Start by marking “Big Red Tequila (Tres Navarre, #1)” as Want to Read:
Big Red Tequila (Tres Navarre, #1)

Big Red Tequila (Tres Navarre #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  2,125 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
Everything in Texas is bigger...even murder.Meet Tres Navarre...tequila drinker, Tai Chi master, unlicensed P.I., with apenchant for Texas-size trouble.

Jackson "Tres" Navarre and his enchilada-eating cat, Robert Johnson, pull intoSan Antonio and find nothing waiting but trouble. Ten years ago Navarre lefttown and the memory of his father's murder behind him. Now he's back,
Published June 2nd 1997 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Red Tequila, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Red Tequila

Robert
Aug 12, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about this book is that Riordan authentically knows San Antonio. Anyone who has lived there any time at all can follow in the mind's eye the travels around town, can taste the food at the restaurants, can rejoice that the speed trap is no longer in that spot, can appreciate the precise flavor of the local politics. It was like the first two or three episodes of the old Hawaii 5-O, before they began to obscure locations and make everything generic.

What I also liked about this book is
Angie Bollard
Jan 19, 2010 Angie Bollard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because my husband loved it and because I loved the author's other series, Percy Jackson. I hated this book. First of all, way too much swearing. The F word was used as much as the word "the". I tried to like Tres, but I can't. He's a womanizer and he's trying to solve his father's murder, who was surprise!! a womanizer. However, he makes Tres look like a boy scout by comparison. I did not finish the book because I was so disgusted,but my husband told me how it ended. Not satisf ...more
Rose
Feb 10, 2012 Rose rated it it was ok
Rick Riordan is the author of my beloved "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series. Little-known fact: he'd already been a published writer of a critically-acclaimed mystery series for at least a decade previous to that.

Given my love of Riordan's YA fantasy and my love of mystery series, I've been wanting to try his Tres Navarre series in earnest for some time. I'd started this book several times in the past but always ended up getting drawn away by other things within the first chapter or two. T
Gosia
Jan 07, 2017 Gosia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riordan ma świetny styl pisania - przyjazny, łatwy, połączenie akcji z humorem, co rzadko się zdarza. Widać, że potrafi pisać nie tylko dobre młodzieżówki. Bohater, którego wszyscy chcą zabić, a ty go polubisz (i jego kota) Sięgne po kolejne książki.
Lena
Mar 22, 2010 Lena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed. He wrote the Percy Jackson books, so I was hoping he would be good with this. It was just blah. And he used the F word just a little bit too much. I don't know if I will read another adult book by him or not.
Sharis
Sep 07, 2007 Sharis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a mystery/detective series that takes place in San Antonio, my hometown. It was cool to read because I knew of all the locations, buildings, etc. that they were talking about. The characters in this book are classic. I really enjoyed the series.
Mailis Viiand
I cannot imagine the pleasure of having a bestselling genius like Rick Riordan as your literature teacher, but i think the rate of cutting classes must be real low and the energy in the class high...
Tres Navarre, seems the poor guy doesn't get any slack in this series at all, in a way the writing reminds me of Jim Butcher at his best, the punches keep coming and the hero keeps getting up for the next one, on pure willpower only...I think its the first book i have read, where the main hero loses
Athena
Jul 06, 2009 Athena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
The language is too much, it was really interesting, but I didn't finish it.
Mackenzie
Rick Riordan sure can write. I don't know what I was thinking a few years ago when I dismissed Percy Jackson as being an unworthy read. I find myself choking down with karma because he's definitely become one of my favorite mainstream authors.

But just because I admire his writing it doesn't mean I have to like his stories or like his characters. As it was with Percy Jackson when he first appeared in the first book of that particular series, I didn't like Jackson 'Tres' Navarre - the protagonist
Сибин Майналовски
Ако не беше твърде характерният хумор на Рики, който на няколко пъти ме кара да се хиля с глас сам вкъщи, не знам дали щях да ѝ дам повече от 2,5 звезди. Нуарът в стил Чандлър е налице, но някак си ми липсваше сюжетната тръпка в приключенията на hard-boiled dick, тоест, главния герой. И все пак... заради майтапите и заради Робърт Джонсън - 4/5 :)
Becky
Jun 24, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little disappointing. It's too long and frankly has too many characters to keep up with. Not a bad read, but I think I had higher expectations.
Luciana Darce
De pronto, ao terminar a leitura da série Percy Jackson, encomendei Big Red Tequila, pois estava ansiosa para ver como Riordan se saía com uma história original voltada para um público adulto.

