Hollywood Wives

Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  6,718 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Power! Sex! Money! Fame! - the new Hollywood wives are back with a vengeance. Ambitious, young, smart and lethal, whatever they don't have, they want - and whatever these women want, they get. You will meet Lissa Roman, mega movie and singing star, her wild daughter Nicci, Michael Scorsinni, the handsome private investigator with an edge, and Taylor Singer, a sometime actr...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Pocket books (first published July 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Wives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Wives

Kathleen
I actually wrote a book report about this in 10th grade. It didn't seem weird to me at the time and my English teacher didn't say anything about it, but I have to wonder what I was smoking to think this was the sort of book I should write a book report on.
JC Andrew
Even though Jackie Collins is considered a fluff writer, I love her books. She is a good break from the serious drama and mystery type books that I like to read. This book is very entertaining and it delves into the lives of the famous, rich and exotic type of people.

She has a way of writing her story so that you never really know if it is all true or not. The more money made, the more opportunities for people in the spotlight to act crazy and get away with it. You hear it all the time on Enter...more
Lee
Jun 10, 2008 Lee added it
Shelves: fiction-general
Sometimes I like to read crap.

If memory serves, this was particularly stupendous crap.
Brian Francis
Hollywood Wives , written by Jackie Collins, was the sixth book I read in my Summer of Guilty Pleasure reads. Published in 1983, it was the 50 Shades of its day; a dirty, scandalous book that everyone read, but only behind closed doors.

It reminded me of the TV show, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous , which aired in the 80s. Robin Leach would tour the world in search of millionaires who allowed camera crews into their mansions. It was hard not to fall under the spell. Wealthy people can seem...more
jenn
For some reason, this book was not really on my radar until it got chosen by my trashy book club. Which is appropriate, because this is the trashiest trash that ever trashed. It's so trashy that, while I wonder how much of it is based in reality, I sort of don't even want to know.

The three stars are almost entirely for the crazy audacity it took just to put the thing together. But it's tough to get into the characters because most of them can't go more than 4-6 hours without sex, which just get...more
Piper Silverthorne
This is not intellectually stimulating material, but sometimes I like a good quick rollercoaster ride of a dirty novel. This one is definitely dirty, and follows some very dynamic characters through all kinds of troubling situations. One line stuck with me and I actually added it to my mantra list... "This is your life, Piper Silverthorne, can you hack it?" Obviously the name was different (Buddy Hudson), but when I feel particularly challenged or WHATEVER I say that and it makes me smile and so...more
Angie
Thought I would give myself a break from the old classics and try some classic trash and this book got me hooked. I absolutely love Jackie Collins. She's fun and easy to read and I've happened to get a couple of friends reading her works too. God bless Jackie Collins!
Jaclyn
This is book No. 3 in my Chic Lit through the ages course a friend jokingly suggested to me, and I must say I'm loving it. This book was written in 1983 (my birth year), and it's shocking how much changed between this one and the book before it, "The Valley of the Dolls." In "Valley" and "The Best of Everything," sex was minimal. You could tell by how it was addressed that writing about such a subject was taboo. You can even see it in the movies; in "Everything," some of the sex scenes are taken...more
Harv Griffin
my pic of the book

This is my favorite Jackie Collins novel. Actually, it's the only Jackie Collins novel I've been able to get beyond several chapters. Her other novels haven't worked for me, at least the four or five others I've tried to read, but this one pushes all my buttons.

Way back in the Eighties I was writing my own "high concept" Hollywood type novel; HOLLYWOOD WIVES was on my research reading list (monkey see, monkey do). I've read it at least twice; I suspect three or four times.

The wives are the real...more
Sara L.
Something is funky with the way this book is going on my shelf. I have read the original Hollywood Wives, not the New Generation. I have no
idea what possessed me to pick it up, without even its jacket on, at a cafe bookshelf. As I read it though, it was so bizarre to me how it seemed to jump from unrelated story to unrelated story.

Of course, the characters' lives began to intertwine, but there was still a bizarre outlier...until it all came crashing together at the end.

It was funny to me that...more
Travis
Hollywood Wives is not what I expected, which was a campy romp full of glitz, glamour, and sex. There was plenty of that, but also something darker, and not particularly campy. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was not a romance novel, nor an 80's version of Real Housewives. Think more pulp fiction. It doesn't celebrate or laud the vapid, sordid, and macabre; instead, Collins invites you to root for the utter destruction and humiliation of her protagonists. They are so self-serving and vain,...more
Ushlah Aluthge
Loving, spending & succeeding –no one does it better than the Hollywood Wives.

Wow Jachie Collins you have done it again. Great Novel.

