Twice a Rake

Twice a Rake (Lord Rotheby's Influence #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  832 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Some scandals are meant to be . . .

When Aurora Hyatt loses her journal in Hyde Park, her ruin is a foregone conclusion. After all, if anyone discovers her writings, they'll find scandalous fantasies involving the newest rake in Town alongside entirely-too-candid thoughts about her typical dreary suitors. Aurora will either be forced into a loveless marriage with the first...more
Published April 22nd 2011 by Night Shift Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Twice a Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twice a Rake

MRB
As someone who loves both romances and murder mysteries, I found myself wishing that this one had been the latter...and that our "hero and heroine" had been done away with in the first few pages. :)

Honestly, I'm not all that picky when it comes to historicals. I've read hundreds this year (I know, I know...I need a life!), and I've liked or even loved a surprisingly high percentage of them. I wasn't even that deterred by the negative reviews, as amusing and well written as they were. That's beca...more
SheLove2Read
1.5 "generous" stars for this frustrating book.

I admit I liked Niles, even with his issues he refused to face. He never pretended to be anything other than what he was - a brandy swilling, skirt chasing rake. At least he was honest. And excepting the droll trope of "I'm turning into my bastard father" - so overdone, authors please give it a rest already - he was a character you found yourself liking in the end.

Aurora was spoiled, selfish, at one point unconscionably rude to her supposed best f...more
Huong
This romance had a promising premise but unfortunately was not developed well at all. Aurora is very flighty, which was OK and a little funny at first, but got quite annoying midway through. Niles is OK but his whole tortured past also produced a few eyerolls. And I don't really understand where the 'love' between the characters came from ... all they did was have sex for most of their marriage. H/H seldom talked to each other. And the great misunderstanding was over-the-top. Good lord.

I would'...more
Vivian Archer

Another story with a shakey beginning that I almost closed as DNF, but ultimately glad I didn't. The set-up for the two protagonists had more than a few eye-rolling moments, but once they truly started to see each other it was heartaching. Some heavy emotions and issues dealt with, albeit clumsily at times, but still worth the time to read.
Gaby
Posted at Oh My Books!

Twice a Rake was free for Kindle a few weeks ago and I loved how it sounded. I'm glad I decided to read it, I liked it.

Aurora is a lonely woman who is having fantasies with Niles Thornton, Baron Quinton (Quin). He's very handsome and she liked to write, so her fantasies are written in her diary. But one day she looses her diary and Quin, by luck, finds it! It's not that bad since Quin needs to marry, and fast. Why not with Aurora?

I really liked Aurora and Quin's story. It's...more
Manda
Aurora and Quin. I can't believe I actually finished this book. It is so old school. Quin's behavior in the beginning is ridiculous and I don't know why I was supposed to like him. Yes he as a capital-p "Past" but the way he treats Aurora is inexcusable.
Each chapter opens with an entry in Aurora's diary, but there is no place in the plot for her to pause and write them, especially toward the beginning. I looked to see if the other books in the series involve Jonas and Nia, the minor romance tha...more
Cherna
The main characters were acting like immature teenagers. I cannot believe they were supposed to be 24 and 32. He handles his past by drinking too much and being rude to other people supposedly because he feels unworthy of them. But in truth he behaves like a little boy with a big case of self-pity, not attractive at all.
And that heroine needs to grow a spine! No matter how badly he behaves, regardless of her emotions and feelings towards him they keep ending up in bed. And not because he's tryi...more
Sa
Look, I don't think it's too much to ask for a heroine with an average IQ, okay?

There are spoilers below.Here's a list of some of the things Aurora does:

1]Takes her diary with all the super secret stuff in it to the park knowing that she won't be able to read or write in it.Then, during a carriage ride she loses it.

Guess she couldn't hang on to the carriage and her bonnet and her parasol and her skirts and her diary at the same time.

2]She decides that because Quin didn't deflower her right then...more
Shawna Hansen
Fun, light romance. A young writer fills her journal with stories of the men she meets at the society parties in London and when she hears about a certain gentleman rake, she imagines what it would be like to be swept off her feet by him. Her shocking diary entries take on a life of their own. A deep look at flawed love and building a relationship between two souls both struggling with personal loss and sadness. Not sure how this story stays light, but it is satisfying without become depressing.
Nic
3.5. This was free book on my Kindle. It was charming and cute. Very fluffy but a good distraction. A couple of annoyances: the heroine kept saying "oh, dear good lord"-it was in there too many times! and besides who even says that? The ending was boring in my opinion. The story had me till their relationship started getting better and it was like the author just wanted to wrap it up.
Cindy Clemens
I enjoyed this book. I was compelled to see what would happen next. I was sad each time Quin took a step back and thrilled when he was able to overcome his demons a bit.

Some of Aurora's behavior seemed off. On one hand she seemed self aware and giving (understanding things Quin had done and comforting him when he needed it) and on the other hand see was portrayed as selfish. I had a had time with the differences.

