Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Address Unknown” as Want to Read:
Address Unknown
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Address Unknown

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  3,563 Ratings  ·  516 Reviews
A rediscovered classic, originally published in 1938 --

and now an international bestseller.

When it first appeared in Story magazine in 1938, Address Unknown became an immediate social phenomenon and literary sensation. Published in book form a year later and banned in Nazi Germany, it garnered high praise in the United States and much of Europe.

A series of fictional letter

...more
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2002 by Souvenir Press (first published 1938)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Address Unknown, please sign up.

Popular Answered Questions

Angie Fehl Griselle is a stage actress whose show takes her across Europe. Griselle is Jewish and at one point her production takes her to Berlin, perhaps one of…moreGriselle is a stage actress whose show takes her across Europe. Griselle is Jewish and at one point her production takes her to Berlin, perhaps one of the most unsafe places for a Jew during World War 2, what with Nazi occupied Germany. (less)
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Flannery
Jun 01, 2012 Flannery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Flannery by: Elizabeth
I was browsing Goodreads the other day and a short review came through my feed. I'd never heard of the book before but Elizabeth rarely gives books five stars so I was intrigued. I immediately put it on hold at my library and read it as soon as I got home today. I was skeptical about the claims made about the book, including the front cover quote from the New York Times Review:

"This modern story is perfection itself. It is the most effective indictment of Nazism to appear in fiction."

Address Unk
...more
Dem
Jan 01, 2012 Dem rated it it was amazing
Address Unknown by Kressman Taylor is an amazing little book.

The narrative consists of a series of letters exchanged between Max, a Jewish man living in California, and Martin, his German business partner and close family friend, recently returned to Germany; and this correspondence takes place shortly before Hitler takes power.

I noted that I had added this book to my"To Read" list on Jan 01st 2012 and only got around to reading it on Dec 30th 2012. Boy! did I leave the best wine until last. T
...more
Zeinab
Mar 12, 2015 Zeinab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ایّام فرجههاست و، بر ما واجب است که در مقابل برخی اراجیفی که مجبوریم وارد مغزمان کنیم و همانجا نگهداریم، چیزهای خوب هم بخوانیم.

و این کتاب، انتخاب درستی نبود برای این منظور. بیشتر از این بود. شگفتزدهام کرد، و پایانش، حواسم را در خودش نگهداشت. چهارتا نامۀ کوتاه و شخصیّتپردازی و توصیف موقعیّت به این خوبی..

و نکتۀ خیلی جالب، تاریخ نوشتهشدن داستان است. کتاب، پیش از آغاز جنگ جهانی دوم، یعنی وقتی نوشته شده که هیتلر هنوز ترکتازی میکرده و تقریباً در اوج قدرت بوده. اگر فضا و تاریخ را دریابید، میفهمید که دا
...more
Sparrow
One of my supervising attorneys is 88 years old. He basically helped invent tort law in Oregon and has been influential in anything you can name. The governor comes by to get his opinion on judicial appointments and whatnot, and in his prime, he was called "the prince of torts."

In my first week of working for him, he called me into his office. When he was 14 years old, he told me, the young men of military age had all gone off to war. This left the boys like him and the old men to work in the l
...more
Claudia
Jan 16, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words can be magical or fatal
(Englisch review following behind this.)

Zwei beste Freunde , Max und Martin, betreiben in San Francisco eine Kunstgalerie. Martin möchte 1932 mit Frau und Kindern zurück nach Europa. Max, der Jude, soll inzwischen die Galerie weiterführen.
Die beiden wollen in brieflichem Kontakt bleiben und schwören sich ewige Freundschaft.
Martin erhält einen guten Job in einer großen Bank in München, sein Sohn lernt einen linientreuen Freund kennen. Nach und nach gehen immer mehr N
...more
Jaksen
Jun 24, 2016 Jaksen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful short story. Read it in half an hour, then went back to re-read most of it. Elegantly done as a series of short letters with a brutal twist - for both writers.

It's the story of two friends in America, one Jewish, one German, who own a gallery together. When the German returns home in 1933 things happen, relationships alter, and history overlays and rewrites friendships in unthinkable ways.

