Start by marking “Nobody's Child” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Child

Nobody's Child

What's your name? Where were you born? What is your date of birth? Simple questions that we are asked throughout our lifeand shows what makes us who we really are.
Published (first published September 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody's Child

Elise
Jan 19, 2017 Elise rated it it was ok
Really not impressed with this book but then I did have high hopes.

I should probably start with saying what it isn't. It isn't a reflective book about the author's experiences of being adopted. It doesn't represent a cross section of people who have been adopted across the UK/time/the world's stories. It doesn't talk about current adoption practice particularly and how children are better informed and supported. It also isn't a heart felt read where there is a conclusion to often horrible circum
Frances
Jul 29, 2015 Frances rated it really liked it
An informative well-written book depicting the stories of foundlings throughout history. Adie reflects on her own background as an adopted child to explore the nature of family and belonging, the need to know one's proper birth-date and original name at birth. She also explores the disturbing treatment of unwanted babies in different societies and highlights how many children can be given the promise of a better future with new families.
Helen
Jun 30, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heartfelt expose written by a woman that was adopted as a child, but it centres on the issue of foundlings. The author peppers the book with some of her experience as a BBC journalist, she looks at past and present ways of dealing with foundlings, and also interviews a number of adults that were abandoned as babies. Very interesting and well worth reading.
Windy
Jul 16, 2010 Windy rated it it was ok
ollection of stories about people who were abandoned as babies, some famous names amongst them. Each chapter gives factual/historical information about illegitemacy, civil records, foundling hospitals, adoption from times past which was sometimes interesting but often boring. Also, some of the personal stories were a bit too shallow which somehow seemed disrespectful.
Elizabeth Jorden
Some of the stories in here are fascinating. But the rest of the text is so repetitive, so if you don't mind hearing the same three points over and over in slightly different words, then it could be worth a read.
Eilagh
Jul 11, 2016 Eilagh rated it it was ok
An interesting look at adoption which apart from stating some interesting facts about the social status of unmarried mothers over the ages, added nothing to the debate about orphanages. Would not recommend particularly.
Lisa Webber
Jun 20, 2016 Lisa Webber rated it really liked it
Latest book club read- an excellent choice. Well written, interesting and unexpected. A good mixture of research into the history of adoptions and foundlings with personal stories which really (and sometimes very poignantly) brought it to life.
Stuart
Jul 23, 2012 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I am usually a fiction reader but something caught my eye as I browsed the bookshelf and I was not disappointed. A mixture of her world-wide personal experiences and the personal reminisences of many 'foundlings' she has come across on her travels.
Martina Nugent
Jun 16, 2015 Martina Nugent rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It tells the real life stories of foundlings throughout the world. It is the type of book that you can pick up and read a chapter at any time and come back to again. Well worth reading
Rasma
Mar 15, 2016 Rasma rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
A new take on social history, and an important story that reflects on something horrific at the core of modernity.
Hilary Tesh
Sep 03, 2015 Hilary Tesh rated it really liked it
A fascinating and often harrowing investigation into what it means to be a foundling. Well worth reading.
Gypskip
Oct 01, 2012 Gypskip rated it really liked it
A fascinating, though heart-wrenching read. Adie writes about foundlings, and their displacement in life. A very thought provoking book which stayed with me long after finishing.
Kim Dianne Boyd
Kim Dianne Boyd rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Lobster
Lobster rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2009
Lydia Suttova
Lydia Suttova rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Val Robson
Val Robson rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Suse Nielebock
Suse Nielebock rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Val
Val rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Helen Smith
Helen Smith rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Autumn
Autumn rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Odwyer
Odwyer rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Aoife Taggart
Aoife Taggart rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Janu
Janu rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2010
Kym Brown
Kym Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Arwydd
Arwydd rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2013