The American Zone (North American Confederacy #7)

The American Zone (North American Confederacy #7)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the North American Confederacy . . .

People are free--really free. Free to do as they please, whether it be starting a business, running for elected office, or taking target practice in the back forty. There's not a whole lot of government, nor is there a lot of crime, because everyone who wants to carries a gun, and isn't afraid to use it.

But someone has bombed the End...more
Published October 4th 2002 by Tor Books (first published November 14th 2001)

Greg
Award winning libertarian science fiction. Parallel histories, one of which evolved from different post-1776 events into utopian libertarian society. Now immigrants from various alternate Earths are causing problems for the North American Confederacy, and Win Bear & company are on the case. This sequel to "The Probability Broach" is also a thought-provoking & entertaining look at possibilities.
Andy
Sep 18, 2008 Andy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: liberals/moderates interested in libertarian ideas, alternative history fans
Shelves: sf, politics
GREAT ideas, well presented. A little obnoxiously preachy. Also, the last book (Promethius Broach) spent most of it's time skewering liberal authoritarians, socialists. This gives lots of ammunition, as the world is full of genuinely evil examples of this (Stalin, Pol Pot, Lenin, Hitler, Castro), and there are lots of real examples of policies to skewer.

This time it comes across like he's trying to be "fair" and go after the conservative authoritarians - which he chooses Bill Bennett and William...more
Clay
I was about ready to give up on L. Neil Smith after reading Forge of the Elders. In that book, Mr. Smith lost seemed to have lost sight of the story, choosing, instead to make the entire book an over long treatise on the virtues of Libertarianism. While I am, in the most part, in total agreement with the form of society Mr. Smith advocates, honesty compelled me to say that Forge of the Elders was NOT his best work and I feared that Mr. Smith had let his political leanings run rampant over his st...more
William Hartwell
Sep 26, 2013 William Hartwell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to William by: L. Neil Smith
In another romp through the North American Confederacy (coincidentally written BEFORE the destruction of the WTC), Win Bear shows us how terrorism would be handled in a society that's truly based on individual liberty, rather than on the mythology of liberty we have in the real world. Warts and all, I would much rather live in the NAC than in any nation-state that exists in the real world.
Steve
Loved it. Is it possible for a sequel to be better than the original? There were so many great quotes in here, I really wish I had read it with a notepad at my side. I love how one of the ancillary characters was named Suprynowicz. I watched carefully to see if the first name was Vin, but the author played that one very cagily.
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
TBR
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Shawn Camp
Shawn Camp marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Robert
Robert added it
May 10, 2014
Karl Oskar Pettersson
Karl Oskar Pettersson marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Seth Kinkaid
Seth Kinkaid marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Mar 04, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Doke
Doke marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Russmyers
Russmyers marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Adam Harrison
Adam Harrison marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Joseph
Joseph added it
Jul 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
L. Neil Smith is a Libertarian science fiction author and gun rights activist.Smith was born in Denver, Colorado. His father was an Air Force officer, and his childhood was spent in various places including Waco, McQueenie, and La Porte, Texas; Salina, Kansas; Sacramento, California; and Gifford, Illinois (all before he completed 5th grade) and then St. John’s, Newfoundland and Ft. Walton Beach, F...more
More about L. Neil Smith...
The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3) Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu (Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures, #1) Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka (Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures, #3) Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon (Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures, #2) The Probability Broach (North American Confederacy #1)