When I questioned my mother about this time period - she was born in 1923 - she said they didn't t
...more
Homa Sharifmousavi
داستانی کوتاه و روان و خوشخوان و جذاب با همون مضامین داستان"دوست بازیافته"که توسط نامه هایی بین دو دوست،یکی یهودی و دیگری غیریهودی،یکی ساکن آلمان و دیگری ساکن امریکا که گالری مشترکی در امریکا دارند،روایت میشه.
هردو کتاب "دوست بازیافته" و "گیرنده شناخته نشد" کوچک و کوتاه و کم حجم اند اما درد و غمی که منتقل میکنن به طرز وحشتناکی بزرگه،حس میکنم همین حجم کم داستان باعث شده حجم بزرگ و زیاد اون درد بیشتر درک بشه.
Teresa
Jan 22, 2016 Teresa rated it liked it
While I understand the significance of this story being published in late 1938, I found it hard to believe in the characters, so I never got invested in the story. Perhaps if I hadn't predicted the ending (or something similar to it), I might've felt differently.
Lisa Vegan
Jan 27, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody, especially those interested in history & social justice, like twist endings
Recommended to Lisa by: Chrissie
The edition I read has a wonderfully informative foreword by the author’s son. The foreword does give some information that gave me a clue as to what was coming in the story, but it didn’t really contain any spoilers.

A few of my Goodreads’ friends have read this story recently and their reviews and comments definitely piqued me interest.

So, wow! This story was published first in 1938, and I can see why it’s a classic.

I can’t remember the last time I so enjoyed a story, in this case told via lett
...more
Thomas Hübner
Jan 09, 2016 Thomas Hübner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
http://www.mytwostotinki.com/?p=2368

Address Unknown is a short epistolary novella with a fascinating plot and a strong message; it was first published in 1938 and its author, Kressmann Taylor, is today almost forgotten.

Max and Martin own a successful art gallery in San Francisco. They are not only business partners but best friends. The bachelor Max is a frequent and welcome guest at Martin's home and quasi a member of the family; the delicate situation that Max' sister and Martin have an affair
...more
لیلی
May 28, 2015 لیلی rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to لیلی by: Zeinab
خیلی خیلی خیلی دوست بازیافته بود! هرچند، دوست بازیافته ای که آدما ش بزرگ شده بودن خب و داستان تو عوالم بچگی نمیگذشت...
و اینی که نشون میداد آدمها چقدر میتونه خودشون، آرمان هاشون، شخصیت شون، همه چیشون عوض بشه تحت تاثیر یک آدم به نظرم نکته ی قابل تاملی بود...
اینکه واقعا هیتلر چیکار کرد با آدما... و اینکه شاید همه چیز اون قدرا م تقصیر خود آدما تو اون زمان نبوده پس، شاید واقعا یه بخشاییش ناخود آگاه بوده... چون رفتار مارتین(یا ماکس بود:-؟:دی اونی که آلمان بود خلاصه:-”) واقعا اصلا طبیعی نبود و به نظر ن
...more
ستایش  دشتی
شما بگیرید ۳.۵. در بیست دقیقه خواندمش، لذت بردم، و دلم خواست باز میخواندمش. حقیقتش نمیخواستم بخرمش امّا الآن از خریدنش راضی ام، یک داستان خوب و شستهرفته؛ شاهکار نه، خوبِ خوبِ خوب.
ترجمهٔ خوبی هم داشت.
...more
Melika Khoshnezhad
ایا ما هم وقتی عزیزترین کسی که در زندگی داریم را از دست بدهیم انتقام می گیریم؟
A Girl Has No Name
4 stars - A short story that everybody should consider reading!

I read this book back in school and when I found a beautiful edition at the flea market last weekend, I just had to buy it. I couldn’t remember all the details of the story, but I definitely remembered the strong emotions this story managed to arouse in me.

Written in 1938, Undress Unknown was one of the first fictional books focusing on the raising Nazi-Regime in Germany. It consists of letters exchanged between Max Eisenstein, Jew
...more
Diane S ☔
Sep 24, 2013 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this little book and was absolutely astonished at how much it accomplished in so few pages. Friends and partners, one Jewish, one German and the letters they sent back and forth from Germany to the United States, show the rise of Hitler and the changing viewpoints of the Germans as they came to accept them as their leader and hope for the future. Loved the way revenge was taken at the end of the book. Heartfelt and poignant.
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Originally published in 1938, The New York Times Book Review hailed it as "the most effective indictment of Nazism to appear in fiction." In 1995, a year before the author died, it was reissued and gained the status of an American classic. After her death, it became a bestseller in Europe.

