Start by marking “The Land Remembers: The Story of a Farm and Its People (Wisconsin)” as Want to Read:
The Land Remembers: The Story of a Farm and Its People (Wisconsin)

The Land Remembers: The Story of a Farm and Its People (Wisconsin)

- Author of the best-selling book Christmas Remembered. - Features beautiful, descriptive prose essays.
Published July 1st 1999 by Creative Publishing International (first published February 10th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Land Remembers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land Remembers

Kendra Stejskal
May 23, 2016 Kendra Stejskal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book parallels my own Grandpa's story so much. He gave it to me to read this month during my visit to Wisconsin. Just like the author of this book, my Grandpa was born in 1920's western Wisconsin. Like Ben Logan, he was raised on a farm with three boys in the family (and a sister). He worked the land with his family growing up and then ran his own farm while raising my mom and her siblings. I have talked to Grandpa so much about what it was like growing up through the Great Depression and W ...more
Jan 09, 2008 Britta rated it it was amazing
Recommended on Little Blog in the Big Woods. I loved this book. I'd give it five stars for the emotion it provoked in me, having lived in that part of Wisconsin. Such lyrical descriptions of the land, life - set in southwestern Wisconsin, 9 miles from the Mississippi.

"Once you have lived on the land, been a partner with its moods, secrets, and seasons, you cannot leave. This living land remembers, touching you in unguarded moments, saying, "I am here. You are part of me."

He describes his life as
Mark Geisthardt
Feb 02, 2010 Mark Geisthardt rated it it was amazing
I first heard this book being read on Wisconsin Public Radio's "Chapter a Day." Once I heard it I knew I needed to get a copy and read it. I've read it several times through and several times through to my boys as a bedtime story that lasted for a month or so. Logan in this book is able to capture life on a small farm in the upper midwest so well that you get nostalgic for a time you never even lived. One of my favorites books of all that I've read. Read it!
Mar 04, 2009 Marcia rated it it was amazing
I rarely re- read a book, but I thought this one deserved a look after the farm Ben Logan remebers was put in consevancy. I don't regret it at all! I loved the way he told the story and could picture every event he described....many were fascinating snapshots of life in an earlier time. In the afterward, he mentions that a reader wondered how you could feel nostalgic about a time and place you never knew......I now understand that feeling.
Jan 21, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
I have read this multiple, multiple times. I grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin in the same area in the '80s and '90s, and there is still so much that resonates with me. I recommend it to anyone who was raised on a farm or who is interested in the human side of agriculture.

I have also met the author on several occasions, and he is a very kind and interesting man. If you are at all moved to write him a letter after reading this, do it. He loves reading them, and will probably reply if his heal
Sep 22, 2014 Bjornslukken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Land Remembers is a true classic. It's a heartfelt story about the powerful connection that can develop between a family and the land on which they forge their lives. The story is so inviting, and it makes the reader feel like he or she has become part of that special place in the unglaciated Driftless Area of southwestern Wisconsin. Author Ben Logan was a student of Aldo Leopold, and Logan does a great job of communicating Leopold's land ethic--a relationship with the land--through the tell ...more
Aug 20, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, it is autobiographical, relating the author's early life growing up on a farm in SW Wisconsin, his Norwegian father, devoted, hard working mother, older brothers, neighbors and school mates. All wonderfully written, and a good read of times gone by.
Jun 07, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely wonderful book. The writing is pure poetry, and even though I grew up on a farm 50 years after Ben did, there are so many things that I could relate to. This is one book that I go back to over and over again to read bits and pieces again. So good.
Aug 27, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Read this in college for a land stewardship class, then again just a few months ago. So well written, and if you like the outdoors or the "romance" of simple farm life, this is a great book to read.
Jul 23, 2014 HBalikov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hard for city-dwellers to know what rural life is/was like. Particularly, now when those on the farm are such a small minority of the USA's population. That, wasn't always the case, and Ben Logan's book is an almost poetic reminiscence of growing up on a farm in Wisconsin.

Reading the major newspapers on either coast, or listening to the national news, it is rare when a reporter goes much beyond the usual stereotypes of those Americans who occupy America's Heartland. Logan did actually retu
Evan Hays
May 04, 2014 Evan Hays rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This really is a beautiful book. My friend, Liz Stower, loaned me a copy of this book, and it is actually a copy that she had signed by the author, Ben Logan. This is a story of a boy growing up on a farm in southwestern Wisconsin during the depression.

His theme is the interconnectedness of humans and the land, which often borders on dependence upon yet maltreatment of the land. You might think that this would mean this book is political or that the author has an axe to grind, but it is not lik
Nov 07, 2010 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of the reviews talk about this book giving you a nostalgic feeling for a time and place you wish you had known....nothing could be more true.

Ben Logan wrote collections of boyhood memories from the years he grew up on a farm in southwestern Wisconsin. They don't necessarily follow a tight chronological order but do follow the seasons. This movement of the story was most magical for me because it followed the same remembering patterns our minds fall into when thinking of childhood. Our memor
May 15, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
I mostly loved the book because of the feeling of immediacy and the great descriptions, as well as the ability to capture his childhood imagination and the love of his family. There were places, though, where I wondered just how old he was for some of his memories because he seemed to go back and forth in time rather vaguely. And I was bothered by unanswered questions: who canned all those vegetables he planted in his mother's garden after she died and did all the other work she did. I don't bel ...more
Oct 01, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
An excellent story. I grew up on a farm in Michigan and I truly enjoyed how Logan prompted my memories to the present as he shared his own. Growing up in the 60's on a family farm wasn't that different from his era. I believe anyone who felt the heart string tug when Scarlett grabbed handfuls of dirt and declared "as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I' m going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again" will truly appreciated this story of family and t ...more
Jim B
Aug 15, 2011 Jim B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An enjoyable story of farm life in southwestern Wisconsin, written by a man born in 1920. Filled with stories of life long ago by a master story teller.

