Start by marking “Successful Intelligence: How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success in Life” as Want to Read:

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Argues that creative and practical intelligence, rather than the results of a standard IQ test, are the keys to succeeding in the business world and doing well at most jobs.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Successful Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Successful Intelligence

Rick
I teach Intellectual Assessment Theory to graduate students. And, for years, I have liked what I have read about Sternberg's theory of Successful Intelligence. But I have never been able to put my hands on a chapter that nicely describes the construct and its components. So, I decided to go and read one of the original works he wrote describing Successful Intelligence. Lo and behold! Exactly what I wanted!

Successful Intelligence involves three components: Analytical Intelligence (school ability)
Melissa Baggett
More information on how school performance and life performance are two completely different things. Sternberg takes IQ and other standardized tests to task by pointing out that the kinds of intelligence tested are static, decontextualized versions of the real thing. A person with the intelligence to become successful may not score particularly high on tests but has the analytical intelligence (represented but poorly on IQ tests), creative intelligence and practical intelligence. A truly intelli ...more
Ryan
Taylor Cline
A very interesting look at intelligence. What makes people successful. The book was very interesting at first and faltered toward the end but really made me think which is what I look for in a good book. I've started to analyze people I work with more in the last month on some of these criteria and find it interesting.

I have a new class coming this spring that I'm the TA for. I'm going to try to predict how successful each person will be in the class after meeting them by these guidelines and se
David Tobey
Continuing the debate over the relevance and predictive validity of intelligence tests, Sternberg may go too far in bashing IQ in favor of his proposed triarchic theory of intelligence: analytical, creative, and practical. At times the book appeared too defensive of Sternberg's theory, and evidence against IQ tests appear too convenient. However, the book provides an excellent overview of Sternberg's theory. I would recommend it to anyone interested in competency, skill, ability or, of course, i ...more
Dan
A look at what "intelligence" is. He claims intelligence has three parts (analytical, creative, practical), and as a culture we overemphasize a small fraction of the analytical to our detriment. In particular, he got low test scores and has turned out quite successful, and describes many similar cases.
Joy
This book, written in the 1990s, contains many ideas that have been expounded on in the years since. I'm now suspicious of IQ tests and realize the validity of the SAT/ACT tests lies in telling colleges/universities what you have learned academically so far.
Stephen
Interesting but incredibly repetitive. If I were to read it again, I'd probably skip the debunking of intelligence tests. By chapter 3 I was losing interest in the repetitive writing, but the last few chapters are extremely interesting. Worth a look.
Kurt
68. Successful Intelligence, by Ed. Research into Analytical, Creative, and Practical Intelligence. More interesting insights into how just being smart isn’t enough in today’s challenging, increasingly flat, technologically savvy world.
Ben Wenzel
Really interesting, and well researched. But the research wasn't the interesting part. Sternberg's own interpretation and analysis, combined with compelling and personal stories is the most interesting.
Lanette
I picked this one up after reading the "Outliers" (which I loved) and was sorely disappointed. It is not nearly as readable... lots of technical mumbo jumbo that didn't hold my interest.
Charles
I read this book over and over in hopes of learning something useful.
Michelle Gordon
Michelle Gordon marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Irča
Irča marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Jesper Benson
Jesper Benson marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Raghu Kalyan
Raghu Kalyan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Bradley
Bradley marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Ozgur Baltat
Ozgur Baltat marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Mardika
Mardika is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Mind's New Science: A History Of The Cognitive Revolution
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
  • Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World's Most Creative People
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)
  • The Power of Flow: Practical Ways to Transform Your Life with Meaningful Coincidence
  • Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds
  • Searching for Memory: The Brain, the Mind, and the Past
  • The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium
  • Living With Intensity
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation
  • Blind Spots: Why We Fail to Do What's Right and What to Do about It
  • Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation
  • Child Development (with Milestones Card) (MyDevelopmentLab Series)
  • Education of Blacks in the South, 1860-1935
  • Universal Traveler
  • Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty
  • The Psychology of Wealth: Understanding Your Relationship with Money and Achieve Prosperity
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
Robert J. Sternberg's spectacular research career in psychology had a rather inauspicious beginning. In elementary school he performed poorly on IQ tests, and his teachers' actions conveyed their low expectations for his future progress. Everything changed when his fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Alexa, saw that he had potential and challenged him to do better. With her encouragement, he became a high- ...more
More about Robert J. Sternberg...
Cognitive Psychology Love Is a Story: A New Theory of Relationships Why Smart People Can Be So Stupid The New Psychology of Love The Psychology of Love