Start by marking “MacGregor Tells the World: A Novel” as Want to Read:
MacGregor Tells the World: A Novel

MacGregor Tells the World: A Novel

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The highly acclaimed author of Stop That Girl delivers a masterfully plotted debut novel–at once a mystery of identity, sly literary satire, and coming-of age story–capturing a young man’s impossible and heroic first love.

Twenty-two-year-old MacGregor West, orphaned as a boy, is on a quest: to understand the circumstances of his mother’s untimely death. On a foggy San Fran
Published June 12th 2007 by Random House Trade Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about MacGregor Tells the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MacGregor Tells the World

Bethany Andrews
"MacGregor Tells the World" is a story about struggling to find and understand your own identity. The identity in question belongs to MacGregor West, an adolescent boy who has been living with his aunt and cousin in San Francisico. Mac, as he is usually called, has never known his father---as a matter of fact, he's not real sure who is father even is. His mother dropped him off at his aunt's one day, and never returned. Weeks later her body was found by the police, leaving Mac an orphan of sorts ...more
Tim Tendick
This was one of the three books in my life that I stopped reading. My respected high school English teacher insisted that you give every book 100 pages to earn your interest, and it was truly a struggle to make it to 100 on this one. The author made a gallant but utterly unsuccessful attempt at writing as a man, but the book was just unreadable. Sorry.
Memet
Set in SF, this was an engrossing read about a young man (finally)coming to terms with being abandoned by his mother and the mystery that surrounded that critical event of his childhood. Some lovely writing in here. Can't wait to read her other book, Stop that Girl.
Lemar
I give it 5 stars due its ability to take difficult characters and make the exposition of their lives seem breezy and effortless. This is a fun book to read while it deals with uncomfortable issues that touch many modern lives.
Christina Marie Rau
This book was spectacular. I want to give it to everyone I know because it is simple and pretty and about a nice boy, which is a nice reminder that they exist.
Douglas
Great writing style. Quirky sense of humor, bold descriptions, and an insane plot that keeps you motivated to read more.
Tori
I found this book very weird (and not in a good way). I didn't think the main characters were likable, hard to finish.
Paul Andrew
Beautifully written...a mesmerising journey of self-discovery.
Brenda Webster
I loved this. A quirky fresh voice.
Alicia
Pretentious and annoying.
Dave Ruyle
Dave Ruyle marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Octavio Solis
Octavio Solis is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Monica Tanza
Monica Tanza marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Ireland Fuller
Ireland Fuller marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Maggie Pate
Maggie Pate marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Stop That Girl: A Novel in Stories Savage Breast My Postwar Life: New Writings from Japan and Okinawa The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002 Chicago Quarterly Review: The Chicago Issue