No dia em que fui à livraria para buscá-lo, dei de cara com a tradução na vitrine (encomendei o meu em inglês). Tinha chegado exatamente naquele dia. Não pude, claro, deixar de pensar que isso era um sinal, de forma que ele saltou do final da lista para o “prioridades a ler”.

Tequila Vermelha conta a histór
Book Concierge
Jackson Navarre III (a/k/a “Tres” Nevarre) has returned to San Antonio after 10 years in California. He had left in the wake of his father’s murder, and now he wants answers, but mostly gets trouble.

Riordan’s book is populated with colorful characters. In addition to Tres, there’s Lillian Cambridge, a talented photographer and Tres’s high-school love. Ralph Arguello made his fortune with a series of pawn shops and is completely loyal to Tres. Beau Karnau is a fading artist who has been Lillian’
Harold Shaver
Jun 28, 2013 Harold Shaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystey-crime
Wow, I just discovered this fabulous crime series by Rick Riordan, that right the YA author who brought us Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, Heroes of Olympus series and the Kane Chronicles series. Turns out that back in the '90s Mr. Riordan was writing gumshoe fiction of the first order. This is the Tres Navarre series and it's about the son of a Texas sheriff who was gun downed in his front yard right in front of the then 20 something young man. Unable to deal with the death of his fathe ...more
reea
Sep 10, 2013 reea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rick-riordan
Tres Navarre hazatér a szülővárosába, amit évek óta nem látott. Az apja halála után ment el, hátrahagyva egy barátnőt és az édesanyját. Lediplomázott, magánnyomozóként tengeti életét, mestere a Tai Chi-nek, és macskájával, Robert Johnsonnal együtt nem talál mást San Antonióban, mint bajt csőstül. A volt barátnő, aki talán a jövőbeli lehetne, eltűnik, hátrahagyva egy sereg megválaszolatlan kérdést, és ezzel kiássa Tres apjának halálát is.

Teljesen más a hangulata, nyelvezete, mint Rick Riordan if
Jim
May 25, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Riordan is one of my son's favorite authors, immersed as he was in the Percy Jackson stories. I was therefore surprised when I saw that he was a mystery/detective writer as well, and I had the opportunity to try the first of his series. I must say that I found his story well constructed and interesting, easy to read, and with a character tough, stubborn, and funny (and who loved his cat). The protagonist, Tres Navarre, is not as violent as Reacher or Robicheaux, more along the lines of Longmire. ...more
MB
May 20, 2012 MB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, the "YA" author writes a pretty mean mystery. But I can see where it might be harder to stand out in this field than in the YA field. I'll read more in this series, because I like the character, Tres Navarre, and I like the secondary characters because they feel real, not like cliched stereotypes of parents, businessmen, exgirlfriends and friends with shady ways of making a living.

