Start by marking “Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha)” as Want to Read:
Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha)

Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  530 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
This volume focuses on Gandhi's vision of Satyagraha, whereby one appeals to reason and conscience, and puts an end to evil by converting the evil-doer. The book begins with an explanation of Satyagraha, and proceeds with detailed discussions of the self-training and courage necessary for Satyagraha.
Published May 29th 2001 by Dover Publications (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Non-Violent Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Non-Violent Resistance

Rivera Sun
Feb 07, 2013 Rivera Sun rated it it was amazing
This book changed how I thought about everything. I read one section, closed the book, and thought about it for two or three days before continuing on. Ganghi's perspectives on the importance of non-violence, and it's ultimate effect on India (and perhaps the entire world) are worth pondering. This book inspired me to read more about Gandhi and his philosophies, shifting me from a passive believer in non-violence to ardently seeking to understand the principles.
Maughn Gregory
One of the most important books I've read in my life. I'm a better person for having read it and having begun to practice it in small ways.
Zari
Non-violent resistance implies the very opposite of weakness. Defiance combined with non-retaliatory acceptance of repression from one's opponents is active, not passive. It requires strength, and there is nothing automatic or intuitive about the resoluteness required for using non-violent methods in political struggle and the quest for Truth.
"In the secret of my heart I am in perpetual quarrel with God that He should allow such things [as the war] to go on. My non-violence seems almost impotent
بثينة العيسى
Nov 05, 2011 بثينة العيسى rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every body
Now with everything that is happening ; the Arab Spring, the Wall Street Occupation, the World Revolution in general, I find reading Gandhi's Satyagraha extremely crucial for the peoples to make sure that everything goes for the betterment of humanity.

What is really amazing about this book, and I consider it a political one, is that it's mainly dedicated for spirituality! This makes perfect sense. If you are not pure in the soul you cannot really adopt the method of non-violent resistance effec
Nufach
Jan 31, 2014 Nufach rated it really liked it
Mohandes Gandhi, a men who choose non-violent against unarmed, was died in 1948. Everyone remember him as an activist non-war. He dedicated his life for humanity, freedom, and peacefullness.

A war just broke an humanity for social life. No one like attack by another, no one want kill another even with the gun.

As long as the resistance he did, Gandhi never distinguish peoples's religion, difference skin, and their nation. We know that Gandhi was the only one man who againts invaders with fasting.
Shipintbrief
Jun 11, 2015 Shipintbrief rated it really liked it
Охренительный, уникальный какой-то человек. Хотя к жене относился хреново. Любил - но по-своему как-то.
Еще интересно было почитать про то, что вегетерианство, которое распространилось по Европе - основано на учении какого-то индуиского еретика и дурачка (сам Ганди был веганом по хардкору)
"Человек и его поступок - вещи разные. В то время, как хороший поступок заслуживает одобрения, а дурной - осуждения, человек, независимо от того, хороший или дурной поступок он совершил, всегда достоин либо уваж
Tim Franzen
Feb 21, 2008 Tim Franzen rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. In it Gandhi presents a logical arguement for the practicality of non-violent warfare. Waging war using civility, strikes, civil disobediance. Gandhi aims to make citizens grasp the power that they already have. The power to shut down an ecomony in one day.
The power to take the higher ground, to highlight the injustice of their enemy without humiliating them, thus allowing the enemy ego room to shift their position, to change their hearts and minds. Gandhi loved his enem
Michela
Sep 17, 2011 Michela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india
Ho dato a questo libro tre stelline non per le parole di Gandhi ovviamente ma per il saggio iniziale che stava per farmi desistere dal leggere fino in fondo e per il modo in cui sono stati raggruppati i vari testi!Tutto questo ha reso la lettura noiosa e pesante!
Man O'neal
Jan 16, 2011 Man O'neal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I am not neccesarily saying that my mind is on the same plain as that of Mohandas Gandhis, but when reading certain passages from this book I felt as though I was reading my own words. To feel as though an individual like Gandhi agrees with me regarding princıples ,on which I previously felt alone, is comforting. That being saıd, I am hard pressed to invision a person who would not find great insight, or at least food for thought (and lots of it), in this text. Of course, we generally acknowledg ...more
Bradley Farless
Jan 14, 2012 Bradley Farless rated it liked it
I just finished reading The Essential Gandhi, so my rating is affected by a comparison with that book which, I think, is far better.

