The Construction Crew

The Construction Crew

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The construction gang is tearing down an old building and laying the foundation for a new home. Workers use all kinds of trucks and tools to get the job done. And just in time for a family to move in.

The alliterative text completel with shout-out language that young children will love is just right for preschoolers....more
Published November 8th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Monica Williams
For construction site fans-a winner! Nice big bold graphics, a diverse crew- multiple races represented and some women included too- very good for kids to see that. Simple, but effective.
Karen Burt
This is a good book for pre-K or kindergarten. The pictures are very colorful and there are very few words on each page. Each page defines a term beginning with wrecking ball and ending with a home. I know the idea is to go through all the different stages of building. It did not make sense to me to tear something down to build a house, but that is the train of thought used in this book. Each page does have an easy definition of a word, with the word printed in a different color so it stands out...more
Sharon Lawler
Rhyming question and answer format that begs the preschool audience to respond!
The Library Lady
If I had any money in my book budget right now I'd buy 2 more copies. Even with the sturdier book boards and stiffer paper, this one is going to get loved to death by little boys--and some little girls too.
Bright bold art, just enough text. Rhymes that work and formed in a question/answer form that will lead to shout outs and repeat readings.
In other words, a GREAT book to add to your shelves full of Margaret Mayo, Jonathan London, the McMullans and other current authors doing books of this ilk...more
Milo P.
Feb 16, 2013 Milo P. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Library book
"I love the wrecking ball."

I love construction right now. I love to play with large trucks. When we are driving, I ask Mama and Papa to slow down when we get near construction so that I can see the big machines working.

Mama likes this book because I am practicing the alphabet. This book has big lettered words. We can stop at each page and look at the letters and see how they make words that I am very interested in saying.
Heidi
Fun rhyming. Bright, cheerful pictures. I like the asking of what is needed--kids would love to call out, especially if they pick up on the rhyming part. This would work in a preschool storytime as well as a lap-read. But I really don't like the ending. In my speech, "poem" and "home" do not rhyme. If I do this in storytime, I'd skip that part.
Jj
Nice bold + colorful illustrations, limited but fun (rhyming) text. I think this will be very popular with the toddler/preschool crowd who cannot get enough of the whole machines/things that go/construction sort of materials. I wish it were a bit larger trim size, but it is big enough to use successfully in a typical storytime setting.
Natasha
Great for the construction and tool-obsessed toddlers and young preschoolers in your life. Large, bright pictures with diverse characters will carry well for storytimes. There are even a few welcome atypical plot elements for a toddler construction book.
Edna
Great read-aloud book that allows the listener to guess and say what vehicle or tool is needed to help build a new house in a new neighborhood. Simple, brightly colored block illustrations accent the vehicle and tool.
Anna
Features construction tools and machines working to build a house.

Each page is done in rhyme.

Part of the "Construction" theme at Library Story Hour, July 2013.

Read with Bryce and Sean.
Alicia
Bright illustrations, short rhyming text, construction vehicles and the story of a new home. Okay, the toy-like illustrations aren't my favorite, but it will be a HIT at storytime (2s/3s).
Miri
I'm impressed that Meltzer was able to rhyme construction words so closely and in a way that didn't sound contrived. I bet this would be really fun for a preschool storytime.
Janet
Various construction equipment is depicted in primary colors that is necessary to demolish a building and then to build a house in its place.
Susan P
Feb 29, 2012 Susan P added it
Shelves: picture-books
Great bright illustrations and a good choice for focusing on vocabulary. I will definitely use this the next time I do a "Construction" storytime.
Vicki
If you have a child who loves trucks & construction equipment read them this book. Great pictures and simple text. I used this for Tiny Tots Class.
Samantha
Bright pictures, diverse characters, and a rhyming chant that begs to be screamed aloud! Tons of fun!
Beverly
Very simple introduction to construction trucks, with simple, boldly colored illustrations.
Alisa
For any little boys that love all machines, this is the perfect quick read with really fun rhymes.
Terrah
One of the cutest construction themed books I've seen. It's simple, just right for Luke.
Ecl  Storytellers
Describes different jobs on the construction site--call out the vehicle or tool!
Nicely illustrated. Would make a nice interactive choice for sharing.
Kris DeLabio
Good color pictures. Easy rhymes with the building of a house.
Kendra
Great construction book for toddlers, but it's a little long.
Rachel
Direct appeal for a young audience, bold illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Sure to be a hit with preschool boys.
Mercy
Trucks, construction
Lb
rhyme fill-ins
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Promoting Executive Function in the Classroom Executive Function in Education: From Theory to Practice Strategy Assessment and Instruction for Students with Learning Disabilities: From Theory to Practice Strategies for Success: Classroom Teaching Techniques for Students with Learning Disabilities Parent Guide to Hassle-Free Homework: Proven Practices that Work-from Experts in the Field