Start by marking “1066 and All That : A Memorable History of England” as Want to Read:
1066 and All That : A Memorable History of England

1066 and All That : A Memorable History of England

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,947 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
Published December 1st 1969 by Penguin (first published October 1930)

To ask other readers questions about 1066 and All That , please sign up.

Paul It had two authors, Robbie, not one. It's a very good book which gave you waves of various things and helped you decide who was a Good King and who…moreIt had two authors, Robbie, not one. It's a very good book which gave you waves of various things and helped you decide who was a Good King and who was a Bad King.(less)

notgettingenough
Jul 30, 2012 notgettingenough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
Things this book doesn't explain about England.

(1) Fishfingers in a white bread roll. Not so much that they exist as they pass for nutrition.

(2) First class on trains being quite often cheaper than economy.

(3) The help I get in the Underground with my bag. And yet my niece with her baby in a pram gets not a finger lifted to her. Stephen says it is because my bag is bigger than I am. Luton, which is full of sweet men who take charge. Not once have I asked for help, it is just given.

(4) Why Birmin
Kristopher Swinson
I really cannot describe the delightful depth of wit. One wouldn’t think that their roving narrative is morally probing, but I detected great commentary on religious intolerance (24-25, 43-44, 66, 87), as well as socially. William and Mary’s “Toleration Act, which said they would tolerate anything, though afterwards it went back on this and decided that they could not tolerate the Scots” (87). Insights on the Southsea Bubble (89, 91-92) are particularly applicable in light of present economicall ...more
Roisin Radford
Sep 15, 2011 Roisin Radford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books of all time; silly, harmless, educated humour at its best. It plays on all of the English history that you would traditionally have been taught at school and promptly forgotten, presenting it in the slightly hazy jumble stereotypical of someone who went through the education system a little longer ago than they'd care to remember!
The humour is reminiscent of Monty Python, as is often said. But Seller & Yeatman are less absurdist, though the inherently childi
Kay
Aug 29, 2007 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A blithe send-up of the sort of English history that was force-fed to generations of Britons. With test questions such as:

"Describe in excessive detail:
a) The advantages of the Black Death
b) The fate of the Duke of Clarence
c) A Surfeit"

In short, the more I read of British humor circa 1870-1960, the more I understand where Monty Python was coming from.

MisterFweem
Feb 02, 2011 MisterFweem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History, these authors point out, isn't really what happened: It's what's remembered. So that's why everybody out there has a garbled idea of the history of his or her nation, as Sellar and Yeatman present here of Jolly Olde Englande.

Most intriguing throughout is the framing of all English history in the guise of whether England was Top Nation at the time these events occurred. I'm sure every nation gauges its history by such a standard; knowing when and why one was Top Nation is important for t
Ellen
May 04, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
Hilarious, though probably better to read a little at a time, and also if you have some vague idea of real English history. Ever since reading this I have wanted to write an American version, called, naturally, 1776 and All That.
Louise
Jul 16, 2008 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For pheasant, read peasant throughout.
Stephanie
Sep 18, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Love this book. It's hilarious in that dry British way. Please note- it's much funnier if you're already familiar with British history as much of the book is devoted to a willful and intentional misinterpretation of fact.
Antonomasia
This has always been a Christmas book to me, because there was a copy in the house of a relative we used to visit at this time of year when I was a child. [Here I could really do with a small font.] But I'd never actually finished it before. I must have been seven or eight when I secretly abandoned it. I wouldn't have been able to bring myself to admit to anyone that I didn't understand all of it, because I was the sort of smartarse Hermione kid that never happened to. Even now it's been surpris ...more
Kim
Nov 14, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read

Having recently read extracts from Jane Austen's teenage satirical work The History of England, I thought it was time to re-visit this classic work, first published in 1930. Jane Austen's work on the same theme reminded me of how much I had enjoyed reading this book more than thirty years ago.

