Start by marking “B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D., #4-5,12)” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D., #4-5,12)

B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D. #4-5,12)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In 2001, Hellboy quit the B.P.R.D., leaving Abe Sapien to lead Liz Sherman and a bizarre roster of special agents, defending the world from occult threats, including the growing menace of the frog army, first spotted in Hellboy: Seed of Destruction.

Mike Mignola and Dark Horse present the complete Plague of Frogs saga, from Hollow Earth to The King of Fear. This second vol
Hardcover, First Edition, 480 pages
Published August 17th 2011 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D.

Nicolo Yu
Mirrored on my personal comics blog The Raving Asgardian

These Dark Horse B. P. R. D. hardcover volumes are great. It collects the miniseries, one-shots and the various stories that used to MySpace exclusives. The way these stories are collected and arranged provides a greater sense of continuity than the regular trade paperbacks. These hardbacks are very handy, sparing BPRD fans like me from having to track down back issues and non-existing links.

The BPRD as a concept allowed its former lead sta
Orrin Grey
OK, I've said before, many times, that I tend to like the B.P.R.D. comics least among the Mignolaverse titles. This isn't intended as a knock against them. One of the great things about the expanding Mignolaverse is how the different titles have different strengths and do different things, and the B.P.R.D. title just happens to be the one that is most like a mainstream team book or TV series, with long arcs and incredibly big action sequences, and so on, while I tend to prefer the smaller, quiet ...more
Kathryn
I finished this last night, and I've been mulling over it since.

Like the first omnibus, it's a collection of three trades that revolve around the B.P.R.D. (Bureau for Paranormal Research & Defense) and their struggles to understand and contain a plague which turns people into 'frog monsters'. Once again it doesn't contain Hellboy as a major character, and in fact he's barely even referred to in this set, further distancing the two branches of the universe. The rest of the cast (Liz, Abe, Rog
Melissa Proffitt
My favorite thing about these hardcover editions is that it provides so much more continuity than reading the original trade paperbacks. That said, the *lack* of continuity in artwork is hard to miss here. It's not that I dislike the interim(?) artists, because they're all independently good; it's just that Guy Davis's style is so well suited to Mignola's story (not to mention being very similar to his art) that I was more dissatisfied by the multiple-artist thing than I was in volume 2. The sto ...more
logankstewart
The second volume of BPRD continues the "Plague of Frog" arc, collecting TPB 4, 5, and 12. These three books are linked by some tight storytelling and some beautiful illustrations. I particularly loved the illustrations from "The Dead."

Horrible, man-eating frogs are still rising, and the BPRD is struggling to keep up. There's plenty of action, some great creepy illustrations, some humor, and some seriousness, too. These hardbound collections are gorgeous.

I liked this volume a lot, and it's got m
Jesse
Mar 16, 2012 Jesse rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Hellboy and Charles Stross's Laundry
Excellent stuff here. Abe gets more possible revelations about his origin, or maybe just some interesting red herring. The team gets a new leader, a tough talking ex-Marine who was dead briefly but it didn't take. The team gets a new HQ stuffed full of dark super occult science. We come to something of a head with the frogs, and Roger gets some more characters expansion. Its a pretty damned good book full of everything you'd expect from B.P.R.D. and more. If you liked Hellboy then go check out t ...more
Thomas
This second omnibus collection is where Arcudi and Davis really starts to make Mignola's setup their own. This makes for a more purposeful story and better pacing. Lots of frogs and a great, personal Abraham-story (thought out by Mignola).

Unfortunately the book is broken up midway by a collection of one shot stories with different artists (one by Peter Snejbjerg) - they're not bad, but they do disrupt the flow and I will look forward to skipping them on my next read-through.

Again, a strong 3 sta
Brian
The number one reason I dig Hellboy is the art. Sadly, B.P.R.D. doesn't have Mignolla's art. The number 2 reason is the crazy mythology, and thankfully, that's here in spades. The story lines are bette than anything Hellboy was doing doing at the time and while it's not quite as good as the first series, it provides an excellent wrap-up to the Frogs story.
Aaron
Utterly brilliant. Every time I put this down I couldn't wait to pick it back up. Every moment bursts with originality. It's rare that I read anything with such a clear, unique vision. The humor is great, the horror is tense, and the story constantly moves forward in unexpected ways without ever feeling contrived. Can't recommend this enough.
Lord Humungus

A top-notch epic story arc from Mignola, Arcudi and Davis. Feels like Lovecraft, mixed with Ghostbusters, mixed with X-Men.

I loved the extra material at the end, showing original sketches and designs.

I thoroughly enjoyed read this; I don't know how anyone could have waited between the issues as they were published!
Julio
Mignola and Arcudi expand on the Hellboy universe in wonderfully twisted and engaging ways through the exploits of the BPRD. Great characters, deep mysterious mythology and a continuous sense of wonder and dread all add up to a great read.
William Thomas
There isn't much to say about this collection, other than it proves that Mike Mignola doesn't need Hellboy to masterfully craft a devilishly entertaining and brilliant story while adding on to his own mythos.
Lord
Improvement over the first volume in terms of storytelling but I wonder if they cannot afford a better artist than Guy Davis. His art is hasty and ugly.
Erin Elizabeth
Some really good stuff with Roger. Great pacing, I want Collection 3 now, but I must wait.
Jenica Rogers
*sob* such a series of crushing arcs, and SO GOOD. Now. Volume 3, please?
Phil
One of my favorite series in omnibus form. Love it!!!
Jason Ragle
These books are simply great comics.
George
This is a great series.
Ehedei
Ehedei marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • Preacher, Book 2
  • MIND MGMT, Vol. 1: The Manager
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 5: The Black Flame (B.P.R.D., #5)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 6: The Universal Machine (B.P.R.D., #6)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 10: The Warning (B.P.R.D., #10)
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)