Start by marking “Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series, #1)

Hollywood Wives (Hollywood #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  9,151 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
They lunch at Ma Maison and the Bistro on salads and hot gossip. They cruise Rodeo Drive in their Mercedes and Rolls, turning shopping at Giorgio and Gucci into an art form. They pursue the body beautiful at the Workout and Body Asylum.

Dressed by St. Laurent and Galanos, they dine at the latest restaurants on the rise and fall of one another's fortunes. They are the Hollyw
Published October 1st 2002 by Pocket books (first published July 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Wives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Wives

Ana
Nobody is allowed to fail
within a two-mile radius of the Beverly Hills Hotel.

Am I the only one who's never heard of Jackie Collins? Apparently so. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, Goodreads.

As I aim to become a Hollywood wife someday, I instantly knew I simply had to read this book.

photo tumblr_m60gbcTzBv1r91qmo_zpspzvfm78s.gif

In all seriousness though, this was a fun book. Nothing profound – but just what I needed at this moment.

photo tumblr_mmr41xOMur1rjumpqo1_500_zpshwrlgpe0.gif

photo tumblr_nv78t73jQF1uoi5gio1_500_zpsqy8itziq.gif

And there are murders, too.

photo tumblr_lrplnpqlEn1qgl5gho1_500_zpsgedho6qp.gif

No, I've never heard of the TV mini-series, either. Apparen
Kathleen
Mar 13, 2008 Kathleen rated it liked it
I actually wrote a book report about this in 10th grade. It didn't seem weird to me at the time and my English teacher didn't say anything about it, but I have to wonder what I was smoking to think this was the sort of book I should write a book report on.
Karla
Jenn Andrew
Jul 24, 2008 Jenn Andrew rated it it was amazing
Even though Jackie Collins is considered a fluff writer, I love her books. She is a good break from the serious drama and mystery type books that I like to read. This book is very entertaining and it delves into the lives of the famous, rich and exotic type of people.

She has a way of writing her story so that you never really know if it is all true or not. The more money made, the more opportunities for people in the spotlight to act crazy and get away with it. You hear it all the time on Enter
Brian Francis
Jul 26, 2012 Brian Francis rated it liked it
Hollywood Wives , written by Jackie Collins, was the sixth book I read in my Summer of Guilty Pleasure reads. Published in 1983, it was the 50 Shades of its day; a dirty, scandalous book that everyone read, but only behind closed doors.

It reminded me of the TV show, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous , which aired in the 80s. Robin Leach would tour the world in search of millionaires who allowed camera crews into their mansions. It was hard not to fall under the spell. Wealthy people can seem
 Martin
Jul 12, 2012 Martin rated it it was amazing
A classic. Here's a little detail account of how I got to read it:

jenn
Mar 07, 2011 jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
For some reason, this book was not really on my radar until it got chosen by my trashy book club. Which is appropriate, because this is the trashiest trash that ever trashed. It's so trashy that, while I wonder how much of it is based in reality, I sort of don't even want to know.

The three stars are almost entirely for the crazy audacity it took just to put the thing together. But it's tough to get into the characters because most of them can't go more than 4-6 hours without sex, which just get
Lee
Jun 10, 2008 Lee added it
Shelves: fiction-general
Sometimes I like to read crap.

If memory serves, this was particularly stupendous crap.
Piper Silverthorne
Mar 23, 2008 Piper Silverthorne rated it really liked it
Shelves: devoured
This is not intellectually stimulating material, but sometimes I like a good quick rollercoaster ride of a dirty novel. This one is definitely dirty, and follows some very dynamic characters through all kinds of troubling situations. One line stuck with me and I actually added it to my mantra list... "This is your life, Piper Silverthorne, can you hack it?" Obviously the name was different (Buddy Hudson), but when I feel particularly challenged or WHATEVER I say that and it makes me smile and so ...more
Angie
Jan 19, 2010 Angie rated it it was amazing
Thought I would give myself a break from the old classics and try some classic trash and this book got me hooked. I absolutely love Jackie Collins. She's fun and easy to read and I've happened to get a couple of friends reading her works too. God bless Jackie Collins!
Jaclyn
Feb 24, 2012 Jaclyn rated it liked it
This is book No. 3 in my Chic Lit through the ages course a friend jokingly suggested to me, and I must say I'm loving it. This book was written in 1983 (my birth year), and it's shocking how much changed between this one and the book before it, "The Valley of the Dolls." In "Valley" and "The Best of Everything," sex was minimal. You could tell by how it was addressed that writing about such a subject was taboo. You can even see it in the movies; in "Everything," some of the sex scenes are taken ...more
Harv Griffin
Jul 29, 2013 Harv Griffin rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, own
my pic of the book

