Start by marking “Winter's Bite” as Want to Read:
Winter's Bite

Winter's Bite

Many years ago, Ysabon made her living by the sword as a skilled mercenary. Now she lives in Westedge with her brother's children, tending to the animals and afraid of dying old and useless. When a horrible winter storm drives monsters down from the mountains, Ysabon can save her family and her village if only she can find the strength and take up the sword for a final ...more
Published April 30th 2011 by Doomed Muse Press

To ask other readers questions about Winter's Bite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter's Bite

*Lily's*
I thought it was cool and different reading about an ex warrior. Usually it's about a teen learning how to fight or about a young assassin, so this was different. We learn a little bit about the MC Ysabons past but not the whole thing, which I would've liked to have know. I guess the only thing I had a hard time with was with the names. I suck at pronouncing names and these were some names I never heard of before. I don't know how I feel about the ending, I wanted to know what happens, is there ...more
Jenika Ioffreda
Oct 20, 2016 Jenika Ioffreda rated it liked it
Diana Green
Oct 08, 2016 Diana Green rated it really liked it
This was a well-written if quite simple short story. The setting and characters were brought clearly into my mind, and I cared about the outcome. I will try more by this author.
A.M.
Mar 16, 2015 A.M. rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Ysabon is an ex-fighter. She’s retired and gone home to live with her adult daughters and when a band of men appear out of the snow and ask for her help she says ‘no’; she’s too old to fight. The men warn of a pack of creatures; widowhulks that will target the town. They want to go to the nearest fort and ask for help. It’s a good plan. But when only her nephew makes it back alive, the plan has to change.
***
This is a short story that was free on Kindle as an intro to the author. It is only a thi
Abby Farmer
An aged warrior living at a forge with her family learns that villagers are in danger because of roving bands that come down from the mountains. She goes to work repairing her sword to come to the aid of villagers.

The frozen world is so well described - the snow falling from branches, the sound of skis - and the main character is so compelling. She's different than other fantasy heroines - an older female, retired soldier, has her own family - but is made of stern stuff.

I would love to read a f
pdarnold
May 28, 2013 pdarnold rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
This is a short story, but oh, how I wish the author would have created a regular novel! I want more!!! So much depth is in-steeled from the characters to the details of the story. Ysabon learns a large pack of Widowhulk have come down from the mountains, traveling further than is the norm and have attacked and killed many kinsmen. The garrison across the river must be warned. For a short story, it's epic in the size of the tale.

Eery still winter that causes tears to freeze as they fall, horrify
Octavio Perez
Sep 05, 2015 Octavio Perez rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet.

A great high fantasy short that feels like a prologue to a much larger novel.
The story was left with an indescribable ending that wrapped up the epic short telling.
Gunnar
Feb 03, 2014 Gunnar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-lendable, 2014
An elegant fantasy short story, crafted through strong characterization and character interactions rather than spells or swords. A simple plotline builds to an inevitable conclusion, as an old warrior shakes off retirement and age for one last, necessary battle. Five strong stars.
Ria Potter
Feb 12, 2016 Ria Potter rated it it was amazing
A Story of Wales That Never Was

The short story of A Winter's Bite was exactly what I love in fantasy fiction. The characters were real, and the monsters were intense. I look forward to more by the author, and highly recommend it!
Lyngay
Mar 03, 2016 Lyngay rated it it was amazing
A short story to make want to read the series.

Unexpected. Well written and a possible ending to a main character? From a set of stories featuring a main character. Adventure and other realm evils. Great fantasy.
Kevis Hendrickson
Jun 02, 2012 Kevis Hendrickson rated it really liked it
This is the first story I've read from Annie Bellet and it turned out to be an excellent book. I love authors who take pride in their work and not only tell great stories, but write them with the spit and polish that a good book deserves. Will be reading more of this author's work very soon.
Patrick A Terpening
Aug 05, 2016 Patrick A Terpening rated it really liked it
A Great Shortstory

I was reading the 20 sided sorceress series and wanted to sample Annie's other work. This is a great story of an aging fighter and her last stand for hearth and home. Great read.
NVTony
Jun 22, 2012 NVTony rated it really liked it
A different kind of adventure. Some will like others not. Found it an interesting read. Like authors style and would definitely read more writings.
Lea Rood
Lea Rood rated it liked it
May 12, 2013
Modrukinstealer
Modrukinstealer rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Mary Hopkins
Mary Hopkins rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Tammy
Nov 04, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-fantasy
Very good, very sad, fantasy story about a retired mercenary who picks her sword back up.
Ben Ebenezer
Ben Ebenezer rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2015
Cassandra Izatt
Cassandra Izatt rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Kendal
Kendal rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Jake Garces
Jake Garces rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Aindrea
Aindrea rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Mary Rykert-Wolf
Mary Rykert-Wolf rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Katie Thompson
Katie Thompson rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Sonia Braz
Sonia Braz rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Lyuba
Lyuba rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ravenshade (Tales of Alterra, the World that Is #3)
  • The Mountain of Marvels: A Celtic Tale of Magic, Retold from the Mabinogion
  • Dust
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)
  • Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta
  • Bear Heart (Klawdia, #1)
  • The Legend of Witch Bane
  • Mighty Hammer Down
  • The Hourglass of Souls (Max and the Gatekeeper Book II)
  • The Lost Secret of Fairies (The Crystal Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hour of the Time
  • 318: Fractured Era Prequel Story (Fractured Era Series)
  • Dragons and Dreams: Bedtime Stories
  • Under the Black  Ensign: A Pirate Adventure of Loot, Love and War on the Open Seas
  • The Storm Dragon's Heart (Storm Phase #1)
  • Fever: Many are Born, Few are Reborn (Wolf Sirens, #2)
  • Death's Angels (Terrach Chronicles, #1)
Annie Bellet is a full-time speculative fiction writer. She holds a BA in English and a BA in Medieval Studies and thus can speak a smattering of useful languages such as Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Welsh.

Her books include Avarice (Pyrrh Considerable Crimes Division: Book 1), The Gryphonpike Chronicles series, and the Twenty-Sided Sorceress series.

Her interests besides writing include rock climbing,
More about Annie Bellet...