Start by marking “Прерия (Цикл: Кожаный чулок. Книга 5)” as Want to Read:
Прерия (Цикл: Кожаный чулок. Книга 5)

Прерия (The Leatherstocking Tales #5)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,032 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Роман Д. Фенимора Купера (1789-1851) "Прерия" - пятая, заключительная книга пенталогии замечательного американского писателя, посвященная приключениям охотника Натаниэля Бампо. Роман, заключающий историю Кожаного Чулка, подводит итоги не только жизни героя, но и всей эпохи колонизации Америки.
Published 1983 by Правда (first published 1825)

To ask other readers questions about Прерия, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Прерия

Neil
Jan 16, 2015 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now read the entire Leatherstocking Tales and regret to say that I rank The Prairie next to last on the good book scale for that series. ( The Pathfinder scored lowest for me, but I will give it another chance and read it again because I really didn’t pay much attention to it the first time. ) My disappointment with The Prairie lay in the plot itself, not the message. Cooper unabashedly criticized western expansion at a time when the nation believed it had a divine right to displace the o ...more
Rdt
Jan 04, 2016 Rdt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only other one of the Leatherstocking Tales that I have read is Last of the Mohicans, which is much more famous than The Prairie, but to my mind not nearly as good. I found the old Natty Bumppo to be a more believable and interesting character than his younger self. He is the same wise man with a deep knowledge of nature and life on the frontier, but here we see him with his faculties weakened by age and deeply aware of his own mortality. As an older man he is less willing to fight both beca ...more
Andre LeMagne
Dec 27, 2015 Andre LeMagne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the Leatherstocking Tales, I found this one particularly compelling. The protagonist is no longer young and vigorous; he is in the final years of his life, yet his intrepid spirit and level head remain in play.
Robin
Mar 26, 2015 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually might have rated this a 3.75 if you could give quarter stars.

I didn't think this book was as bad as some of the others in this Leather Stocking Series. Usually Natty goes off on tangents about Faith, Race and other things, but I found him somewhat subdued in this book. He does go off on how he's an old man, a Chritian and not so educated but again, it's quite mild in comparison to some of the other books.

I found it interesting and exciting here and there too. So almost 4 starts just n
Sarah C
Apr 29, 2014 Sarah C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I take it Fenimore was not so familiar with this landscape as his descriptions of the prairie, to me, didn't convince. Natty, now a very old man, is the fittest 80/90 year old man in existence. Still, it was a good story and for me quite emotional at the end as our hero has become "my friend" over all the five books of the leather-stocking series. Very corny in places and sometimes predictable but I shall miss reading about his adventures. I have really enjoyed this series of books, at times the ...more
Jim Kisela
Jul 02, 2015 Jim Kisela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1830 novel reads reasonably well today, and in fact, is quite contemporary in its reflection on how civilization is changing the landscape (and not for the better), and how the settlers disrespected and mistreated the original native inhabitants.

I kept stopping myself and asking: "When was this written, because the language and issues are so pertinent".

The use of the word "parachute" really surprised me because I thought of it as a modern word, in relation to airplanes and flying. I wasn't
Trounin
Jul 31, 2015 Trounin rated it liked it
В очередной книге Купера об индейцах прерия становится новой декорацией для происходящих событий. Не так важно, о чём будет сюжет, поскольку он мало отличается от аналогичных ему других произведений автора. Вновь читателя ждут высокопарные слова, романтически настроенные герои, индейские размолвки и бесконечная мудрость людей, осознающих крушение одного мира в угоду процветания другого. Каждый герой увлечён своим собственным делом, а их встреча друг с другом — удачное/неудачное стечение обстояте ...more
Gena Lott
Aug 05, 2011 Gena Lott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I read by Cooper and I certainly took things out of order. It took a while for me to get into Cooper's stride. But the book is deep and rich, though parts are haunting. I must read some of his other books. I consider his work some that any "well read" person should have purused!
Jonathan
This is not JFC's most scintillating novel. But it's an important glimpse of life on the Great Plains at the end of Natty Bumpo's life. A melancholy, downbeat coda to the energetic stories of the French & Indian War, almost a lifetime before the events of The Pioneers. The hero has lost everything --even his name it seems-- except his rifle, his dog, and his wits. He's on the plains because there is no more solitude in the forest. Most of the characters he meets, Native American and white, a ...more
Mark Oppenlander
Fabian
Sep 12, 2011 Fabian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Analyze the shit outta any of these classics and you are bound to discover the golden nugget that someone somewhere once found and classified as such. Not the case with this, the last of the Leatherstocking tales, one not for modern readers. At all.

