Essential Writings (Modern Spiritual Masters)

Essential Writings (Modern Spiritual Masters)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948) is widely acknowledged as one of the great souls of the twentieth century. As the leader of the Indian independence movement he defined the modem practice of nonviolence, wedding an ethic of love to a practical method of social struggle. In the end, however, his philosophy was rooted in a deep spirituality. For Gandhi the struggle for peace and...more
Published September 15th 2002 by Orbis Books (first published June 1970)

Jiwoonglee
This is the book that all the people related to goverment and education must read. Religious part would be bit specific but it was great time to enjoy and get to know about him by reading this comprehensive book. Many thanks to the editor ;)
Dan Smee
Mahatma Gandhi, or the Great Soul, remains known some 62 years after his death by assassination for his steadfast forwarding of non-violence as a political and spiritual movement, and accredited with gaining India’s independence from British rule in 1947. Gandhi’s legacy is rooted in his moral authority by acting in concert with his beliefs. John Dear in the introduction to Mohandas Gandi Essential Writings describes Gandhi as an “apostle of non-violence” Though considered an agitator by the Bri...more
Tommy
Mar 10, 2008 Tommy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: social revolutionaries (note: do not read this for religious insight)
Gets 5 star for social change and revolutionary commentary but gets 1 star for religious commentary.

Gandhi's teaching of nonviolence is amazing and world changing and served as a great example for men like Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela and for those ideas I give him all the credit in the world. I also applaud his well thought out opinion on Jews in Palestine. I think he changed the course of history in a great way.

Here is where I think he was wrong/misguided. Not condemning Hitler. H...more
Ben Siems
I would argue that the editor/narrator of this book has infused too much of himself into it, and would have been better served keeping his presence to a minimum. Nevertheless, I can hardly think of better writings to read in these tumultuous times than those of the Mahatma, and this book presents a great collection of them. Some day, I might write a length review titled, 'Arguing with the Mahatma,' in which I take up some of the areas where I dare to disagree with one of the greatest thinkers of...more
Maureen
Aug 31, 2009 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maureen by: UMW
Shelves: umw-booklist
An overview of Gandhi's writings, this book samples every period of his life. The pieces vary in length and subject matter, and include his time in Britain, South Africa, and India. What does not vary is Gandhi's voice: he speaks out against oppression in a variety of situations. For anyone wanting an introduction to Gandhi's work, this is an edifying collection, and a good place to begin.
Maxwell Heath
I only read the first two sections. I liked reading about Gandhi's influences but had some issues with his ideas about how individuals should live there lives, and I don't think I have much interest in reading more since this was all I needed for the class.
Valerie
This was a disappointing read and in all truthfulness, I never finished it. Once I started it I realized that it was Gandhi's autobiography I thought I'd checked out. I look forward to the autobiography, but this book was too choppy for my taste.
Ryan
Provides a wealth of food for thought but clearly shows the agenda of the person selecting the writings, placing a heavy emphasis on particular topics while I would have appreciated a more even handed approach.
Melissa
I will always be "currently reading" this book. This man was a prophet. We all have something to learn from him and his teachings of non-violence.. .especially our own country's leaders.
Megan
This is a great book! Full of many words of wisdom. I checked it out of the library but I almost wish I owned it because its the kind of book that one can read and read again...
Heidi
I found this book interesting in it's ability to show us a Gandhi I was not as familiar with as I thought.
Annie Oey
Read many years ago. On my list to read again soon...
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Zaid Hashmi
Zaid Hashmi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Trina
Trina marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Evelyn M
Evelyn M marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Sam Dennis
Sam Dennis is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Tyler2609
Tyler2609 marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Andreia
Andreia marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Kannababu
Kannababu marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Jaanhavi P
Jaanhavi P marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Som Malik
Som Malik marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Deb Hundt
Deb Hundt marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jasmine Lobo
Jasmine Lobo marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition
  • Marx's General: The Revolutionary Life of Friedrich Engels
  • Provincializing Europe: Postcolonial Thought and Historical Difference
  • Manhood
  • Experience and Nature
  • Nothing in This Book Is True, But It's Exactly How Things Are: The Esoteric Meaning of the Monuments on Mars
  • A Critique of Postcolonial Reason: Toward a History of the Vanishing Present
  • How to Be Gay
  • Gandhi the Man: How One Man Changed Himself to Change the World
  • The Portable Enlightenment Reader
  • The Spirit of Zen
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal Gu...more
More about Mahatma Gandhi...
The Story of My Experiments With Truth The Essential Gandhi: An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas On Non-Violence Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha) Hind Swaraj and Other Writings

“Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him. Will he gain anything by it? Will it restore him to a control over his own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?” 5 likes