Jul 10, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was really insightful into the intimate relationship Jesus has with Joseph his earthly father. It was a powerful message. It also gives you a glimpse as to what Jesus might have been like as a man.

Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guide
Joseph
Nov 28, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holding Heaven wonderfully captures a husband's love for his wife and a father's love for his Son, then in turn a Son's love for His mother and His father, through two interactions between Joseph and Jesus. While the content and concept is a delightful one and the main intent is the authors' message, the construction is a little problematic as the author combines his own narrative with that of the Bible's and the transition from one to the other is not always a smooth one.
Allen Steele
This was a very good guess at what the life of Mary & Joseph went through in raising Jesus. We have no true account for this time, but the author did a good job of weaving in what we do know with conjecture. The gospel msg is also projected here and has many proofs for someone who is still on the fence. Good job, I liked it.
Angela Dueck
This was an okay book. I found it kind of interesting to read the incarnation story in the perspective of Joseph and Jesus' relationship. This book did, however, raise the question for me of how much Jesus knew of what was going to happen to him.
Ruth
Mar 12, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is written as a conversation between baby Jesus and his parents may have been like. Also later in life when Jesus was witnessing the last days of his earthly father. Really a good read and I plan on reading it again!
Theresa
Nov 09, 2007 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written short nevella that tells the story of the relationship of Jesus and his earthly father, Joseph. It gives an insight into what Joseph might of felt and thought about being the "father" of Jesus.
Eric Reidsma
Jan 26, 2013 Eric Reidsma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short (72pages) fictional story about the relationship between Jesus and Joseph his earthly father. I know its fiction, but I love the writing style which gives us an inside view of the story.
Glenda
Jan 19, 2016 Glenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A conversation between Joseph and Jesus when Jesus was a child and when Joseph was old. An interesting and reflective read for this season!
Michelle Crane-burns
Beautiful, so wonderful to read what Joseph might have gone through as the stepfather to Jesus.
Sabrina
Dec 27, 2007 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read, from the viewpoint of Joseph, father of Jesus. Left me wanting to read more.
Christy
Nov 05, 2007 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous illustrations. This is the Christ story from a different perspective.
Alex
Jan 03, 2010 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different way of telling the story of the birth and death of Jesus.
Donna Broadbooks
Gives you a dramatic look at the relationship of Joseph and Jesus.
Gilliansreadingnook//J. Finley
Dec 28, 2015 Gilliansreadingnook//J. Finley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Gilliansreadingnook//J. by: Jerry B. Jenkins
Shelves: bedtime-reads
It's a lovely book with a perspective we don't get in the Bible. That's NOT a criticism of God's WORD. The Bible is NOT a novel. It is God's message of salvation. This book, on the other hand, is an insight on what MIGHT well have happened between Joseph and his adopted Son.

I can well imagine Joseph's mind-set during the time, from when Mary told him about the baby, to the Holy Night to the period covered in the novel. On one hand, he's looking at a baby, but the WHO of that baby's identity is
Kathi
Jun 18, 2009 Kathi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read. 1st half retelling of Jesus' birth, 2nd half telling of Joseph's death
Twila Boaz
Twila Boaz marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Lora Connor
Lora Connor marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Lydia Tadrouss saad
Lydia Tadrouss saad rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Tess
Tess added it
May 20, 2016
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Aimee Shaffer
Aimee Shaffer marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Ashley M
Ashley M marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Marianne Luginbuhl
Marianne Luginbuhl rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2016
Judy Cornell
Judy Cornell marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Abigail Richmond
Abigail Richmond marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 185 books, including mysteries, historical fiction, biblical fiction, cop thrillers, international spy thrillers, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature Christians as protagonists. In 2005, Jenki ...more
More about Jerry B. Jenkins...