The selections in this collection of writings is just as meaningful and important, but it's more confusing, because it incorporates writings from people other than Gandhi and it was not always very clear whose words I was reading. The writings also seemed a bit disjointed and in no particular order. Since Gandhi describes Satyagraha as a progressively more refined e
Constance Fastré
May 11, 2015 Constance Fastré rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, essay
Tout le monde connaît le nom de Gandhi et a plus ou moins une idée de ce qu'il prônait: non-violence, jeûner... Mais je suis certaine que beaucoup, comme moi, ne savent pas pourquoi ni comment Gandhi voyait la société actuelle et ce que les hommes pourraient faire pour vivre en harmonie. Dans ce cas, lire ce livre est essentiel: il ne s'agit que d'un tout petit recueil de quelques uns de ses textes, mais j'ai déjà été éblouie et fascinée par les idées qui s'y retrouvaient. Et le mieux, c'est que ...more
Ophélie Camélia
Si je ne mets que deux étoiles à ce livre, ce n'est pas à cause des propos de Gandhi, mais pour la façon dont est présentée cette édition. Ce morcellement de texte, sans réel développement des idées, donne l'impression de lire un dictionnaire de citation, ce qui rend la lecture lourde et ennuyeuse.
Au finale ce livre ravira surement ceux qui veulent se donner bonne conscience en "lisant Gandhi", sans avoir à faire le moindre effort pour plonger réellement dans la pensée de cet homme...
Pour ma pa
Estelle
Jul 26, 2011 Estelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un court condensé de plusieurs textes écrit par Gandhi, son autobiographie notamment. Il y explique ses différentes luttes: contre son propre corps et ses désirs (Brahmacharya, régime alimentaire strict...) mais aussi contre la violence et la folie des hommes (apartheid et système des castes...), notamment en Afrique du Sud où s'est forgé son principe de la lutte non-violente.
Très utile pour un premier aperçu de la manière de pensée et de la vie de Gandhi. (Je vous conseille également le film d'
E.D.E. Bell
Mar 28, 2015 E.D.E. Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: veganism, philosophy
I found this book very interesting and thought-provoking. As a collection of various writing and speech, it is often disjointed, and would have benefited from some additional context from the editors (an updated edition could greatly assist for the modern reader), but this is a very high four star rating from me - if you want to understand Satyagraha, this book explores the topic from many facets, and is a fascinating read.
Alexandra
Feb 08, 2014 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
This is the third time I'm using this book for class. Anyone interested in Gandhi's philosophy of Satyagraha and the application of his philosophy needs to read this book. This is not a book to skim, but one to read with full attention. Many chapters are short, so one chapter a day as a meditation-style reading would be doable.
Etienne02breton
Apr 22, 2015 Etienne02breton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
Ce livre est en fait un résumé d'autres oeuvres majeures sur la vie de Gandhi. Condensé et bien fait, il présente la philosophie et les idées de ce grand homme. Un livre qui fait beaucoup réfléchir et qui faut vraiment la peine d'être lu. Un incontournable!!
Charlotte
Mar 11, 2010 Charlotte marked it as to-read
New York Public Library listed this book as one of the best books on colonialism and its aftermath of the century.
Sekhemty
Dec 21, 2011 Sekhemty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pierpaolo Bonante
Saggio importante per chiunque voglia un raffronto su come vivere la propria vita
Yassine Harek
Apr 22, 2014 Yassine Harek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si ce n'était pas pour le mauvais ordre, parfois, des quotations ça aurait été un 5
Angie
Aug 15, 2007 Angie marked it as to-read
Still in the first few chapters of this book...I got side tracked by Harry Potter...ooooo
Jason Ahmadi
Jul 07, 2008 Jason Ahmadi rated it it was amazing
Satyagraha by Gandhi

Bad ass book that led me up a tree.
Corry Hinckley
May 21, 2012 Corry Hinckley rated it it was amazing
I read it in high school and of course it blew my mind.
Erik09
Jan 11, 2008 Erik09 rated it it was amazing
nice book for present world, I enjoyed reading it
Darine
Nov 19, 2015 Darine rated it it was amazing
An interresting book (y)
Phoebe Seide
Phoebe Seide marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Brittani
Brittani rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Hélène Lamboley
Hélène Lamboley marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Tanji
Tanji marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
  • A Pedagogy for Liberation: Dialogues on Transforming Education
  • Sidereus Nuncius, or The Sidereal Messenger
  • Why Can't We Be Good?
  • Lettere dal carcere
  • The Dalai Lama: A Policy of Kindness: An Anthology of Writings By and About the Dalai Lama
  • What's It All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
  • The Stillborn God: Religion, Politics, and the Modern West
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • Bananas, Beaches and Bases: Making Feminist Sense of International Politics
  • The Power of Nonviolence: Writings by Advocates of Peace
  • The Purity of Desire: 100 Poems of Rumi
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal Gu
More about Mahatma Gandhi...

“Je n'ai connu aucune distinction entre parents et inconnus, entre compatriotes et étrangers, entre blancs et hommes de couleur, entre hindous et Indiens appartenant à d'autres confessions, qu'ils soient musulmans, Parsis, chrétiens ou juifs. Je peux dire que mon coeur a été incapable défaire de telles distinctions” 2 likes
“Je dois dire qu'en dehors des cas où elle m'exposa au ridicule, cette timidité insurmontable n'a jamais tourné à mon désavantage. Bien au contraire, j'ai mis ce handicap à profit en apprenant à devenir concis.
Jadis je cherchais mes mots. Aujourd'hui je prends plaisir à en réduire le nombre.”
1 likes