Start by marking “B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D., #4-5,12)” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D., #4-5,12)

B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D. #4-5,12)

In 2001, Hellboy quit the B.P.R.D., leaving Abe Sapien to lead Liz Sherman and a bizarre roster of special agents, defending the world from occult threats, including the growing menace of the frog army, first spotted in Hellboy: Seed of Destruction.

Mike Mignola and Dark Horse present the complete Plague of Frogs saga, from Hollow Earth to The King of Fear. This second vol
Hardcover, First Edition, 480 pages
Published August 17th 2011 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D.

Nicolo Yu
Mar 16, 2012 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
Mirrored on my personal comics blog The Raving Asgardian

These Dark Horse B. P. R. D. hardcover volumes are great. It collects the miniseries, one-shots and the various stories that used to MySpace exclusives. The way these stories are collected and arranged provides a greater sense of continuity than the regular trade paperbacks. These hardbacks are very handy, sparing BPRD fans like me from having to track down back issues and non-existing links.

The BPRD as a concept allowed its former lead sta
Andrew
May 30, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the omnibus editions collecting together a number titles from the BPRD series and linking them together for the Plague of Frogs series.

The book is an impressive volume number over 400 pages and collecting a number of the titles together (and all their various instalments) in to one massive book charting the events of the BPRD.

As with the previous book the artwork is highly stylised and personally all the better for it (although there are couple of entries which are penned
Arlomisty
Jan 05, 2013 Arlomisty rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great volume in the BPRD graphic novels... this is the second time I've read this and I like it even more than the first. creepy and a little gory, but very well done... now on to volume 3!
Orrin Grey
Sep 01, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
OK, I've said before, many times, that I tend to like the B.P.R.D. comics least among the Mignolaverse titles. This isn't intended as a knock against them. One of the great things about the expanding Mignolaverse is how the different titles have different strengths and do different things, and the B.P.R.D. title just happens to be the one that is most like a mainstream team book or TV series, with long arcs and incredibly big action sequences, and so on, while I tend to prefer the smaller, quiet ...more
Roybot
Mar 21, 2016 Roybot rated it it was amazing
BPRD--the Hellboy spinoff about a group of government agents tasked with knocking around the things that go bump in the night--has always been an interesting book, but it really comes into its own in this volume. The first volume, made up of a variety of material spread out over a large span of time, spent a lot of time figuring out creative direction and what the book was really going to be. This volume, which features a more stable creative team, has its footing secure and launches deep into t ...more
Jeb
Sep 07, 2015 Jeb rated it it was amazing
The ongoing BPRD series quickly established itself as being firmly part of the same universe as Hellboy but operating quite differently than the book it spun off from. By this second volume, the creative team behind BPRD has really come into its own, delivering a book that is well balanced between adventure/fighting and humor/emotion. Diving deeper into the story of Abe Sapien's origins and turning Roger the Homunculus into a break out character, Mignola, Arcudi, Davis, and the many guest artist ...more
Melissa McShane
Aug 07, 2012 Melissa McShane rated it it was amazing
My favorite thing about these hardcover editions is that it provides so much more continuity than reading the original trade paperbacks. That said, the *lack* of continuity in artwork is hard to miss here. It's not that I dislike the interim(?) artists, because they're all independently good; it's just that Guy Davis's style is so well suited to Mignola's story (not to mention being very similar to his art) that I was more dissatisfied by the multiple-artist thing than I was in volume 2. The sto ...more
Jesse
Mar 16, 2012 Jesse rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Hellboy and Charles Stross's Laundry
Excellent stuff here. Abe gets more possible revelations about his origin, or maybe just some interesting red herring. The team gets a new leader, a tough talking ex-Marine who was dead briefly but it didn't take. The team gets a new HQ stuffed full of dark super occult science. We come to something of a head with the frogs, and Roger gets some more characters expansion. Its a pretty damned good book full of everything you'd expect from B.P.R.D. and more. If you liked Hellboy then go check out t ...more
logankstewart
Aug 14, 2013 logankstewart rated it really liked it
The second volume of BPRD continues the "Plague of Frog" arc, collecting TPB 4, 5, and 12. These three books are linked by some tight storytelling and some beautiful illustrations. I particularly loved the illustrations from "The Dead."

Horrible, man-eating frogs are still rising, and the BPRD is struggling to keep up. There's plenty of action, some great creepy illustrations, some humor, and some seriousness, too. These hardbound collections are gorgeous.

I liked this volume a lot, and it's got m
Freder
Aug 22, 2016 Freder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If THE X-FILES had been better planned (instead of just making it up as they went along) and had never had a bad episode, then it might have approached the quality of the B.P.R.D. books, part of Mike Mignola's HELLBOY universe and every bit as good as Hellboy's solo adventures. Actually, it's THE X-FILES crossed with SHIELD, and better than either of them have been for a long time. Great characters, compelling situations, carefully thought-out and beautifully presented (the artwork by Guy Davis ...more
Hans
Mar 12, 2016 Hans rated it it was amazing
First: How does B.P.R.D. keep recruiting the agents (aka canon fodder)? Seriously, they need to start hiring in bulk if things keep up this way.

Second: Don't read this. It's a spoiler: (view spoiler)

Great story arc packed with great moments. Looking forward to rea
Thomas
Dec 28, 2012 Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This second omnibus collection is where Arcudi and Davis really starts to make Mignola's setup their own. This makes for a more purposeful story and better pacing. Lots of frogs and a great, personal Abraham-story (thought out by Mignola).

Unfortunately the book is broken up midway by a collection of one shot stories with different artists (one by Peter Snejbjerg) - they're not bad, but they do disrupt the flow and I will look forward to skipping them on my next read-through.

