Start by marking “Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything” as Want to Read:
Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything

Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  26 reviews
When Tom Brady entered the 2005 NFL season as lead quarterback for the New England Patriots, the defending Super Bowl champions, he was hailed as the best to ever play the position. And with good reason: he was the youngest quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl; the only quarterback in NFL history to win three Super Bowls before turning twenty-eight; the fourth player in hi ...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Moving the Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving the Chains

Tommy Calautti
Christopher
Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything a story about Tom Brady’s life. The book covers everything from when he was a young, unathletic kid from San Mateo California, to current day when he has won three super bowls and two league MVP awards. The author covers all of the ups and downs of Tom Brady’s life. Tom Brady himself chimes in at times in the book to express his opinion on some of his greatest accomplishments or failures.
This is a really greatly written book. The author
Jhett Vaughn
I picked this book because they are in the super bowl and I love football and this book seemed like one of the better nonfiction football books. The tile of the book moving the chains by Tom Brady really matches the book like how every super bowl he one is cause of him moving the chains to keep getting first downs and to win the big game. I think the author wrote this book to show how good he was moving the chains to get a first down and to be the youngest quarterback ever to win 3 super bowls, ...more
C Baker
This is undoubtedly one of the oddest biographies I have ever read. And one of the most intriguing.

Author Charles Pierce tries to uncover what makes Tom Brady tic. What makes him such a consummate team player and leader on the field? What made a player drafted in the sixth round, whom nobody but maybe Bill Belichick and Scott Piloli, thought would ever amount to much in the pros, become a Hall of Fame bound quarterback, one of the best to have ever played?

There are a lot of things.

First, Brady w
Russ
I was a little disappointed with this because the pacing and writing style of Charles Pearce was bad. The only thing that kept me going back to this book--and the only reason it got that third star--was because there was lots of background on Tom. I wouldn't recommend reading this unless you really want to learn more about Brady and/or you've got nothing else on your plate to read.
Jt
Jan 30, 2008 Jt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jt by: David Hsu (gift)
Shelves: sports
Good look at TB's career to date and major influences which have shaped his skill and competitiveness. Well written despite being a bit too cute at times. Backdrop of 2005/6 season is, obviously, less interesting than say the 2007/8 season. What's a sports biographer to do?
Brian Calandra
Charlie Pierce is a masshole, but he's a got a great quippy writing style. I picked up the book to learn more about the greatest quarterback of all time, but came out with a list of bon mots and the idea that Brady "loves his teammates."
Bob
Seems more like an expanded magazine profile than a book, but some interesting stuff. If you hate the Patriots, it'll make you nauseous, however.
Jon
Good book. Author jumps around a bit too much for my liking though.
Dawn
Well, here's the thing. I've always appreciated what Brady has done for my team, but I've never been a huge fan of *him*. So, I thought I would learn a little about him and see if that would change my mind some. And it did. Taken with a grain of salt, he seems like a decent guy, for the most part. He certainly works hard, and I appreciate his attitude. That being said, this author did very little to engage a reader who is NOT a Patriots fan. In fact, if I were the fan of another team, I would ha ...more
Jamescullen
As a die-hard fan of football and of Boston sports, this biography Moving the Chains: Tom Brady and the Pursuit of Everything written by Charles P. Pierce, easily kept me entertained throughout the entire read. It begins when Tom Brady is just a young boy and is trying his best to emulate his idol, the former quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers, Joe Montana. Unfortunately, his struggles in life, such as his size in high school and college, become apparrent. I really enjoyed how Charles Pierc ...more
Justin
-"Unhappy is the land that breeds no hero."

-"No -- Unhappy is the land that needs a hero."

These lines, from the Bertolt Brecht play, "Galileo," form the epigraph to "Moving the Chains," journalist Charlie Pierce's ebullient biography of the New England Patriots' MVP quarterback, Tom Brady. "Brecht?" you ask. "In a biography of a professional football player?" You don't know Charlie Pierce.

