Start by marking “Bipolar Disorder for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Bipolar Disorder for Dummies

Bipolar Disorder for Dummies

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Bipolar Disorder affects many more people than just the 2.5 million Americans who suffer from the disease. Like depression and other serious illnesses, bipolar disorder also affects spouses, partners, family members, friends and coworkers. And, according to the Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation, 15% of children diagnosed with ADHD may actually be suffering from early ...more
Published March 4th 2011 by For Dummies (first published August 1st 2005)

Destiny
When I was newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2007, I was searching for all the information I could on my illness. After I was released from the hospital. I asked my older brother to take me to the bookstore. While there I picked up a lot of books and this was one of them. The format is simple and easy to understand. It let me know more about my illness. The book is broken down into sections, which I really liked. This book gave me a lot of relief when I was just a confused teenager with a ...more
Dawn Wells
Excellent, for a beginner answers a ton of questions.
Renee S
Not helpful in the least. It just barely touches on the subject, doesn't offer any real resources on how to get any help for those who suffer from the disorder. It's almost like the old World Book Encyclopedia that would offer you a paragraph of a general statement on the subject you were looking up.
Heather Key
I think this is a great book for those who have Bi-polar and want a clear understand of how it works,medications, and the types of behavior associated with it. Just an easy resource book, very easy to understand.
Tommy Harmon
Eh, decent. A bit repetitive though.
Doc Kinne
Especially for someone just beginning to go through this, this book, like most of the Dummies books, was a good, if somewhat plodding in a couple of places, introduction. It tends to say the same things, or at least very similar things, in various places because a lot of the things you should look for and do remain the same in various situation. However, there is a lot of value in breaking things down in small parts and going through things methodically. This book does that.
Amber
I am having a hard time getting through this. Also some of the stuff suggested is as if the entire audience has the means to do some of these things. Not all of us have that kind of money or things that fall into place that easy.
kevin
i didn't learn too much here, at least not much that i didn't already know about Bipolar Disorder ... nice though to have it all at one's finger tips ... and of course anything from the "for Dummies" line is lovely.
Nicci
Didnt think much of this book. If you have bipolar you prob already know everything in this book because it is so basic. I would recommend, Bipolar disorder the ultimate guide.
Stephanie Moore

I thought that a book that was for dummies would actually be easy to read, but this book confused me more than it helped.
Robin
Oct 27, 2008 Robin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've learned that one of my children may be bipolar and I need to get him into the doctor for some testing.
Christina Wilder
At the risk of oversharing, I think I might be bipolar, so I'm interested in reading more about this disease.
Kara Merry
Apr 09, 2008 Kara Merry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with bipolar disorder and their families and friends
Recommended to Kara by: I pursued it myself
I think this is helpful for those with bipolar disorder
PWRL
Apr 13, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Adeliah Carter
Adeliah Carter marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Leather
Leather marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Jamie Brindamour
Jamie Brindamour marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Heather Cotton
Heather Cotton marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Harim
Harim added it
Oct 29, 2014
Hala A. Abbas
Hala A. Abbas marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Paulina Radwańska
Paulina Radwańska marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Body Language For Dummies
  • Project Management for Dummies
  • Horses For Dummies
  • Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families
Manisch-depressiv für Dummies (German Edition) The Ups and Downs of Raising a Bipolar Child: A Survival Guide for Parents The Ups and Downs of Raising a Bipolar Child: A Survival Guide for Parents

“Can you sleep-deprive your way out of a depressed episode? Some researchers think that it may be possible. Using a technique called TSD (total sleep deprivation), researchers subjected depressed bipolar patients to three cycles of sleep deprivation, each consisting of a 36-hour period of sleeplessness followed by a 12-hour sleep-in. After the sessions, over half the participants reported feeling less depressed. The trouble is, TSD runs about a 10 percent risk of kicking a bipolar sufferer into hypomania or mania — about the same rate as SSRI antidepressants. In addition, the positive effects of TSD generally wear off as soon as you return to your normal sleep/wake cycle. Researchers continue to study the potential benefits of TSD when used in combination with other therapies, but the only solid conclusion that researchers have reached is that TSD is definitely not something you should try on your own.” 0 likes