A small aspect that I loved: when Tres was growing up in Texas, he didn't speak Spanish. He learned Spanish whe
Lee
Dec 30, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tres-navarre
Even though it took Rick Riordan to write his very successful YA series about Percy Jackson's "Olympian" adventures, to put himself on the map. A few years back I had found one of his from his first series. So, I scoured used book stores/garage sales etc, looking for the other six. Last night thought I would give the first one a try.
Tres, and some former high school friends/teammates and his first love interest, add to the story. Even Robert Johnson **his cat** is a character. Some good humorous
Martin Smrz
Rick Riordan books are a hit in our family. At least the one for the kids, but it is extremely hard to rate this book. It started really well. I was thinking that it could be another Raymond Chandler with a witty, sharp humour, but after a while there was not a point in the humour. It kept repeating itself on and on and on.
The plot is also a very weak. You could a make a short story for Sunday newspaper with the plot, but a so much of "description filling", which does not add anything to the st
Teresa
Rick Riordan is a FANTASTIC writer, so writing-wise this book was awesome, but story-wise it was pretty terrible; everything was so generic that I didn't care much for the characters and just saw this as a waste of my valuable reading time. This book deserves one star, but I'm only giving it two because of how much I love Rick's writing style. If you want to read something that lets Rick's writing talent truly shine, I suggest you read the Percy Jackson series of books.
Msjodi777
Feb 19, 2016 Msjodi777 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think, as others have said, that it is a shame that Rick Riordan gave up writing adult fiction and only focuses on YA stories. Yes, this was a mystery/thriller story, but there were laugh out loud comments all over the book. Story was well written, tho there were a couple of things I didn't understand, characters were interesting, and believable and the narration was excellent. <><
Aadivah (Forever Late To Everything)
I honestly did not like anything in this book- not even the plot or the characters. It's safe to say this is the only Rick Riordan series that I plan to totally abandon. This just didn't do it for me.
Jessica Robbins
Jan 03, 2017 Jessica Robbins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For complete review check out my blog at http://booksaplentybookreviews.blogsp...
Sandy Khomenko
Jan 04, 2017 Sandy Khomenko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not as good as other books by Rick Riordan that I have read, but it was deffinitely interesting and a great experience. And I love detective stories.
Iuri
Jun 17, 2015 Iuri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faz uns dois anos que eu li esse e foi tão marcante que eu nem lembrava de ter lido =D
Robert Johnson é o melhor personagem, e esse é o melhor nome possível pra um gato.
Jason
May 20, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit it: my own literary snobbery kept this book out of my hands for far longer than was justified. I'm on record as a fella who is just not a fan of Mystery novels. I file Crime novels--those by the likes of James Ellroy, Jim Thompson, etc--into their own genre, because, let's face it, James Patterson will never write a book as gritty or visceral as American Tabloid or The Killer Inside Me, both of which novels would compete quite nicely against the carnality of much of Cormac McCarthy's ...more
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Пълно ревю - Click, click

Историята:
Трес Навар, частен детектив. Няма лиценз, но има котка, а когато имаш котка, за какво ти е лиценз. Има лудо мамче, луд брат, гадже от гимназията, стари приятели, стари неприятели, и неприятни съседи, и неразкрито убийство - на баща му, ако трябва да бъдем конкретни. И сега Трес се връща, с трясък (ха-ха-ха....) и фанфари, за да разследва и оправи всичко!

Послепрочитно:

По принцип, обичам да се смея, когато чета. Обичам да има хумор в книгите, и в това
Brenda
Nov 13, 2016 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-book
I am familiar with Riordan's young adult series, but was unaware he had this adult series too. Murder/mystery/thriller set in San Antonio where Riordan resides in real life. This genre is really more up my alley than his YA fantasies. Enjoyed this one and have started on book 2. Looking forward to learning more about what makes Tres Navarre tick.
Michele Arduengo
Dec 07, 2016 Michele Arduengo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally not a genre I would try, but I was curious because my daughter and I liked his Percy Jackson books so much. I really enjoyed the read, and will probably read a few more of these books.
Christy Esmahan
Mar 08, 2017 Christy Esmahan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read of of the Percy Jackson books, but it was another friend who told me that Mr. Riordan had also written books for adults. I'm so glad he did! I found this book quite entertaining and I loved that it was set in San Antonio (I live in Austin, so it was cool that it was so close by and there was even one scene in Austin) and I really enjoyed the way this author described the characters and the setting. What an artist, painting so well with words! I look forward to reading the next one.
what is this book about? 2 18 Feb 18, 2014 09:46PM
  • The Betrayals of Grim's Peak
  • I Think I'll Just Curl Up and Die (Leehampton, #2)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Biggie and the Poisoned Politician (Biggie Weatherford, #1)
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • A Discount for Death (Posadas County Mystery, #2)
  • Lone Star Noir
  • Holmes on the Range
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (Robin Hudson, #1)
  • Moonlight on Diamonds
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Dick Francis's Gamble
  • Sister Eve, Private Eye (A Divine Private Detective Agency Mystery #1)
  • The Black Book of Buried Secrets
  • Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)

More about Rick Riordan...

Tres Navarre (7 books)
  • The Widower's Two-Step (Tres Navarre, #2)
  • The Last King of Texas (Tres Navarre, #3)
  • The Devil Went Down to Austin (Tres Navarre, #4)
  • Southtown (Tres Navarre, #5)
  • Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)
  • Rebel Island (Tres Navarre, #7)

“A tai chi principle: If you don’t want someone to run away from you, run away from them first. Become yin to make them become yang. I’m not sure why it works, but almost always they’ll follow you like air filling a vacuum.” 2 likes
“A dry white branch of lightning cracked off from the sky and hit the horizon, then evaporated. I did what any sensible person would do. I put on my sunglasses.” 0 likes