Campfire philosophy is perhaps the least interesting aspect of this tale (the opposite case of, say, the superlative "Lonesome Dove") which is about 200 years old… and by setting all players on leveled, even ground (Shakespeare’s plays are often quote
Ross
Jul 25, 2010 Ross rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply awful. It was written in the 1820's about the far west of which the author knew nothing. Of course he was writing for an audience that also knew nothing of the far west.
The book starts with the characters camped on the west bank of the Missouri River and the next day they reach the Rocky Mountains pulling their wagon by hand. The quality of the prose is childish and the story line is absurd.
This book came out shortly after "The Last of the Mohicans" which I read as a child 6
Tony Paulson
Aug 05, 2015 Tony Paulson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really challenging to read! The plot seemed to never fully develop and the dialogue was absurd at times, especially the long philosophical speeches in the midst of climactic conflicts. Some of the better points were the interesting characters and themes of honor and chivalry common among his other books. I rated this so low because it just seemed to be so incoherently written.
Timothy Boyd
Well I made it through this series. The last book is not horribly bad, a little more action and engaging read than most of the series. Overall I was very disappointed in this classic series. The writing seemed to wander and drag on with long rambling sermons by the characters on life the universe and everything. Not recommended
Michael Roy
Sep 05, 2014 Michael Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a read

Not quite at the same level as The Last of the Mohicans, but satisfying overall, as it tells the last years of Leatherstocking. it is also an interesting description of the move westward across the prairies. with examples of both positive and negative interactions between whites and natives.
Kurt
Dec 22, 2014 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. written in 1827 it's not only a good story, it's the arch type for all Western books and movies to come, and a study in the developing American character, both mythic and real. I'm amazed (and grateful) it hasn't been made into a movie or mini TV series.
Aaron Cance
If one can read books promiscuously, as I was reassured in graduate school that one could, I read all five of the books in this series like a complete whore, giving myself entirely over to the story - loved all five. A word of caution, however: They were written in a different order than the chronology of the narrative. Imagine my disappointment at the Deerslayer's death at the end of the third book out of five.

The order that the author produced them:

The Pioneers
Last of the Mohicans
The Prairie
T
Tahca
Sep 20, 2014 Tahca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book ,however, I found that at times it dragged on a little too far. But other than that its plot, characters , and description were amazing!
Patrick Walsh
Sep 15, 2013 Patrick Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Writer's Almanac for 15th September 2013, the writers noted the birthday anniversary of James Fenimore Cooper, the author of the series known as the Leatherstocking Tales. The comment was made that Cooper made the "wild, untamed America seem romantic." Having read the entire series, I can understand that comment as it applies to some of the storytelling, but I find the notion that the fourth and fifth novels in the series (in historical order, not order of writing) are romantic to be at o ...more
Cemal Özenir
Aug 21, 2015 Cemal Özenir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entire Leather-Stocking series by James Fenimore Cooper ...
5 books ...
approximately 2400 pages ...
just over 9 weeks of reading ...