The end felt rushed. There was a lot going on in this book and I felt it could hav...more
Lauren
This book was ok... nothing to write home to grandma about. I guess what really bugged me about this book was that damn journal. Why the hell couldn't she keep the damn thing in her room like every other girl who has a diary?!? Why did she insist on taking that damn thing everywhere??? It caused problems everywhere it went. I mean seriously, cow - first you take it on a date and loose it - so you start another one only to let that one have pages stolen out of it that essentially ruin you and you...more
A rather emotional read. Though I think that Twice a Wastrel would have been a more accurate title, in favor of spiking interest to read however Twice a Rake works. Aurora is a girl who while down to earth does seem to have her head in the clouds most of the time; though with her lack of interesting suitors and having a Aunt who not only dislikes and is quick to point out your faults, well who can blame her for day dreaming. Though while the ton may forgive her for being a little absent minded t...more
Sara
She has a sexy journal! He reads it! Romance ensues.
Jyoti Achameesing
Absolutely charming freebie book. It was like reading a Barbara Cartland romantic novel. Shy Aurora strives on creative imaginations until her scandalous journal falls in the hand of Quin the rake. He is attracted to her and the ultimatum of reforming himself and taking a bride leaves no choice than force Aurora to marry him. She discovers the joy and sadness of being a married woman. He also gets attached to her and becomes a responsible husband. A great family reunion brings closeness within t...more
Cozen
This story was ok all the way until the wedding. After that there was too many stupid and dumb reactions and actions between the characters. The writing was not checked. For instance, "the electricity she felt through out her body from his touch" was comical being that electricity hadn't even been invented at that time. How would she or anybody know what electrical feeling would be like? I was less impressed with the ending. I think a good editor or even a few bata readers would have been good f...more
Dawn-Desiree
I was interested in the concept. Was not as fond of the outcome.
I could not say I was thrilled with the characters, I was very disappointed in the heroine (Aurora). She was a spoiled, annoying, self centred individual.
I am curious if Jonas ever appears in a book. I enjoyed the way he stood up to his friend and watched out for him and his family.
Maureen Surette
Enjoyable read. Couldn't put it down at certain points.

liked the cover. story got my interest at the very beginning. the storyline was well thought out. would recommend to anyone who enjoys historical romance.
Sara
I would have enjoyed this a LOT more if the heroine wasn't just absolutely idiotic. Is it too much to ask for smart female characters? Oh well, it was a free ebook on Amazon, so no harm done.
Jaclyn
First of all, I always enjoy a good period romance. My rating is based purely on enjoyment. I liked the premise of the story and the main characters though I did think it lost some steam in the second half when the author tried to get to "Jane Austin-y" by making the main character play match maker and pair together all of the wrong people. That part of the book seemed to drag and add little to the main plot and was followed by a rushed ending. I loved the journal entries even though there are t...more
Jayna
I had just finished The Book Thief, and I needed an 'easy read' to clear my head. I had downloaded this free through Amazon. It wasn't great. It did get better as the story went on, but I never really connected with it. I did like Jonas, so I'm contemplating downloading his story.
Tammy Haley
Catherine Gayle has captured the spoiled, self-righteous and entitled Aurora perfectly for the time period. Aurora is only concerned with how Quin treats her. She is completely unaware of the lives that are going on on around her. However, the only thing I could not stand was her constant use of the phrase "Oh dear good Lord". I do not believe there is a single chapter without this phrase in it.

Quin is protective. Of himself and everyone around him. He is afraid that he will turn out exactly lik...more
Katie Houston
GREAT BOOK

The story was good it kept me up until the wee hours of the morning. it was not dull at all. it was very fast paced...
Delta
May 14, 2014 Delta marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delta by: bookgorilla.com
Free on Amazon today, 05-14-14. (Historic-fiction-romance)

nkpangi kernahan
Great Read

The characters are well drawn and the pace is fast and held the reader's interest throughout. I am interested in reading book two in the series.
Heidi
Fun story in spite of its flaws. Aurora was a bit annoying to me, but I liked Niles, and for me, if I like the hero, I'm in.
Cayla
I found some areas rather humorous. Aurora has a lively imagination and she takes full advantage of it wherever possible. The author pulled the story together beautifully. My personal preference is to skip ahead when the scenes get too steamy. This is not suitable for young readers.
Jane
Meh. It was worth wasting a couple of hours of insomnia with during the night.
Natalie
I read to 25% of the book before I put it to the side. I just couldn't like the characters enough to continue onwards. I don't like the main character because she reminds me too much of some juvenile middle schooler who has a slam book full of nasty mean stuff written in it. I just find her behavior to be really childish and ugly. The hero is a vulgar drunk; so of course they fall in lust at first sight. The other thing that bugged me was that the book has altogether a too contemporary or modern...more
Maggi Hesseling
Writing in your journal is perfectly fine, just as long as it stays private. And when it no longer is you should be so lucky to have it be found by a man who reads it and instantly wants to marry you. Thus begins the strange entanglement between Quin and Aurora. Interesting, with lots of depth and deception and miscommunication. This novel has bundles of interesting characters and situations. I also love the easy writing style and the author's ability to see and show real doubt in the characters...more
  • A Scandalous Past (Scandalous, #4)
  • Secrets of Midnight
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint Of Seven Dials, #1)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • The Defiant Governess
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • To Seduce an Earl (Seduction, #1)
  • Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1)
  • A Gentleman Never Tells (The Wetherby Brides, Book 1)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals #1)
  • Lucien's Fall
  • Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
Catherine Gayle is a bestselling author of Regency-set historical romance and contemporary hockey romance with a New Adult feel. She’s a transplanted Texan living in North Carolina with two extremely spoiled felines. In her spare time, she watches way too much hockey and reality TV, plans fun things to do for the Nephew Monster’s next visit, and performs experiments in the kitchen which are rarely...more
More about Catherine Gayle...
Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1) Breakaway The Devil to Pay (The Devilish Devalles, #1) On the Fly Light the Lamp