Start by marking “Beach Babylon” as Want to Read:
Beach Babylon

Beach Babylon

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  509 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
How does it feel to live and work in the world's most beautiful and luxurious tropical island resort, surrounded by white sandy beaches and aquamarine seas? How does it feel to be in the lap of luxury when you're thousands of miles from anywhere else? And when the guests are some of the richest and most demanding people in the world, where do you find the energy every day ...more
Published 2007 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Beach Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Babylon

The Demarcation of Jack by Dana BennettThe Beach by Alex GarlandDelicious Desires by Jackie WilliamsTreasured Dreams by Jackie WilliamsJaws by Peter Benchley
Takes you away...to the beach
12th out of 271 books — 211 voters
Yes Man by Danny WallaceThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithRandom Acts of Kindness by Danny WallaceIt's Cold Outside by Steve Horsfall
Best Feelgood Books In The World
17th out of 22 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Arielle Walker
Apr 01, 2012 Arielle Walker rated it did not like it
Terrible writing, but the behind-the-scenes look at the world of luxury resorts was interesting enough to allow me to finish it. Hour-long read at most, preferably lying on a gorgeous beach somewhere.
Paul Robb
Apr 03, 2009 Paul Robb rated it liked it
I did enjoy Beach Babylon, although not as much as my favourite (Air) Babylon book. It is very breezy although I certainly would not want to work 24/7 in paradise like the manager - delegation would be the answer although then of course there would be no story. I guessed the plight of Ben (Assistant Manager) in the end and it was really like watching a documentary on the very wealthy, knowing that this life is very much out of reach unless I win the lottery.
Danata
Dec 29, 2015 Danata rated it liked it
Since I was planning to work in the industry myself... Well, now I am much less eager.
The life of a luxury hotel manager can seem dreamy, but the reality hurts in a number of previously unimaginable ways. Dealing with people is a hard work, and this book truly illustrates this concept. Regardless, this is a very light, even refreshing read, and I don't think it will be fair to compare this book's language and style to any works of a higher class non-fiction/biography. It is good in it's own mann
Ranjan Atreya
If you are looking for a trashy fix in a book, this is it. Beach Babylon tells the story of a general manager on a luxurious 6 star island resort and combines years of experience into one week for readers to understand what makes the uber rich an uber pain. Told with wit and frankly unbelievable stories, the book veers from boring to down right comical. However it is a quick read and if any one really wants to understand what they should do the next time they can afford a $6000 room for a night, ...more
Sam Still Reading
Jun 23, 2011 Sam Still Reading rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Babylon fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: liked other Babylon books
Beach Babylon is yet another of the Babylon series that contains Hospital, Hotel, Fashion, Wedding etc. Each book, with the help of several anonymous insiders, provides an insider’s look into the world of hotels, hospitals etc. As I found Hospital Babylon amusing with some truth to it, I decided to try some more Babylon books. Not to mention that they also appear on discount piles and are exceptionally easy reads that can be read during busy working periods.

Beach Babylon is somewhat similar to H
Caroline
I am a fan of the Babyon books. This one I did consider a bit less fun then the other that I have been reading. But then I have never been at a beach resort and I have never mingled with the super rich. The thing is that Edward-Jones ones more manages to give you a very good insight of how things work back stage and that not everything is glamour and glitter. You might be after a job like one of them featured in this one but I do believe that after a few months you do long for so many ordinary t ...more
Karschtl
Aug 18, 2016 Karschtl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, if this isn't the perfect read for a holiday on the beach then I don't know what is. Luckily I read the book really on a day we spent at the beach (instead of at the pool).

It's a sometimes a bit embarrasing to read how outrageous some ppl can behave - especially when they are on holiday. Especially the Germans don't get off too well in this book.

