How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic

How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Deals with one fallacy, explaining what the fallacy is, giving and analysing an example, outlining when/where/why the particular fallacy tends to occur and finally showing how you can perpetrate the fallacy on other people in order to win an argument.
Published May 1st 2006 by Continuum (first published March 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Win Every Argument, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Win Every Argument

Alex
Jan 07, 2013 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pedants, Logicians and people who like to argue/debate
The book is an A-Z of fallacies people make while putting forward arguments listed by their Latin title. Each fallacy is described with examples and things to look out for when they are being committed. Once you have read this book you'll find yourself spotting the fallacies all the time when chatting to your friends, watching TV interviews or reading opinion pieces. A worthy read and really handy for people who like to debate and argue.
Jacqueline Quackenbush
I was disappointed in this book. While I have some background in logic it’s in rather selective topics so I thought a book like this that was targeting beginners would be useful but, while not difficult, this books isn’t particularly accessible. It’s organized as an alphabetical list of the different logical fallacies one might encounter, with a short list at the end of the book sorting the already discussed fallacies into their various groups.

How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Log...more
Anugerah Erlaut
The content of the book is good. Madsen Pirie managed to explain the different fallacies commonly found in arguments do the the soundness of the logic contained. A lot of different types of logical fallacies were explained, and they were really interesting.

Madsen included witty examples, sometimes forcing us to think and smile as we understood the fallacies. Some fallacies which he explained are really technincal and quite to grasp, while others are commonly practiced in our everyday experience...more
Tom Jenson
A great beginners guide to understanding, recognizing and (unfortunately) using some of the most common types of logical fallacies.

The book is essentially an alphabetical list of common fallacies with definitions, explanations, and examples. A generous helping of dry wit is used extensively throughout the book, injecting puns and the like into the examples, which helps to liven the relatively dry material - something I appreciated, though others may find annoying.

I found it unfortunate that th...more
Marian
If this was taught in school and pupils would be debating regularly, during a "logical argumentation and debate" class, it would be much easier to rationally communicate with people. Unfortunately, nowadays people make frequent use of logical fallacies, while comforting themselves with the feeling that they are right and anyone with a different opinion has lost his/her mind. A highly recommended read!
Preston Pierson
Very good source of information, and had some genuinely awesome insights. It was, however, a bit too dry, and often read like a highly structured textbook, which made it difficult to read for longer than 10 minutes at a time.
Joe Satrianto
Waktu kapan hari jalan-jalan ke Togamas, aku menyempatkan diri buat membuang uangku demi dituker dengan sejilid buku karangannya Madsen Pirie yang berjudul “Rahasia Selalu Menang Berargumentasi – Penggunaan dan Penyalahgunaan Logika”.

Buku yang keren, pikirku. Judulnya aja sudah satir gitu. Keterangan di sampul belakang bukunya juga sama satirnya:

PERINGATAN PENERBIT!
Di tangan yang salah, buku ini bisa sangat berbahaya. Kami sarankan Anda mempersenjatai diri dengan buku ini dan menjauhkannya dari...more
Robert
No, it does not reveal how to win every argument. It's just an alphabetical analysis of logical fallacies. The attempts at humor are sometimes clever, but often just come off as the author acting superior. The relationship between fallacies is almost completely neglected (such as the relationship, or difference, between "slippery slope" and "runaway train" fallacies). Some interesting stuff, but not enough justify slogging through this rather difficult read.
Onoskal
This book is very good. It trains you into looking for fallacies often used in arguments, and it also gives tips and tricks on how you might pull such fallacy off with flying colors. The examples and their accompanying punch line also well received: it brings enlightenment with a sense of good humor in it.

You can read it lightly, you can read it slowly to let them all seep down inside: the choice is on you. You might want to re-read it a few times though if you don't have someone to spare with....more
Célio Oliveira
When I read the title, I thought it will be a very good book to read, but I was wrong.

The topic of the book is very interesting, this is something that I really like to read, the problem is the way that book it is organized.
The A to Z didn't work very well. Each fallacy is very easy to understand, the examples given are extremely helpful. The problem is the lack of a line of thought between fallacy. I believed it should be more easy if the author grouped fallacies by subject.

