A Mouthful of Air

A Mouthful of Air

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  16 reviews
About the Book The riveting story of a young Manhattan mother's struggle with postpartum depression, A Mouthful of Air illuminates the power and complexity of the human mind. Elle Magazine called it "smart, [and] sensitive" and The St. Petersburg Times declared, "Koppelman's prose is as spare and powerful as poetry." Now in paperback, this brave, deeply relevant novel will...more
Published December 15th 2004 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Mouthful of Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mouthful of Air

Tricia
Terrible! The message I got from the book was a stern warning/commercial for pharmaceuticals: "Don't dare question a dependence on Big Pharma, or you'll kill yourself and your kids too." And she chose this plot, rather than redemption, because it's "reality"? So is a constipated pig bursting out with some pigshit--somewhere that's probably happening--but I don't want to be in its path. And I don't want to read about it.

Honestly, this book makes the stigma of postpartum depression worse. I'd be a...more
Julie
A dark, dark look at the bleak outlook of a young mother after having her first child. After reading Koppelman's other book (which is just as dark), I immediately bought this one and started reading. I appreciate her bravery in facing the darkness that lives inside some people that others never experience or can't understand. I look forward to more from the author! (But if you're a young mother who can't handle bad things happening, I suggest you don't read it. This book is not for everyone.)
Tina
A brilliantly written but very dark account of post-partum depression as seen through the eyes of new mother Julie Davis. The book begins after a failed suicide attempt, and Julie trying to pick up the pieces and cope with her baby, husband and life in general. The book builds with some twists and turns until the final page. A great read that gives you an inside look at post-partum depression as the author herself suffered from it. But beware it is not a happy story
Eileen Granfors
Warning: do not read this book unless you are willing to believe that motherhood does not come naturally to all women, that there is such a thing as post-partum depression, and that you can love a book even though you are guarded about the choices the protagonist makes.
For more about this book, see my review on amazon.com under the title and my reviewer's name, EGranfors.
Jonna Doughty
One of the most depressing novels I've ever read. Amy Koppelman writes of a young mother's struggle with depression in such a heartrendingly poetic and shattered way, making it difficult to put the book down.
Cara Bryant
I had mixed feeling about this book. It was often uncomfortable to read, but it also touched upon a lot of feelings (fear, worry, paranoia) that I think are universal to new mothers--even those who have not experienced clinical post-partum depression. It is not a book of survival, or the amazing resiliency of the human spirit, but rather of how people respond differently to the same situation, and how some things are simply out of our hands.
Andrea
It all begins way back, from her early childhood and a sick relationship she had and has with her father. She really has issues. Nicely written, considering the chances you have to succeed in portraying a really screwed woman's stream of thought.
Don't like the ending, but I also know that there was no other way. I guess that's what happens in real life too.
Tammy
Another great story by Amy! Another story that haunts you long after you've finished the book. While reading the final pages I had to put the book down because I couldn't see the words through my tears. This book will remain in my library so that I can go back and read it again, much like her book I Smile Back.
Robin Moore
Dark. I found myself flinching while reading it even though I knew what was coming. Young mother (26) living in NYC (across from Central Park) dealing with depression and also trying to parent her young son. Has some demons from her past involving her father who split from the family.
Katie Lynn
I wanted to dislike this book because the writing style is not my favorite. One of those free-form, loosely woven stories that you don't catch half of what they mean. But, that may have been the point and I liked it in spite of myself. Perhaps for its relevancy.
Kimberly
dark, disturbing. However, it was very well written and moved very quickly. I knew the story was leading up to something big and couldn't put the book down. But it was dark and very disturbing and I do not recommend it for everyone.
Jean
The story of a your mother suffering from depression and her effort to fit in but she hides what truly is wrong with her and thus cannot get the help she seeks. Dark story with a tragic ending that you can guess will happen.
Kim
The narration was choppy and awkward. I felt sometimes that the author was trying too hard to communicate the main character's emotional state. The ending was abrupt and painful to read.
Anne
shifting narratives in this tragic story of a woman with post-partum depression. oh my. sigh.
Marthine Satris
One of the best books I have ever read. Not afraid to face the dark side of mothering.
Jan
a great book about depression and insanity
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Jammie Ryan
Jammie Ryan marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I Smile Back Is Epilepsy Contagious? Is Cancer Contagious?