This is my favorite Jackie Collins novel. Actually, it's the only Jackie Collins novel I've been able to get beyond several chapters. Her other novels haven't worked for me, at least the four or five others I've tried to read, but this one pushes all my buttons.

Way back in the Eighties I was writing my own "high concept" Hollywood type novel; HOLLYWOOD WIVES was on my research reading list (monkey see, monkey do). I've read it at least twice; I suspect three or four times.

The wives are the real
Sara L.
Aug 22, 2011 Sara L. rated it really liked it
Something is funky with the way this book is going on my shelf. I have read the original Hollywood Wives, not the New Generation. I have no
idea what possessed me to pick it up, without even its jacket on, at a cafe bookshelf. As I read it though, it was so bizarre to me how it seemed to jump from unrelated story to unrelated story.

Of course, the characters' lives began to intertwine, but there was still a bizarre outlier...until it all came crashing together at the end.

It was funny to me that
Travis
Mar 01, 2014 Travis rated it liked it
Hollywood Wives is not what I expected, which was a campy romp full of glitz, glamour, and sex. There was plenty of that, but also something darker, and not particularly campy. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was not a romance novel, nor an 80's version of Real Housewives. Think more pulp fiction. It doesn't celebrate or laud the vapid, sordid, and macabre; instead, Collins invites you to root for the utter destruction and humiliation of her protagonists. They are so self-serving and vain, ...more
Ushlah Aluthge
Nov 04, 2012 Ushlah Aluthge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Loving, spending & succeeding –no one does it better than the Hollywood Wives.

Wow Jachie Collins you have done it again. Great Novel.