The novel is epistolary and roughly based on real-life experiences of the author. Two very close friends and business partners in San Francisco, California, a Jew and a German. The latter, a kind, liberal-mind
...more
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 01, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Dennis Jacob Rosenfeld
I had never heard of either Address Unknown or its author, Kathrine Taylor, who published under the pseudonym Kressmann Taylor. This short story first appeared in a magazine in 1938, revealing the brutality of the Nazis against the Jews and anyone who opposed them in the slightest. But the heart of the story is how a heretofore tolerant, liberal German could gradually be seduced by omnipresent propaganda and the over-the-top promises of an authoritarian strongman.

Address Unknown has been publish
...more
Paria
Aug 25, 2016 Paria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ۱۳۹۵
جذاب،تلخ و غافل گیر کننده.
آدم ها چقدر ساده و صرفا بخاطر منافع شخصیشون رنگ عوض میکنن و ایدئولوژی ها و حرف های گذشتشون رو فراموش میکنن. حتی از قربانی کردن نزدیکانشون هم بخاطر خودخواهی خودشون ابایی ندارن.
Narges Aliyari
May 17, 2015 Narges Aliyari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
انتقام هوشمندانه یک دوست یهودی از دوست آلمانی اش ، هر چند که من به این قضیه هم فکر میکنم که شاید ماکس در مورد مارتین اشتباه کرده باشه حتی 1% ممکنه ، اما داستانی بود کوتاه ، شیرین ، جذاب و خلاقانه حتما بخونیدش
Nastaran
راستش نمیدونم چی باید بگم درمورد این کتاب... چندتا نامهی آخر واقعا متحیرم کرد...
خیلی کوتاه بود ولی هیچی کم نداشت...
نمیتونم بگم لذت بردم از خوندش چون احساس میکنم این کتاب برای لذت برده شدن نوشته نشده...
نمیتونم رفتار مارتین رو درک کنم... نمیتونم باور کنم که عشق و دوستی انقدر بی اهمیت بشن... دنیای سردی که مارتین توش زندگی میکرد توی ذهن من جا نمیگیره... از طرف دیگه وجدانم نمیذاره کار مارکس رو تایید کنم... انتقام و کینه برای من قابل درک نیستن... ولی نمیتونم این احساس رو تو خودم خفه کنم که مارکس حق دا
...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
address unknown, Kathrine Kressmann Taylor
عنوان: گیرنده شناخته نشد؛ نویسنده: کاترین کرسمن تایلور؛ مترجم: حسن مرتضوی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، بهنام، 1379، در 60 ص، مصور، موضوع: داستانهای نویندگان امریکایی قرن 20 میلادی، یهودیان، ایالات متحده، آلمان
همین کتاب را با عنوان: ناشناس در این آدرس؛ انتشارات ماه ریز، با ترجمه: تینوش نظم جو؛ و مهشاد مخبری؛ در سال 1382 ؛ و انتشارات ماهی؛ با ترجمه: بهمن دارالشفایی؛ در سال 1393 منتشر کرده
کتاب را مرحوم ابراهیم یونسی نیز ترجمه کرده است
در جستجوی نام خویش
نمره من : 3.5
چه کتاب جالب و خوبی بود. مختصر و مفید
نوع روایت جالب بود. گرچه قبلا توی بعضی کتاب ها دیده بودم یک قسمت هایی صرفا مبتنی بر نامه اما نه اینکه کل کتاب نامه باشه، شمن اینکه این حرفه ای تر بود. چاپ کتاب هم به نظرم خوب و جالب است. ترجمه خیلی خوب است.
کتاب خیلی خوب جذبم کرد و خیلی هم باحال تمام شد به نظرم. نوشته ها و توصیفات و نشان دادن موقعیت ها خوب و به جا بودند. جالب این جاست که این کتاب در سال 1938 نوشته شده یعنی قبل از شروع جنگ جهانی دوم و این نشان از دید وسیع نویسنده دارد.
Russio
Aug 26, 2011 Russio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An utter masterpiece - the kind of novel(la) that you just thank providence for putting in your path. An epistolry tale of the correspondence between a German in Germany and a Jew in the US in the build up to World War II (and indeed written prior to the outbreak). That Ms Kressmann Taylor saw the writing on the wall is impressive but is not the reason for the book's greatness. Rather the breathtaking skill by which the plot and characterisation creeps out through the interchange of letters like ...more
Chrissie
Jun 30, 2008 Chrissie rated it really liked it
This is an extremely quick read, easily read in one sitting. What is amazing about this book is that it came out so early - in 1938, first in the magazine Story! It is about the holocaust, the consequences of a few letters between a Jew in San Francisco and a friend in Germany. How did it happen that the Germans believed in Hitler? How can long term friendship be so quickly stamped out? And what could be the consequences of just a few letters?
Osric
May 29, 2015 Osric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خیلی عالی بود، کوتاه بود ولی عمیق.
فقط من یه نکته رو متوجه نشدم، دلیل نوشتن و ادامه دادن چند نامه آخر توسط دوستی که در آمریکا بود چی بود؟ آیا قصد گرفتن انتقام خواهرش رو داشت؟ یا چی؟
اگه کسی خونده و متوجه شده توضیح بده منم بفهمم! :|
Elizabeth
Shared history.
Divergent lives.
Nazi Germany.