Again, a strong 3 sta
Brandon St Mark
This volume was amazing. I think Liz, Kraus, and Rodger have all reached Abe's level of favoritism with me (Heck, I think they are all level with Hellboy). This series is really influencing my creativity/imagination, and I think everybody should at least check out this series, even if they have no interest in Hellboy, because it is very well written and action-packed (not to mention that it has really interesting character development)!
Cheese
Jan 02, 2015 Cheese rated it it was amazing
These books are incredible. The fact that Hellboy isn't in them makes the characters more definable.

I do miss Hellboy, but Liz, Abe, Roger and Johann are excellent individuals.

The continued story of the plague of frogs is excellent and always delivers.

Another thing I do love though is the artwork. In this volume some of the artists do change but it all pans out. The inking colour scheme is great as well.

Every time I pick it up I can not put it down.

Love love love these!
Livinginnagoya
Sep 14, 2015 Livinginnagoya rated it liked it
Reading The Plague of Frogs Saga almost ruined the Mignolaverse for me.

I know it's a comic but John Arcudi's writing is simply rubbish. The dialogue sounds as though it was written by a 14 year old.

The artwork is also pants. All the characters have exactly the same face. The only way to differentiate between characters is to look at hair color...

Compared to Hellboy and Witchfinder, The plague of frogs and the whole BPRD branch of the Mignolaverse seems to be just a cash cow for Mignola!
Jason
Post-Hellboy BPRD characters and events really start to come together in the amazing second volume of Plague of Frogs. The Hellboy Universe has got to be one of the most creative, intricate, and compelling universes in comics. In this volume I loved the design of Katha-Hem. So unique! I'm already partway through volume 3!!
J
Jan 05, 2016 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Definitely an improvement over the previous volume, which can be seen as Mignola's collaborators getting their bearings on character and the larger plot developments, but it felt like a significant improvement over the characters, their emotional strains and challenges, and how they work as a team. Good fun and a quick read.
Lord Humungus
Sep 19, 2012 Lord Humungus rated it liked it

A top-notch epic story arc from Mignola, Arcudi and Davis. Feels like Lovecraft, mixed with Ghostbusters, mixed with X-Men.

I loved the extra material at the end, showing original sketches and designs.

I thoroughly enjoyed read this; I don't know how anyone could have waited between the issues as they were published!
Aaron
Sep 15, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Utterly brilliant. Every time I put this down I couldn't wait to pick it back up. Every moment bursts with originality. It's rare that I read anything with such a clear, unique vision. The humor is great, the horror is tense, and the story constantly moves forward in unexpected ways without ever feeling contrived. Can't recommend this enough.
Brian
Feb 16, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2012-completed
The number one reason I dig Hellboy is the art. Sadly, B.P.R.D. doesn't have Mignolla's art. The number 2 reason is the crazy mythology, and thankfully, that's here in spades. The story lines are bette than anything Hellboy was doing doing at the time and while it's not quite as good as the first series, it provides an excellent wrap-up to the Frogs story.
Leif
Jan 15, 2016 Leif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-read
I continue to enjoy this cool series. Really moves from just great to something pretty exceptional...not what I would have expected given the medium or the subject matter. I easily enjoy these books as much as the Hellboy books they are contemporaneous with.
Ben
Jul 19, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
The further adventures of the Bureau continue to deliver the supernatural mystery and action associated with Mignola's universe. The characterization is pretty good (although there could perhaps be a bit more of it), and the "Frogs" storyline builds to an epic conclusion.
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Nov 10, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it really liked it
B.P.R.D. continues to be great and, in general, much more enjoyable than Hellboy. This volume really feels like the story is starting to shape up, as opposed to the first one, which was basically just a collection of pretty good short stories. Excited to see what comes next!
J.
Aug 14, 2013 J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The Dead and the The Black Flame are both excellent. The middle book - War on Frogs - suffers from a little too much variation. Some of the artists are great, and some are less so. Also, not all the stories there are equally good. But anyway, BPRD is a great series, and this is a great book.
William Thomas
Oct 18, 2011 William Thomas rated it it was amazing
There isn't much to say about this collection, other than it proves that Mike Mignola doesn't need Hellboy to masterfully craft a devilishly entertaining and brilliant story while adding on to his own mythos.
Julio
Mar 06, 2013 Julio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Mignola and Arcudi expand on the Hellboy universe in wonderfully twisted and engaging ways through the exploits of the BPRD. Great characters, deep mysterious mythology and a continuous sense of wonder and dread all add up to a great read.
Laurielle Laurielle
Feb 26, 2015 Laurielle Laurielle rated it really liked it
Hellboy sin Hellboy... y casi sin Abe, Roger y Liz. Queda el apuntador, preguntándose qué hace ahí xD

Eso sí, espectacular la habilidad de Guy Davis para el gore raruno y los bichos terroríficos. Maemía.
Lord
Sep 05, 2013 Lord rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
Improvement over the first volume in terms of storytelling but I wonder if they cannot afford a better artist than Guy Davis. His art is hasty and ugly.
Andres
Mar 19, 2015 Andres rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mejora al final. Pensé que iba a ser lo último que leía de B.P.R.D. pero le daré una oportunidad al siguiente de estos volúmenes gordos.
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Casanova, Volume 2: Gula
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • The Animal Man Omnibus
  • Astro City, Vol. 6: The Dark Age, Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 004 (Pluto, #4)
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Preacher, Book 3
  • Revival Deluxe Collection Volume 1
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • Uncanny X-Force, by Rick Remender: Omnibus
  • Wasteland: The Apocalyptic Edition, Volume 1
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 5: The Black Flame (B.P.R.D., #5)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 6: The Universal Machine (B.P.R.D., #6)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 10: The Warning (B.P.R.D., #10)