-Glamorous, beautiful & demanding –When life is this fast, there are no guarantees. Yes and also don’t ever forget- Status is everything too. This novel is a scorching blockbuster that exposes the glittering bitchery of Beverly Hills –before racing to a chilling & unexpected climax.
Shawn Byrnes
Apr 10, 2008 Shawn Byrnes rated it liked it
This book is exactly what you'd expect it to be....trash, utter trash; but that doesn't suggest that it wasn't entertaining, because it was. If you'd pick up any random tabloid and have it novel-sized, you'd get Hollywood Wives. This book is filled with everything you can imagine that is delicioulsy scandelous, and I loved every trashy page of it!
-A
Feb 18, 2013 -A rated it really liked it
I read this book during summer when I was younger (so much!! - I was in elementary school. 6th grade?).
And I was glued to it - it was completely different from all previous reads and the writing style was marvelous (even in translation).
Ah, I want to read it again sometime :)
B-original
Jul 02, 2009 B-original rated it it was amazing
This book and I have a love/hate relationship, I loved the book, Jackie Collins is wonderful, I hate that I only read it after my mother smacked me across the face with it!! LOL! I had the imprint Holl Wiv on my cheek for an hour!!!
Jon
Dec 29, 2008 Jon rated it liked it
Shelves: light-n-breezy
Theres no denying it's complete trash and the author and her sister have made a lot of money somehow on not being particularly good at anything in particular, as French and Saunders woudl say 'Lucky Bitches'!. Still its cult status trash and you can't help getting a smile out of it, 3 stars!
Zara
Feb 18, 2009 Zara rated it it was amazing
Read it when I was too young to be reading it at all. Loved it!!!!!! It is so raw, vivid and really takes you into the decadence of the entertainment industry. And in some aspects-the reailty of the lifestyle breaks your heart too...
Nurul Akmal
Jul 23, 2007 Nurul Akmal rated it really liked it
borrowed this interesting book from a friend...havent been able to return it back to her just yet...sorry farah...:)
Kim Comardelle
Oct 28, 2015 Kim Comardelle rated it really liked it
My very first Jackie Collins book I stole from my mother when I was 16!
Flora
Mar 27, 2008 Flora rated it liked it
You know, for a trash classic, this could be better than it is. But the TV movie is priceless.
Mangalam Shiva
Oct 01, 2015 Mangalam Shiva rated it really liked it
LOVELY FICTION
Paulina Urrutia
Feb 10, 2008 Paulina Urrutia rated it liked it
This is definitely a guilty pleasure. It's fun, scandalous, juicy and, yes, slightly raunchy. Great for light summer reading.
Marete
Jan 13, 2014 Marete rated it really liked it
I can't believe I actually read this and loved it! I used to make fun of ladies who read these "trash" books, but honestly, I love them!
Read On!
Jun 18, 2015 Read On! rated it it was amazing
It's Hollywood. For Elaine Conti, with friends like hers, who needs enemies? Being wife to the movie legend, actor Ross Conti, is all that gives her any clout in this town. The trouble is, Ross' days on the screen are, in effect, over.
Regularly dining at the most expensive, must be seen at restaurants, Elaine and her two best 'friends', Karen and Maralee, gossip, bitch and generally pamper themselves within an inch of their lives. But Elaine's finances are slowly dwindling and the only way to b
Sati Marie Frost
Hollywood Wives focuses on the lives of three women married to men in the film business: Elaine, whose marriage soured about the time that her husband stopped getting good movie roles, and who is trying to hang onto her status and reputation by tooth and claw; Montana, second wife of a film director and aspiring director-producer who's finding it a challenge to make a name for herself in the male-dominated film industry; and Angel, naive new wife of a wannabe superstar who doesn't seem to know w ...more
Christian McLaughlin
Sep 14, 2016 Christian McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
Every aspiring writer of hardcore glitzy trash should study this Baked Alaska of modern soap lit — it's flaming, elaborately constructed, and as much as you want to, you'll be unable to devour it in one setting. Jackie, the Charles Dickens of Beverly Hills "exposes" the sex and power struggles of the Rodeo Drive set with short chapters, shorter paragraphs and a lovably vapid, oversexed cast of 20 major characters who all get exactly what they deserve in one of the most ingeniously whipped-up cli ...more
Joe
Dec 26, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing
The book that has everything. Money! Sex! Power! Intrigue! Social Climbing and Falling! Even a Murder or Two! Jackie Collins cloaks her brilliant writing in a deliberately trashy format, in order, perhaps, to preserve her reputation as a writer for those who devour the magazines sold at drugstore checkout counters. I fact, she is a writer of dazzling though minimalist style, a plotter of dazzling ingenuity, who never stops the action even as she's probing character. Hollywood wives has a dizzyin ...more
Hollywood Under the Covers 3 27 Jun 02, 2013 03:29PM
Jackie Collins Fans: Hollywood Wives 1 6 Nov 15, 2012 12:41AM
  • Lace
  • Queenie
  • Once Is Not Enough (Jacqueline Susann)
  • Scruples
  • Love And Desire And Hate
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • Jacqueline Susann's Shadow Of The Dolls
  • Deceptions
  • Once in a Lifetime
  • The Lonely Lady
  • Bling
There have been many imitators, but only Jackie Collins can tell you what really goes on in the fastest lane of all. From Beverly Hills bedrooms to a raunchy prowl along the streets of Hollywood; from glittering rock parties and concerts to stretch limos and the mansions of power brokers-Jackie Collins chronicles the real truth from the inside looking out.

Jackie Collins has been called a "raunchy
More about Jackie Collins...

Hollywood (5 books)
  • Hollywood Husbands (Hollywood Series, #2)
  • Hollywood Kids (Hollywood Series, #3)
  • Hollywood Wives - The New Generation (Hollywood Series, #4)
  • Hollywood Divorces (Hollywood Series, #5)