Start by marking “"But God...": The Two Words at the Heart of the Gospel” as Want to Read:
"But God...": The Two Words at the Heart of the Gospel

"But God...": The Two Words at the Heart of the Gospel

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Whether from the pen of Moses, Paul, or other biblical authors, "But God" appears in various forms hundreds of times in the Bible. To understand these two words as they are used in Scripture is to understand the gospel. This book focuses on nine of the most important appearances of this key phrase, drawing in numerous other passages of Scripture and in the process unfoldin ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Cruciform Press (first published April 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about "But God...", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "But God..."

Mathew
Jul 13, 2012 Mathew rated it really liked it
I bought this book because Ephesians 2 is one of my favorite passages and my Christian life has thrived because of that single “But God...” Lute sums my feelings on that passage, “To the left of ‘But God’ is hopelessness, darkness, and death. But to its right, following ‘But God,’ readers of Scripture will find hope, light, and life” (pp. 5-6). Kindle Edition.

Before reading this book, I had no idea what the structure would be. I assumed because of how much I loved Ephesians 2 that the entire boo
Rob Sumrall
Feb 20, 2015 Rob Sumrall rated it really liked it
In But God, Casey Lute provides another fine addition to the Cruciform Press library.

This short book examines two words that make all the difference in the world when it comes to man's spiritual plight. Lute writes, "To the left of 'But God' in Scripture appear some of the worst human atrocities, characterized by disobedience and rebellion. To the left of 'But God' is hopelessness, darkness, and death. But to the right, following 'But God,' readers of Scripture will find hope, light, and life. F
Feb 26, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
But God . . . is one of my favorite books now. As seen from the description, Lute traces this phrase throughout scripture. Reading through each of the examples that Lute has chosen highlights my own inability to save myself or even do anything good apart from God as well as God’s own grace and mercy toward me. It propels me to take a closer look at all of my circumstances, find the “but God” moments in my own life, and then worship God again for His amazing grace.
Lee Gunter
Jul 09, 2012 Lee Gunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
"But God" is a very enjoyable book. It manages to tread the difficultly thin path that borders readable and educational. Lute makes a lot of obvious points, as any book of this nature should. But he also goes a little further a few places.

This is a pretty quick read. I think anyone who suspects the subject matter will be interesting will be quite satisfied with their read.
Andrew
Feb 21, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good little book of short expositions on the phrase (explicit or implicit) "But God . . ." in Scripture. I would recommend this as nourishment for your soul, helpful reading for someone interested in Christianity, or even as a guide for a small group study.
Byron
Sep 12, 2011 Byron rated it really liked it
Great book.
Jeanie
May 20, 2011 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cruciform-read
But God starts with Noah and ends Paul encouraging Timothy in the faith. This book was written very well with clear explanation of the But God in each of man's circumstance. With Moses crossing the Red Sea, but God gave them deliverance from Pharaoh like only He could. As Lute said on page 23..That day, Israel became an independent nation, not owing to any effort of the people, but only to God's deliverance. And as we know, that it is still happening. As I write this, I am sure Israel will be te ...more
Mimi Johnson
Jun 23, 2016 Mimi Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encouraging book, loved it!

I appreciate the author's ability to further my understanding of God's glory and goodness towards His creation. This book lifts God's attributes up for the reader to see, love and worship God more deeply.
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
Scattered throughout the pages of the Bible are two small words that pop up in seemingly random places: “But God.” Lute carefully points out that these two words actually convey the very center of the Bible’s message—that God acts on behalf of those who would not and could not help themselves. Tracing this theme through both testaments, Lute skillfully crafts a helpful lens for viewing an overarching theme of Scripture. A very readable, enjoyable book.
Christopher
Sep 13, 2015 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for a small group study

The chapters are short and easy to digest, though Lute provides powerful examples from Scripture of God's mercy, grace, love, and provision. I've heard R. C. Sproul say that "but God" is his favorite phrase in the Bible. Lute does a good job in showing the importance of this phrase.
Michael Wehrle
Jul 16, 2011 Michael Wehrle rated it liked it
This book provided some good examples of how the whole of the Word of God, OT and NT, is pointing to the story of God's redemption of His people, and ultimately, all points to Jesus. There are some good chapters in here that would make great Sunday School lessons.
Aaron
May 22, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing
"But God..." is a refreshingly concise, yet comprehensive biblical theology of grace that left this reader more in awe of the grace of God.

My full review can be read here:

Marguerite Harrell
Sep 10, 2013 Marguerite Harrell rated it it was amazing
September 6th, 2013 I started read this in e-book form and so far I am enjoying this book. Thankful and looking forward to finish this! Great book to read and great reminder of who we were But God...
Jared Totten
Apr 11, 2012 Jared Totten rated it liked it
Solid with reformed theology. However, the central premise of a book surrounding passages that have "but God" in them seemed a bit arbitrary and forced at times. Enjoyable all the same.
Jimmy
Jun 27, 2011 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
I loved how Casey Lute traced the "But God" path through the biblical story. Provides a simple, clear, encouraging, and gospel-centered journey through the Bible.
Victor Chininin
Apr 10, 2013 Victor Chininin rated it really liked it
A very good short book that traces redemptive history through the "But God" statements of Scripture. A very helpful reminder of different aspects of the gospel.
Becky Pliego
Apr 01, 2012 Becky Pliego rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Excellent.

My review here:

Amber Stutzman
Mar 04, 2013 Amber Stutzman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
My brother in law wrote this and it is a great book!
Matthew  Anders
Matthew Anders marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Andrew Dodson
Andrew Dodson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Gennifer
Gennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Robert C Faircloth
Robert C Faircloth marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Angus
Angus marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Andy Mckinney
Andy Mckinney marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Jen Larson
Jen Larson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
E.N.
E.N. rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Jeff Brown
Jeff Brown rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Joy Fayard
Joy Fayard marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Luiz Castaldi
Luiz Castaldi rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

“God does not impose requirements difficult for an average person to meet: rather, they are impossible.” 0 likes
“Some say “God helps those who help themselves,” but the Bible says the exact opposite: God helps the helpless. God helps those who, left to themselves, would die in their sins. He even helps those who hate him and who, by nature, continually oppose him. He does this because he is not like us. By nature, he is “merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness” (Exodus 34:6).” 0 likes