-Glamorous, beautiful & demanding –When life is this fast, there are no guarantees. Yes and also don’t ever forget- Status is everything too. This novel is a scorching blockbuster that exposes the glittering bitchery of Beverly Hills –before racing to a chilling & unexpected climax.
Shawn Byrnes
This book is exactly what you'd expect it to be....trash, utter trash; but that doesn't suggest that it wasn't entertaining, because it was. If you'd pick up any random tabloid and have it novel-sized, you'd get Hollywood Wives. This book is filled with everything you can imagine that is delicioulsy scandelous, and I loved every trashy page of it!
Jon
Theres no denying it's complete trash and the author and her sister have made a lot of money somehow on not being particularly good at anything in particular, as French and Saunders woudl say 'Lucky Bitches'!. Still its cult status trash and you can't help getting a smile out of it, 3 stars!
-A
I read this book during summer when I was younger (so much!! - I was in elementary school. 6th grade?).
And I was glued to it - it was completely different from all previous reads and the writing style was marvelous (even in translation).
Ah, I want to read it again sometime :)
B-original
This book and I have a love/hate relationship, I loved the book, Jackie Collins is wonderful, I hate that I only read it after my mother smacked me across the face with it!! LOL! I had the imprint Holl Wiv on my cheek for an hour!!!
Zara
Read it when I was too young to be reading it at all. Loved it!!!!!! It is so raw, vivid and really takes you into the decadence of the entertainment industry. And in some aspects-the reailty of the lifestyle breaks your heart too...
Grant
I have a very demanding, stressful job as a prosecutor so lately I've been finding solace in books that require the bare minimum in terms of investment and reading comprehension. This book might be trash but I loved it from start to finish. I have to give Jackie Collins credit. She knows how to craft a solid page-turner and she's certainly got a knack for dialogue. My only criticisms would be that the novel seems a bit dated now in 2014, that it ties up storylines a little too cleanly, and that...more
Marete
I can't believe I actually read this and loved it! I used to make fun of ladies who read these "trash" books, but honestly, I love them!
Paulina Urrutia
This is definitely a guilty pleasure. It's fun, scandalous, juicy and, yes, slightly raunchy. Great for light summer reading.
Nurul Akmal
borrowed this interesting book from a friend...havent been able to return it back to her just yet...sorry farah...:)
Emily
You know, for a trash classic, this could be better than it is. But the TV movie is priceless.
Ingrid
I gave this 4 stars taking into consideration that it was written about 30 years ago when Hollywood was not as exposed as it is today ( No TMZ,no Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, no Perez Hilton). This book must have been a real eye opener to what might have gone on in that crazy world. There are interesting characters, good plot lines, a bit of suspense, and some R rated scenes to spice things up. Had the book been written today, I probably would have given this 3 stars as it would not be uniq...more
Kathryn
I saw parallels to Jacqueline Susann's style in this book - the story is split primarily between three women.

Elaine is presented as a stereotypical, vapid, Beverly Hills wife who pays more attention to outward appearances.

Montana is a second wife and ambitious. She wants to see her screenplay produced and is constantly railroaded by her director husband and some asshole producer.

Angel is fresh off the turnip truck, married to a loser and probably the only person in the book without dreams of st...more
Sati Marie Frost
Hollywood Wives focuses on the lives of three women married to men in the film business: Elaine, whose marriage soured about the time that her husband stopped getting good movie roles, and who is trying to hang onto her status and reputation by tooth and claw; Montana, second wife of a film director and aspiring director-producer who's finding it a challenge to make a name for herself in the male-dominated film industry; and Angel, naive new wife of a wannabe superstar who doesn't seem to know w...more
Elizabeth
another bookclub request classic. good and trashy. and i even learned something from this book (i know, right?! i can actually learn. i'm full-on WOPR computer...how about a nice game of chess?) anyway here is what i learned: Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson will always, always arrive late to your party so you should totally plan ahead or whatever. and incest is waaaaaaaay better than calling your son worthless. (and now you know why it's two stars). WHAT. THE. F? seriously? SERIOUSLY? oh and th...more
Trisha
When I first started reading this book, I immediately thought, OH MAN, THIS IS TRASHY! And I also got depressed by how horrible most of the characters were. Cheating lying bastards, the lot of 'em! Of course there WERE the odd shining exceptions to that general rule, the odd few characters I could actually sympathise with. There were even a couple I could...gasp...RESPECT. I didn't really expect this to be a 'murder mystery' type thing either. Not so much a mystery about who murdered who, but wh...more
Amelia
Hollywood Wives is packed with all of Jackie Collins' trademarks. It's an amazing journey into the high flying lives of Hollywood stars, the has-beens and the newbies. The intricacies of Hollywood life, even its most shallow moments are bared for all to read and experience. You can almost feel the electric energy and pull of the land of dreams.
The story itself is fast-paced, thrilling and culminates in a fantastic climax, albeit one you figure out before it happens. But it's great, still.
Not in...more
Kate Elizabeth
SO TRASHY. So ridiculous. So perfect to read on a plane. I bought this book for the first time when I was around 17 because someone mentioned it on "Saved By The Bell" (true story). I do not remember what I thought about it then, but I imagine I was at least slightly scandalized. Apparently this is part of a "series," so logically, I should probably read the rest.
Kricket
i got 3/4 through but it was so cheesy and dated. also i was getting stressed out about this party that one wife was throwing and i realized i hated her. and then i realized i hated all the characters.
Hollywood Under the Covers 3 25 Jun 02, 2013 03:29PM
  • Deceptions
  • Jacqueline Susann's Shadow Of The Dolls
  • Once In A Lifetime
  • The Carpetbaggers
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • The First Wives Club
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)

There have been many imitators, but only Jackie Collins can tell you what really goes on in the fastest lane of all. From Beverly Hills bedrooms to a raunchy prowl along the streets of Hollywood; from glittering rock parties and concerts to stretch limos and the mansions of power brokers-Jackie Collins chronicles the real truth from the inside looking out.

Jackie Collins has been called a "raunchy...more
More about Jackie Collins...
Lucky (Lucky Santangelo, #2) Chances (Lucky Santangelo, #1) Poor Little Bitch Girl (Lucky Santangelo, #7) Lady Boss Vendetta: Lucky's Revenge