It is a quick read: sixty-two chapters in 123 pages, from Chapter 1, in which Caesar invades Britain, to the end of history, which according to Chapter 62, occurred after the Great War and the "Peace to En
Kirsti
Sep 07, 2009 Kirsti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, history
Delightfully muddled book of English history as described by English people who have not had to pass a history test in quite some time.

"The Boston Tea Party

One day when George III was insane he heard that the Americans never had afternoon tea. This made him very obstinate and he invited them all to a compulsory tea-party at Boston; the Americans, however, started by pouring the tea into Boston Harbour and went on pouring things into Boston Harbour until they were quite Independent, thus causing
Siria
I've been aware of this classic for many years, but have only now come across a copy of it. I found 1066 and All That to be fitfully funny; in many ways it's a product of its time and social context, and so is probably most amusing to someone who was a product of the English educational system through to the early 60s. Still, there are some fitfully funny moments, particularly the wry little one liners. ("For pheasant, read peasant throughout.")
Dana
This book drove me mental, and I wish it hadn't. I wish I had been able to appreciate its silliness without being driven crazy by all the incorrect dates and facts. I do appreciate what the author was trying to do, but apparently I'm too much of an obsessive history nerd to make it more than several pages into something like this without wanting to tear my hair out. It's a shame.
Jemidar
Dec 08, 2011 Jemidar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour

A short and amusing volume of all the English history you will ever need to remember, and a clever dig at how history used to be taught in schools. The more up you are on your English history, the more you will appreciate and enjoy it. Some of the one liners are very funny. I laughed out loud lots, so beware of reading it in public places. Highly recommended.
HBalikov
Jun 16, 2016 HBalikov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before there was Monty Python mocking “The Empire,” there was this book. When I first read it, I knew enough to laugh at some of the obvious deviations from straight history. Things about the American Revolution and King George inviting the colonists to a tea party and their victory marking the end of English being spoken there.

But the more I have learned, the more I can appreciate the depth of the satire. Just a well-done little gem.

I should end this review now, but if you are in doubt about wh
Chasmom
This is one I don't even lend out unless I am sure it will be appreciated. An all-time favourite in whatever edition (the first edition was left in a taxi cab and lost), an absolute riot I found, oddly enough, in the back of a taxi in a strange city...
Jo
Feb 09, 2011 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A history of England done in a slightly silly format. I think you'll only really get it if you know your history. Which English kids are no longer allowed to learn about in case it offends anybody who lives in England but isn't English.
Karen Floyd
I have to re-read this periodically because it makes me laugh. And, as I have discovered since first reading it some 30 years ago, the more English history you know the funnier it is. It is a book for grinning and laughing out loud over.
Rachel Heffington
Jun 13, 2013 Rachel Heffington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious history of England that effectively wiped out all the random bits of knowledge I had floating about, and replaced them with something infinitely cleverer, if a little lopsided. :)
Matthew
I can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading this book. Every sentence is a wry, British morsel of comic gold for the history nerd.
Richard Thomas
Nov 25, 2014 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour-and-wit
It's still funny after first reading more than 50 years ago. I always liked the exam questions but the whole book is a delight.
Highlyeccentric
I picked this up at the brocanterie the other day and I SHRIEKED WITH LAUGHTER for the rest of the day. I haven't seen a copy of this since I was about 14 - I loved it then, but Horrible Histories were more my jam. Now I have the knowledge base to not only tell pretty reliably if the fact reported is true, bogus, or twisted, but also to get most of the UK culture/geography jokes. This, for instance, is much funnier if you know some UK place names. The test paper is... well, I could probably swap ...more
Robbie Leslie
Apr 08, 2014 Robbie Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the funniest books in the English language (see my reviews of Stella Gibbons' 'Cold Comfort Farm' and J.K.Jerome's 'Three Men in a Boat' for the others!).
It is a perfect pastiche of British (ie English) history as taught to generations of British school kids from the Victorian era until the late 1960's. In point of fact it wasn't that different when I encountered 'History' at secondary school in the early 1980's. That was when my Dad gave me this wonderful book. It made me howl wi
Eastofoz
Oct 12, 2010 Eastofoz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British history buffs
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010, humor
If you don't know your British history inside out I can't see how you'd find this book funny. A lot of things will go way over your head or you'll just not understand at all. What you may know history-wise just isn't all that funny I thought. The "tests" at the end of the sections provide a bit of a chuckle as they seem to poke fun at the way teachers write instructions for tests.

