Start by marking “Sweet & Skinny: 100 Recipes for Enjoying Life's Sweeter Side Without Tipping the Scales” as Want to Read:

In Sweet & Skinny, professional pastry chef Marisa Churchill presents one hundred low-fat recipes (including more than twenty-five sugar-free variations) that show readers how to indulge in dessert while maintaining a healthy figure and lifestyle.

In her debut cookbook, Marisa will show you (as she has also done on Top Chef and Food Network Challenge) how t
Published June 7th 2011 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet & Skinny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet & Skinny

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jul 17, 2011 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: baking
I will admit to being a bit skeptical. I have seen too many low-fat or low-calorie dessert cookbooks that take abundant advantage of tasteless items like Cool Whip Free and artificial sweeteners. Instead, Marisa Churchill plays with texture and flavor and freshness and creates elegant, tasty desserts that you wouldn't even have to excuse to your guests.

First I made the Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Berries. I used local blackberries I bought at a market in Brevard, NC, that were just dying to be t
Huma Rashid
Nov 14, 2011 Huma Rashid rated it did not like it
All of the recipes here are pretty basic. I didn't feel the need to save any of them because I already had these recipes. The 'hook' for this book is that Churchill shows you how to make tried and true favorites with low-fat ingredients so you can feel good about what you eat. Or at least not as terrible.

That doesn't work for me, mainly because the low fat tricks involve using low fat cream cheese, or Truvia, or corn oil. I don't trust low fat products (God knows what they pump in there to keep
Julie
May 06, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some interesting ideas here... Many of the desserts will be familiar but with new ingredients. I am interested in trying old-fashioned fudge cake with beets and Greek yogurt in the cake and Neufchâtel in the frosting.

Several recipes have regular and sugar-free (Truvia) options. Non-stick spray is recommended only if you are not using baking mats or parchment paper. I don't like sugar substitutes or non-stick spray, but the author gives options so you can avoid/find alternatives to almost any sug
Tiana
Jan 22, 2014 Tiana rated it it was amazing
I made the chocolate cake for a holiday party. I loved that she used grated raw beet in the recipe to replace some of the sugar. The best part was that the kids gobbled it up and had no clue I was feeding them beets! I also made the "Almond Joy" macaroons for a cookie exchange. The macaroons are made with egg whites, so definitely a step up from my old recipe which called for condensed milk. However next time I will use egg whites from a carton like the recipe calls for. I used fresh eggs and wa ...more
Melodie
May 31, 2013 Melodie rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I picked this up, hoping to find recipes for healthy desserts. However, knowing what I do about Pam cooking spray, and most non-fat/sugar-free ingredients, these aren't healthier. Sure, they may be somewhat lower in fat and calories, but give me fat and calories over scientific concoctions any day. The strawberry jam-filled peanut butter cookies do look divine, however.
Lana Joy
Apr 21, 2012 Lana Joy rated it it was ok
I found maybe two recipes to try. A caramel sauce sounded easy and tasty. But the majority were recipes too involved or well known. I was excited to have yhis book to enjoy on my phone, via my public library. I love the show chopped, it was interesting to hear a few stories about the recipes. But is never buy this book. I love cookbooks.
Shh I'm reading!
Nov 14, 2012 Shh I'm reading! rated it it was ok
The recipes didn't seem any healthier than what I normally make, just made the portions seem key.
Candace
Candace rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Robin Lamb
Robin Lamb rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2011
Marissa
Marissa rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Rebecca Bogart
Rebecca Bogart rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Lgreen
Lgreen rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Love & Flour
Love & Flour rated it really liked it
May 12, 2012
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2017
Marianna
Marianna rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2012
Valerie
Valerie rated it did not like it
May 22, 2014
Kathely
Kathely rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Jen Cox
Jen Cox rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2012
April Bates
April Bates rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2014
Blake Jones
Blake Jones rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2013
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Cheryl McAlister
Cheryl McAlister rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Bridget Pekah
Bridget Pekah rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
I began to cook as soon as I was old enough to reach the stove. I would spend hours in the kitchen with my yιαyιά (Greek grandmother). Under her loving guidance, I learned how to make my own yogurt, cure olives, make homemade breads and pastas, and how to create a wide variety of authentic Greek dishes. To this day, both my yιαyιά and the cuisine of Greece influence my cooking.

In 1999 I decided to
More about Marisa Churchill...