Start by marking “Fauna & Family: An Adventure of the Durrell Family on Corfu (Nonpareil Books)” as Want to Read:
Fauna & Family: An Adventure of the Durrell Family on Corfu (Nonpareil Books)

Fauna & Family: An Adventure of the Durrell Family on Corfu (Nonpareil Books)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Fauna & Family Originally published: The garden of the gods. London: Collins, 1978. Full description
Published August 30th 2012 by Nonpareil Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Fauna & Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fauna & Family

Leslie
I will probably never tire of the wit and charm of the Durrell family as chronicled by Gerald, the youngest child of said family, in these lovely three books about his childhood and his family's misadventures on the exquisitely beautiful island of Corfu in Greece. I promise you that even though this last piece of the "trilogy" is honestly just more of the same, I was still quite pleased with it because, after all, sometimes one WANTS more the of same. I have already ordered the first of another ...more
Rosemary
Another diverting read from Gerald Durrell. I got a bit tired of Captain Creech (I don't know how Mrs.Durrell put up with him), but the stories are entertaining and the descriptions of animals are again meticulous and skillful.
Jill Minor
A rip-snortingly hilarious conclusion to a first-rate trilogy about a young naturalist enjoying an idyllic childhood on the island of Corfu in the early 20th century. The finale is a bit naughtier than the preceding two volumes in the saga about the Durrell family of Corfu, which is fitting as the narrator, Gerry, is now 12 years old. Full of endearing characters and unforgettable crazy scenarios, Gerald Durrell outdid himself with this one.
Marilyn
Durrell's descriptions of his and his family's lives and adventures on the island of Corfu are wonderful and will keep you smiling and entertained. The uniqueness of his family members, friends, and rather bizarre acquaintances lends itself to Durrell's special knack for storytelling. Without a doubt, he is one of my favorite authors (and naturalist and conservationist), and I wouldn't miss reading any of his works. He is absolutely delightful and I love this book!!
Hannah Corson
I think I'll probably keep this book for my kids to read someday. Just a bunch of fun stories about a family living on an island in Greece.

Confession: I had to use the dictionary several times throughout the book because the language used it definitely older than I'm used to!

Would recommend for a light, fun read!
Inge-Marie
Just re-read this book, trying to decide whether it might be good as our next Family Reading Book. I think: Yes. My English teacher in MS recommended this book to me, and it made me fall in love with memoirs. I recall laughing out loud in many places. On this reading, I didn't find it quite as hilarious - but certainly charming and engaging. Unfortunately, I think it may be out of print.
Sylvester
More stories in the vein of "My Family and Other Animals". Not quite as good, but excellent nonetheless. Durrell writes about people and animals with equal skill and humor. If you like quirky families, interesting locales, and vivid descriptions of wildlife and insects, this book is for you. I recommend anything written by Gerald Durrell.
Lisa
This one took me a little longer to be pulled in, and the content gets a bit sketchier at times...too much Captain Creech. But it still had me laughing out loud.
Tal
yet more hilarious adventures of the Durrell family in Corfu. laugh-out-loud funny!
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Rashi
Rashi added it
Aug 11, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Gail Dorothy
Gail Dorothy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Elisheva Rina
Elisheva Rina marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Emma Dargue
Emma Dargue marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Jill Blevins
Jill Blevins marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Aditi
Aditi added it
Jun 29, 2015
Madison Allen
Madison Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)
  • The Youngest Science
  • Six-Legged Soldiers: Using Insects as Weapons of War
  • Part of Our Time: Some Ruins & Monuments of the Thirties
  • Letters from England
  • The Corner That Held Them
Gerald Durrell was born in India in 1925. His family settled on Corfu when Durrell was a boy and he spent his time studying its wildlife. He relates these experiences in the trilogy beginning with My Family and Other Animals, and continuing with Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. In his books he writes with wry humour and great perception about both the humans and the animals ...more
More about Gerald Durrell...
My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1) Birds, Beasts, and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy, #2) A Zoo in My Luggage The Corfu Trilogy The Garden of the Gods (Corfu Trilogy, #3)