Start by marking “T.S. Eliot ” as Want to Read:
T.S. Eliot

T.S. Eliot

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In the twentieth century, no Anglo-American poet or critic has matched the influence of Thomas Stearns Eliot. Despite his political and religious conservatism, Eliot was among the most innovative of the literary modernists, a figure to be reckoned with by admirers and critics alike. In his Whitbread Prize-winning biography, Peter Ackroyd delves into the work and mind of a ...more
Published 1985 by Frassinelli (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about T.S. Eliot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about T.S. Eliot

Andrew
Oct 04, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hardly ever read poetry, but for some reason T.S. Eliot's poetry speaks to me. Perhaps it's because, like Eliot, I used to work at a bank in the City of London, and the feeling of his poems is the exact feeling I had as a 'Hollow Man' looking at the masses of other Hollow Men crossing London Bridge to the Waste Land of the City. "I had not thought death had undone so many" - lines like that just express so much for me.

So I was happy to be able to borrow this biography of T.S. Eliot from my nei
Philip Lane
Oct 22, 2015 Philip Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fascinated by this biography of T.S.Eliot as I knew very little about him but had enjoyed his poetry as a teenager. I believe that Ackroyd writes in a very straight forward style and occasionally makes his own assumptions but these are clearly marked as his own views. The problem with the book perhaps is not that of the author but that of the subject. It emerges in the book that there are a lot of unanswered questions and contradictions regarding Eliot's feelings, beliefs and emotions. It ...more
Larry
May 20, 2012 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About one third of the way into this difficult biography I was about to abandon it due to frustration, but I am very glad that I did not. Let me say at the offset that my frustration arose from the constraints placed on the author (Peter Ackroyd) being forbidden to quote T S Eliot’s published works which at times made a good deal of the book, especially the early years when his poetry was more dense, a challenge in that his literary criticism becomes so dense as to be unintelligible without the ...more
Suzanne
Aug 01, 2016 Suzanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A polished account of a sad and mostly lonely life. Although this is definitely a literary biography with a sustained effort to link the works and the life, it remains unclear why Eliot wrote what he did when he did. While there is clearly respect and even sympathy from the biographer, one has a sneaking feeling that Ackroyd cannot bring himself to empathize with his subject. The end result is a comprehensive but rather clinical account of the man and his works.
Jordan
Aug 18, 2014 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview of a great poet and a bad man
J. Alfred
Dec 31, 2014 J. Alfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliot is an interesting guy and this is a strong biography. Delivers what one asks!
Robert Dodds
Jun 05, 2012 Robert Dodds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very convincing portrait of a complex man, well supported by references to letters and other evidence. As in Peter Ackroyd's equally excellent biography of Charles Dickens, the reader is drawn into a compelling narrative. In the case of T.S.Eliot, the narrative has an unexpected - and true - final twist worthy of a novel, which mitigates some of the gloom that the poet seems to have experienced throughout his life.
Caoileann
May 24, 2007 Caoileann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sensitive and insightful exploration of the live of the great T. S. Eliot. Rich with genuine concern and regard for the subject whilst retaining a modesty in its penmanship. Like having a fascinating and illuminating chat with a more eloquent and intelligent buddy about a mutually loved writer. This Peter Achroyd seems very charming and skilled.
Steve
Aug 15, 2015 Steve rated it it was ok
Mid 2. Given the obstacles Ackroyd faced with having access to the Eliot estate denied, this is an admirable attempt to exploit secondary sources to reveal the poet as an individual man. However, what this reader sought was a greater link between the man and his body of work, and true analysis of the latter was sadly absent.
Noah
May 02, 2007 Noah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eliot_studies
Ackroyd's was the first comprehensive account of Eliot's life. Though it has been largely surpassed by Gordon's biography, it was quite a revelation when it first came out, as it offered the first clear glimpse behind Eliot's carefully constructed and maintained facade.
Maureen
Dec 16, 2008 Maureen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I liked his biography of Thomas More a lot, but this one was, well, boring. Good for people seriously interested in the poet, not so good for people interested learning about the culture of a time period through the life of one individual.
Sydney
Jul 16, 2009 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This book is extremely well written and informative. The subject matter, Eliot and his life, are what is heavy and sad and difficult. But it gives you an excellent sense of what a complicated man he was.
Stuart Field
I love Eliot and I love Ackroyd, but this is a little flat. Mainly because Eliot's estate placed restrictions on quoting the poetry! Still very interesting, but into as fascinating as it could have been.
Andrew Darling
May 25, 2015 Andrew Darling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superb. Makes sense of so much that was opaque. Beautifully written, too.
Stosh Walsh
Jan 04, 2013 Stosh Walsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The definitive biography.
Quin O'Sullivan
Quin O'Sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Sarah Marchant
Sarah Marchant marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Carlos
Carlos is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Roland Squire
Roland Squire marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Salt344
Salt344 rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Pilar Ballestin
Pilar Ballestin marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Maria Kr.
Maria Kr. marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
John Spalding
John Spalding rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Truls Krane
Truls Krane marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 13, 2016
T
T marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Victoriakor
Victoriakor marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
  • Bruce Chatwin
  • Rimbaud: The Double Life of a Rebel
  • Poetry in the Making: An Anthology
  • China Hands: Nine Decades of Adventure, Espionage, and Diplomacy in Asia
  • The Age of Louis XIV (The Story of Civilization, #8)
Peter Ackroyd CBE is an English novelist and biographer with a particular interest in the history and culture of London.

Peter Ackroyd's mother worked in the personnel department of an engineering firm, his father having left the family home when Ackroyd was a baby. He was reading newspapers by the age of 5 and, at 9, wrote a play about Guy Fawkes. Reputedly, he first realized he was gay at the age
More about Peter Ackroyd...