Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Time Warrior is a revolutionary, non-linear approach for dealing with time, as bold as it is fresh and new. Forget whatever "guidebooks" you may have read on time management or personal productivity. Time Warrior is much more than tips and tricks. Steve Chandler has given us an invitation--as well as a challenge--to become something far greater than we are now. To become,...more
Published (first published February 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Time Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Warrior

David Hayden
I found this book wise, powerful, and extremely helpful. Is it original? I think once you read three or four truly good self-help books, 75% of every self-help after that will be unoriginal with most of the difference being the presentation and emphasis. What works best is what speaks to YOU best. This book covered everything exceptionally well and go to the point without droning on. I liked the Time Warrior metaphor, though that might be too martial for some. This is not a rah-rah self help. It...more
Sobelius
I've been using David Allen's "Getting Things Done" (GTD) methodology for over 5 years and it's been a great way to identify the things I need and want to get done. But I've had a gap between the identification and the doing of those things, and I often felt I used GTD as yet another way to avoid the doing of the things I'd identified to do.

This book was the right book at the right time for me. With over 80 chapters, each just a page or two in length, I was able to read the kindle version in sma...more
Arminda Lindsay
"Today I don't place a lot of value in regretting my past or even trying to understand it. Identifying past patterns and labeling my flaws and weaknesses. Not much value in that because the present moment opportunity disappears while I do that.

How do I want to be NOW? Do I want to finish what I start? I can do that. But I just have to do it. Which is me going on the offensive. Because the best defense is a great offense."

If you're looking for a book that will teach you how to manage your time...more
Skip Huntress
This is not a time management book. It's more about life management and personal growth. Each chapter was wonderfully short but holds a volume of information, insight and inspiration.
Emma Sea
Nov 16, 2013 Emma Sea marked it as maybe-read
" transmute the base metals of ordinary linear time-consciousness into the gold of the Time Warrior's non-linear vision. "

O_o
Silver Kuklase
I liked it. I found some great quotes, my favourite one is this one:
TODAY GIVE ALL THAT YOU HAVE, FOR WHAT YOU KEEP INSIDE, YOU LOSE FOREVER.

Some advice is common sense and I have already readed in other books, but really it is true. There is no magic pill. If you want motivation, just start doing it. For example, if you want to be writer, then write.
Slice away distractions what drain your energy and time.

If you want more money, serve on bigger scale with bigger impact. If you want more love, l...more
Paul
This book suffers from what most books in the genre suffer from. The author has an interesting idea and he or she centers the book around it, but there is just not enough of the idea to fill the book. So they just add filler. Time Warrior has this problem and it seems to me that the book could have been executed in 40 chapters instead of 100+ and the reading experience would have been much more enjoyable and the message much more clearer.

I take nothing away from the idea; it is a different appro...more
Peter
Very good read.

The chapters in this book are extremely short - one or two pages, usually. This makes it very easy to read, but some chapters could benefit from more elaboration.

The tone of "Time Warrior" is very conversational. Overall this is helpful, but frankly, many passages could have been written better. A few paragraphs even left me cringing. If the editing were cleaner, I would give it five stars.

I really enjoyed Chandler's message and enthusiasm. He emphasizes that our experience of lif...more
Matt
I was stunned by the ideas presented in this book, because many are extremely simple and seem obvious once you read them, yet they also run counter to much of our conventional wisdom.

One major focus of the book is that we need to re-think the way we handle time. The author emphasizes that we need to focus on one thing at a time and filter out all distractions. Otherwise, we spread our attention too thin, and the distractions make us feel productive and busy while we actually get nothing done.

Ano...more
Kristin Billerbeck
I loved this book. If you have an artist's mind, this book is excellent. It's a little New Agey, but it really approaches time in a new manner and helps you prioritize. I think if you had a math mind, this book might drive you nuts, but it was very helpful for me. Lots of great quotes and advice for well-rounded living.
Haley Smith
One of the most powerful books I have read to build confidence in myself and over come self-doubt with what I want to dedicate and focus my time on.
Skylar
Didn't like it. Felt like a waste of time to read and I feel that I didn't come away with anything worthwhile other than a half dozen quotes I wrote down for later.

Essentially a quote book, and the quotes weren't very motivational. His advice is basically "You procrastinate? Stop it. You have low self-esteem? Man up already." If anything, it was *demotivating.* Also, the organization was hard to follow sometimes. The chapters are short, between 1-3 pages usually. However, the chapter "titles" do...more
Jary Welker
Time Warrior, and its newer book end sibling, Wealth Warrior, is a classic work that can lead its reader to lose the excuses of victim hood, procrastination, and aimless thinking if they learn and apply one concept; the power and wisdom of action. Whether we feel like doing something, know how to do it, or even know what we want to do, action will cure what ails us. What cross fit is for the physical side Steve Chandler is for the mental and emotional. I highly recommend Steve Chandler's work bu...more
Billy
I liked the ideas that he shared that are more point of view type things than actual facts. He used alot of short stories to convey different ways to get tasks done.