Not for everyone.
Derrian
Nov 26, 2015 Derrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable and humorous look at the history of England.

'Henry was afraid his reign would not be long enough for any more divorces, so he gave them up and executed his wives instead. All except Anne of Cloves, whom he had on approval from Belgium and sent back on discovering that she was really not a queen at all but a 'fat mare with glanders''

A Good Thing.
Jun 21, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
I think that if I knew as much about British history as the average UK schoolchild AND if I didn't find Monty Python to be just ineffably different from what I think is reliably funny, I would have absolutely crapped myself with laughter. As it was, I came away with a number of pleasant "Oh, ha" moments and a conviction that I'm a total dolt history-wise.
Rio (Lynne)
This is a quick read. If you know English history, you will get a small kick out of this book making fun of all the English monarchs. It is very witty and filled with dry humor. The book is about the "big" famous things that happened in history and how many people remember it (which isn't always accurate) like singing the wrong lyrics to a song.
Monica
Apr 11, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
English history fans rejoice! Unless you've read this already; then why didn't you tell me about it? You know those funny histories allegedly written by students ("History calls people Romans because they never stayed in one place for very long.")? It's like that but written on purpose about England. The only real history is what you remember.
lethe
Many jokes went over my head due to lack of knowledge, but the ones I did get were very funny, such as the Anglo-Saxon poetry (p. 9) and 'the Borewore, or, more correctly, Boerwoer (Dutch), which was fought against a very tiresome Dutch tribe called the Bores' (p. 109).
Scott
Dec 01, 2010 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, history, 1930s
Just about the funniest book I've ever read. Imagine Bertie Wooster in the classroom. Helps to have a smattering of English history tucked away somewhere in your noggin. Best read at the bumbling end of a long, hard semester.
Is This Out of Date Now? 7 23 Jun 13, 2015 02:21PM
  • The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody: Great Figures of History Hilariously Humbled
  • Molesworth
  • The Goon Show Scripts
  • Chaucer's Knight
  • The Saxon and Norman Kings
  • Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty, 1485-1917
  • Alfred the Great: Asser's Life of King Alfred and Other Contemporary Sources
  • Behind Closed Doors: At Home in Georgian England
  • The World of Jeeves (Jeeves, #2-4)
  • It All Started with Columbus
  • Roman Britain: A New History
  • Women's Lives in Medieval Europe: A Sourcebook
  • Ask the Past: Pertinent and Impertinent Advice from Yesteryear
  • 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry
  • The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4)
  • A Royal Affair: George III and His Scandalous Siblings
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History
  • The Long Week-End: A Social History of Great Britain, 1918-39
Walter Carruthers Sellar was a Scottish humourist who wrote for Punch. He is best known for the 1930 book 1066 and All That, a tongue-in-cheek guide to "all the history you can remember," which he wrote together with R. J. Yeatman.

Sellar was born at Golspie in Sutherland. He won a scholarship to Fettes College where he was Head Boy in 1917. After serving briefly in World War I as a Second Lieutena
More about W.C. Sellar...

“N.B. – Do not on any account attempt to write on both sides of the paper at once.” 9 likes
“Gladstone .. spent his declining years trying to guess the answer to the Irish Question; unfortunately, whenever he was getting warm, the Irish secretly changed the Question, ...” 6 likes