Start by marking “Bipolar Disorder for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Bipolar Disorder for Dummies

Bipolar Disorder for Dummies (For Dummies)

Bipolar Disorder affects many more people than just the 2.5 million Americans who suffer from the disease. Like depression and other serious illnesses, bipolar disorder also affects spouses, partners, family members, friends and coworkers. And, according to the Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation, 15% of children diagnosed with ADHD may actually be suffering from early ...more
Published March 4th 2011 by For Dummies (first published August 1st 2005)

Destiny
Jun 15, 2011 Destiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2007, I was searching for all the information I could on my illness. After I was released from the hospital. I asked my older brother to take me to the bookstore. While there I picked up a lot of books and this was one of them. The format is simple and easy to understand. It let me know more about my illness. The book is broken down into sections, which I really liked. This book gave me a lot of relief when I was just a confused teenager with a ...more
Dawn Wells
Sep 21, 2013 Dawn Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, for a beginner answers a ton of questions.
Kristina Forsha
Nov 18, 2016 Kristina Forsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very informative. It gave all kinds of great information for people who have Bipolar Disorder, people who know someone with Bipolar Disorder (namely family and friends) or a child/teen that has Bipolar disorder. It talks about what to talk to your doctor about concerning medications to treat the disorder, what the side effects of the medications are and anything else you need to go over with the doctor. It talks about how to get help for your child or teen that could have Bipolar D ...more
Wwmrsweasleydo
Oct 20, 2014 Wwmrsweasleydo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books lays out the basics of bipolar disorder in a very readable way. The cartoons are fun (but not really funny). The personal stories are very interesting and heartening. My only criticism would be that, in spite of the odd paragraph or section specifically about UK, Canada or Europe, it's very much aimed at people using the American mental healthcare services and living under American laws. Well worth reading, though, if you or a loved one suffer from bipolar disorder.
Doc Kinne
Especially for someone just beginning to go through this, this book, like most of the Dummies books, was a good, if somewhat plodding in a couple of places, introduction. It tends to say the same things, or at least very similar things, in various places because a lot of the things you should look for and do remain the same in various situation. However, there is a lot of value in breaking things down in small parts and going through things methodically. This book does that.
Renee S
Feb 20, 2014 Renee S rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not helpful in the least. It just barely touches on the subject, doesn't offer any real resources on how to get any help for those who suffer from the disorder. It's almost like the old World Book Encyclopedia that would offer you a paragraph of a general statement on the subject you were looking up.
Heather Key
Aug 03, 2014 Heather Key rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bipolar-disorder
I think this is a great book for those who have Bi-polar and want a clear understand of how it works,medications, and the types of behavior associated with it. Just an easy resource book, very easy to understand.
Danielle
May 08, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology-read
This book was great at educating both the person with bipolar disorder and their loved ones. It is full of information on the whos,whats,and hows of bipolar disorder and ultimately breaks it down in a way that anyone could understand and enjoy.
kevin
Apr 28, 2008 kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i didn't learn too much here, at least not much that i didn't already know about Bipolar Disorder ... nice though to have it all at one's finger tips ... and of course anything from the "for Dummies" line is lovely.
Amber
Jun 28, 2012 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am having a hard time getting through this. Also some of the stuff suggested is as if the entire audience has the means to do some of these things. Not all of us have that kind of money or things that fall into place that easy.
Tommy Harmon
Eh, decent. A bit repetitive though.
Sinclair
May 27, 2016 Sinclair rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Covering the basics
Stephanie Moore

I thought that a book that was for dummies would actually be easy to read, but this book confused me more than it helped.
Robin
Oct 27, 2008 Robin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've learned that one of my children may be bipolar and I need to get him into the doctor for some testing.
Christina Wilder
At the risk of oversharing, I think I might be bipolar, so I'm interested in reading more about this disease.
Nicci
Aug 12, 2011 Nicci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didnt think much of this book. If you have bipolar you prob already know everything in this book because it is so basic. I would recommend, Bipolar disorder the ultimate guide.
Kara Merry
Apr 07, 2008 Kara Merry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with bipolar disorder and their families and friends
Recommended to Kara by: I pursued it myself
I think this is helpful for those with bipolar disorder
Dawson
Sep 13, 2016 Dawson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good, however time for an updated, revised ed.
Mary C Fahrney
Mary C Fahrney rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Jeff Creecy
Jeff Creecy rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2017
John Bess
John Bess rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Sarah Walker
Sarah Walker rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Christina Bella
Christina Bella rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2016
Claire Knowles
Claire Knowles rated it it was ok
May 30, 2013
Tracy Williams
Tracy Williams rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Teena Roberts-Adler
Teena Roberts-Adler rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Jez Bon
Jez Bon rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Loraine
Loraine rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
  • Mormonism for Dummies
  • Cool Careers For Dummies
  • Emotional Intelligence For Dummies
  • Psychology for Dummies
  • Counselling Skills For Dummies® (For Dummies)
  • Calculus for Dummies
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • Medical Terminology for Dummies
  • Stress Management for Dummies
  • Improving Your Memory for Dummies
  • Astrology For Dummies
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Bartending For Dummies
  • Biochemistry for Dummies
  • Blogging for Dummies
  • Body Language For Dummies

“Can you sleep-deprive your way out of a depressed episode? Some researchers think that it may be possible. Using a technique called TSD (total sleep deprivation), researchers subjected depressed bipolar patients to three cycles of sleep deprivation, each consisting of a 36-hour period of sleeplessness followed by a 12-hour sleep-in. After the sessions, over half the participants reported feeling less depressed. The trouble is, TSD runs about a 10 percent risk of kicking a bipolar sufferer into hypomania or mania — about the same rate as SSRI antidepressants. In addition, the positive effects of TSD generally wear off as soon as you return to your normal sleep/wake cycle. Researchers continue to study the potential benefits of TSD when used in combination with other therapies, but the only solid conclusion that researchers have reached is that TSD is definitely not something you should try on your own.” 1 likes