His opening quote was particularly enlightening.

Bruce Lee said something like "successful people are ordinary folks with laser like focus" that was particularly intriguing.

A good all around read with short quick chapters.

I am a big fan of this author who also wrote a book with the same layout called 100 ways to motivate yourself.

I b...more
Suzanne
"Stop trying to replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts. All this thinking is overrated as a motivational force. Doing, on the other hand, is underrated."

That's the basic thrust: Live in the now. Just Do It. Live now, procrastinate later.

Although a bit repetitive, it's a quick read with some wise, inspirational nuggets. And, I must admit, I found myself repeatedly and abruptly putting the book down. Not out of boredom, but to get up and get stuff done.
Christine
This book grew on me a while after I read it. Immediately after reading I thought "This isn't at all what I was looking for." Later, though, I found myself incorporating little tidbits here and there and accomplishing much more in a day than before. Its not the A-B-C-1-2-3 book my husband is trying to find, but it worked for me in terms of finding a different way of thinking about daily tasks.
Peggi Speers
Sep 01, 2013 Peggi Speers rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: proactive creative can-do people!
Recommended to Peggi by: radio interview
I read and re-read this book! I usually read a chapter first thing in the morning--and choose one that I believe I need for the day! Steve's writing is simple and profound. I love this book and have referred it to so many people who ended up loving it! They too started to talk about how it has helped them in their lives! The publish, Maurice Bassett is wonderful too!
Sal Coraccio
Generally good tidbits. At some points I did feel as if I was in an infomercial for others of his friends' books.

And there may be a few too many helpful pointers of the, "If you are hungry, eat some food" variety - though even this is inspirational.

Otherwise, compelling and healthful reading.
Melissa
Lots of good advice, at least a few laugh-out-loud moments, and passion you can feel from the author. The book isn't particularly well-written - it's a little disjointed and some parts feel unfinished - but overall, the author gets his point across.
Sharon
While the nebulosity of this book--not to mention its unmitigated exuberance and its repetition and over-extension of the warrior metaphor--can be somewhat irritating, I did find some of the author's advice timely and practical.

Jacque
Short chapters, that can be read one per day with simple, memorable and profound concepts to use to improve your thinking, attitude, performance, relationships and enjoyment of life.
Nadeesha Cabral
Full of doses with short, practical advice that can kick you into motion. I like how he challenges many beliefs accepted widely in the self-help community today.
Nickey-Ann Leon
Loved this book - great nuggets of info to reshape your beliefs on procrastination and getting things done. Definitely a book I will refer back to in the future.
Tom Cummings
I read through the first 57 chapters and found the content useful and compelling. I felt that I was reading the same material again, so I put it away.
Artur Palvanov
Steve Chandler is a great writer. I love his work. This book is so so. The ideas and concepts are great. But it feels like it was not edited.
Panagiotis Malakoudis
I thought I bought a book about time management but this book was more than that. In the beginning I didn't get it but I am glad I kept on reading.
Jassel
This is it: whatever you think it is, its not. The issue is not the issue. Just choose, now. CHOOSE, dont think.
Sean Adams
Nothing really new in this book but Chandler as usual does well in presenting it.
Ginger
I'd have been better off doing something productive than skimming this lame book.
Emmanuel Ay
Loved it. Short chapters packed with essential truths.
  • Procrastination: Why You Do It, What To Do About It
  • Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals
  • Talk Less, Say More: 3 Habits to Influence Others and Make Things Happen
  • The Practicing Mind: Developing Focus and Discipline in Your Life - Master Any Skill or Challenge by Learning to Love the Process
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • The Power of Eye Contact: Your Secret for Success in Business, Love, and Life
  • Pomodoro Technique Illustrated
  • The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: The Tell-It-Like-It-Is Guide to Cleaning Up in Business, Even If You Are at the End of Your Roll
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • The Procrastination Equation: How to Stop Putting Things Off and Start Getting Stuff Done
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • No More Mr Nice Guy
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
Steve Chandler, bestselling author of 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself, Time Warrior and 30 other books, is known as America's notoriously unorthodox personal growth guru. He has helped thousands of people transform their lives and businesses.

Steve invites you to join his inner circle, the Wealth Warrior Movement, whose sole focus is supporting you in creating greater prosperity for yourself. Join by...more
More about Steve Chandler...
100 Ways to Motivate Yourself: Change Your Life Forever Reinventing Yourself: How to Become the Person You've Always Wanted to Be 100 Ways to Motivate Others: How Great Leaders Can Produce Insane Results Without Driving People Crazy 17 Lies That Are Holding You Back and the Truth That Will Set You Free The Story of You: (And How to Create a New One)

“Not a single person is born in the world who has not a certain capacity which will make him proud, who is not pregnant with something to produce, to give birth to something new and beautiful, to make the existence richer. There is not a single person who has come into the world empty. Osho” 1 likes