BOOM.

Gaetano
Apr 27, 2017 Gaetano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Due amici, soci in una galleria d’arte a San Francisco sono i protagonisti di questo agghiacciante romanzo epistolare: Max, ebreo vive in America mentre Martin, tedesco (cristiano?), ritorna in Germania nel 1932, trovando una nazione impoverita e distrutta dopo la grande guerra.

Spesso l’eccessiva disperazione può spingere a imboccare la strada della follia, dice Martin che, ironia della sorte, di questa strada diventerà presto passante e vittima.

Dallo scambio di lettere si vede la rapida evoluzi
...more
Lesley
wow! this is a book of letters shared between friends that are business partners, a jew in America and is german friend in Germany. What a sad world that in these letters we see how the german starts to fall for the Hitler talk and jews area sore spot. oh sad to read him write " I have never hated the individual jew" This was apparently written in the 1930's and was banned by Hitler. God forbid people read anything other than what he thought was ok! This intolerance of the time should be read wi ...more
prettybooks
Dec 31, 2015 prettybooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
18/20

Un roman épistolaire très court mais très fort qui est glaçant à la lecture. L’auteur a réussi, avant même la seconde guerre mondiale, à cerner les dangers du nazisme comme le prouve ce roman très réussi. Un livre à lire, assurément.

Ma chronique : https://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/2...
Baahaarmast
این کتاب یادآور دردی بود که قبلا در کتاب "دوست بازیافته" نوشتهی فرد اولمن تجربه کرده بودم. آن یکی بیشتر چسبیده بود.
:)
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Censorship 2 11 Feb 17, 2017 04:57PM  
Help me find a book.. 1 10 May 28, 2014 05:04AM  
'Whole skins' 4 28 Jan 15, 2013 11:16AM  
  • Baghdad Diaries: A Woman's Chronicle of War and Exile
  • An Apology for the Life of Mrs. Shamela Andrews
  • The Language Police:  How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn
  • The Dean's December
  • Les Cavaliers
  • In Our Strange Gardens
  • Le Silence de la mer
  • Ester and Ruzya: How My Grandmothers Survived Hitler's War and Stalin's Peace
  • L'amico ritrovato
  • Under Western Eyes
  • The Last of the Just
  • Jakob the Liar
  • The Engineer of Human Souls
  • Kinderzimmer
  • Loitering with Intent
  • Isaac's Torah
  • L'enfant de Noé
  • The Oppermanns
74839
Born Kathrine Kressmann, she married Elliott Taylor in 1928. Her first and most famous book, "Address unknown", was initially published by Story magazine. As both the editor and her husband deemed the story "too strong to appear under the name of a woman", she took on the pseudonym Kressman Taylor, which she used for the rest of her professional life.
More about Kathrine Kressmann Taylor...

Share This Book



“But there is another realm where we can always find something true, the fireside of a friend, where we shed our little conceits and find warmth and understanding, where small selfishnesses are impossible and where wine and books and talk give a different meaning to existence.
There we have made something that no falseness can touch. We are at home.”
3 likes
“We are vain and we are dishonest because it is necessary to triumph over other vain and dishonest persons.” 2 likes
More quotes…