An excellent slice of classic American literature - well worth the effort ! ! !
Jefferson Coombs
Mar 10, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Good conclusion to the Leatherstocking Tales. It was back to the same high adventure, great storytelling of the first 3 novels.
Beth Roberts
The stilted dialogue is occasionally hard to take, but the conflict between "civilization" and "nature," between Indians and European settlers, between prairie and woods, is presented so thoughtfully, painfully indeed, that the dialogue can be forgiven. Great fun.
Annie
Mar 26, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful descriptions of life on the Prairie between the Sioux, the Pawnee and the white man, told through an engaging story of kidnapping.
Lukerik
Aug 30, 2015 Lukerik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the Leatherstocking Tales is a bit like being gang raped: there are five of them, it went on for hours and I didn't enjoy it.
D. Fackelman
May 18, 2014 D. Fackelman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding finish to The Leatherstocking Tales.
Michael
Sep 29, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey
Jun 07, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read most of this book for a class earlier in the semester, but I didn't have a chance to finish it until today. Yes, Cooper can be longwinded, but for the most part I found the descriptions beautiful, and I was surprised by how involved I became in the plot. Also, since this is the final book in the Leatherstocking series, Natty's character is quite old, which makes him more humble and less obnoxious than he is in the Deerslayer (at least from what Brian has told me). Overall, a thoroughly en ...more
Data
Jun 30, 2015 Data rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everything_but
Hawkeye rules forever! Cooper is once again the master of action, with some soliloquy that rivals the bard. You can find a wide range of truths in this novel, with some wise comment on human nature and the environment. It's worth wading through the prose of the time to get a darn good story, and realize that logical thinking has always given good answers on a lot of subjects. A little slow to get into it, but I couldn't put it down by the end.
Tessa
Sep 19, 2012 Tessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-adventury
2.5 I'm done! Cooper is long winded. He's a better storyteller than Brockton Brown, but holy cow, get to the point. It didn't help that I was behind the reading schedule for class and was constantly trying to catch up.

Influential contribution to American literature, but it in no way compels me to read more of Cooper. Good discussions in class about it.

I did like the portrayal of Ishmael and Mahtoree.
Melodee
Aug 28, 2008 Melodee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys reading adventures
Shelves: misc
This book continued the Leatherstocking Tales series. It tells the story of a man who loves the wilderness, and fights against the progress of "civilization." He befriends certain Indians, and fights with others, then goes his own way. I won't spoil the ending for anyone who wishes to read it, but it is sad. I enjoyed this book, and look forward to reading the next installment.
  • New Orleans Sketches
  • Kenilworth
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
  • Osceola the Seminole: The Red Fawn of the Flower Land
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea / The Mysterious Island / Journey to the Centre of the Earth / Around the World in Eighty Days
  • Kidnapped and Catriona
  • The Sea-Wolf and Selected Stories
  • The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes And Misfortunes, His Friends And His Greatest Enemy
  • Francis Parkman : France and England in North America : Vol. 1 of 2: Pioneers of France in the New World, The Jesuits in North America in the Seventeenth Century, La Salle and the Discovery of the Great West, The Old Regime in Canada (Library of America)
  • The Country Doctor
  • Selected Writings
  • The Last of Cheri
  • Бегущая по волнам
  • Winnetou III: Winnetou Gugur
James Fenimore Cooper was a popular and prolific American writer. He is best known for his historical novel The Last of the Mohicans, one of the Leatherstocking Tales stories, and he also wrote political fiction, maritime fiction, travelogues, and essays on the American politics of the time. His daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper was also a writer.

Series:
* The Leatherstocking Tales
* The Littlepage Man
More about James Fenimore Cooper...

The Leatherstocking Tales (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Deerslayer (The Leatherstocking Tales, #1)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2)
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
  • The Pioneers (Leatherstocking Tales, #4)
  • The Leatherstocking Trilogy: Last of the Mohicans, The Deerslayer & The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales)
  • Leatherstocking Saga
  • The Leatherstocking Tales: The Library of America Edition
  • The Deer Slayer V1: Or the First Warpath (1841)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Annotated): A Narrative of 1757 (Leatherstocking Tales Series Book 2)
  • The Last of the Mohicans: A Narrative of 1757 (The Leatherstocking Tales #2)

“It is the fate of all things to ripen, and then to decay.” 5 likes
“The air, the water, and the ground are free gifts to man, and no one has the power to portion them out in parcels. Man must drink, breath, and walk - and therefore each has a right to his share of earth.” 4 likes