Start by marking “Successful Intelligence: How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success in Life” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Argues that creative and practical intelligence, rather than the results of a standard IQ test, are the keys to succeeding in the business world and doing well at most jobs.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Successful Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Successful Intelligence

Rick
Jun 09, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I teach Intellectual Assessment Theory to graduate students. And, for years, I have liked what I have read about Sternberg's theory of Successful Intelligence. But I have never been able to put my hands on a chapter that nicely describes the construct and its components. So, I decided to go and read one of the original works he wrote describing Successful Intelligence. Lo and behold! Exactly what I wanted!

Successful Intelligence involves three components: Analytical Intelligence (school ability)
Melissa Baggett
More information on how school performance and life performance are two completely different things. Sternberg takes IQ and other standardized tests to task by pointing out that the kinds of intelligence tested are static, decontextualized versions of the real thing. A person with the intelligence to become successful may not score particularly high on tests but has the analytical intelligence (represented but poorly on IQ tests), creative intelligence and practical intelligence. A truly intelli ...more
Ryan
Taylor Cline
A very interesting look at intelligence. What makes people successful. The book was very interesting at first and faltered toward the end but really made me think which is what I look for in a good book. I've started to analyze people I work with more in the last month on some of these criteria and find it interesting.

I have a new class coming this spring that I'm the TA for. I'm going to try to predict how successful each person will be in the class after meeting them by these guidelines and se
David Tobey
Continuing the debate over the relevance and predictive validity of intelligence tests, Sternberg may go too far in bashing IQ in favor of his proposed triarchic theory of intelligence: analytical, creative, and practical. At times the book appeared too defensive of Sternberg's theory, and evidence against IQ tests appear too convenient. However, the book provides an excellent overview of Sternberg's theory. I would recommend it to anyone interested in competency, skill, ability or, of course, i ...more
Luis Eduardo
Feb 12, 2016 Luis Eduardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan
Nov 27, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look at what "intelligence" is. He claims intelligence has three parts (analytical, creative, practical), and as a culture we overemphasize a small fraction of the analytical to our detriment. In particular, he got low test scores and has turned out quite successful, and describes many similar cases.
Joy
Sep 08, 2013 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, written in the 1990s, contains many ideas that have been expounded on in the years since. I'm now suspicious of IQ tests and realize the validity of the SAT/ACT tests lies in telling colleges/universities what you have learned academically so far.
Stephen
Interesting but incredibly repetitive. If I were to read it again, I'd probably skip the debunking of intelligence tests. By chapter 3 I was losing interest in the repetitive writing, but the last few chapters are extremely interesting. Worth a look.
Kurt
Aug 21, 2013 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
68. Successful Intelligence, by Ed. Research into Analytical, Creative, and Practical Intelligence. More interesting insights into how just being smart isn’t enough in today’s challenging, increasingly flat, technologically savvy world.
Ben Wenzel
May 02, 2009 Ben Wenzel rated it really liked it
Really interesting, and well researched. But the research wasn't the interesting part. Sternberg's own interpretation and analysis, combined with compelling and personal stories is the most interesting.
Lanette
Jun 24, 2009 Lanette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up after reading the "Outliers" (which I loved) and was sorely disappointed. It is not nearly as readable... lots of technical mumbo jumbo that didn't hold my interest.
Charles
Jun 14, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I read this book over and over in hopes of learning something useful.
Mkrtumyan Vazgen
May 13, 2012 Mkrtumyan Vazgen rated it it was amazing
The best
Sujin Kim
Sujin Kim marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Xavier Kaur
Xavier Kaur marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Hayden Warmington
Hayden Warmington marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jeremy Frandsen
Jeremy Frandsen rated it it was ok
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Saber
Saber marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Nic Pestalozzi
Nic Pestalozzi rated it really liked it
Shahreen
Shahreen marked it as to-read
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mohamed Said
Mohamed Said marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Gyrgyi
Gyrgyi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Stormness
Stormness marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Jody Thomas
Jody Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
  • Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)
  • Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World's Most Creative People
  • The Power of Flow: Practical Ways to Transform Your Life with Meaningful Coincidence
  • Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds
  • Searching for Memory: The Brain, the Mind, and the Past
  • Developing Talent in Young People
  • Living With Intensity
  • The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium
  • Living High and Letting Die: Our Illusion of Innocence
  • The Psychology of Wealth: Understanding Your Relationship with Money and Achieve Prosperity
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation
  • Child Development (with Milestones Card) (MyDevelopmentLab Series)
  • Social Psychology
  • Education of Blacks in the South, 1860-1935
  • Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation
  • Blind Spots: Why We Fail to Do What's Right and What to Do about It
Robert J. Sternberg's spectacular research career in psychology had a rather inauspicious beginning. In elementary school he performed poorly on IQ tests, and his teachers' actions conveyed their low expectations for his future progress. Everything changed when his fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Alexa, saw that he had potential and challenged him to do better. With her encouragement, he became a high- ...more
More about Robert J. Sternberg...