I don't know if I would like living on this island. I probably would be contended with books, movies and some friends to hang out with (hey, that'
Jacqueline ONG
Great reads , have read it twice and enjoyed it immensely, funny, eye opener, cool, sun, sand,water, = paradise
rentus
Aug 24, 2016 rentus rated it liked it
The plot is simple : hotel, rich people, money, something goes wrong, manager fixes it. An extremely easy read.
Hayley
Apr 06, 2016 Hayley rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-2010s
Not as good as some others in the series(?) but still an entertaining read.
Shea
Nov 07, 2013 Shea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ihave
Phew!
I could feel the stress faced by the hotel manager while reading this. Good read as it gave me new perspective on hotel business.
Looking forward to read other Babylon titles. Imogen Edward-Jones Beach Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones
Fluffychick
Not as good as Hotel Babylon...could be that some of the "shock" factor was used up in reading that first and lets face it, it's more of the same on a desert island! Maybe beacause I've stayed in a few luxury resorts I've seen a fair bit of it myself already. What i did find interesting was the sheer dullness of a tropical paradise for those who work there and although it pains me to say it...i actually don't envy them!
Christine Ng
Nov 29, 2014 Christine Ng rated it really liked it
test
Kingfan30
Apr 27, 2013 Kingfan30 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stories
Another light entertaining read from the Babylon series. It really was just an extension of Hotel Babylon just set on a different venue! I was not really surprised at the lives of the rich and famous and how demanding they could be and it did leave with a craving for a glass of champagne.
Tania
Dec 21, 2009 Tania rated it it was ok
This formula is becoming a bit of a cliche. While it really worked for Air and Hotel, it falls a bit short here.

Not the most interesting in the Babylon series - especially if you couldn't care less what rich people get up to on an island resort.
Kathleen
Nov 18, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waargebeurd
Wanneer je zin hebt in een waargebeurd verhaal dat leest als een fictie-bestseller dan is de "Babylon"-reeks een must.Ik heb genoten van dit boek en hoop gauw aan het bij de bib gerserveerde "Air Babylon" te kunnen beginnen.
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Intresting, mind you, has made me realise I wouldn't work on a island resort if they paid me the money they could, I'd be inclined to be fired within the first couple of days, for telling guests where to get off.
Nouran Gamal
Jul 15, 2012 Nouran Gamal rated it liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
reading about extravagant lifestyles as this makes you appreciate the small things you have in life and be grateful to having a VERY normal plain lifestyle. Thank God for everything :)
Josie
Feb 20, 2012 Josie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
I have been reading some pretty heavy foreign fiction recently and it was nice light hearted trash to take an afternoon off the grid.
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
I do love the Babylon books, very entertaining. Beach Babylon was a light and fun read, just what I needed to lighten this dark Autumn day.
Audrey
Aug 13, 2012 Audrey rated it liked it
These books exist for a reason, and that reason is for when your brain goes doolally and needs to stop thinking so much.
Zabetta Camilleri
the best option ever for a rain sunday in london - takes you away and reminds you that here is not that bad at all ... mind candy
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
What? I was on a tropical island resort at the time. I believe a trashy novel is mandatory in these circumstances.
Bill
Jul 07, 2011 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If this is how the top 0.00001% live on holiday - I'm not impressed.
Some funny bits, but generally very boring stuff!
Beth Lloyd
Mar 20, 2012 Beth Lloyd rated it it was ok
Ok, but didn't seem so good, after reading Jess Ruston's 'Luxury'. But it was ok, would like to read the flight one.
Sandra
Jun 23, 2009 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
another quick and amusing read in the Babylon series, I enjoyed this one as much as Hotel Babylon

Wendy Hamnett
not bad, but not the best i have read, not my usual read either, but if you like a nice easy read, this is ok
Leonie
Dec 10, 2010 Leonie rated it liked it
Fun, fast, entertaining read. Glad I don't have to deal with the public in my job!
Rose
Jul 26, 2011 Rose rated it did not like it
I happen to live in this environment, so I found it quite entertaining and cute...
Sephie
May 30, 2008 Sephie rated it really liked it
Great bit of escapism in the trials and tribulations of running a millionaire's paradise.
  • Paging Aphrodite
  • Tan Lines
  • Gilded: How Newport Became America's Richest Resort
  • Life is an Open Secret: You, Me and We
  • Italy Out of Hand: A Capricious Tour
  • Party Animals: A Hollywood Tale of Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll Starring the Fabulous Allan Carr
  • Death of a Second Wife (Dotsy Lamb, #4)
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Karaoke Culture
  • The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation
  • Windless Summer
  • Home Truths
  • Cry for Help
  • The Price Of Success
  • Have Mother, Will Travel: A Mother and Daughter Discover Themselves, Each Other, and the World
  • 100 قصة فرنسية