The 2006 audio version was read by Karl Schmidt for "A Chapter A Day" on Wisconsin Public Radio. He has a great voice for this kind of story. This edition contains updates and additions to the 1977 original book, but it is an abridgement. The author added as an "After word" the original Preface that the original editor advised against using becau
Mar 02, 2015 Leah marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-story, the-list, own
I'm abandoning this one because the cussing was getting annoying. You know how some farmers will begin every sentence with H@ll and talk about the d@@ned mule? Yeah, there was a lot of that going on, haha! Otherwise, this guy is a very good writer. His tone is very languid and peaceful. I enjoyed his descriptions of the land and stories of growing up on a farm. If you aren't bothered by cuss words and want to read a well written book about farming life in the old days you might like this one.
Oct 11, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This was a beautifully, description of life on a farm in southwestern Wisconsin in the 20's and 30"s. It is divided into seasons and tells of the author's life as a child living with three older siblings, Lyle (a farm hand) and two loving parents. It reminded me of my grandmother's farm in Wisconsin, and the hold that the land has on you. I read the book after reading the obituary of the author, who has just died at the age of 94. The story gives you a longing for life in simpler times.
Mar 13, 2016 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me feel nostalgic for a time and place I've never been a part of.
Barb Graf
Mar 06, 2013 Barb Graf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the descriptions of the farm life. I think the love of nature and of family and the history of the time period makes this book come alive. It seemed to start a little slow for me till I got into it; then I noticed that reading a small portion was enough, I would think about it and then be ready to move on; unlike when I can't put a book down. This was a more thoughtful way to take it in and enjoy the "seasons".
Oct 16, 2015 Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A beautiful memoir about growing up on a farm in southwestern Wisconsin in the 1920 and '30s. It made me envious not having that experience growing up, but it also made me relieved that I didn't live a childhood that is controlled by the seasons and the needs of a farm. Learned a few things about farming that was done for generations but are probably not done anymore because of technology and corporate farming.
Sherry (sethurner)
Probably I love this book because I grew up on a Wisconsin dairy farm in the 1950s, but I think other readers with different backgrounds could also enjoy this book. Logan, using lovely prose, remembers what it was like to farm the coulees of southwestern Wisconsin during the Depression years. His love and respect for the land and that lifestyle comes through with every word.
Nov 23, 2010 Misty rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book. What an enjoyable journey through someone else's childhood-seemingly idyllic as all our childhoods can be. Reminds me of the fiction of Lief Enger, except this was real. Humor and stories enough to pull you along, but not too much that you wonder at its veracity. A truly noble and worthwhile read--thanks to Delight who first read and reviewed it!!
Sep 09, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't my typical kind of book, and I wouldn't recommend reading it during the summer. It's not the book you can sit and read for a long time. But I really enjoyed all the stories he shared. It made me imagine my parents, aunts, and uncles as kids growing up and my grandparents. I imagine my grandma and grandpa were a lot like Ben's Mother and Father.
Tom Wilda
Mar 06, 2012 Tom Wilda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I'd like a book that is a series of essays about growing up on a farm in SW Wisconsin in the 1920s and 30s...but I did. Take bits of Aldo Leopold, Robert Frost, and Joseph Campbell, add a touch of The Waltons, and you've got The Land Remembers. It was a great and memorable read, highly recommended.
Korinn Hawkins
Dec 31, 2013 Korinn Hawkins rated it really liked it
I read this book in college for a class and remembered being fond of it. I just finished rereading it aloud to my 6 year old son. We enjoyed visiting the farm life of the author growing up in Wisconsin in the 1920's and 30's. And I enjoyed the the way the author writes connecting you to the land through the story.
Melanie Winter
Jan 11, 2016 Melanie Winter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nov 28, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it
I read this a couple of years ago for a class "Writing about Place." If you have fond memories of the sugar maple in your childhood backyard or you long to walk a favorite stretch of beach again or you have any other nostalgic connection to the land, you should read this. Beautiful.
Apr 01, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved it! I met Ben Logan when I was ~8, but didn't read this book until now (I wasn't really excited about books without pictures back then, I guess). I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved it and it took me right into his life in southwestern Wisconsin "back in the day."
Apr 21, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
My father recommended this book to me. At first, I wasn't sure about it but it is well written creating the "farm picture" in your mind. I grew up on a Wisconsin farm and so many of the events in this book resonate with me. It just took me "back home"!
Sep 06, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This isn't a style of book I really enjoy, very descriptive, not as much of a plot. Having said that, I thought it painted a terrific, if a bit romanticized, view of farm life in the past. The last chapter made my cry, wasn't expecting that.
  • Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet
  • American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings
  • A House in Sicily
  • A Piece of My Heart: The Stories of 26 American Women Who Served in Vietnam
  • Tasha Tudor's Garden
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds

“I think we're supposed to know everything we can figure out. I don't think we're supposed to make up answers just because we can't stand living with unanswered questions.” 0 likes