Pierce is a fine writer and broad thinker who happens to hold a certain NFL field general in exceeding high-
Sara
Good, entertaining read, but not quite great. As a huge Pats fan, I was able to sink easily into Pierce's clear obsession with our QB, but I'm not sure all readers would be as enthralled, nor am I sure that all readers would understand the droves of football vernacular necessarily used in the text. More importantly, I found the focus a bit narrow, even though Pierce is fond of the tangent, which lent a pervasive feeling of "it's too soon for this book" that I couldn't shake. Adding to that feeli ...more
James Loftus
Feb 11, 2008 James Loftus rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sports fans
Pierce's wonderful and eclectic writing style cover over what is admittedly a shy and frankly very young subject for an autobiography. This book should be considered by both fans of Brady and those who aren't because it is really a series of essays by Pierce that riff off Brady as the central theme, from religion, to the history of New England football, to Michigan college football, to the plight of the veterans of the NFL, this book is a treat and I was disappointed when I got to the end that t ...more
Derek Bycraft
This book tries to make Brady seem like a demi-god. While he definitely is an elite quarterback, this book is a bit much. There are some flubs and things stretched to make him sound better. Being a huge Michigan Wolverines fan, I was able to find some disputable things regarding Brady's college days thrown into the book. While Brady and Pats fans will love it (which is what I am), Brady detractors will love it as well - love it because it is more of a trashy worship book than great read.
Alan
Disappointingly, Pierce is disguistingly reverential of Brady, taking a cart-before-the-horse approach to depicting Brady's greatness. Pierce's usual technique of calling upon disparate realms means the reader will have to work, but having done so, will find some interesting connections--many of which hold water.
Jen
Entertaining, though I'm a bit biased. Did teach me a few interesting things about the business of football. More importantly, it makes you realize that hard work, passion and dedication (football buzz words that they are) can help you to overcome being overlooked ... like Brady was time and time again.
Brianna Peterson
If I had read this when it was written, it would have been interesting. The only parts I found extremely "I want to read this RIGHT now" was when he talked about Brady's childhood. The next years are much more interesting and I think it was a little premature to write a book about him.
Michael
Nov 15, 2007 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supermodels, monotone coaches
A little bit of a hagiography in places, but Pierce is such a spectacularly intelligent writer that he turns it into much more than a dull sports bio. Shades of John McPhee. Too bad he didn't wait until this season to write it.
Gary
If you are a Pats fan this is a greet read. If not a Pats fan read it to find out whist it takes to make your team just as good.
Molly
Pretty fast - seemed too short. Probably because Brady is very guarded with his personal life. But was interesting to read about his family's impact in his life and to see how he became so driven.
Kelley
I like Charley Pierce on npr but this book was a bit premature in Brady's career. Plus it focuses way too much on how horrible of a time he had at Michigan :(
Sean
Well written without falling into sports cliche. Would recommend this as a good general read instead of as a sports bio.
Steve
This book was more about the Patriots uneventful 2005 season than a pursuit of anything. Pretty dull.
Ellen
The press reviews were terrific, but it's probably a better read for a football fan.
Sara Wrightstone
Good Book for any Patriots/Tom Brady fans.
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Patriot Reign: Bill Belichick, the Coaches, and the Players Who Built a Champion
  • Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery & My Return to the NFL
  • The Education of a Coach
  • The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • When the Game Stands Tall, Special Movie Edition: The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football's Longest Winning Streak
  • Knuckler: My Life with Baseball's Most Confounding Pitch
  • The Curse of the Bambino
  • Ayrton Senna: The Whole Story
  • The QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks
  • Molina: The Story of the Father Who Raised an Unlikely Baseball Dynasty
  • Must Win: A Season of Survival for a Town and Its Team
  • Are We There Yet?: Tales from the Never-Ending Travels of WWE Superstars
  • Hurricane: The Miraculous Journey of Rubin Carter
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
Charles P. ("Charlie") Pierce is a nationally known American sportswriter, author, and game show panelist.

Excerpted from Wikipedia.
More about Charles P. Pierce...
Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free Sports Guy Hard to Forget: An Alzheimer's Story The Time of Christ's Return Revealed - Revised Edition:Multiple Models Confirm The Time Given To Daniel Grantland Quarterly no. 7