Start by marking “Furry Fantastic” as Want to Read:

Furry Fantastic

This original anthology gathers together eighteen fantastical stories about cats, dogs, mice, and other furry creatures from realms beyond our world. Includes stories by Michael A. Stackpole, Keith DeCandido, James M. Ward, Jody Lynn Nye, Nancy Holder, Loren L. Coleman, David Bischoff, and others.
Published October 3rd 2006 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Furry Fantastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Furry Fantastic

Joshua Palmatier
Furry Fantastic

First and foremost, I felt there was a distinct lack of guinea pig protagonists in this anthology. *grin*

In any case, this was a good anthology, one definitely worth checking out. It’s divided into two parts: a section for dogs and cats, and then another section for stories involving other furry creatures. The stories range from fun and frivolous, to dark and serious. My two highlighted favorites are also two of the darker stories in the anthology, which says more about me than it
Kristin
Oct 18, 2016 Kristin rated it liked it
In selecting this book at the store, I clearly glossed over the fact that these were short stories in the sci-fi/fantasy genre rather than generic tales about dogs, cats, and other furry creatures. Not a genre I would normally read, preferring to stay grounded in some state of reality, but all told, these stories weren't too far-fetched. In many cases, I was left wanting more, as the stories were just long enough to get enmeshed with the characters and plotlines only to have them end abruptly. N ...more
Kelly Harmon
Oct 11, 2011 Kelly Harmon rated it liked it
I'd purchased this book at a con nearly a year ago, and it finally bubbled up to the top of my TBR pile. It's an anthology of stories where the main character in each is an animal of some sort.

I'm partial to dogs, so the stories about dogs naturally fall into my favorite camp. CJ Henderson's, "All the Virtues of Man" is particularly endearing.

Elizabeth A. Vaughan's "Wan Sui Ye" - a tale of a ninja mouse, however, is the best in the book, imho. It's worth picking up just to read this story.

I feel
Jen
May 18, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers
I just can't take cheesy old Harlequin novels before bed anymore. I'm moving on to short stories. So far, this is a cute compilation.

It changed from a before bed book to a during lunch at work book. It is a keeper I think. Overall it's four stars, but there were enough five star stories that I think I may want to re-read it later.
E.
May 04, 2009 E. rated it liked it
An interesting collection of short stories about furry creatures who have their own perspective on the challenges that face every sentient being. The common thread is the insignificance of Man's viewpoint and actions in the scheme of life.
Lori
May 22, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing
Great stories! My favorite was about the mouse who could do tai chi.
Jennifer Stottman
Sep 29, 2015 Jennifer Stottman rated it it was ok
I gave it two stars because there were a few good stories. Most of the stories we're not very good, definitely not comparative to the Catfantastic series the authors attempted to emulate.
Rachyl
Apr 16, 2010 Rachyl rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Good light reading.
Donald J. Bingle
I wrote my story for this anthology on a very short deadline, but I really like how it turned out.
Lemur-Cat
Lemur-Cat rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Dominique
Dominique rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Pene Clarke
Pene Clarke rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2014
Sheena
Sheena rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2008
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Valerie Brown
Valerie Brown rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Katzenjammer
Katzenjammer rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2010
Bronwen
Bronwen rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2010
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Diana Rising
Diana Rising rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2011
Maurynne  Maxwell
Maurynne Maxwell rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Joi Carey
Joi Carey rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Ruby Hollyberry
Ruby Hollyberry rated it liked it
May 04, 2010
Lace
Lace rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Anodracs
Anodracs rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2008
When I am not writing, I toss tennis balls to my cadre of dogs. My house is filled with books and dogs, you can smell both when you walk in the front door. It's a good smell.

I have 36 published novels and am currently writing in the mystery genre. My latest mystery, The Dead of Winter, was a finalist for the Claymore Award and is the first in the Piper Blackwell series.

I live in a tiny town in the
More about Jean Rabe...