Despite all that...more
Charlotte
Montreal Freethinkers Book Club pick for this September 2013. I found it in pdf online and thought it sounded interesting. It was okay. I think I would have preferred if the fallacies were listed by category rather than alphabetically to better illustrate the subtle. difference between some of them. The examples are very good and the advice on how to use each fallacy to your advantage quite humurous. All in all though, most of the fallacies are pretty obvious and I didn't find the book particula...more
Hernando Giraldo tenorio
Excelente herramienta para identificar falacias.
Daniel
I think the problem with this book is that readers who would purchase it are likely to be acutely aware of the fallacies that often undermine logical arguments and have no problem in drawing real life examples into their mind. That being said i did find it interesting to a degree, but I was expecting a slightly more flowing narrative which may have mitigated the extent to which I felt like i was reading an academic study.
M.F. Moonzajer
One of the best technical books on logic and fallacy, I enjoyed reading this book, although most of the fallacies introduced in this book are from Western logic, but they can also be used in Eastern.

I recommend this for philosophy students, and mostly for critics writing. It helps to understand the structure of fallacious sentences and have a logical structured writing.
Pablo
Luego de leer este breve libro, nunca volveré a redactar un argumento sin revisarlo 5 veces, como mínimo. Conciso y escueto (quizás demasiado para mi gusto) donde realmente brilla este texto es en los ejemplos a cada falacia lógica. Entretenido, a ratos hilarante, una buena sacudida a la complacencia argumentativa.
Edourd
Easy and fairly practical read. Not as helpful as originally thought in regard to helping prepare for the Law School Admissions Test, but a good way to brush up on different commonly used fallacies in argumentation. The author's comments are at times amusing, at other times they are border-line irksome.
Colin
Can't quite make up its mind whether it's a basic guide to the use of logic in argument or an entirely non-serious book made to nestle between "101 uses for a dead logicians" and "Is it just me or is everything fallacious?" on the Waterstones stocking filler table at Christmas.
File under middlebrow.
Arabian Rihanna
This book explains a number of logical fallacies committed in arguments. I am guilty of quite a few, but I wasn't aware of that.

I definitely need to read this guide for a second time. A few very common fallacies were explained easily, but others were harder to grasp.
Jay
Anyone who is interested in studying philosophy, or who is in the habit of getting into arguments, should most definitely read this book. It does more than simply list fallacies; it encourages the reader to enjoy them, and perhaps more importantly, reason itself.
João Pedro Figueiredo
Really small book, It only took 2 hours to read. In my honest opinion it has some valid points and good arguments we can use on a daily basis, however, the book is poorly organized which ends up leading to a lesser interest and a poor learning of all the arguments
Emma Willis
A very interesting and enjoyable read. I doubt I would use it to win arguments, but I will certainly be more aware of these fallacies when they are used.
Lucia Gannon

My 20yr old son bought this for me. He will be sorry he did! Can't wait to try it out...
-Marisa -
Full of psychology's words in it...good for amateur to increase knowledge
Brett
*Author's note: Opponent must blatantly use a logical fallacy
Vahe Holtian
This book has wit and makes you think and smile.
Erika Jean
Super sarcastic and entertaining hahaha.
Marc
Fun book
Dangerous in the wrong hands ;)
Arif
logic 101, logic for beginner's bible
Dane Stevenson
Dane Stevenson marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Jolina
Jolina marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, and Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion
  • The Fine Art of Small Talk: How to Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills--and Leave a Positive Impression!
  • Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • Assholeology: The Science Behind Getting Your Way - and Getting Away with it
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • How to Instantly Connect with Anyone: 96 All-New Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine
  • Utilitarianism and Other Essays
  • New Theories of Everything
  • Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth in 5 Minutes or Less in Any Conversation or Situation
  • Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government--Saving Privacy in the Digital Age
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • How To Speak And Write Correctly
101 Great Philosophers: Makers of Modern Thought Economics Made Simple: How money, trade and markets really work Think Tank: The Story of the Adam Smith Institute. Madsen Pirie Freedom 101 The Sherlock Holmes IQ Book: Test Your IQ Against the Great Detective