Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha)

Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This volume focuses on Gandhi's vision of Satyagraha, whereby one appeals to reason and conscience, and puts an end to evil by converting the evil-doer. The book begins with an explanation of Satyagraha, and proceeds with detailed discussions of the self-training and courage necessary for Satyagraha.
Published May 29th 2001 by Dover Publications (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Non-Violent Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Non-Violent Resistance

A People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckLies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen
Social Justice: Books on Racism, Sexism, and Class
105th out of 630 books — 517 voters
Gandhi by William L. ShirerThe Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma GandhiEssential Writings by Mahatma GandhiOn Non-Violence by Mahatma GandhiNon-Violent Resistance by Mahatma Gandhi
A Great Soul
4th out of 29 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Rivera Sun
This book changed how I thought about everything. I read one section, closed the book, and thought about it for two or three days before continuing on. Ganghi's perspectives on the importance of non-violence, and it's ultimate effect on India (and perhaps the entire world) are worth pondering. This book inspired me to read more about Gandhi and his philosophies, shifting me from a passive believer in non-violence to ardently seeking to understand the principles.
بثينة العيسى
Nov 05, 2011 بثينة العيسى rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every body
Now with everything that is happening ; the Arab Spring, the Wall Street Occupation, the World Revolution in general, I find reading Gandhi's Satyagraha extremely crucial for the peoples to make sure that everything goes for the betterment of humanity.

What is really amazing about this book, and I consider it a political one, is that it's mainly dedicated for spirituality! This makes perfect sense. If you are not pure in the soul you cannot really adopt the method of non-violent resistance effec...more
Tim Franzen
This is an amazing book. In it Gandhi presents a logical arguement for the practicality of non-violent warfare. Waging war using civility, strikes, civil disobediance. Gandhi aims to make citizens grasp the power that they already have. The power to shut down an ecomony in one day.
The power to take the higher ground, to highlight the injustice of their enemy without humiliating them, thus allowing the enemy ego room to shift their position, to change their hearts and minds. Gandhi loved his enem...more
Nufach
Mohandes Gandhi, a men who choose non-violent against unarmed, was died in 1948. Everyone remember him as an activist non-war. He dedicated his life for humanity, freedom, and peacefullness.

A war just broke an humanity for social life. No one like attack by another, no one want kill another even with the gun.

As long as the resistance he did, Gandhi never distinguish peoples's religion, difference skin, and their nation. We know that Gandhi was the only one man who againts invaders with fasting....more
Maughn Gregory
One of the most important books I've read in my life. I'm a better person for having read it and having begun to practice it in small ways.
Man O'neal
I am not neccesarily saying that my mind is on the same plain as that of Mohandas Gandhi´s, but when reading certain passages from this book I felt as though I was reading my own words. To feel as though an individual like Gandhi agrees with me regarding princıples ,on which I previously felt alone, is comforting. That being saıd, I am hard pressed to invision a person who would not find great insight, or at least food for thought (and lots of it), in this text. Of course, we generally acknowled...more
Bradley Farless
I just finished reading The Essential Gandhi, so my rating is affected by a comparison with that book which, I think, is far better.

The selections in this collection of writings is just as meaningful and important, but it's more confusing, because it incorporates writings from people other than Gandhi and it was not always very clear whose words I was reading. The writings also seemed a bit disjointed and in no particular order. Since Gandhi describes Satyagraha as a progressively more refined e...more
Alexandra
This is the third time I'm using this book for class. Anyone interested in Gandhi's philosophy of Satyagraha and the application of his philosophy needs to read this book. This is not a book to skim, but one to read with full attention. Many chapters are short, so one chapter a day as a meditation-style reading would be doable.
Shipintbrief
Охренительный, уникальный какой-то человек. Хотя к жене относился хреново. Любил - но по-своему как-то.
Еще интересно было почитать про то, что вегетерианство, которое распространилось по Европе - основано на учении какого-то индуиского еретика и дурачка (сам Ганди был веганом по хардкору)
"Человек и его поступок - вещи разные. В то время, как хороший поступок заслуживает одобрения, а дурной - осуждения, человек, независимо от того, хороший или дурной поступок он совершил, всегда достоин либо уваж...more
Estelle
Un court condensé de plusieurs textes écrit par Gandhi, son autobiographie notamment. Il y explique ses différentes luttes: contre son propre corps et ses désirs (Brahmacharya, régime alimentaire strict...) mais aussi contre la violence et la folie des hommes (apartheid et système des castes...), notamment en Afrique du Sud où s'est forgé son principe de la lutte non-violente.
Très utile pour un premier aperçu de la manière de pensée et de la vie de Gandhi. (Je vous conseille également le film d'...more
Yassine Harek
Si ce n'était pas pour le mauvais ordre, parfois, des quotations ça aurait été un 5
Michela
Ho dato a questo libro tre stelline non per le parole di Gandhi ovviamente ma per il saggio iniziale che stava per farmi desistere dal leggere fino in fondo e per il modo in cui sono stati raggruppati i vari testi!Tutto questo ha reso la lettura noiosa e pesante!
Charlotte
Mar 11, 2010 Charlotte marked it as to-read
New York Public Library listed this book as one of the best books on colonialism and its aftermath of the century.
Angie
Aug 15, 2007 Angie marked it as to-read
Still in the first few chapters of this book...I got side tracked by Harry Potter...ooooo
Jason Ahmadi
Satyagraha by Gandhi

Bad ass book that led me up a tree.
Corry Hinckley
I read it in high school and of course it blew my mind.
Erik09
nice book for present world, I enjoyed reading it
Mohit
Mohit marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Aug 13, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Igor
Igor marked it as to-read
Sephile Arthurton
Sephile Arthurton marked it as to-read
Hyder
Hyder marked it as to-read
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Lovebooks
Lovebooks marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Prashant Rai
Prashant Rai marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
  • We Make the Road by Walking: Conversations on Education and Social Change
  • Education for Critical Consciousness (Impacts)
  • Black Power: The Politics of Liberation
  • They Take Our Jobs!: And 20 Other Myths about Immigration
  • What's It All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
  • A Force More Powerful: A Century of Non-Violent Conflict
  • Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World
  • When I Am Playing with My Cat, How Do I Know That She Is Not Playing with Me?: Montaigne and Being in Touch with Life
  • At Canaan's Edge: America in the King Years 1965-68
  • Voltaire: Treatise on Tolerance
  • Dos Delitos e das Penas
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
  • All Life Is Problem Solving
  • The Communist Manifesto and Other Revolutionary Writings: Marx, Marat, Paine, Mao Tse-Tung, Gandhi, and Others
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal Gu...more
More about Mahatma Gandhi...
The Story of My Experiments With Truth The Essential Gandhi: An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas On Non-Violence Hind Swaraj and Other Writings  Bhagavad Gita According to Gandhi(tr)

“Je dois dire qu'en dehors des cas où elle m'exposa au ridicule, cette timidité insurmontable n'a jamais tourné à mon désavantage. Bien au contraire, j'ai mis ce handicap à profit en apprenant à devenir concis.
Jadis je cherchais mes mots. Aujourd'hui je prends plaisir à en réduire le nombre.”
1 likes
“L'humanité court à son suicide si le monde n'adopte pas la non-violence.” 1 likes